Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

From The Diary Of A Corpus-Sympathizing Tenno

OnyxAlchemyst

Storm. Kill. Extract. Repeat. Storm. Kill. Extract. Repeat. Storm. Kill. Extract. Repeat. Storm. Kill. Extract. Repeat. Storm. Kill. Extract. Repeat. Storm. Kill. Extract. Repeat. Storm. Kill. Extract. Repeat. Storm. Kill. Extract. Repeat.

How many battles have I fought in these last five days? How many Marines have I killed in these last five days? How many bullets, slashes, burns, an concussions have I endured in these last five days? I can no longer give an estimation. My mind is clouded with weariness, and my bones ache from the unending misery of war. Even as I write this, my pod takes me to yet another set of docked ships; to another slaughtering ground where fear, pain, and fury spill forth from all who stand against me onto the cold and unforgiving decks. I am a Tenno. I am strong. I kill anything that I decide must die. I am a veteran with thousands of missions behind me since I awoke in this age. And yet, I feel no pride. I feel no triumph in my victories. Instead, a gaping hole of despair gnaws away at my chest, and grows with every Grineer ship I leave empty. I fight alone, without the assistance of any of my kin, or my clan. I am capable on my own, and my squad has decided to split our forces among as many ships as we can bear. Even separated my clan is strong, but despite our efforts will almost certainly be for nothing.

We have failed to retake Olympus. With every Grineer ship I empty, two more ships full of Corpus perish, and the line of battle retreats further and further into our territory. Our final bastions that remain on this planet will fall before long as well. But that is not the reason for the gloom that clouds my mind. My sorrow comes from knowing that it is my own brothers and sisters that push us back. War is our nature. We exist to fight, to kill, to win. But until now, I have fought alongside an undivided congregation of warriors, united in cause and resolve. But today, we are undivided no longer. Today, the maw of a terrible rift gapes between us. Alad V, the very man whom I have sworn to aid, has dealt the blow to drive a wedge between my brothers and sisters. He was the one who discovered many Tenno still unwoken from the great sleep. He was the one who planned to use them in his indoctrination plan. He was the one who refused General Ruk's demands when his plan was uncovered. He is the root of everything that has led up to this entire war. And if he wins, he will be the one to do unspeakable things to my sleeping brothers and sisters. And yet...

And yet I find myself rallying behind his cause. I find myself posing as a beacon of hope to his troops. I find myself being cheered and applauded by the crewmen when I burst through the airlock and lay waste to the attacking Grineer. Even after all Alad V has done, and knowing what he plans to do. I have taken up my arms to fight for him. Why do I fight? It has nothing to do with the fruit Alad V and Sargas Ruk have dangled in front of us. I already have a comfortable collection of credits, weapons, and materials; enough that I am a major supplier to the rest of my clan. The reason I fight for Alad V and the Corpus, is more simple. I fight simply because I oppose the Grineer.

But so many of my brothers and sisters do not agree with my sentiments. They have sided with General Sargas Ruk, and intend to pry our kin out of Alad V's cold, dead fingers. I do not blame them for wanting to save them, and it brings me indescribable pain to have to abandon our own to the mad scientists of such a power-hungry man. But it is an even larger burden for me to aid the Grineer in sinking their roots deeper into our solar system. The Grineer are like weeds; ugly things that spread uncontrollably and smother everything that gets in their way. And like cockroaches, they can never truly be rooted out once they've planted themselves. But it's worse than that.

I have seen how the Grineer are. Seen how they treat anyone unfortunate enough to survive their invasions. Seen how they all look at me, not with hope that I may release them, nor with the fear that I may harm them. They look at me, and without words, they beg to me. Beg me to kill them. Beg me to end their suffering. This is the fate that I fight to prevent. Preventing this fate was the very reason I awoke so many months ago. Preventing this fate is the primary, overarching, and final directive of my continued existence. But is Corpus indoctrination any better? I don't think it's my place to say. But nonetheless, despite their minds not being their own, they seem... Content. Ignorance is bliss, as an old earth saying goes?

But my own perception does nothing to convince those brothers and sisters of mine who have already chosen. And so I write, in-between skirmishes of a waning and hopeless war. All of my kin have been consumed by this struggle. Not in body, but in spirit. Consumed with the desire for victory. Consumed with anger with their kin that stand against them. Our creed forbids us to fight one another on a true battlefield. It is one of the few thing all of us know from before the great sleep. But the tensions between our schism continues to rise. The Lotus is actively preventing us from directly opposing one another by directing us only to ships that do not have opposing Tenno aboard. But this anxiety chewing into my heart tells me that no system is perfect, no system is foolproof. I fear I may meet a Tenno on the wrong side of the conflict.

My period of respite is over.  I approach another ship.

Storm. Kill. Extract. Repeat. Storm. Kill. Extract. Repeat. Storm. Kill. Extract. Repeat. Storm. Kill. Extract. Repeat. Storm. Kill. Extract. Repeat. Storm. Kill. Extract. Repeat. Storm. Kill. Extract. Repeat. Storm. Kill. Extract. Repeat.

*knock-knock*

But OnyxAlchemist already sensed somebody's presense behind the door of his meditation room. He have no need in arming himself because as living weapon he is always armed to the teeth.

He opens a door a sees some blood red visor staring at him from the shadows.

- Greetings sir, my name is Stalker. Your friends from Grineer team sent me here. You know  i was expecting you to have fun because friends of yours are currently having a party. I even saw half naked Heavy Gunner dancing on the table. And most of the tenno were drinking alcohol from something that really looks like techs helmets.

Oh sorry i get distracted. Anyway to business. Your friends told me that you recently had a visit on Mars for assassination contract. So not to waste time. I am here to render judgement on you.

*sound on slash dash, half second later another sound of falling body of the tenno*

Stalker:

- Alright deed is done. Gonna check back Grineer team i am pretty sure i saw a stage and pole made of flux rifles barrels there. Those scorpions are so agile girls...

Edited by Althix

(As a Tenno, you probably should't be sympathizing with the Corpus to begin with. Fighting with them to stave of Grineer dominance is one thing. Sympathizing with them when they're going to mutilate your brothers is another.)

But that's the thing. The tenno that wrote this diary has decided that staving off Grineer dominance would be worth sacrificing their brothers and sisters to be potentially mutilated and indoctrinated. I guess I should have stressed this tenno's extremely anti-grineer stance.

Ah damn, I forgot that I was also going to do some bit with a "which of these evils is truly the lesser one?", as well as pondering some of the other potential costs of strengthening the grineer. Something like "how many more tenno will we lose fighting an empire we strengthened ourselves?" or something like that. I also remembered I wanted to put in a bit where the tenno might say that if it were in the position where its kin would have to cooperate with the grineer in order to save it, the tenno would rather die than coerce his kin to help the grineer.

I see the dilemma as a "no one left behind" versus "do the job at any cost" kind of choice. There are some societies that would sacrifice themselves like this without a second thought.

- snip -

You have the right idea, but you really have to push that both choices suck. (Otherwise the Tenno just seems deluded. "I'm right because my allies are wrong.") There are no Grineer sympathizers or Corpus sympathizers. There are Tenno who want to prevent the Corpus from creating WMDs out of their brothers and Tenno who think the Grineer are a bigger threat despite blowing up a dozen Fomorians a couple of weeks ago.

You have the right idea, but you really have to push that both choices suck. (Otherwise the Tenno just seems deluded. "I'm right because my allies are wrong.") There are no Grineer sympathizers or Corpus sympathizers. There are Tenno who want to prevent the Corpus from creating WMDs out of their brothers and Tenno who think the Grineer are a bigger threat despite blowing up a dozen Fomorians a couple of weeks ago.

That's true. This fic is something that I banged out in the spur of the moment over the course of a short evening, so I didn't really plan it out in great detail. now I just need to decide whether I want to make any changes and additions tonight or leave it as it is. It could be interpreted as just some deluded tenno that's become blinded over time.