The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Parazon finishers/Mercy kills could be to Warframe what glory kills are for Doom if DE allowed it

Doc501

I don't want to make a wall of text, so I'll just summarize a few short points:

• Mercy kills' ties with Impact damage needs to be severed
  • Mercy kills should ALWAYS drop 1 health orb, and 1 energy orb, and maybe even a universal ammo drop or something.
    • Early on, new players don't have a reliable way to generate energy or health so this should become a tool to be able to rely on, rather than just some fancy gimmick. Same goes for frames that aren't self-sufficient
  • Mercy kill states shouldn't activate at 5% health; that's just ridiculous considering how quickly things die in this game
    • Instead, when an enemy "dies" they have a 15-25% chance to enter an "agony" state for a few seconds, basically an extremely slow and "agonized" death animation, in which they will be open for a mercy kill, hence the name, mercy kill. I feel that this option would allow for a much more reliable way to execute mercy kills since in later stages of the game, you won't be able to purposely leave an enemy with such a low health percentage without outright killing them.
  • Mercy kill animations need to be slightly sped up, resume control to the player much sooner, and some of the clunkier animations (the hook pull from behind, the frontal jump slap to the face, etc) should either be tweaked to flow nicely or just removed.
    • Some of the finisher animation look really cool and seem to maintain momentum, such as the slide stab, or the one that flips over the enemy and stabs them in the head before landing behind them, but others kill all sense of speed and seem impractical.

In short, I think parazon could be more than just some overlooked gimmick. I'd love to see it utilized frequently. It would be great if eventually it had a larger range of mods that give bonuses after mercy kills so one can actually utilize it as a tool that is reliable and useful in game, because quite frankly, I don't wanna see such a badass mechanic be forgotten and useless as inevitably will.

(link to reddit thread here.)

i think they actually added a parzon mod that somewhat does the restore ammo thing but it doesn't restores energy ...

and yea its very difficult to get an enemy to 5% whit out over killing it and the few times i have had enemies in the perfect condition to parazon in comes my sentinel and shoots it in the face . 

There are already mods for ammo, life and energy in the game. And we seriously don't need any more parazon contrivances. It is bad enough that we vault about when performing finishers and have quicktime events at a point, where mobs usually die a fraction of a second later. It is a bad system, but it can get worse.

3 hours ago, Yrkul said:

There are already mods for ammo, life and energy in the game. And we seriously don't need any more parazon contrivances. It is bad enough that we vault about when performing finishers and have quicktime events at a point, where mobs usually die a fraction of a second later. It is a bad system, but it can get worse.

The Parazon is mainly just for hacking. Mercy Kills in their current state is just a more fancy finisher that offers nothing at all without the appropriate Mercy Kill mods. They should have a purpose other than for Nightwave challenges or for shanking Kuva Thralls/Kuva Liches.

@Doc501 's suggestions would make the Parazon Mercy Kill more complemental to new players while giving Mercy Kills more of an impact and purpose in the game.

Also, may I suggest that when Mercy Killing an enemy, the Affinity gained is enhanced:

• Affinity multiplied by 3X
  • Affinity Distribution for equipment is no longer divided evenly; all equipment gets the same amount

An example, 2400 Affinity is given to all current equipment without being divided evenly. Warframes, all weapons, and Companions (if possible their weapons). Normally a weapon kill would split 50% of the Affinity to the weapon and the Warframe. An ability kill would just transfer all the Affinity to your Warframe.

• Affinity Range shares the enhanced Affinity Distribution aforementioned.

6 hours ago, Doc501 said:

I don't want to make a wall of text, so I'll just summarize a few short points:

• Mercy kills' ties with Impact damage needs to be severed

If anything it should be increased made guaranteed if enemy is impact procced and hits below 20% hp and threshold increased with more procs up 65% instead of being RNG.

6 hours ago, Doc501 said:
  • Mercy kills should ALWAYS drop 1 health orb, and 1 energy orb, and maybe even a universal ammo drop or something.

The 3 cheapest easiest to access mods for parazon do that (well every 2 parazon kills for energy).

I fully agree; it's so sad that Parazon finisher animations are literally unused except for Lich farming. I think Impact increasing chances of Mercy kills is alright, but the Mercy threshold needs to be increased to like 25% hp for instakill.

Kinda related but wouldn't it be cool if Ash had special dual Parazons for assassinations? His Parazons could passively have a higher instakill threshold at like 50%, and it could synergize with his 3 (using Parazon finisher on 3 if threshold met). His 4 could also have added functionality instakill below 50% and proc your Parazon mods. Seems like a waste that he only uses those blade things for his 4 on top of having a Parazon (when the blades could just be Parazons).

ASWB-2.png

First I gotta say yes, Parazon should be the doom chainsaw...

9 hours ago, Doc501 said:

Instead, when an enemy "dies" they have a 15-25% chance to enter an "agony" state for a few seconds, basically an extremely slow and "agonized" death animation, in which they will be open for a mercy kill, hence the name, mercy kill. I feel that this option would allow for a much more reliable way to execute mercy kills since in later stages of the game, you won't be able to purposely leave an enemy with such a low health percentage without outright killing them.

But this... I've never liked this. I don't think it is a good system to have us be rewarded by having an enemy we killed not die. Not only does it take control away from the player, it also takes away from the power fantasy. I know this is what keeps being suggested by that one streamer you totally weren't inspired by when you wrote these threads, but the problem still stands.

Let's take another look at the doom chainsaw. Not only is it the thing that fuels your murder, it is a strategic tool that you use on your terms to take out enemies you deem need to die. Apply that exact same concept to Warframe based on a system that already exists, Syndicate weapon procs.

• Gathering affinity from any source (your kills or ally kills) builds up a Parazon charge. When you have a Parazon charge you can walk up to any enemy, regardless of their current health, and kill them.

This puts the power of the Parazon fully in our hands, not when RNG decides to let us. It not only retains the power fantasy but further empowers it and opens up new strategies pertaining to when you use your Parazon and who you use your Parazon on.

If this wasn't inspired by the rant on a popular stream earlier today my apologies. That is one hell of a coincidence.

Glory kills from Doom, along with Assassin's Creed's hidden blade, are probably what inspired the Parazon and its finishers in the first place. I can agree with giving newer players better access to key resources such as health or Energy, because the game fails to give enough of either to newer players and accidentally ends up turning their missions in to battles of attrition, which really isn't what Warframe is about at all. However, I don't know if the Parazon is the best way to implement that, because it requires an additional button prompt for something that by all rights should just be baked in. The entire Parazon system has been redundant from the start, giving us nothing we needed or didn't have already, and even with better rewards, more reliability, and quicker animations, it's unlikely to really have a place of its own, especially if its main purpose becomes less useful as we progress. If the Parazon's biggest contribution is to give us more health and Energy, we might as well just improve how orbs drop as a baseline.

Archived