Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Discord Community

SephirothWS

So I have had a ticket in with Warframe Support regarding the problem I am having with the Official Discord Community. I do not own a mobile phone. There is a setting that someone at DE has decided to enable which discriminates against us non-mobile phone owners. This setting is that highest security level requirement for joining the community Discord.

jegtKYS.png

As you can see, my text box is replaced with something rather discriminatory here. "You must verify your identity by phone before you can send messages in this server." with a button to use Discord's phone verification system (That's beyond broken and discriminatory) before I can do anything. As I lack a phone, I cannot do anything in the Discord Community. Discord's phone verification system blocks all of the SMS messaging services I have access to on the bounds of its either:

• A VoIP service (Google Voice is my only SMS-capable service.)
  • A Burner phone
  • A Prepaid phone

As a result, I am permanently locked out, and both Discord Support refuse to assist me as well as Warframe support continues to ignore my request. Financially, I cannot afford a mobile phone. Those things are far too expensive for someone living on a fixed income.

Edit: This was placed in Feedback/General, it got moved to general discussion in general. This is feedback as I want something to change somewhere, as I cannot partake in the Discord Community.

8 minutes ago, LillyRaccune said:

Do you have a friend or family member with a mobile?

No.

8 minutes ago, LillyRaccune said:

You don't have to own the phone to make verification work.

Using the phone locks it to one account.

WjbfJhW.png

I don't want to take away from someone else being able to use their phone for this discriminatory practice. This second line above was added AFTER I started trying to light fires under Discord Support's staff's bottoms regarding the broken system.

You are using the idea of discrimination here for access to a chat service...really?

What life-level data, etc. could access to a Discord channel for a video game possibly provide you?

Is it a 'bad plan' on DE's or Discord part? Perhaps.

But 'discrimination'? No one is preventing you from a job/life opportunity by not being able to join a game chat cue to some short sighted programming.

That's a bit far-fetched, IMO.

On giant discords you absolutely need to take steps that not any idiot can come on and spout random slurs. Requiring a phone verified account makes it much harder to create throw away spam accounts. You not having a phone is unfortunate but cant stand in the way of preventing a flood of throw away accounts.

2 minutes ago, OperatorLeo said:

how does Discord know you are using a prepaid phone?

Their verification system seems to detect what carrier a number is attached to, and blocks them unless they're one of the big major non-prepaid, non-voip carriers (Sprint, Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, and so on). ...

Is it an income issue or are you not in the US, OP? In the US, you can get a cellphone if you're poor enough as part of a charity program. I recently got a (very primitive) smartphone, and had a junky no frills cellphone from the program before that.

This is the company I went through. If it doesn't help you, maybe it will help others.

http://assurancewireless.com/

It is an income issue, as well as an issue with companies thinking 100% of the worlds' population has these stupid devices. I've never had the need to have one of these devices, nor do I feel I should have to go out of my way to get a device if I can otherwise get by without, which I have for years. I'm not poor enough for lifeline, but I also cannot do away with something else just to afford one of those expensive devices alongside its required service.

6 minutes ago, SephirothWS said:

It is an income issue, as well as an issue with companies thinking 100% of the worlds' population has these stupid devices. I've never had the need to have one of these devices, nor do I feel I should have to go out of my way to get a device if I can otherwise get by without, which I have for years. I'm not poor enough for lifeline, but I also cannot do away with something else just to afford one of those expensive devices alongside its required service.

While I can empathize with your position having been poor enough to get thrown out into the street as a child, companies also have restrictions and other risks with which they have to deal, and therefore must rely on technology that is not always available to every consumer.

I cannot disagree that many in the world get less products and services by not using the technology being pushed, but at the same time, that technology is what allows these companies to provide the services they do and without that technology, they could not provide these services.

When we start taking about two companies interacting and the sheer number of consumers involved, no company can really insure they serve all consumers exactly the same way, using off the shelf technology and integrations between multiple authentication systems.

As has been stated here, if there is a better approach to insuring an individual is who they say they are, that DE can afford to implement and maintain, then I imagine a lot of companies would jump on it, as verifying that a person is who they say they are and not a bot or a other scammer is not simple, my company sells the products and services that provide that verification and they are not cheap or easy.

I understand the frustration, but this is one of technologies current 'big hurdles' and I don't see DE and Discord being the 'leaders' here, they just use what they have available, that they can afford to implement and maintain.

1 hour ago, Zimzala said:

You are using the idea of discrimination here for access to a chat service...really?

What life-level data, etc. could access to a Discord channel for a video game possibly provide you?

Is it a 'bad plan' on DE's or Discord part? Perhaps.

But 'discrimination'? No one is preventing you from a job/life opportunity by not being able to join a game chat cue to some short sighted programming.

That's a bit far-fetched, IMO.

Honestly. I can't use discord servers sometimes because of this reason because I don't pay for service. I could download a phone app which gives phone numbers to use on wifi but still, it's literally not a big enough deal for me to do that. Don't know why this person is talking like this.

3 minutes ago, (XBOX)Apoll0 666 said:

I could download a phone app which gives phone numbers to use on wifi

I have actually tried this too, using Bluestacks on my PC.. Discord's verification system can somehow detect those and denies using those numbers for verification as well. Hence why I called it as such earlier.

Just now, SephirothWS said:

I have actually tried this too. Discord's verification system can somehow detect those and denies using those numbers for verification as well.

Ah, thought that might happen, well the best I could suggest is instead of joining the #1 club just join the #2 club, find a warframe server thats just as big without needing phone verification. I love Ashisogi Tenno's content on youtube but his discord is unavailable to me for this reason also, I suggest finding an alternative, which I've found the forums to be for me.

Archived