Is it against the rules to buy your friend prime access so they can trade over the plat?

(NSW)ToppestShrek

Question

Prime access comes with 2625 plat and cost $80 dollars. 2100 plat costs $100. Is it against the rules to send my friend Nintendo Switch eShop codes so they can buy prime access and in return give me the plat so I can get the plat cheaper? I already have prime access so I can't buy it again. I mean it's a win win for my friend and me because they get Octavia Prime with weapons for free and I get discounted plat but it's not really a win for DE because they lose 20 bucks which is why I have a suspicion that it might be against the rules.

15 minutes ago, (NSW)ToppestShrek said:

so they can buy prime access and in return give me the plat so I can get the plat cheaper

Trades like this rise the flag for DE because it may suggest that plat is being traded for something not connected to the game (real cash for example) what is against ToS and can possibly get you and your friend banned.

Edited by (PSN)NAJNIR

How would it be against it? It's literally you spending money on your own account followed by gifting someone else plat you purchased. It's like saying it would be against any rules if you bought the cards yourself or got them as a birthday gift and gave the plat away. There's literally nothing illegal going on and no 3rd party like ebay sellers profits from it or "steals " money from Nintendo or DE. Only DE and Nintendo get the profit.

Mind you, that's not meant to be the correct answer but it would make no sense for it to be forbidden in my eyes.

Edited by (PSN)Deeceem

Being traded the plat shouldn't trigger anything as long as the second account is not yours. I give my partner plat all the time after getting a 75%/PA.

Others have been suspended because the second account they trade with are generally alt accounts to bypass riven limits, additional discounts, etc. which is the only thing that's really specified as being against the rules beyond the obvious no-rmt.

5 minutes ago, (PSN)Deeceem said:

How would it be against it? It's literally you spending money on your own account followed by gifting someone else plat you purchased. It's like saying it would be against any rules if you bought the cards yourself and gave the plat away.

If this wasn't against the terms of service then no one would buy plat normally. They would create sock accounts, buy them prime access, and transfer the plat back to their main account to get more plat for their money.

The fact there's a real person at the "sock" account in this case makes no difference.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, (PSN)Deeceem said:

How would it be against it? It's literally you spending money on your own account followed by gifting someone else plat you purchased. It's like saying it would be against any rules if you bought the cards yourself or got them as a birthday gift and gave the plat away. There's literally nothing illegal going on and no 3rd party like ebay sellers profits from it or "steals " money from Nintendo or DE. Only DE and Nintendo get the profit.

It isn't the OP spending money on their own account tho. It is them paying Prime Access for someone else and then that someone trading the plat to the OP.

The correct thing to do here is ask support about it. Worst case scenario is getting both accounts flagged and banned for RMT.

Well, you are Gifting the PA to your friend and purchasing it legitimately so it is in his right to do whatever he pleases with the plat even if that means giving it to you, as long as its not purchased from 3rd party i believe there should be no issues.

As you describe it my take is that it would be against the rules. According to the EULA:

g. exploit the Software, the Service, the Game experience or any portion thereof for any commercial purpose, including without limitation, (i) use at a cyber cafe, computer gaming center or any other location-based site without the express written consent of Digital Extremes; (ii) for gathering in-game currency, items or resources for sale outside the Software; or (iii) performing in-game services in exchange for payment outside the Software (e.g., power-leveling and similar activities);

Though in practical terms it is a bit tricky, since gifting plat is allowed and trading for insane and/or stupid prices is allowed. And your deals with a friend outside Warframe is of no concern to DE, unless you explicitly connect it to things within the game yourself (which you kind of did in your post...).

- - -

This has been a recurring discussion, since we are a group of friends with grown-ups (having jobs and "lots of money" for Warframe 🤑) and students & teenagers still in school (having no extra money for Warframe 😭), even members of the same family playing together. Our take is that it is ok to gift plat (or stuff costing plat, like boosters) to friends. Period. Gifting is not prohibited, and DE and content providers also gift plat (though it is called a "prize"). And giving to the needy probably allows you into Tenno heaven as well (where you can re-roll all your rivens for free, all boosters are on all the time and nothing is ever vaulted), so...

It's mostly a way to make some parts of the game equally meaningful to all participants (example: it totally sucks being the one without a resource booster on a team of friends currently focusing on Steel Essence or Vitus Essence farming, and if the whole team are friends it sucks for the ones having a booster too). None (of us) have been banned yet, and we try to do this as cleanly and transparently as possible. If DE would contact (or ban) one of us we are hoping that an explanation and the game data would be enough to clear it (we have been friends for years, in Warframe, and we play together a lot). And we would never trade plat or anything else for real money, ever. Because paragraph 2, section g, part ii in the EULA is pretty gdamn clear: that is NOT allowed.

Edited by Graavarg
  • Like 1

vor 27 Minuten schrieb (PSN)drpunk-yo:

If this wasn't against the terms of service then no one would buy plat normally. They would create sock accounts, buy them prime access, and transfer the plat back to their main account to get more plat for their money.

The fact there's a real person at the "sock" account in this case makes no difference.

I mean, yeah. If that gets organized and someone buys themselves 100 prime access packs via alt accounts to get cheaper plat I can see that but that's not what OP asks about.

vor 26 Minuten schrieb Leyvonne:

It isn't the OP spending money on their own account tho. It is them paying Prime Access for someone else and then that someone trading the plat to the OP.

The correct thing to do here is ask support about it. Worst case scenario is getting both accounts flagged and banned for RMT.

That would mean getting a card gifted or money gifted to buy a card (not using your own money) and then spending the plat or giving it away and spending plat in general would be against the rules by default because DE can't see how you got the money/card to purchase from them - literally every person you give plat could be the one who gave you a card outside of DE's vision and thus be a rule violation - and that would be really dumb. I'm not saying it might not be against any rules. Just "it's not your money being used to buy the product"  can't possibly be the defining factor.

Edited by (PSN)Deeceem

18 minutes ago, (PSN)Deeceem said:

I mean, yeah. If that gets organized and someone buys themselves 100 prime access packs via alt accounts to get cheaper plat I can see that but that's not what OP asks about.

That would mean getting a card gifted or money gifted to buy a card (not using your own money) and then spending the plat or giving it away and spending plat in general would be against the rules by default because DE can't see how you got the money/card to purchase from them - literally every person you give plat could be the one who gave you a card outside of DE's vision and thus be a rule violation - and that would be really dumb. I'm not saying it might not be against any rules. Just "it's not your money being used to buy the product"  can't possibly be the defining factor.

From a moral point of view it's fine but unfortunately each individual situation is not viewed on a case to case basis so therefore it could be flagged and seeing as such things are all automated, moral grey areas and common sense are not determining factors for decision making. At that point it becomes a case of contacting support and explaining the situation and having any potential offense reversed.

19 minutes ago, (PSN)Deeceem said:

I'm not sure what you're getting at. Why 1 person and 100 prime access packs? What about 100 people buying 1 each?

You asked why it's against "it". I've tried to explain why it is. The actual question being asked isn't much more than "Can I buy prime access twice?" of which the answer is a pretty simple no. The answer to "Can I buy prime access twice using a second account?" (which is what the OP asks) is no different to the first question.

The answer to "Why can't I buy prime access more than once?" would be because of the discounted platinum it contains.

It doesn't need to be more complicated than that.

Take none of the opinions here as valid.  Ask a GM.

edit: and even that might not be enough, it could still get flagged by automated anti-cheat/hacking software.

Edited by mkah_mvet
  • Like 1

This is seriously a situation of: Contact support, ask them, don't ask us. 

All we can do is tell you we are 90% sure you will be banned, or 90% sure you won't be. 

We cannot say for sure. Even if it is mostly innocent it could get flagged, and they can ban you for any reason if they want to. 

Just make a support ticket. 

vor 5 Stunden schrieb (PSN)drpunk-yo:

I'm not sure what you're getting at. Why 1 person and 100 prime access packs? What about 100 people buying 1 each?

You asked why it's against "it". I've tried to explain why it is. The actual question being asked isn't much more than "Can I buy prime access twice?" of which the answer is a pretty simple no. The answer to "Can I buy prime access twice using a second account?" (which is what the OP asks) is no different to the first question.

The answer to "Why can't I buy prime access more than once?" would be because of the discounted platinum it contains.

It doesn't need to be more complicated than that.

But OP isn't asking if he can buy Prime Access twice using a second account. He's asking if he can give someone else the means to buy Prime Access for themselves and if that person can give them any amount of platinum (for doing so) after that which is exactly what happens if we want to be accurate and the least complicated. 

If that chain of events is against the rules DE can't possibly prove the first interaction happening unless they have someone sitting behind you or me when you send me the code privately. All DE can ever reliably prove is that I bought PA with money legitimately on my own account and then I decided for whatever reason to give plat to you - which could be for any reason imaginable. If it's a rule there's no way that's enforceable when done once by 100 individual people. Hence my example being about one person being on the plat receiving end 100 times, because that would be an odd occurence.

Anyways, kind of pointless to argue about it in the end.

Edited by (PSN)Deeceem

maybe im not understanding here...why is this difficult to answer?

are players allowed to gift plat to other players or not? if the answer is yes they are...then thats it.

his friend is going to buy prime access and then gift him some plat. if gifting plat is allowed, whats the issue?

i cant imagine that gifting plat isnt allowed...you can sell a worthless riven for 5000plat if someone will buy it. de doesnt seem to care where plat goes...only where it came from.

If this is against the rules there is something very wrong with the rules.
DE gets money so what is the problem?
Money is money. If its not allowed you wont pay for that stuff, right? So allowing it makes DE more money.
Really want a response from DE to confirm this!

Also Im considering rules regarding getting somone to buy a primeaccess in return for ingame plat/items. Same thing, right? Just keeping the money flowing to DE needs to be sufficient reason why this must be allowed regardless.
Regardless.

Posted (edited)

No.

There's no need to contact support. It's against the rules. Period.

This is not the first time someone ask this question, and the answer will always be the same: it's against the rules.

Rules does not always make sense. Rules are made to be applied for general masses, that you might not be a part of.

For instance everyone are banned from drinking and driving. There are people who have irregularly high tolerance for alcohol and drinking does not impair their driving skills whatsoever. But there's no excuse, they're still not allowed to drink and drive.

You might not use this to get profit. But there are people who will. Therefore the rules exist and you unfortunately have to abide.

Edited by Soy77