Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

My idea's on an Oberon Rework for when/if the time comes

Starwake

Oberon rework the caster tank/support

Most Of these ideas are what my dream build of Oberon would be as he is my first frame I mained. Mainly want to create a discussion around his kit while providing a few ideas myself.

new passive would be phenix renewal for all pets - revive your teams pets instantly 60s or a 2 min icd per pet the pet explodes dealing blast damage in a 5m radius[un moddable] 

or 

something more basic like pet kills restore some power 5 power per kill

-----------------------------------------------

1 ---SMITE/moonbeam - would work like embers 1 but explode on impact and have orbs explode at the location. knock's down enemies in the impact area.

or

charge attack is a channel instead that is a beam of moonlight that caused rad procs and heals allies in path. would look like void beam from operator.  mini version of wisps 4.

2--- would be a all new ability. maybe something for energy recovery or maybe power over time. 

or a damage reduction for the team and its channeled but kills from teammates in 10m give Oberon 5 power EDIT: or healing allies gives Oberon power back

or if pet passive for power per kill it could be a skill that helps teams pets be more useful

either way it would be a support ability while his 1 and 4 are for damage or offence.

3 healing grove - would be rejuvenate and hollowed ground.  would be changed into a aura that is tied to Oberon with a smaller area but area instead of cone. reactivating it would place a reworked look that would be a lotus tree out of energy. 
basically reservoir on Wisp or Nidus 4

could also start small and grow overtime with a tree in the middle and grass and flowers growing outward

4 - would be the same animation but more like Hildryn's 4 or Nezha's 4 in that it is a channeled ability on first clicking it raising enemies in the air. then after reactivating slams enemies in the ground. or drains energy per enemy like ash and ember depending on design of other abilities and balance. EDIT: but Oberon would stay stationary with his arm in the air the clicking again would slam enemies down.

maybe it would also smite each enemy instead of blind. it could be a lesser smite that does 25-50% of normal smite and less orbs 

--------------------------------------------------

overall Oberon has one of the worst group heal in the game only useful for phenix renewal. and a slight/decent armor buff if cast in hollowed ground witch costs extra power. a decent HoT but is hard to heal Nidus or Inaros causing a extra 3pwr per ally healed at base. 

Wisp gets to give her heal and hp buff basically for free after the initial cast and she provides speed, and cc on top of that. 

Harrow can do crazy healing with life steal, buff the teams crit and restore a crazy amount of power per kill 

Trinity can out heal with her  reworked 1 and give basically unlimited power to the team and  with her 4 damage reduction and instant heal with her 4.

I just would like to see Oberon actually be more like a druid/paladin dishing out some damage while healing buffing the team. 

Oberon's current idea is fine, a protector with the non-augmented dps increase being an armor strip. He just needs an improvement to both aspects.

His passive should apply to beasts and sentinels for gameplay purposes with at a max of a 60 second cooldown on the revive portion. Ideally, it would be more like 30 seconds in my opinion, given in a game like Warframe even 30 seconds of no access to the main utility they provide is a fairly long time.

For Renewal, the augment should just be tied to the ability, and the augment just be changed to provide a dps buff to himself/allies while the free escape death portion isn't on cooldown, or just add it to the current augment I guess. The armor buff shouldn't be tied to pre-casting Hallowed Ground either, and should honestly include a damage reduction buff. The sustain portion could remain a low passive hp/s if he does a better job is protecting health pools too begin with through damage reduction, and for additional sustain any enemy killed during Reckoning's proposed changed cc could restore a flat amount of hp while under the effect of Renewal and further increased while standing on Hallowed Ground.

Hallowed Ground should remain as is, could probably just use better base range, duration, and possibly a slight energy cost reduction for the purpose of repositioning it more freely.

Reckoning is honestly a pretty bad ability currently in my opinion. To fully armor strip you need over 300% strength, or multiple casts while already requiring a different ability be casted beforehand. Other abilities remove armor without the other ability requirement, and still needs less strength, costs less energy, and some even remove shields on top of coming with cc in some cases. I would increase the base armor removal to require a moderate mount of strength to hit 100% and it not be tied to Hallowed Ground. I would also just change the cc portion of the ability from a lift to a knockdown into freeze/stasis effect for a similar duration of the lift+knockdown with enemies killed during the cc being able to drop orbs and still having the blind effect if anyone survives. This would of course come with a shortened cast time. If energy needs to be improved, the orb drop could just include energy orbs rather than just health globes as a reward for killing enemies before the cc ends and the blind kicks in.

Wouldn't really know what to die with Smite, given a lot of abilities in the slot aren't really used other than in the instances where it's what the Warframe is about or there's an augment.

He's also a Warframe that could do with a lower shield value and be given higher health/armor instead.

31 minutes ago, (XBOX)GearsMatrix301 said:

The only thing Oberon really needs is his 4 buffed.

While I don't think Oberon needs as major of a rework as the OP proposes, this ain't it.

1. Renewal is outclassed by Wisp in every way.
  2. The "synergy" between his Hollowed Ground and Renewal is forced and awkward.
  3. Despite Renewal leaving a field that allies can pass through after the fact to pick up the buff, there is no vfx or way to reapply it.
  4. The "synergy" with between Hallowed Ground and Reckoning needs to be done away with.
  5. Hollowed Ground just being status immunity was never good enough, even when Oberon came out and the power level of Warframes was much lower.
  6. Having Hollowed Ground do damage is redundant given his 4 is explicitly a damage ability.
  7. The "scaling damage" of Smite is only useful when it is a borderline exploit, and again having multiple damage abilities is redundant.

He can be fixed without gutting what he has, but he needs a lot more than his 4 buffed.

53 minutes ago, DrBorris said:

While I don't think Oberon needs as major of a rework as the OP proposes, this ain't it.

3. Despite Renewal leaving a field that allies can pass through after the fact to pick up the buff, there is no vfx or way to reapply it.
  4. The "synergy" with between Hallowed Ground and Reckoning needs to be done away with.
  5. Hollowed Ground just being status immunity was never good enough, even when Oberon came out and the power level of Warframes was much lower.
  6. Having Hollowed Ground do damage is redundant given his 4 is explicitly a damage ability.
  7. The "scaling damage" of Smite is only useful when it is a borderline exploit, and again having multiple damage abilities is redundant.

He can be fixed without gutting what he has, but he needs a lot more than his 4 buffed.

1. Wisp outclasses every healing option, but renewal is still usable. It’s not so drastically terrible that it’s just not worth using. That’s what pre-Rework renewal was like. I mean Oberons still a go to frame for defection because he makes it not the most painful mission in the game to go through.

2. Yeah it’s kind of forced.

3. A QoL change doesn’t improve the performance of a frame.

4. No it needs to be able to strip 100% armor in 1 cast, not 2.

5. I’ve seen Oberons in Hydron use Hallowed ground to clear defense waves. Also the status immunity is great for solo Eidolon hunts.

6. See number 5.

7. Yeah, either the scaling needs to be buffed or the AI of the projectiles needs to not just circle the enemy it’s trying to hit.

This was mainly my dream reword. I doubt any of my ideas will see the light of day but one can dream :) 

I just felt that alot of frames can do what Oberon can do better and then some. He is my first frame i played with when i started out back in the day, and just would like to play him more but find it hard at times to justify playing him when he gets out performed by most of other frames well newer frames that is. I loved the ember reword and would like to see good old goat boy get similar love.

I like his 4 its always been one of my favorite skills to use. but at times it feels like tossing a kid into a pit of pillows and they laugh again again.... just to toss them again and be all out of energy ( works great in low levels just does not work on steel path.) 

His 2 is nice for edilons for immunity to knock back and status effects, and can keep a room distracted with rad procs.

his 3 is a decent heal not saying its bad just hate the energy drain per ally and all of nekros pets and can drain all your energy in no time.

and his 1 always sounded impact full but those orbs just swirl around and either hit nothing or do little damage(in 60+ content)

right now i have his 1 replaced with trinity's 1 from the helminth system and that is some very nice HoT(heals over time) and can keep me up in steel path even.

Overall the biggest thing he needs is his 3 and 4 not relying on being cast on hollowed grounds for the armor buff and strip.

pardon spelling and grammar

Unfortunately, 75% of Oberon's current skills are stationary, Oberon is a camping frame and Smite is the only mobile skill, there are many better camping frames.

I like your passive, you have suggested correction for deadly companions and deadly companions are not popular, this will make deadly companions a little more useful.

Most players suggest improvements without synergizing items. Most players forget about unpopular equipment. I believe in the potential of unpopular items for new META builds, this is more healthy

On 2021-03-17 at 10:34 PM, Starwake said:

new passive would be phenix renewal for all pets - revive your teams pets instantly 60s or a 2 min icd per pet the pet explodes dealing blast damage in a 5m radius[un moddable] or something more basic like pet kills restore some power 5 power per kill

I strongly disagree with this idea.

Have Beastmaster work like the Shepherd Aura and call it a day. Shepherd provides flat bonuses which are much better. 

Beastmaster also needs to affect all companions. 

1 ---SMITE/moonbeam - would work like embers 1 but explode on impact and have orbs explode at the location. knock's down enemies in the impact area. or charge attack is a channel instead that is a beam of moonlight that caused rad procs and heals allies in path. would look like void beam from operator.  mini version of wisps 4.

Keep in mind that Smites augment already requires a hold-to-cast and is one of the better reasons to use the ability.

Additionally, you run into two major issues with adding another feature to smite:

1. It would be clunkier than simply recasting Smite, it wouldn't be able to spread radiation procs as well as Hallowed Ground.
  2. Adding a healing effect to Smite is as redundant as Well of Life on Trinity; you're only ever going to use the better healing ability.

2--- would be a all new ability. maybe something for energy recovery or maybe power over time. or a damage reduction for the team and its channeled but kills from teammates in 10m give Oberon 5 power or healing allies gives Oberon power back or if pet passive for power per kill it could be a skill that helps teams pets be more useful either way it would be a support ability while his 1 and 4 are for damage or offence.

Hallowed Ground is both thematically and functionally a good ability for Oberon. While it could certainly use a numbers tweak, I wouldn't want to see this ability changed. The main purpose (debatable) of Hallowed Ground is to provide status immunity for the team and minor crowd-control in the form of radiation procs.

As for restoring energy from a channeled ability, it's been a universal rule that warframes cannot gain energy from abilities while channeling; this goes directly against the mechanics that are currently in the game and should not be implemented.

3 healing grove - would be rejuvenate and hollowed ground.  would be changed into a aura that is tied to Oberon with a smaller area but area instead of cone. reactivating it would place a reworked look that would be a lotus tree out of energy. 
basically reservoir on Wisp or Nidus 4 could also start small and grow overtime with a tree in the middle and grass and flowers growing outward

I have been a huge advocate for changes to Renewal as it is currently mechanically flawed. 

I strongly agree with the idea that Renewal needs to become an aura centered on Oberon (more details in forum post). 

Renewal is currently not a cone, it is a circle radiating from the point of cast. It should remain a circle.

Renewal should not have an option to become stationary, that is the biggest problem with it currently. Warframe is a game of mobility, Oberon is lagging behind because his two major features are stationary. 

Additionally, the only visual changes that Renewal requires are that it becomes visible at all... currently you cannot see it after it has been placed - which is a major failure.

4 - would be the same animation but more like Hildryn's 4 or Nezha's 4 in that it is a channeled ability on first clicking it raising enemies in the air. then after reactivating slams enemies in the ground. or drains energy per enemy like ash and ember depending on design of other abilities and balance.

Oberon would stay stationary with his arm in the air the clicking again would slam enemies down. maybe it would also smite each enemy instead of blind. it could be a lesser smite that does 25-50% of normal smite and less orbs 

Reckoning is easily Oberon's worst ability and requires the most work.

Having it as a channeled ability is an interesting idea, it could be a damaging aura like Equinox's Maim that strips armor. Remove the "lift-and-slam" animation, it's pathetic and doesn't adequately represent how weak the ability is.

Currently, Reckoning has a chance to spawn Health Orbs, it would also be nice if they added the ability to also spawn Energy Orbs on the kill of an enemy affected by the Reckoning aura. 

Like I have said previously... we should aim to avoid stationary abilities wherever possible; there is no place for them in the game.

17 hours ago, DrBorris said:

Agreed. Oberon has aged horribly, especially with the addition of Wisp.

1. Yes. Horribly so.
  2. It can be, for sure. However, if they added the status immunity transfer between Hallowed Ground and Renewal (with additional drain), I think that would be a decent enough buff.
  3. Literally one of the biggest issues with Renewal (highlighted in my forum post above).
  4. Reckoning just needs a full revisit.
  5. Hallowed Ground could certainly use some numbers tweaks.
  6. ^
  7. Agreed, most of the time the augment is the only reason to use Smite. 

I'm an oberon main and probably in the minority with how i choose to play him. I designed my build specifically cast and maintain my heal/armor on my entire team for the entire duration of the mission while also trying my best to be as unkillable as possible. I know a lot of people are going to look at him and not think he's great and that's fine. Personally i'd maintain most of the current kit only making minor changes but again I know my playstyle isn't fun for most people or what most people want.

Passive: I'd love it if i could assist my entire team's pets and other companions such as sentinels and moas. I will continue to use my cat forever because i can but if i can help the sentinels and moas then great.

1: as others have mentioned the ability is not great. I decided to replace it recently just for a helminth ability so my heal is stronger. The augment for this ability can be very useful and it's my understanding other frames are taking smite specifically for that augment which is cool. Radiation damage is strong against eidolons. This ability can come in handy but it's usually a borderline abuse case for the damage to actually be decent. If you happen to know X enemy is a huge sponge you can hit that target so the %hp blobs go kill ads but that's about it.

2: If this ability gets removed or changed then where do i get the armor for my 3, that's my first question, if it just gets added on to the 3 by default then fine. But let's not look at the armor and assess the ability itself. To me it's not a damage ability. The damage is a complete afterthought but you can force it to be one if you try hard enough. The status immunity is actually incredibly useful and it rad procs any enemies that touch it making it useful in that regard as well. Against eidolons you can negate the magnetic procs from their screams and from the third one's rain. It's great in rad sorties to keep idiots from teamkilling the objectives. A lot of liches i find are a real pain in the ass and have rad or magnetic procs and it's great at stopping that from happening. Personally I'd gladly exchange all the damage on it for a larger longer lasting area potentially with knockdown resistance. That would make it amazing to me.

3: The only heal i can reasonable compare this to is wisp because trinity is a burst heal you use reactively while harrow is lifesteal. Sure they are more potent but they are not constant and I would never expect a constant heal to be stronger than them. Wisp does heal better but that is not all it does and that is not all Oberon does. Wisp is increases people's max health while Oberon is giving you a flat armor buff. Both will functionally make a frame tankier but do so in different ways and therefore can be better or worse than each other. A frame that has low armor will get far more value from the flat armor boost than say a chroma or valkyr while while the later will appreciate the flat health more. On top of that wisp and oberon's heals compliment each other very well specifically because the more health you have the more worthwhile each point of armor is and vice versa. Ideally I'm never competing with Wisp but rather on her team doing the same thing making both of us better at it. To speak to the mechanics of the heal. While you can consider it stationary because the area that oberon cast it in is where it stays, it also stays on frames until it is turned off or until they die/get nullified/fall off the map. It is just as mobile as any other buff and the heal is the only part you need to worry about when it come's to getting everyone tagged. the armor can just happen whenever because you can cast as much hallowed ground as you want. Sure it would be nice to make the "tagging area" move with oberon but it's not crucial. A way to re-tag people though would be very much appreciated. It's rather disheartening to have 2x power heals from a void fissure and then my allies get nullified and i can't re-apply the same heal and either they have to go without a heal all together or the rest of us who still have it have to take a lower strength one. Oh and please please please please give me a VFX for the armor and/or a buff bar for defense objectives. It's hard enough to see the heal VFX but there is nothing for the armor and I have no way of knowing sometimes if a defense objective or drone or operator has the buffs or not. 

4: The damage is a little low, you can make it work for a while but it's not great. As for the armor strip? oh no it takes me an extra cast to completely strip the armor off any enemy, including some bosses mind you, in the game. What will i ever do about that extra half second i spent casting or that extra energy i spent that i can completely afford to spend in the first place... If that's your only problem with the ability i suggest you get over yourself. The ability is a %armor strip so it will work on any enemy regardless of level and always do it's job in 2-3 casts depending on your power strength (usually 2) Some abilities may do this better or faster but to me it's not the primary purpose of the frame or the ability so being able to do this at all and so efficiently and effectively is a bonus. I think personally I'd love an extended knockdown on the ability, I use it primarily as a CC tool  to just stop everything around me from happening. Too many enemies hitting me or allies? press 4, everything stops. Something on an interception terminal? press 4, everything stops. So keeping the enemies on the ground for a while after the ability is done means i don't have to spam it when things get hairy. If it gets a bit more base range then it makes it easier to use for this as well.

I know I'm biased to a specific way of playing this frame and enjoying myself while doing it though and I wouldn't want other views of the character to not be taken into consideration. This is just how I view the frame.

On 2021-03-18 at 8:37 PM, (XBOX)GearsMatrix301 said:

The only thing Oberon really needs is his 4 buffed.

exactly this.

he is one of the few almost perfect frames, he is able to turn into a literal unkillable god.

smite is always extremely useful and often underrated.

hallowed ground is a really cool ability and I love how it works with range now. its unique and also powerful throughout all game stages.

Renewal is probably one of THE strongest skill all on its own.. it provides you with a really good heal, with even furtherhealing over time, alowing for SO many shaningans to become immortal, has interesting syngergy with his 2 to provide even more defense. awesome skill.

the only lack luster thing is reckoning.. which provides WAY to little armor strip.. as low range, low damage.. and a "feature" that is entirely unachieveable in anything above level 25.. since it will never kil lanything and therefore will never provide healing orbs.. which he doesn't even need to begin with really. so this skill just needs number increases in any meaningful way at it will be enough.

for now, just switch it out and be done with it. ^^

Archived