Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Railjack Gamepad Feedback

Peyji

So, as the title suggests, I play Warframe on the PC with an Xbox One gamepad. I do this largely because my hands aren't what they used to be and playing such an action-heavy game with just a mouse and keyboard is guaranteed to have my hands aching like you wouldn't believe inside of twenty minutes (I personally blame way too much Diablo 2 in my early teens). Watching the dev stream yesterday made me aware of a few things and pay attention to a few things, which is leading me to making a few recommendations and an observation or two.

1: Give reloading a gamepad keybind for Railjack, not just core Warframe content. I have rank 9 in the Gunnery Intrinsic, but as of right now the only way I can manually reload after overheating my turrets to trigger the rapid cooldown is to physically reach over to my keyboard and hit the reload key. I tested this with both my pilot and gunner turrets in Earth Proxima's Free Flight node. This right here is definitely the big one to do something about if you don't want console players raging too much over the Gunnery Intrinsic changes.

2: Allow rebinding of the Ability Menu command for Railjack. I feel like this one is something that was accidentally overlooked. Given the changes to Railjack, I figured it was pass time to try and change my gamepad bindings into something more intuitive for flight. The Ability Menu being locked to the RB button when I'd really, really prefer that to be just for banking right is not intuitive, plus it makes it currently impossible to roll to the right with a gamepad. Believe me, I've tried.

3: This is more of a suggestion than a recommendation, but separating Dodge/Blink from Move Down might a good idea. As it is, there's four buttons on the Xbox One gamepad that go completely unused when it comes to default keybinds for the gamepad (The D-pad down, the X & Y buttons, and that funky button above the D-pad with the double-box on it that I think it commonly called the 'view' button).

4: Just what is the purpose of the Toggle Railjack Camera that by default is bound to the D-pad Up key? Near as I can tell, I honestly cannot discover any possible use for this command beyond an odd locked-in-place, over-the-shoulder external camera view of my Railjack without HUD elements that's not exactly useful for flight and not at all for combat. What is it even for? Don't get me wrong it's a cool view, but not only does it feel like it's stepping on Captura toes, it feels like it could and should be doing a lot more than it currently does, and worst of all right now it feels like a useless appendage, like a vestigial tail.

5: Railjack/Archwing specific Captura scenes would actually be pretty cool now that I'm thinking about it. Not actually something I was even intending to touch on when I started this threat, but my last point made a little lightbulb go off over my head.

5 minutes ago, Peyji said:

1: Give reloading a gamepad keybind for Railjack, not just core Warframe content. I have rank 9 in the Gunnery Intrinsic, but as of right now the only way I can manually reload after overheating my turrets to trigger the rapid cooldown is to physically reach over to my keyboard and hit the reload key. I tested this with both my pilot and gunner turrets in Earth Proxima's Free Flight node. This right here is definitely the big one to do something about if you don't want console players raging too much over the Gunnery Intrinsic changes.

You can probably use a Modifier or Action Layer in Steam Input to create an Additional Binding on your Controller to Reload....

The tricky part is How to set it up so that it doesn't interfere with all the Other Features....

7 minutes ago, Peyji said:

2: Allow rebinding of the Ability Menu command for Railjack. I feel like this one is something that was accidentally overlooked. Given the changes to Railjack, I figured it was pass time to try and change my gamepad bindings into something more intuitive for flight. The Ability Menu being locked to the RB button when I'd really, really prefer that to be just for banking right is not intuitive, plus it makes it currently impossible to roll to the right with a gamepad. Believe me, I've tried.

This one will be harder to fix on your own.... It's up to DE to satisfy your Request....

20 minutes ago, Lutesque said:

You can probably use a Modifier or Action Layer in Steam Input to create an Additional Binding on your Controller to Reload....

The tricky part is How to set it up so that it doesn't interfere with all the Other Features....

I shouldn't have to to and fix this on my own with some janky 3rd party software of questionable reliability, and trying to do stuff like that when you're not used to it is an exercise in frustration. More importantly if it remains as-is when this update rolls out to console players, it's going to cause issues because console players won't have any reason whatsoever to advance beyond rank 8 in the Gunnery Intrinsic. They'll be shooting themselves in the foot otherwise.

24 minutes ago, Lutesque said:

This one will be harder to fix on your own.... It's up to DE to satisfy your Request....

That's why I called these recommendations. As in, things that I've noticed that I recommend be addressed before the console player fanbase, who use gamepads a hell of a lot more than the vast majority of PC players, take notice. And they will notice. Now, I don't play Warframe on a console, so I don't even know if console players can rebind commands. I'm just pointing out how inefficient things currently are for gamepad users.

Just now, Peyji said:

I shouldn't have to to and fix this on my own with some janky 3rd party software of questionable reliability, and trying to do stuff like that when you're not used to it is an exercise in frustration

I totally agree... Sorry if it sounded like I was putting the onus on you 😁 !!!

At any rate as far as 3rd Party Software goes... Steam Input has been the most impressive out of all of them by far... Slowly but surely people are begin to realise it.... Some wonder how they went without it all this time 😮 !!!

3 minutes ago, Peyji said:

More importantly if it remains as-is when this update rolls out to console players, it's going to cause issues because console players won't have any reason whatsoever to advance beyond rank 8 in the Gunnery Intrinsic. They'll be shooting themselves in the foot otherwise.

I've always wanted Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo to have Steam's comprehensive Controller Customizations options.... The most you can get out of these systems is you can swap the Button's around.... That's just about it....

6 minutes ago, Peyji said:

so I don't even know if console players can rebind commands

As far as I know... They can't.... Console Players have it super Rough....

7 minutes ago, Peyji said:

I'm just pointing out how inefficient things currently are for gamepad users

Indeed they are... So while DE works on that... Hopefully Steam Input can Alleviate some of your Pain....hopefully.... 😉 !!!

13 hours ago, Peyji said:

so I don't even know if console players can rebind commands.

We can.  We don't have really any hotkey options, but you can simultaneously use a keyboard and your controller for extra modularity.  And there is no way to really put the RJ banking onto a controller right now, but I haven't noticed much of a need for it in dog fighting so I just let it go.  I use an elite controller with paddle buttons on the back so that I can use certain buttons back there and not have to take my thumbs off the sticks.  Solves a lot of issues this game has with controllers.  

I do wish they'd give us more options with the ability menu function though.  If RB + A/B/X/Y can do abilities, why can't I set a hotkey or other function to RB + something like LT?  There's a lot of room for improvement and more modularity, but honestly with what they have to work with I think DE did a pretty jam up job with putting this button heavy game on controllers.  I'd certainly like a few tweaks, but it's pretty good for what they have to work with.

What about tactical when not in the piloting seat or a turret?
I legit don't know if my own rebinds were messing with it, but it was (I kid you not) Left Stick press + D-pad L/R. Simultaneously. 
You have to be a veteran of the early Monster Hunter games to manage something like that.  

6 hours ago, Wiergate said:

What about tactical when not in the piloting seat or a turret?
I legit don't know if my own rebinds were messing with it, but it was (I kid you not) Left Stick press + D-pad L/R. Simultaneously. 
You have to be a veteran of the early Monster Hunter games to manage something like that.  

Has to be your rebinds or some issue with PC.  Tac map on console is RB/ L Dpad.  Just like using an ability.  It's one of the reasons why I started wondering why we don't have more binding options for RB + whatever.

When I bring up the item/gear wheel, it has a tab that brings me to emotes.

Id like for another tab in the opposing direction to bring me to the Tactical menu used in Railjack missions.

Adding a reload button to work for the Railjack controller bindings is definitely wanted if they are going to just suddenly add that new gunnery 9 skill.

Alternatively I wouldn't have minded if it just did that reload if I press the aim button again after overheat.

I haven't gotten the blink skill for the Railjack itself, so I can't evaluate it properly.

Although I question why it exists when the railjack can move quite fast already.

Probably for throwing off enemy missile lockon.

The rearview camera.....definitely useless as it is now. Not like there is any kind of parking minigame we need to do.

Also if they allowed the Railjack to use some kind of rear mounted guns to use with the rear camera...

Would amuse me if we get a rear mounted super artillery. Not that we need one.

19 hours ago, (XBOX)TehChubbyDugan said:

Has to be your rebinds or some issue with PC.  Tac map on console is RB/ L Dpad.  Just like using an ability.  It's one of the reasons why I started wondering why we don't have more binding options for RB + whatever.

Like I said, this is when I'm out of the pilot seat. There it does work like you described (RB/L D-pad), but when moving about it's like the standard ability wheel (L3 press) except apparently there's nowhere else to put Tactical than the D-pad since of course we do have access to our frame abilities as well. 
Frankly that needs an action layer or other modifier. (Ditching the gesture wheel and replacing it with something useful while on board the RJ could be a stopgap perhaps.) 

I've barely played RJ before (in spite of building one as soon as they arrived) and haven't got any intrinsics above 6, but the more complex they get the more of a nightmare it's going to become.  
It's a pity since I'm having fun otherwise.

14 hours ago, Wiergate said:

Like I said, this is when I'm out of the pilot seat. There it does work like you described (RB/L D-pad), but when moving about it's like the standard ability wheel (L3 press) except apparently there's nowhere else to put Tactical than the D-pad since of course we do have access to our frame abilities as well. 
Frankly that needs an action layer or other modifier. (Ditching the gesture wheel and replacing it with something useful while on board the RJ could be a stopgap perhaps.) 

I've barely played RJ before (in spite of building one as soon as they arrived) and haven't got any intrinsics above 6, but the more complex they get the more of a nightmare it's going to become.  
It's a pity since I'm having fun otherwise.

That's super weird because it's always RB/L Dpad for me.  Pilot's seat or not.

Archived