Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is MR balancing / tiering weapons outdated?

Tyreaus

5 minutes ago, Famecans said:

no problem guy, this is just a topic, the DE are enjoying the weekend today 😅

question: my position on this topic affect your exchange market?

I have an Exchange Market ? 😳.... Why didn't someone tell me !!! 😱

28 minutes ago, Lutesque said:

I don't like this idea 😐...

I don't like the idea of any existing equipment being locked to MR 30, either. Fortunately, that also seems very unlikely to happen.

After a certain point, moving up in MR doesn't yield access to any new weapons, only to new extractor placements, higher daily standing caps, and painless Forma for your gear. But that's kinda the way I like it. It's a badge of honor, like the prestige icons in COD4 back in the day, and should remain as such. Certainly, that's enough reward for the many, many players who pursue it relentlessly.

And MR requirements already serve their primary purpose, of encouraging new players to use the lower-spec gear for a while, and focus on leveling up their mod selection. So phasing these restrictions out around MR 15 just makes sense.

I think the system could use some rework. Perhaps the system had merrit on release, but right now there's far too many weapons available per Mastery Rank for a player to even try them all before getting to the next rank. I understand the gating mechanic so players feel a sense of progression when they unlock things. I don't understand the rank relation witht he actual weapons though. Granted the MR1 and 2 weapons are pretty meh, but there are MR4 and MR5 weapons that are more powerful than MR14 weapons.

Granted, getting to MR14 isn't a particularly hard task for any player.

14 minutes ago, RazerXPrime said:

but there are MR4 and MR5 weapons that are more powerful than MR14 weapons.

Grakata (aka the introduction proper hybrid auto much like the Hek for shotties), Ignis (being the first real aoe) and what? Nukor/Atomos maybe if you count heat chains?

And those only count because the corpus stick got stealth nerfed with status chance not really providing status chance.

11 minutes ago, Andele3025 said:

Grakata (aka the introduction proper hybrid auto much like the Hek for shotties), Ignis (being the first real aoe) and what? Nukor/Atomos maybe if you count heat chains?

And those only count because the corpus stick got stealth nerfed with status chance not really providing status chance.

You're pretty confusing. Are you agreeing or disagreeing?

10 hours ago, RazerXPrime said:

You're pretty confusing. Are you agreeing or disagreeing?

Im asking, what are you referencing other than a speargun (a weapon type skipped and outright mechanically bugged by multiple patches) being technically sightly worse for regular gameplay than 2 "first proper of their type" weapons for general use (despite having much half the dps) or the intro chain beamguns?

Because without other examples its more a "exception that proves the rule/trend".

44 minutes ago, Andele3025 said:

Im asking, what are you referencing other than a speargun (a weapon type skipped and outright mechanically bugged by multiple patches) being technically sightly worse for regular gameplay than 2 "first proper of their type" weapons for general use (despite having much half the dps) or the intro chain beamguns?

Because without other examples its more a "exception that proves the rule/trend".

Any exception proves it.

10 minutes ago, Andele3025 said:

No, thats not what exception nor proof mean, in fact it proves the opposite that MR is a good indicator of performance.

I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying. I'm saying MR doesn't indicate strength because there's low MR weapons that are stronger than high MR weapons. Not sure what you're trying to say here.

6 hours ago, RazerXPrime said:

I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying. I'm saying MR doesn't indicate strength because there's low MR weapons that are stronger than high MR weapons. Not sure what you're trying to say here.

No misunderstanding, im in turn saying that for the weapons that are MR locked, its extremely to the point of being sub 1% of the arsenal rare that low MR weapon performs better than their higher MR even cross category options.

And before bringing up the case of melee, in it all almost entirely perform identically (gunblades, chakrams, gram prime, broken stances etc equally being outliers more than the rule) in the expected base content due to 2.99998 nerfing the hypothetical ceiling by a metrick #*!%ton and then raising the minimum/performance floor by a equal amount aka differences only hit in content DE themselves discourage you to do (where again the trend of high MR performs better starts cropping up but more so the few noted broken or balanced for 2.9998 and then buffed again during the patch for no reason get revealed).

Warframe's entire design philosophy is based around grind and getting players to be okay with grinding. I think grinding being at least slightly tied to power is a good thing and helps incentivize it more. I don't think the gap in power between weapons is too extreme (mods > weapons, always) and it adds some sense of progression to mastery further than just increased reputation limits and loadout slots (stuff that's more passive and 'meh' than actual power). 

Archived