Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Oh No, What Happened to Charon!? [Discussion/Theory/Fun]

Librus_107

46dTDsZ.jpg

With the new Railjack content (which I have been thoroughly enjoying, kudos, D.E.), I've been noticing the old space visages are getting a much-needed visual tune-up. The once stoic, painted ping-pong balls that were the gas giants are now beautifully swirling balls of churning gasses - as things should. Venus's clouds and even it's Corpus reflector are visible on the yellow-orange horizon... it's really fantastic, especially since I'm a huge fan of planetscapes.

The rockier planets are getting a makeover too - Pluto's been updated to resemble it's more recently discovered pale-pink and grey-white surface. But looking out the window of my Orbiter, I noticed something... Pluto has a chunky ring system. Following my gaze around it, I noticed Charon, Pluto's massive moon (so massive it's more of a twin, forming a Binary Planetary system), is in pieces, the chunks forming Pluto's new ring! Quite a shocking surprise, to be sure!

I'm curious to what happened here - is this simply a natural process, or are the Corpus disassembling the moon for materials to feed to their factories back on Pluto? Some half-finished Orokin project, perhaps? Something horribly wrong? Regardless, I can't help but be curious and wonder what's going on up there on Pluto's smaller twin. 

This was a nice little thing to see - these planetscapes have gotten a lot more accurate, which is a detail I always enjoy (seeing the sun get smaller and smaller, for example). A nod to Pluto's massive twin actually existing makes the space nerd inside me quite pleased, too. I don't know if we'll ever get to find out what's going on with the now-crumbling semi-satellite, but I wonder if there's drafted ideas sitting in some cabinet someone's office... 

Not taking this discussion too seriously, of course - it's quite possible we'll never get a genuine answer - but it certainly stirs the imagination a little, doesn't it? But still, what thinkings & theories might anyone else have? Maybe building an Ambulas takes more material than we thought. 

54 minutes ago, --F--NerevarCM said:

Thats #*!%ing interesting. The Corpus proxima regions are extremely well made. Specialy the corpus mining operation on the ice rings of Neptune

know, right? Say what you will about game mechanics, but the visuals of this update are jaw-dropping. The Gas Giants are even "fuzzy", with their undefined edges of atmosphere. It's so good! 

Even spent the last 30 minutes exploring those auto-factories they have for MOA crews. There's all those little steps you can see unfold around you, like loading them into those ramsleds. And all those Fortuna working in the mines, almost humorously indifferent to the carnage as they dig away at the ice. "They don't pay me enough to care..."

5 minutes ago, Librus_MT said:

know, right? Say what you will about game mechanics, but the visuals of this update are jaw-dropping. The Gas Giants are even "fuzzy", with their undefined edges of atmosphere. It's so good! 

Even spent the last 30 minutes exploring those auto-factories they have for MOA crews. There's all those little steps you can see unfold around you, like loading them into those ramsleds. And all those Fortuna working in the mines, almost humorously indifferent to the carnage as they dig away at the ice. "They don't pay me enough to care..."

The Ice Driver is #*!%ing cool too. You can see every step made from "harvesting" the ice to cutting it and making it a "bullet".

The derelicts half Orokin half Corpus, with the Corpus exploring the derelict with different types of devices.

They did put a lot of time on the Proximas to make it super cool and immersive.

About Charon, I know some things about astronomy but I don't know if destroying Charon would make it safe to create cities in Pluto by removing the gravity shenanigans that come with binary systems.

17 minutes ago, --F--NerevarCM said:

The Ice Driver is #*!%ing cool too. You can see every step made from "harvesting" the ice to cutting it and making it a "bullet".

The derelicts half Orokin half Corpus, with the Corpus exploring the derelict with different types of devices.

They did put a lot of time on the Proximas to make it super cool and immersive.

About Charon, I know some things about astronomy but I don't know if destroying Charon would make it safe to create cities in Pluto by removing the gravity shenanigans that come with binary systems.

It's possible - I don't know the exact numbers, so it's quite possible there's some sort of mutual tidal pull both are extruding on each other that would make it hard to build anything there otherwise. As for the Lua idea - that's interesting. I wonder if they have plans to tie it in with something - it does sort of look like some sort of energy is flowing from it. Could be some Orokin-related/Void-related shenanigans going on!

Ha... I must admit that even though the Railjack update has been hit or miss in many respects, the upgraded planetary/environmental visuals are definitely a hit. I must also admit that I totally missed Charon while doing those new Pluto missions.

Guesses? I suppose the mining one is the most reasonable, seeing what the factions do with minor planets and asteroids in general in the Sol system. Or maybe poor Charon served as target practice for whatever weaponry was invented. Or a collision with a large object might be at fault.

In my headcanon, its something to do with the Orokin.

You see, Orokin dont live on "planet". They live above - "The Golden Skymen would come and take our children away" - Sands of Inaros transcript. Wheres above of Mars? Deimos. Lua also - where in the War Within we visit peak of Everest, where Orokin comes down to choose their new body. 

Not to mention in the tale of Grendel, which take place in Io - though theres normies there as well.

So either it got bombed to pieces by Tennos who think not worth finding Orokin there - cause its too small, or its one of the earlier target of Sentients, maybe its the first thing they see when they come to Sol System.

Could be sentients too. IIRC, their point of entry into the Origin System was the Outer Terminus on Pluto. It could be that they decided to annihilate Charon for whatever reason, maybe just as a show of power or because they mistook it for Pluto itself.

Either way, it's really interesting to stumble upon something like this

Talking about Pluto the planet is shown in the background of Call of the Tempestarii so I had a theory we would go to Pluto do something. Maybe Charon has something to do with it or maybe thats what we see in Pluto RJ maps corpus are using giant lasers and gates to destroy asteroids / planets for resources ? Who knows.

11 hours ago, pascaLLL_ said:

In my headcanon, its something to do with the Orokin.

You see, Orokin dont live on "planet". They live above - "The Golden Skymen would come and take our children away" - Sands of Inaros transcript. Wheres above of Mars? Deimos. Lua also - where in the War Within we visit peak of Everest, where Orokin comes down to choose their new body. 

Not to mention in the tale of Grendel, which take place in Io - though theres normies there as well.

So either it got bombed to pieces by Tennos who think not worth finding Orokin there - cause its too small, or its one of the earlier target of Sentients, maybe its the first thing they see when they come to Sol System.

Hmm - that's actually interesting to note, and now that I think about it - quite true. The moons are always more populated with Orokin architecture than the worlds they orbit. 

Combined with this, too:

10 hours ago, Bryuf said:

Could be sentients too. IIRC, their point of entry into the Origin System was the Outer Terminus on Pluto. It could be that they decided to annihilate Charon for whatever reason, maybe just as a show of power or because they mistook it for Pluto itself.

Either way, it's really interesting to stumble upon something like this

Makes me wonder if there'll be a nod to sort of the "moment" (or whatever you'd call it) when the Sentients first showed up - the sort of terror when everyone realize that they were really mad and absurdly powerful. Charon being the site of the "first strike", where the initially mega-super-sentient(s) anihilated some Orokin city-world. 

It's also possible it might have to do with the Tempestarii, which I quietly hope so - we'll get an answer sooner than we think. :D 

Archived