Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nightwave Replacement

Fanatic.

Nightwave feels alright, but I want there to be a way to get rewards directly from completing my tasks. It would be cooler if instead of chores and a shop, we could have scheduled missions automated by the server that rewarded players directly with an item, Nitain Extract, or cosmetic when completing the mission. Like the Devstream gifts of the lotus missions. I think it would be much better for players to just do X and earn Y directly. Nightwave levels, rotating shops, and waiting months for lore isn't good for players. Scheduled missions with direct loot that could run on a timer for a few hours would be really nice.

DE could call them Alarms for example.

6 минут назад, Fanatic. сказал:

I would like to get stuff directly like the gift of lotus missions or event rewards.

We had Alert system before Nightwave was implemented (maybe you even remember, considering how old your account is).

Alerts lasted for 30ish minutes, rewards were meh at best and you were lucky if a potato/blueprint/helmet were on when you were online.

vor 1 Minute schrieb Fanatic.:

Bait for what? I don't like Battle Passes. I would like to get stuff directly like the gift of lotus missions or event rewards.

Bait, because

vor 6 Minuten schrieb Fanatic.:

Nightwave feels alright, but I want there to be a way to get rewards directly from completing my tasks. It would be cooler if instead of chores and a shop, we could have scheduled missions automated by the server that rewarded players directly with an item, Nitain Extract, or cosmetic when completing the mission. Like the Devstream gifts of the lotus missions. I think it would be much better for players to just do X and earn Y directly. Nightwave levels, rotating shops, and waiting months for lore isn't good for players. Scheduled missions with direct loot that could run on a timer for a few hours would be really nice.

DE could call them Alarms for example.

We already had alarms once. They were removed, because the time limit with the combination that the alarms won't have what you need has been to random.

With your idea would the time limit be removed, but people will in the end get less of what they need and more what they don't need/ want. As an example imagine there are two alarms with different resources. Player A will be happy, because he need both ressource. Player B will be partly happy, because he only need one ressource so he will just skip the other mission. Player C is unhappy because he don't need both ressources so he will skip both missions. Nightwave might need more work and isn't so direct, but for that can everyone choose what he want to buy with the nightwave creds and won't skip the tasks.

20 minutes ago, Fanatic. said:

Bait for what? I don't like Battle Passes. I would like to get stuff directly like the gift of lotus missions or event rewards.

And I would rather not go back to the system where I waited literal months for the Vauban Neuroptics to appear in an alert at a time when I wasn't working or sleeping because there was literally nothing I could do about it.

Further I don't want to go back to the time of "Watch this alert app for what you want/need until it becomes available; drop literally everything else that you're doing so you can hop on and get it; and then repeat for the next item with absolutely no other way to get what you want/need!"

You're just salty over the removal of the old alert system for some reason, even though the nightwave system is vastly better for much, much, much more of the playerbase and doesn't tie you to the game of "Sit and wait and twiddle your thumbs!  And have absolutely no control over what you get!"  It is so much better to not be tied to waiting for the game to decide for something to be available; and to be forced to do it at certain times of day when its randomly available.
Being able to just complete tasks (with generous time to do so) and then earn credits that you can spend on the items that you want when you need it is just far superior to the old alerts.
No longer do you have to worry "OH I missed out on Nitain because I was AFK....." or "Oh I missed out on a vauban piece because I was sleeping....now it'll be at least a month before that piece runs in another alert" (which was what actually happened with 1-3 months between vauban pieces running in alerts)

Alerts where only better than nightwave if you could drop wahtever you're doing at any time and immediately hop into warframe to run the alert.  Otherwise you just woke up or got home from work and saw "Oh I just missed X Y and Z that I needed....guess I just play another round of waiting and hoping that tis available at a better time so I can actually get it...." with absolutely nothing that could be done to help with that.

Sure nightwave is more work than the old "run a capture get a reward (that was 99% of the time utter trash and useless)" but its so much better because you can actually get what you want/need without worying about sleep/work causing you to just miss out on rewards constantly with literal months between when the reward will go through the system again (seriously, come vauban pieces were on 2-3 month rotation periods....and if that happened to be at a time when you were sleeping then be prepared to wait another 2-3 months before you can get a chance at it.

2 minutes ago, Tsukinoki said:

And I would rather not go back to the system where I waited literal months for the Vauban Neuroptics to appear in an alert at a time when I wasn't working or sleeping because there was literally nothing I could do about it.

Further I don't want to go back to the time of "Watch this alert app for what you want/need until it becomes available; drop literally everything else that you're doing so you can hop on and get it; and then repeat for the next item with absolutely no other way to get what you want/need!"

You're just salty over the removal of the old alert system for some reason, even though the nightwave system is vastly better for much, much, much more of the playerbase and doesn't tie you to the game of "Sit and wait and twiddle your thumbs!  And have absolutely no control over what you get!"  It is so much better to not be tied to waiting for the game to decide for something to be available; and to be forced to do it at certain times of day when its randomly available.
Being able to just complete tasks (with generous time to do so) and then earn credits that you can spend on the items that you want when you need it is just far superior to the old alerts.
No longer do you have to worry "OH I missed out on Nitain because I was AFK....." or "Oh I missed out on a vauban piece because I was sleeping....now it'll be at least a month before that piece runs in another alert" (which was what actually happened with 1-3 months between vauban pieces running in alerts)

Alerts where only better than nightwave if you could drop wahtever you're doing at any time and immediately hop into warframe to run the alert.  Otherwise you just woke up or got home from work and saw "Oh I just missed X Y and Z that I needed....guess I just play another round of waiting and hoping that tis available at a better time so I can actually get it...." with absolutely nothing that could be done to help with that.

Sure nightwave is more work than the old "run a capture get a reward (that was 99% of the time utter trash and useless)" but its so much better because you can actually get what you want/need without worying about sleep/work causing you to just miss out on rewards constantly with literal months between when the reward will go through the system again (seriously, come vauban pieces were on 2-3 month rotation periods....and if that happened to be at a time when you were sleeping then be prepared to wait another 2-3 months before you can get a chance at it.

I can see how that is frustrating. What if the time limit was much more forgiving? Like 24 hours for Vauban and weapons and 12 hours for helmets? I am not trying to come off in a bad way. Sorry there. I just wish to get stuff directly from missions than doing a chore system that honestly makes me want to play less than I already do. I rather just wait till the last day of a season and do all my catch ups in a row than bother doing these daily/weekly. Nightwave isn't very fun and makes the game feel like a second job. I wouldn't want a replacement that also feels like a job. There has to be some middle ground.

I personally don't see why we couldn't have kept Alerts alongside Nightwave. One really isn't an "upgrade" to the other. It's a bit like taking away my Rubico to give me a Kohm as an improved replacement. Like... Why couldn't I have kept both? :)

Its funny how many "change nightwave" or "remove nightwave" posts you see. Almost since their release, there have been usually 1 or 2 consistently per week. Nightwave was meant to replace alert missions that nobody played. Which is fine, but nightwave has problems too, and the way its structured, they can only apply changes and fixes to it, once every few months, or whenever the next nightwave episode is made.

Personally? I agree. They should look to replace nightwave because as glassmaker stretching on almost over a year proved, Not even the developers really care for it. I understand what its made for, something that gives you challenges to tell you what else you can do in the game. But lately it seems they've been using it to give us excuses to play what the challanges are, like the steel path challenges.

which is a bad move, it makes you feel forced to play those game modes, and nobody likes being forced to do something. This was a major flaw of orphix venom and one that seems is going to be sticking around with railjack's orphix venom. It forced the player to use necramechs, therefore making players like and want necramechs less and less. Orphix venom is probably the biggest reason you'll see me use operator over necramechs now. And nightwave challenges seem to have the same flaw, though to a much smaller degree. With how unique the rewards in nightwave are, it practically forces you to do the challenges, burning you out 10x faster on whatever the challenge entails.

9 hours ago, Fanatic. said:

I can see how that is frustrating. What if the time limit was much more forgiving? Like 24 hours for Vauban and weapons and 12 hours for helmets?

Some people can only play on their 'weekend' or even larger interval. NW is fairer to people that can't play for hours every day.

And I say this as someone that can play for several hours most days.

17 hours ago, Joezone619 said:

Nightwave was meant to replace alert missions that nobody played.

Er wut? The best thing about Alerts for me was I could jump in public matchmaking and there'd always be a squad, whatever the mission!

Compare to pubbing the Star Chart, where it was tumbleweed -- unless you hit a loot-cave, where it was just nuke 'frames insta-dissolving every enemy on arrival (yawn).

If by "nobody" played Alerts you mean vets didn't -- well, that's because they had farmed all the goodies long ago. If Nightwave Cred was earned by playing Alerts, everyone would be playing Alerts.

Anyhow, yeah, moving the rewards to a "cred" shop was the right move, but there's no intrinsic reason we couldn't be earning those "creds" by playing Alerts, which were fun, instead of doing chores, which if you didn't find them tedious the first time, you probably will when you've seen them all a dozen times over.

I still prefer the old Alert system compared to Nightwave. They didn't almost constantly push me to the boring content of this game (it's a mileage may vary kind of thing, but fishing, digging, hunting, and the profit taker are literal chores for me) if I wanted to go for the rewards.

Old alerts could simply have a wider duration window and last for days instead of hours if the drop was going to be a significant one such as a potato to offset their randomness.

At the very least I still see no reason to not have them and Nightwave at the same time.

14 hours ago, S074 said:

At the very least I still see no reason to not have them and Nightwave at the same time.

That would change nothing. The people that complain they don't want to do X or Y for NW despite the fact you don't have to do everything to get the normal rewards list done and the people that complain that they missed nitain because they were at work/school/asleep would all still complain that they are "locked out" of completing certain things.

NW with its flexible time to complete, catchup mechanic, and larger pool of items compared to the normal reward list will serve the widest number of people fairly.

On 2021-03-10 at 1:11 AM, Hobie-wan said:

That would change nothing. The people that complain they don't want to do X or Y for NW despite the fact you don't have to do everything to get the normal rewards list done and the people that complain that they missed nitain because they were at work/school/asleep would all still complain that they are "locked out" of completing certain things.

NW with its flexible time to complete, catchup mechanic, and larger pool of items compared to the normal reward list will serve the widest number of people fairly.

This doesn't disprove what I said. There is no reason to not have both.

On 2021-03-10 at 2:11 AM, Hobie-wan said:

That's a fundamental issue with Nightwave's roots as a Battle Pass. By its very nature, a Battle Pass needs to accomplish two things: It needs to instill FOMO into people and push them into playing on the game's schedule, and it needs to force people into engaging with content they don't like. Nightwave could easily have given us more choice. They could have let us reroll a Weekly per week. They could have easily given us mutually-exclusive Weekly tasks. Say we have 10 tasks, but the list locks down once we complete 5. They could have given us a full season's worth of tasks, then let us plan our path and run through 7 of them per week.

There are a lot of things that DE could have done to Nightwave to grant people more agency over their own experience. By this point, the only conclusion one can draw is that they don't WANT to. Nightwave is designed to psychologically nudge us into playing Warframe against our own self-interest, and that's why it's going to keep generating negative press forever. Many - like myself - criticised it severely when it came out. We may have put up with it and resigned ourselves to work with what we have, but you can bet money at least I'm going to take every opportunity I run across to remind people just how anti-consumer the whole system is.

Unless and until DE choose to give players more agency in Nightwave, you're going to keep hearing a low-level rumbling about it.

On 2021-03-07 at 7:00 PM, Fanatic. said:

well, maybe not bait, but the point is that if you would have cared about to just search the forum about this you could have noticed all the crusader-threads that were fought because of you suggested (yet again). so, that why this tenno called your thread 'bait' - at the very least, it's unnecessary to open a new one for this when you could have just chose one of the many others (that aren't closed by mods for getting out of hand) and post your opinion there (and yes, your pov are already mentioned over and over again in this matter but you are free to do it again - even by open a new round... but don't expect others to take kindly on it, as you can see now ^^)

Archived