Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Pets having health adds nothing to gameplay.

Gahrzerkire

Just now, Lutesque said:

As long as you don't have Preferences.... Right ?

I mean, that's how preferences work though.  Inaros is going to have some benefits that Nova doesn't, and vice-versa.  Generally you don't just get everything.  So yes, I'm talking about preferences: you have to decide whether you prefer an invincible pet or one that you'll need to revive sometimes.  And if you opt out of the survivability options because you like other aspects of pets better, you've expressed your preference and made your choice.  This is all about preferences.

6 minutes ago, (PSN)Unstar said:

I mean, that's how preferences work though.  Inaros is going to have some benefits that Nova doesn't, and vice-versa.

True but But One doesn't Render the other Completely useless the same way pets do....

7 minutes ago, (PSN)Unstar said:

Generally you don't just get everything

I don't want everything.... I just want my things... Not some other things....

8 minutes ago, (PSN)Unstar said:

So yes, I'm talking about preferences:

Choosing between something that Works versus Something that doesn't is not about Preferences 😐.... That's not even a Real Choice....

10 minutes ago, (PSN)Unstar said:

you have to decide whether you prefer an invincible pet or one that you'll need to revive sometimes. 

Again that's not a Choice.... 

11 minutes ago, (PSN)Unstar said:

And if you opt out of the survivability options because you like other aspects of pets better, you've expressed your preference and made your choice.  This is all about preferences.

Survivability should never be a Choice.... And I'm not just talking about Warframe here....

Nothing pissed me off more than when I'm playing any game and I see increased Health/Damage among the list of Upgrade Options.... It's like someone walking up to you and asking you do you enjoy not being Punched in the Face Repeatedly....

Ofcourse I want more Health/Damage.... This isn't a choice.... You designed this game with an ever Increasing series of Challenges... Don't make me neglect the option to to upgrade something that's actually interesting to play with Just so I can live longer....

This is one of the Things I like about Sekiro Shadows Die Twice:

Your Damage Output, Survivability, and Abilities don't draw from the Same Source...

Damage is Increased by Reflecting on "Memories"....

Survivability is Increased by Collecting Prayer Beads....

And Abilities are Obtained by XP....

I like the way this works.... That being said.... One could make the Argument that having 3 Progression Systems instead of 1 is alil bit Confusing.... We already have this problem in Warframe's Economy which runs on 12 Different Currencies...

Anyway.... My Point is... Choosing to Not die is not a real Choice.... Nobody wants to die.... And I extend that same Courtesy to my Pets.

40 minutes ago, Lutesque said:

Again that's not a Choice.... 

I guess in that case we might just need to agree to disagree, because I pretty much exclusively bring my Smeeta with me to missions.  I really love the buffs and utility they provide, and if I have to revive them sometimes, I don't see that the hassle that some others seem to.  To me, it's worth it, so it's the choice I make.

44 minutes ago, Lutesque said:

Nothing pissed me off more than when I'm playing any game and I see increased Health/Damage among the list of Upgrade Options.... It's like someone walking up to you and asking you do you enjoy not being Punched in the Face Repeatedly....

This is perhaps a tangent, but I've actually got a different viewpoint on this.  I often find in games that if I upgrade damage, the fights become short to the point of being unsatisfying.  In many cases, I'm assuming that these games may have been balanced around that default damage amount, and that anything more than that unbalances the game in the player's favor.  Naturally it's also possible for the developers to balance around high damage amounts, but I haven't seen that as much, maybe just a coincidence though. (Warframe is not one of those games, lol)

Similarly, health isn't necessarily something you need depending on the way the game is designed.  The old Zelda games tend to be a great example of this.  In Ocarina of Time, there's no such thing as damage you can't avoid.  Because of this, your life bar is really just the number of mistakes you can make.  So you can complete a run of the game with the starting heart amount, you just won't have that buffer when things go wrong.  Like the above though, not all games are like this, with Warframe being the perfect example.  With most Warframes, you're going to be attacked in ways that mere gameplay skills will not allow you to entirely avoid.  So in these cases, your health bar is actually serving a different purpose, measuring how much heat you can take, and thus, your life bar becomes something more like an oxygen meter rather than something that solely counts your mistakes.

1 hour ago, (PSN)Unstar said:

guess in that case we might just need to agree to disagree, because I pretty much exclusively bring my Smeeta with me to missions.  I really love the buffs and utility they provide, and if I have to revive them sometimes, I don't see that the hassle that some others seem to.  To me, it's worth it, so it's the choice I make.

That's not a Choice you make... That's a Nuisance you Tolerate... big difference 😐...

1 hour ago, (PSN)Unstar said:

This is perhaps a tangent, but I've actually got a different viewpoint on this.  I often find in games that if I upgrade damage, the fights become short to the point of being unsatisfying.  In many cases, I'm assuming that these games may have been balanced around that default damage amount, and that anything more than that unbalances the game in the player's favor.  Naturally it's also possible for the developers to balance around high damage amounts, but I haven't seen that as much, maybe just a coincidence though. (Warframe is not one of those games, lol)

The Earlier Assassin's Creed games were like this.... You didn't have to upgrade a Single Sword.... Whichever one you start with is Balanced for all the Content except for Elite Praetorian Guards and Upgrades you add on just lets you Curb Stomp enemies even harder.... And this is the only game I've played that's like....

Most other games do things the other way Around.... The Enemies will be balanced around the Upgrades that exist... But you may or may not have gotten yet....

Khalameet and Dark Eater Midir (Dark Souls Bosses) don't give a F#$#@ if you haven't gotten your Titanite Slabs yet... They will still have a Bajillion Health when you fight them... Assuming you can find them that is.... They are Easter Egg Bosses...

2 hours ago, (PSN)Unstar said:

Similarly, health isn't necessarily something you need depending on the way the game is designed.  The old Zelda games tend to be a great example of this.  In Ocarina of Time, there's no such thing as damage you can't avoid.

You need to be careful with how you phrase this because something that can be a Voided by someone who's seen the attack plenty of times may not be something that can be Avoided by Someone who's never seen it before.... that's why the phrase "Hard but Fair" is bull $#&@... What that phrase essentially means is that you will get blind sided once or twice by some huge damaging move and only after that will you realise how easy it is to Dodge....

Games you should manage their Damage Carefully so that this sort of thing doesn't happen... Oh but wait.... How are they going to do that if they can't be sure if players bothered to Upgrade their Health at that point or not.... Maybe those players thought spending their Resources on some mysterious Key (Artorius's Seal) would be a better use of their Money... Oof !!!

2 hours ago, (PSN)Unstar said:

Like the above though, not all games are like this, with Warframe being the perfect example.  With most Warframes, you're going to be attacked in ways that mere gameplay skills will not allow you to entirely avoid.  So in these cases, your health bar is actually serving a different purpose, measuring how much heat you can take, and thus, your life bar becomes something more like an oxygen meter rather than something that solely counts your mistakes.

Not quite this applies to games with Regenerating Health... Which Warframe doesn't have.... So for this example to be Accurate your Health would have to be High Enough to take a Beating for a whole Mission.... Which is definitely not the case for as Far Mag and Volt newbies are concerned.... Further more... Not only is it possible for players to go into these Missions without their Survivability Mods  upgraded... they may not even have them at all 😱 !!!!

I play Ivara a lot, so my pets are almost never targeted by anything - but as for this thread.

I actually agree.  I honestly think having pets / sentinels with shields / health / armour ... is annoying.  I compare playing my Ivara with any of my other frames, and in general, I prefer using sentinels simply because they're unlikely to be killed unless I fall over.  I think if you've put the time and effort into building a sentinel / companion, having them be a part of the frame should be as natural / normal as choosing what weapon you want to use.  It does its job, and doesn't 'go away' or become an actual hindrance by falling over or blowing up, and suddenly you lose your vacuum.

Archived