Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

"Corpus Ramsleds" feels out of character

TARINunit9

I just kind of realized that Corpus using Ramsleds kind of goes against the traditional (at least up to now) dichotomy of Grineer vs Corpus aesthetics.

Corpus are big on energy-based logistics, anything that can be reused and recharged. Grineer on the other hand don't really care, and are happy to use expendable hardware simply because it's easier. It's an economy that thinks "lasers are free, bullets cost money" (heavily exaggerated compared to real life, but definitely something the Corpus would think) compared to an economy that would rather just spend the bullets and kill the enemy now rather than spend effort on min-maxing. Energy shields vs armor. Plasma guns vs bullet guns. Even things as simple as radio transmitters vs signal flares. And before now, drop-pods and boarding shuttles vs teleporters.

As far back as 2014, invasion missions would show this off. A Corpus ship being invaded by Grineer would be studded with Ramsleds. Meanwhile a Grineer galleon being invaded by Corpus would have dead-end rooms that would spawn Corpus in flashes of blue light (these rooms have since been repurposed as Reactor Sabotage tiles) and the player could even ride in the teleporter. While most of these invasion tiles have been retired, they're still implied to be canon when you play Plains and Vallis missions: you see Grineer in drop pods, and Corpus teleporting in

But the new Railjack missions now have Corpus using Ramsleds too. And since that is just copying the Grineer that sounds out of character to me. Shouldn't Corpus actually be shooting Teleport homing beacons at you? The beacon lands on your ship and Corpus will constantly teleport in until you find it and destroy it

That is not even call, but corpus does use ramsleds ON THEMSELVES
I had good laugh when i noticed that.

Also you need to destroy whole ramsled as object in such instance, not just the crew.
Most common occurance of this is in defense mission in corpus tesseract or however do they call it.

i like the idea of a transporter beacon being fired into your ship like a big ole' bullet. and i agree that fits corpus better. though i dont have a problem with the ramsleds. i mean...i do have a problem with them as an overall concept...but i dont have a problem with the corpus using them.

just to make it different id have the transporter beacon fired into the ship...and then some sort of timer to destroy it. so instead of the mechanic where you can try to shoot them before they reach you...you have to destroy it before they can use it. if you dont get it in time...a LOT of corpus get in. of course...they should be kinda hard to destroy...what with being able to be fired like a bullet into a spaceship and all.

that would be both more interesting and better thematically.

1 hour ago, TARINunit9 said:

I just kind of realized that Corpus using Ramsleds kind of goes against the traditional (at least up to now) dichotomy of Grineer vs Corpus aesthetics.

Corpus are big on energy-based logistics, anything that can be reused and recharged. Grineer on the other hand don't really care, and are happy to use expendable hardware simply because it's easier. It's an economy that thinks "lasers are free, bullets cost money" (heavily exaggerated compared to real life, but definitely something the Corpus would think) compared to an economy that would rather just spend the bullets and kill the enemy now rather than spend effort on min-maxing. Energy shields vs armor. Plasma guns vs bullet guns. Even things as simple as radio transmitters vs signal flares. And before now, drop-pods and boarding shuttles vs teleporters.

As far back as 2014, invasion missions would show this off. A Corpus ship being invaded by Grineer would be studded with Ramsleds. Meanwhile a Grineer galleon being invaded by Corpus would have dead-end rooms that would spawn Corpus in flashes of blue light (these rooms have since been repurposed as Reactor Sabotage tiles) and the player could even ride in the teleporter. While most of these invasion tiles have been retired, they're still implied to be canon when you play Plains and Vallis missions: you see Grineer in drop pods, and Corpus teleporting in

But the new Railjack missions now have Corpus using Ramsleds too. And since that is just copying the Grineer that sounds out of character to me. Shouldn't Corpus actually be shooting Teleport homing beacons at you? The beacon lands on your ship and Corpus will constantly teleport in until you find it and destroy it

Look at interior volume of the Cube-rams; I  think they are using the rams as 1-time teleport booths.
that or... lore-wise; they're too busy using energy for strip-mining the locals and don't have enough to beam-in their crew-people onto your 'Jack.  Just spit ballin' here.

1 hour ago, OperatorLeo said:

or they could have a pod full of MOAs, like something from that Phantom Menace Star Wars movie, where the pod has the MOAs all in curled up and read to deploy when they crash into the ship

Funny enough the devs DID model that. The Pluto "Freightliner" bonus objective has crates full of Crewman uniforms. When you approach one near the start the door flops open, and it looks like you're about it be accosted by eight crewmen. Until of course you realize it's just the suits

1 minute ago, Soy77 said:

Railjack is out of character.

Why would you need a battleship just to do plain old defense mission?

We do defense mission all the time with our trusty lander.

Maybe the defenses in the area are too strong for your Landing Craft to safely deliver you. They don't exactly have armaments.

3 minutes ago, DrakeWurrum said:

Maybe the defenses in the area are too strong for your Landing Craft to safely deliver you. They don't exactly have armaments.

Oh my bad then...

How cy explained it to me, I thought they were made for war. Not for dropping tenno to go to war.

Apparently i was mistaken... No wonder the old crew all died, they were fighting spaceship battle in a taxi.

I'm assuming that due to some Orokin age tech, teleportation onto the Railjack is nigh on impossible without proper clearance from Cy. Considering they jam our recalls, I'm certain we have something similar preventing them from doing so as well consider you know, we have Orokin tech restored to full glory. A simple teleport beacon probably cannot do the job against a Railjack I believe.

Also, if I were the Corpus, I'd know that a good hit by a ramsled would be a GOLDEN opportunity. Corpus likely have the tech to anchor themselves in place via magnets. It'd make sending that ramsled back out and leaving behind a big hole. That being said, it would seem that a Railjack is very much designed around fighting all kinds of ships so a good crew obviously makes a massive difference.

That being said as well, all of this might as well be like a toddler flinging their arms about trying to beat the darkness away. Even if you do manage to severely damage a Railjack, what's the point? A single Warframe will kill your ship. If not by blowing it up via the Railjack, they'll just dive right in, kill all of your Capital ship's crew, kill you, and then overload your reactor and blow it up that way. At which point the Tenno will pick up their damaged Railjack and bail and repair it rapidly to be back on the field, all while you can't stop them because you have NO idea where they went.

39 minutes ago, Soy77 said:

Oh my bad then...

How cy explained it to me, I thought they were made for war. Not for dropping tenno to go to war.

Apparently i was mistaken... No wonder the old crew all died, they were fighting spaceship battle in a taxi.

Railjacks are meant for war. They're a dominate force as just a single one can dispatch hundreds of fighters, numerous crewhips, and even Capital ships with little difficulty, all while being crewed at most by one Tenno and 3 decent crew.

Landing craft are stealth ships designed to quietly deliver a single Tenno to the battlefield. They are unarmed vessels meant solely to deliver a single combatant. Clearly this was meant for Tenno use as no singular combatant could warrant an entire craft dedicated to them without substantial effect on in the field. It would seem the Landing Craft may lack visual cloaking like the Railjack has with its Void Cloak, but is invisible to scanners and radars making it a dedicated stealth vessel. I would assume that the idea in the Railjack missions is that the Railjack is there to cover the offensive side of things, but right now the Railjack side of the missions lack any substance.

2 hours ago, CaptainMinty said:

I would assume that the idea in the Railjack missions is that the Railjack is there to cover the offensive side of things, but right now the Railjack side of the missions lack any substance.

The original canon is that Railjacks are Dax ships, not Tenno ships. But Cy -- whose priority is to kill the Sentients -- knows that the Dax are dead and the Tenno are not

It's worth noting that Corpus actually used ramsleds back in the original Fortuna demo. So if you want to get technical the Grineer are the ones doing the copying.

5 hours ago, TARINunit9 said:

Funny enough the devs DID model that. The Pluto "Freightliner" bonus objective has crates full of Crewman uniforms. When you approach one near the start the door flops open, and it looks like you're about it be accosted by eight crewmen. Until of course you realize it's just the suits

And then one of the suits gets out and starts shooting you.

Would be a neat ambush if Enemy Radar didn't spoil the surprise.

5 hours ago, DrakeWurrum said:

We are going to Ambulas assassination with our Landcraft, despite the huge-ass Corpus ship right above the place we're going to. Sounds like suicide then.

teleporting straight onto a Railjack is kind of a bad idea though: sure, you could argue they have the element of surprise, but they could also be literally Spawn-trapped; killed the moment they materialize. at least with Ramsleds not only are your soldiers protected, but they can also cause damage to the enemy ship upon entry.

9 hours ago, Soy77 said:

Railjack is out of character.

Why would you need a battleship just to do plain old defense mission?

We do defense mission all the time with our trusty lander.

because the proxima locations are in deep space....not close enough for just your orbiter/lander to get to. your orbiter and lander are not actual deep space faring vessels on their own.

also the orbiter/lander arent equipped with proper weapons or defense capabilities to handle active hot zones like the the proxima locations. you would get shot out of the sky almost immediately.

8 hours ago, TARINunit9 said:

The original canon is that Railjacks are Dax ships, not Tenno ships. But Cy -- whose priority is to kill the Sentients -- knows that the Dax are dead and the Tenno are not

Frankly that's just as terrifying if you ask me. Dax were incredible soldiers. But I never did mention who the Railjack itself was for. I did say the Landing Craft was definitely for Tenno, as a single Dax while good, isn't worth dropping quietly into a ship. They'll cause havoc, but nowhere near the destruction of a single Tenno.

And just like with all things, if it was meant for someone else, doesn't matter the Tenno use it better than who it was made for.

Archived