Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Guide to AFK Watching for Twitch Drop 2.0

xiaodenden

Question

We all would love to be able to watch streams live and grab the rewards, but many of us can't for various reasons. Maybe you're like me and live in a time zone when I'm sound asleep during many of the stream slots, or maybe you have real life obligations that won't allow you to be watch stream (job, schools, etc.). I was partially inspired by @Slayer-.'s advice given in the Warframe Twitch Drops 2.0 thread but I also incorporated a few things I've learned from my own experience.

Click on the spoilers for screenshot. This method doesn't work for Chrome, but it does work on Firefox and Edge.

1. Click on chat to open the Stream Chat

Spoiler

Ev7MHt9UYAEQyrV?format=jpg

2. click on |-> to hide the stream chat. I don't know if this is necessary or not, but it works for me.

Spoiler

Ev7Xr9XVIAQiQlG?format=jpg

3. Hit play. You'll see the spinning circle, but when the stream is live, it will play. When the stream is over, you should be able to check in your Twitch inventory to claim your drop.

Spoiler

Ev7Mdr6VgAM8awv?format=jpg

You do have to make some changes to your OS and browser or else the above method won't work. Click on the spoiler for details, but basically you don't want your OS or tab with twitch page opened to sleep before or during the stream.

Spoiler

This is for Edge. Go to System setting under Save resources and you can add twitch to the list of "never put these sites to sleep." You could also change the number of hours of inactivity before putting inactive tabs to sleep. Either way works so up to you!

Ev7ODXiVIAso35O?format=jpg

If you're using Windows 10, go to Power & Sleep part of the setting and adjust the sleep setting. I use Never, but you change to something that works for you.

Ev7OcjWVoAMdaIL?format=jpg

If you follow this method, you should be able to get your Twitch Drop if you were successful in relinking your Warframe account to your Twitch account. You'll only be able to get one drop per hour stream if the drop rate is 30 min per drop. This is because you'll have to actively claim the completed drop first before the next cycle begins.  If other people found other ways of doing afk watching and getting their twitch drop to work, I'd love to hear from you. I'm curious if anyone is able to get Chrome or apps/browsers to work. If you're using other OS, I'd love to hear from you too.

Here's the guide in tweet form: https://twitter.com/studiocyen/status/1368757117813858311 

Happy hunting~

10 answers to this question

Nice post, thank you for the mention.

I use the installed Twitch Program, or for you youngins out there the Twitch App. ;)

Given what's dropping this week I'm going to use it to do some if it fails it doesn't matter tests. I have every Focus school finished, I'd only be collecting them.

Was it this post you were thinking of or one of the others. I've put it in a Spoiler so not to confuse players reading your post.

Spoiler

https://forums.warframe.com/topic/1249107-warframe-twitch-drops-20-now-live/?do=findComment&comment=12051876

Cmu0lmK.png

After you switch from the above screen shot view to this one below the chat window will be active, red line points to the button you use to open and close the Streams Chat.

YcwlfZZ.png

Edit:
I have edge I might try the sleep thingy see how I go on W7Ultimate64.

Edit: 
I didn't have it on this computer, it's on the gaming machine, so installed it and only added Twitch to favs and did the power setting.

So no excuse for something else stealing or blocking something while only using it for one purpose Twitch.

Though I'll still test out my standalone Twitch as well.

20 minutes ago, Slayer-. said:

Nice post, thank you for the mention.

I use the installed Twitch Program, or for you youngins out there the Twitch App. ;)

Given what's dropping this week I'm going to use it to do some if it fails it doesn't matter tests. I have every Focus school finished, I'd only be collecting them.

Was it this post you were thinking of or one of the others. I've put it in a Spoiler so not to confuse players reading your post.

Hide contents

https://forums.warframe.com/topic/1249107-warframe-twitch-drops-20-now-live/?do=findComment&comment=12051876

Cmu0lmK.png

After you switch from the above screen shot view to this one below the chat window will be active, red line points to the button you use to open and close the Streams Chat.

YcwlfZZ.png

Edit:

I always give proper credits to people, and your post definitely put me on the right path figuring out afk watching so thanks! :D Aye, thanks for digging up that reply. I wanted to include the post but my quick search wasn't very fruitful. Glad you posted your reply so now it's part of the conversation! <3

Before drop 2.0 went live (January this year?), Edge's inactive tab function was introduced and I had to change the settings to get afk watching to work again. I figure some people might not realize that so I added a note about that. Thank goodness for the mini Octavia noggle campaign because I was awake to test things. Felt a bit weird to get drops while doing my stream though, haha.

Ooh, I'll have to try afk watching on the app. I have the app installed on my phone but I don't use it that often. I notice that lately watching stream on Chrome has been weird. It was saying I was watching stream on third party software which was absolutely strange because I wasn't. Maybe there are some bad interactions between Chrome and Twitch that breaks afk watching? Who knows. XD

Thanks again for your helpful advice!

4 hours ago, xiaodenden said:

Ooh, I'll have to try afk watching on the app. I have the app installed on my phone but I don't use it that often. I notice that lately watching stream on Chrome has been weird. It was saying I was watching stream on third party software which was absolutely strange because I wasn't. Maybe there are some bad interactions between Chrome and Twitch that breaks afk watching? Who knows. XD

Thanks again for your helpful advice!

Chrome always gave me a video error for buffering problems, which is funny seeing I have some of the fastest net in Australia.
Though I fixed that by setting the quality to 480, then turn I it up to source stream when I go to watch it.

The app you refer, yes it is on phones, I have it also on my phone, what I was referring to is my Twitch program/software I have installed on my computer, It's separate to any web-browser and it has always worked flawlessly. Here is the link to look at it depending on which OS one you're after.

Also, be careful if you're watching it with more than 1 device (i.e. PC and android phone), your "watch progress" might get reset. For example:

1. Starts watching on Android phone at 1:00am
  2. Starts watching on PC at 1:30am <- this might reset your watch progress back to 0 to 3%

I use Android phone because in the past (drop 1.0), this was more reliable for me to get the drops. I usually use PC just to claim the drops (drop 2.0), not for watching. 

20 hours ago, Slayer-. said:

Edit:

Edit: 
I didn't have it on this computer, it's on the gaming machine, so installed it and only added Twitch to favs and did the power setting.

So no excuse for something else stealing or blocking something while only using it for one purpose Twitch.

Though I'll still test out my standalone Twitch as well.

Well Edge failed for the first drop, not only had it put me to away in Twitch, when I looked at it this morning I had this below message, not sure if it was because I was using Twitch on a new web browser or not, will try some more testing.

The broadcaster has indicated that this channel is intended for mature audiences.
 Start Watching

I think because of that above message it nuked my stream viewing.

Spoiler

End Date: Fri, Mar 12, 1 PM GMT+11

Drops Campaign Image

To continue the progress, go to a participating live channel including /warframe and /warframeinternational

Reward Image Icon

Greater (Lens) Grab Bag

0% of 30 minutes

I'll try Edge tonight one more time before I switch back to my Twitch software installed on my computer.

I will persist until I WIN.

18 hours ago, (XBOX)Apoll0 666 said:

Oof, this will be helpful, as someone who has school and siblings to take care of at times I dont always get time to watch stuff, plenty of playtime though lol

Let me know if it works for you! 

17 hours ago, RougeMagma said:

Also, be careful if you're watching it with more than 1 device (i.e. PC and android phone), your "watch progress" might get reset. For example:

1. Starts watching on Android phone at 1:00am
  2. Starts watching on PC at 1:30am <- this might reset your watch progress back to 0 to 3%

I use Android phone because in the past (drop 1.0), this was more reliable for me to get the drops. I usually use PC just to claim the drops (drop 2.0), not for watching. 

Oh, that I didn't know about! I'll have to be mindful of not watching on multiple devices. Thanks so much for your helpful advice!

11 hours ago, Slayer-. said:

Well Edge failed for the first drop, not only had it put me to away in Twitch, when I looked at it this morning I had this below message, not sure if it was because I was using Twitch on a new web browser or not, will try some more testing.

The broadcaster has indicated that this channel is intended for mature audiences.
 Start Watching

I think because of that above message it nuked my stream viewing.

Oh, I agree that the error caused your stream viewing. I admire your dedication to the cause and good luck! I hope you can get afk watching on Edge as well. 👀

I never paid attention to the desktop Twitch app. I guess I could give it a try, haha.

The thing I am disliking is I need to actively watch the % to claim the drop otherwise (like what happened to me today) I could have claimed the drop like 10min into the stream but claimed it at 40min since I was playing a the same time and not paying attention to the %. 

The % should just role over into the next drop bag instead of resting once you claim. Little unfair to miss out when you have watched the full hour. 

Is there anyway to auto claim so I don't need to keep my attention on the %?

Well today's Stream was a clusterf*** for me, I was up to start it manually, had to leave the computer for a bit came back and for some unknown reason the Warframe channel I started it on was suddenly another stream not even related to Warframe, so went I back to the Warframe channel and sat there to make sure it didn't switch again, very weird, must be gremlins lol.

Got the drop plus yesterdays because the bar was so close, so I guess all ok, but my auto system in still in flux with my tests.

Too add: No I didn't hit any back buttons or clicked on another channel, nope the cat didn't step on a keyboard button, was too busy sleeping. 

Today's Stream worked set to full auto using my below method, though today I did leave the chat open and showing.

Spoiler

Cmu0lmK.png

YcwlfZZ.png

This is what I used today for the Twitch stream it's a program/software I have installed on my computer, It's separate to any web-browser.

Going to do the exact same thing for the next stream.

I only get one grabbag but at least it's working so far.

Maybe I got lucky. UeTBSft.gif

Anyway I'm off to watch the stream.

----------------

@xiaodenden Just doing my updates in the same post so not to waste post space.

############################################
Update: 17/03/2021 7:00 am Wednesday Australian time. 
Got the stream to work today in auto, was also up at the time so got the first grabbag then got the second grabbag.
Update: 18/03/2021 1:00 am Thursday Australian time. 
Got the stream to work today in auto, was also up at the time so got the first grabbag then got the second grabbag.
Update: 19/03/2021 10:00 am Friday Australian time.
Got the stream to work today in auto, was also up at the time to watch if it worked. Only got the 5th grabbag and no more because of the 5 limit.

So it seems my auto mode is working fully again in my Twitch program that's installed on my PC computer, time will tell, I'll report back if things change.

Archived