Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Please revert/or add an option to choose old emotes back. The new ones look weird

Pharoh

A new hotfix has just dropped, and with it the in game chat emojis have gotten a "face-lift". I think that this change was really unnecessary. The in game emojis were good they way they were before, they do not need to be changed, However seeing as they have been changed, I can offer a suggestion to make this change a bit less of a cold turkey situation. Having an option in the chat options menu to be able to use the old type of emoji would be a nice option to have. I really hope that this option can be implemented because I do not like these new emojis and I'm used to the old ones that were more simple and nicer to look at. Hopefully there will be no more changes to the UI, text, emojis, it's hard to get used to and doesn't need to be changed. 

In case anyone hasn't seen the new emojis, here are what the new emojis look like:

Screenshot_180.png

I was suddenly whispered by a friend with the :shock: emoji and I almost had a heart attack because of how terrifying it looked...

I'm on board with having the old/legacy ones back as a toggleable option.

Hello.

sLH12IZ.jpg

That is all.

Seriously, though, I'm... really not digging the visual style of these updated emojis. I only showed 4 of them above, but honestly, they all look just about that bad.

It's difficult to describe why this botched pixel art is so viscerally horrifying to me, but if I had to list a few things...

Spoiler

• Certain emojis have yellow pixels jutting outwards for no discernible reason, causing them to no longer be circular. Are those supposed to be eyebrows? Why are they beside the leftmost face's eyes? Why are they on top of the second-from-right face's head?
  • The new "shading" on these faces is wildly unnecessary, and poorly executed IMO. The depth of shading on these emojis makes it seem like these faces are peering out of the shadows, like a monster crawling out of a child's closet at nighttime.
  • The facial feature proportions are horrifying. They're also inconsistent, which makes them even more horrifying. Add in the freaky botched placement of individual pixels, and baby, you've got a nightmare going.
    • Nearly every face (across all of them, not just the 4 shown) has the black oval eyeballs "fading" into the yellow, causing the eye sockets to appear much more empty and cavernous than they should.
    • Certain faces have a couple of "brightened" pixels on their face, which give the illusion that these features are catching the most light from an above light source.
      • This worsens the "empty eye holes" illusion on the second-from-left face.
      • The second-from-right face has bright pixels on the corners of his mouth, as though the corners of his lower lip are drooping or something.
    • Certain faces have oddly placed dark pixels, e.g.:
      • the leftmost and second-from-left, around their open eyes, jutting into their otherwise-circular heads.
      • the rightmost, below the eye on the left. Makes it seem like he's squeezing his eye shut, which makes his wide smile seem unnervingly forced. Seems like he could be a monster crawling out of a child's closet at nighttime.
    • Why does the rightmost face have such gigantic cheeks? The depth of shading on the cheeks also make the mouth look much larger than it is on neutral expressions. He looks like he's satisfied because he's about to unhinge his jaw and swallow a sleeping child whole.
    • Why does the leftmost face have his eyes so far apart? Why does he have an extra yellow pixel at the top of his upper lip?
    • Why does the second-from-left face have a single eye stretching so wide that it edges onto the opposite side? Why does he have one eyebrow? Why is that eyebrow so thick and faded? It seems like a monster imitating a human's face that's trying to coax a child into their dark closet at nighttime.
    • I don't want to talk about the second-from-right face.
      Not his weird horns.
      Not his gigantic gaping maw.
      Not his gaunt, mummified silhouette.
      Not his freaky outward-turned chameleon eyeballs that take on the same colours+shading as the rest of the face, in lieu of having visible sclera.
      • Seriously. He looks like he'd devour a child at any time of day, under the hopes that doing so will quench his endless physical agony.

If I had to suggest improvements:

• Lose the shading. Having shading for the sake of shading is just adding needlessly risky complexity onto what should be a bunch of simple icons.
  • Please make the eyes smaller! I beg you. Not only do small eyes tend to be cuter for simplistic designs, but having large eyes on so few pixels is very, very difficult to pull off.
  • Stylize them! It's easier said than done, but having all of the emojis conform to a unique style will keep facial proportions consistent between emojis, and it'll make the faces uniquely Warframe-y.

As an example, here's what emojis look like in Vindictus:

vxylbLE.png

And here's what emojis used to look like on Android (albeit with more pixels to work with):

XplCmV0.jpg

They're unique, they're expressive, they're consistently proportioned, and they're ADORABLE AF.

IMO, this is the golden standard that Warframe's emojis should strive towards.

Ugh. My friend and I spent a very long time in game trying to come to terms with these emojis. They are mildly less horrifying in white (instead of yellow, etc.) but even then they are still too huge and shaded strangely and just... no.

In the end we both decided to turn them off, at least as far as the conversion of what we type goes. (So :D stays :D and does not turn into a slightly unhinged picture.) Still going to see other people's emojis and, for example, be terrified by the one that is supposed to look scared instead of scary. Or the :P that looks like a lot of things, but not like someone sticking out their tongue. But that's bearable.

Should these be merely bearable though? Why put in effort to improve them but then not make them actually better than they were before?

I love the OP's detailed review and suggestions. I am way too tired and generally incoherent to do something similar. Plus it's already here.

Just... If there's no time or manpower to do it better, maybe the old ones would be preferable, huh? If you cannot create something that works with your brand, then simplicity is key. Like the default emojis in this very forum. They're not bad. (I mean the yellow ones that appear to be the Windows Unicode version for me. Not the white ones that... are clearly added by you guys.)

Of course, if your goal is goofy and/or mildly nauseating rather than something that can be used to express emotion, that's probably been fulfilled. (Not being facetious. Clearly people have different ideas of what works.)

I hate that I sound like I am being mean. Someone probably did their best here. It's just... not a good change. Sorry.

12 hours ago, Aeoni said:

Ugh. My friend and I spent a very long time in game trying to come to terms with these emojis. They are mildly less horrifying in white (instead of yellow, etc.) but even then they are still too huge and shaded strangely and just... no.

In the end we both decided to turn them off, at least as far as the conversion of what we type goes. (So :D stays :D and does not turn into a slightly unhinged picture.) Still going to see other people's emojis and, for example, be terrified by the one that is supposed to look scared instead of scary. Or the :P that looks like a lot of things, but not like someone sticking out their tongue. But that's bearable.

Should these be merely bearable though? Why put in effort to improve them but then not make them actually better than they were before?

I love the OP's detailed review and suggestions. I am way too tired and generally incoherent to do something similar. Plus it's already here.

Just... If there's no time or manpower to do it better, maybe the old ones would be preferable, huh? If you cannot create something that works with your brand, then simplicity is key. Like the default emojis in this very forum. They're not bad. (I mean the yellow ones that appear to be the Windows Unicode version for me. Not the white ones that... are clearly added by you guys.)

Of course, if your goal is goofy and/or mildly nauseating rather than something that can be used to express emotion, that's probably been fulfilled. (Not being facetious. Clearly people have different ideas of what works.)

I hate that I sound like I am being mean. Someone probably did their best here. It's just... not a good change. Sorry.

This is very well said! And now I feel bad for not wording my post more politely 😓

Also, some more feedback about updated emojis from the subreddit, for those curious:

Spoiler

I don't like "emoji" in general.....but in Warframe they are so bad, that its not even funny.   They don't even follow whole "warframe" theme.

These must be styled like ability glyphs or something.  Even Grineer faces would do better.

5 hours ago, SortaRandom said:

This is very well said! And now I feel bad for not wording my post more politely 😓

Definitely don't feel bad. I never got the sense of anything but constructive criticism. :)

They feel more old than the previous ones to me

hace 7 minutos, (PSN)Hikuro-93 dijo:

Oh my? Are they going to change soon for consoles? Anyone care to share a screenshot? I'm curious.

The current/old ones don't have anything wrong with them, so why change them?...

n4M5gSu.jpg

^^Default color btw

Idk, they feel like those bad designed emojis from random games or websites back in 2013

vor 34 Minuten schrieb (PSN)Hikuro-93:

Oh my? Are they going to change soon for consoles? Anyone care to share a screenshot? I'm curious.

The current/old ones don't have anything wrong with them, so why change them?...

unknown.png

I liked the old icons more :(

2 hours ago, VoidArkhangel said:

- snip -

1 hour ago, Dark_Lugia said:

- snip -

Thank you. 

They do seem a tad cheesier, even if I don't really mind the change. 

Anyhow, if I had the choice I'd keep the old ones. Even though I'm fancying the emoji with the eyes lmao. The addition of variety is a good point too, I guess.

More emoji changes in Update 29.10.8!

22 minutes ago, [DE]Megan said:

More updates to the Chat Emoji faces & Recruiting Emoji!

Aaaaand...

8UGwEpN.jpg

Huge improvement! Thanks DE 🤗

I still feel that Warframe's emojis could go for a more stylized approach, but even if these most recent ones are still a bit "generic", it's nice that they get the job done without making me feel uncomfortable.

Archived