Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Full powered pvp in the open worlds.

Trusnam

Warframe used to have a pvp "game-mode" (it was a sort of player event thing) that had players using all of their normal mods and equipment. Initially it was hot garbage, but still managed to be a ton of stupid fun. The major downside to it was that, well everyone was way overpowered, but I think mainly it was just that everyone was op and in too close of a proximity to eachother. 

Now I really don't think it should be brought back with a serious attitude (warframes fighting eachother is comically fast as is) but I think it could be at least interesting to have it back as sort of a meme along with a version that can take place in one or any of the open maps the game has to give player some space to see if they can snipe eachother or something before they get close. 

As for rewards, I'd suggest just giving the players that win the matches access to something minor, but meaningful (like a booster of some kind and not mods or standing for mods) and people can only get the winner's rewards once per day (so people don't feel like they have to spam the most op builds).

Yeah, dumb idea, yes. But that's sort of the point I was making when I said it was "a ton of stupid fun" so shrugs. Tell me whatever.

I feel like "stupid fun" is the sort of thing that's missing from much of Warframe. The "supr srs grimdark" tone really doesn't jive well with the fact we're able to obliterate armies at the press of a button and "mission failure" is a joke for 90% of the game. (As far as I'm concerned, the Sentient faction is the only one that can consistently pull off that sort of tone.)

PvP isn't an exception either, and while there's certainly a place for proper, balanced, fair competition, I've had more than a few matches devolve to "crab battle" hold-ctrl-and-bow-only. And that was fun. Same kind of fun as Kela's waterpark event.

I certainly wouldn't go for such a "one and done" reward, though. It'd probably make finding matches even harder than finding regular Conclave pub matches, just because people would pop in for just one match and then leave. And putting importance on the victor kind of curtails the "dumb fun" aspect: it's harder to muck around if you're trying to be good, especially if you're not good. Personally, I'd be more for it if it gave even 1k participation standing with no effect from kills - just to give players a less serious / stressful way of getting Conclave standing and a reason to keep playing for a bit.

2 hours ago, Trusnam said:

Now I really don't think it should be brought back with a serious attitude (warframes fighting eachother is comically fast as is) but I think it could be at least interesting to have it back as sort of a meme along with a version that can take place in one or any of the open maps the game has to give player some space to see if they can snipe eachother or something before they get close. 

Yeah this would be fun! You're right, no balance is necessary when it isn't taken seriously. People could even do tournaments where player loadouts are predetermined - so "balance" could be self imposed for those who are serious about it. 

I think you're right that a sort of sniper instagib on an open map would be really enjoyable. 

One point of criticism: The open worlds are probably too big, something like Kela's water-fight island might be more appropriately sized. Can also do open worlds where certain regions are inaccessible, etc...

17 minutes ago, Tyreaus said:

I certainly wouldn't go for such a "one and done" reward, though. It'd probably make finding matches even harder than finding regular Conclave pub matches, just because people would pop in for just one match and then leave. And putting importance on the victor kind of curtails the "dumb fun" aspect: it's harder to muck around if you're trying to be good, especially if you're not good. Personally, I'd be more for it if it gave even 1k participation standing with no effect from kills - just to give players a less serious / stressful way of getting Conclave standing and a reason to keep playing for a bit.

Okay yeah, so no once per day thing. You're totally right there. My thoughts were that I wanted it to still feel good for being the winner for more than just winning, just because I personally don't really enjoy getting into a game for the sake of winning until after I've started playing. So I would need some incentive to at least start, but I didn't want the reward to be totally essential or a must have, just something nice to have. 
Maybe the wining would just grant a smaller version of the boosters. Like you get a buff for winning that grants 10% bonus affinity and drop chances for 3 hours. Just something small and non essential, but something that grants enough to feel worth the little effort. 
I'm totally open to more ideas though. I only just put this idea together on the day of this post so I bet if DE decided to add it they'd like more ideas to bounce off of too.

19 minutes ago, Sevek7 said:

One point of criticism: The open worlds are probably too big, something like Kela's water-fight island might be more appropriately sized. Can also do open worlds where certain regions are inaccessible, etc...

That's about the same size as the original missions were and there was more cover. The problem with the original version was that nuke frames could nuke the entire field. It was still fun in a way being crammed close enough for a max range Saryn to almost always be in threat range because when you respawned you'd have invincibility for a bit and you could rush up during that time for revenge. 
There were also more than just 4 players in those missions though. IT was a total madhouse. But yeah if we only got 4 players the open worlds would at least need to be cut down to at least a third of the plains or something around that range.
Not really sure though, as it would probably need some play testing to figure out how big a map would need to be to really see how fun it could be. 

9 minutes ago, Trusnam said:

Maybe the wining would just grant a smaller version of the boosters. Like you get a buff for winning that grants 10% bonus affinity and drop chances for 3 hours. Just something small and non essential, but something that grants enough to feel worth the little effort.

Another thought I just had while replying was that maybe we could get a small boost like that so long as you just got a single kill during the game instead of getting the most kills to win the entire game. 
Heck maybe it could just be an open area that people can just join in like a relay, but with multiple entrances and respawn points (to prevent spawn camping and such). 

1 hour ago, Drasiel said:

As long as it's a separate conclave thing sure, it would probably be fun for pvp people. I just don't want this to happen when doing public bounties because almost nothing would be more annoying.

true

That'll be a novelty at best. An unbalanced mode like that might be fun for the first few times but it won't survive long.

There's only so many times that you can get one shot by a single bullet from an auto before it would get boring. 

5 hours ago, project_eulogy said:

No thanks. Look at how many people PVP currently. It would be another orb vallis, lots of spent development time for something that really belongs in the trash lol

Good point! DE should stick with the core formula. They have built a community around this core and should continue to please those players. They have found a niche in the gaming world and should do whatever they can to hold on to it. 

Most players joined Warframe because they enjoyed the PvE missions on nodes in the various planets, playing as powerful Warframes with a large arsenal of weapons. DE should stick to this, and should absolutely never try anything different. Definitely don't add things like PvP to entice other groups of players. Definitely don't add open worlds. Definitely don't add pets. Definitely don't add operators. Definitely don't add spaceflight. Definitely don't add mechs. Definitely don't add any new game-modes of any type.

Video game success hinges on building a community and then keeping that community only, and never trying to expand to other groups of players. 

Or does it? 

Archived