Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Excalibur Umbra - The Bug Collection

Yunjuwo

3/29/2021: I'm changing the topic of this post. Its new purpose is to serve as a collection of bugs that revolve solely around Umbra, in the hopes that one day DE reads this and finally deletes Umbra's Sentience. If not, then at the very least it will act as a sort of outlet for me. Everybody can call me crazy for thinking Umbra's Sentience is the worst passive in the game, but nobody can tell me that these bugs/"features" don't exist.

3/28/2021 - Kuva Fortress/Spy

You get forced all the way back to Umbra's position instead of him teleporting to your place if you:

• use Transference while not the host of the session
  • die as Operator
  • switch back to Umbra right before falling into a bottomless pit

(you can sort of circumvent this by rushing on ahead with operator, then waiting in one spot until the game teleports Umbra to your location(this is still utter BS though since literally no other warframe suffers from this nonsense))

Screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/d9aOOh2

A.N. : Excalibur Umbra SPECIFICALLY gets a number of unique bugs that no other warframe suffers from, every time a new slice of content or event is released. Easy fix that's also a buff to Umbra? Just remove Umbra's Sentience; it does nothing but get players killed and cause countless bugs. Over two years since his release and ever since Day 1, Umbra's Sentience has been arguably the worse passive among ALL warframes, even compared against the likes of Frost or Valkyr or etc(at least those passives are just virtually useless, instead of being an actual detriment like Umbra's). Please DE, if you could only do one thing to fix Excalibur, delete this passive first.

3/29/2021 - Sedna/Survival(Steel Path)

Copy/pasted from previous posts because they're still relevant:

4/11/2021 - Uranus/Survival(Steel Path)

If Mania appears and applies Lifted on you while you have Exalted Blade activated, then you switch to operator and back to Umbra, you will be unable to use both Exalted Blade and your melee weapon, with only the first few frames of the animation playing out before your attack is canceled(if you try this with a Nikana, it looks like Umbra is quite literally masturbating himself).

https://imgur.com/a/AyYTjUv

4/11/2021 - Phobos/Exterminate(Kuva Lich)

If you build melee combo with Weeping Wounds/Blood Rush/the Gladiator set bonus, use Naramon's Power Spike to maintain your combo, switch to Exalted Blade and hit at least one enemy, and then let Exalted Blade's combo duration reset(either on its own over time, or using a heavy attack), you will lose:

• The Gladiator set bonus applying to Exalted Blade
  • Weeping Wounds, Blood Rush, and the Gladiator set bonus applying to your melee weapon, even if you still have some combo remaining on your melee weapon

To regain WW/BR/Gladiator, you must either use a heavy attack on your melee weapon to lose all of your combo and start over from zero combo, or wait for Naramon's Power Spike to drop you to the previous combo multiplier(e.g. With a combo multiplier of 5x at 97 hits and Body Count equipped, it takes 17 seconds to drop you to 92 hits, another 17 seconds to drop you to 87 hits, another 17 seconds to drop you to 82 hits, and another 17 seconds to finally drop you to the previous combo multiplier of 4x at 77 hits; in total, you must not use melee for 68 seconds to regain the effects of WW/BR/Gladiator(again, alternatively, you can also reset your entire combo with a heavy attack and start over from zero combo))

This is a problem I've noticed on all exalted melee weapons, not just Umbra, but I felt it was appropriate to include it here.

6/11/2021 - Jupiter/Assassination(Steel Path Incursion)

If you jump up to the Ropalolyst(I did to get a better shot with my amp), switch to Operator, and switch back when Umbra was killed(one-shotted because the Ropalolyst's lasers on Steel Path are lethal), you will(as Excalibur Umbra) LOSE access to ALL of the following:

• casting abilities
  • attack
  • switching to Operator
  • change elevation(i.e. you can't jump or fall off the cliff)
  • the visual model of your warframe
  • the ability to die(meaning you can't even kill yourself to reset your warframe(which, in theory, would unbug your warframe))

https://imgur.com/a/RczIEpm

2/13/2022 - All Gameplay

If you use Transference, the game treats Umbra as if he had no mods on; as a result, when you transfer back inside Umbra, your health is reset back to its maximum value without mods.

In layman's terms, you lose all your health when you use Transference.

This bug, out of all the bugs that's Umbra specific so far, is undoubtedly the worst one ever suffered. It completely and utterly punishes the player for using their Operator, and gets you killed even harder than the previous "feature" of making you as the player suffer the consequences of braindead specter AI Umbra. Especially whereas hardcore fanatics of Umbra's passive used to argue back with "just use Magus Elevate/Repair"(which I've stated countless times in the past that giving up an arcane slot just to fix the consequences of said braindead AI, is a pathetic solution)--now that's literally impossible, as a max rank Umbra's maximum health is set to 300 upon Transference(you can easily see this by putting your crosshairs over him and viewing his health/shields bar).

https://imgur.com/a/QGzDbfj

3/1/2022 - Bug from 2/13/2022 edit

Regarding the above-mentioned bug where you kill yourself upon Transference, it seems that certain mods are the cause. In my case:

• I AM killing myself if I equip:
    • Chromatic Blade
    • Surging Dash
    • Radiant Finish
    • Furious Javelin
    • Calm & Frenzy
    • Gladiator Aegis
    • Gladiator Resolve(the mod's base effect of +180% health carries over onto Umbra however, for whatever reason, so you drop to 480 health instead of 300 upon Transference)
    • Gladiator Finesse
  • I AM NOT killing myself if I equip:
    • Chromatic Blade(unranked)
    • Total Eclipse(any rank)

If anyone is reading this, and the bug still isn't fixed, feedback is appreciated on this bug especially.

8/26/2022 - Naramon's Opening Slam

Trying to activate this operator skill when you're not the host of the session will revert Excalibur's position back where he was on the ground last; making this skill impossible to use, basically. I'm aware that this has been an issue since the release of the Focus Rework, but I've been feeling more and more like I've been yelling at nothing but a brick wall, so apologies for not posting this earlier.

• 1 month later...

I was about to make my own topic but I saw this one before submitting it. I'll bump it instead in hopes that the devs see it and give us assurance that they are going to look into it.

Just to add, it really sucks that my favorite warframe is bugged. I have been gone from wf since the release of railjack and came back 2 days ago to find that excal umbra is broken. I can play other frames for a while, but having my main warframe bugged this bad sucks. I'm okay with excal sentience being removed. I was never too fond of it anyways, seemed pretty useless to me.

Cool. A topic I can get behind. I was thinking people were completely unaware that Mending Dash gets cancelled early upon transferencing back into Umbra.

It's pretty sad Umbra's fundamentally worse than base Excalibur cause of that buggy AI passive. :P

• 3 weeks later...

FIX MIGRATION ISSUES FIRST (This is a clear error that the warframe is not transferred to the operator unless you are the host).

This is my favorite warframe. I like intelligent Umbra, the gameplay becomes much more dynamic. The idea originally implied him as an assistant operator, who at that time was also just an idea. I was very happy when I saw him in the game, and I play with pleasure most of the time. The only serious drawback is the transfer between the operator and the warframe, here really, you need to knock on the developers, and seek a fix. A lot of new content has come out, all of it requires editing. But Umbra clearly did not finish and forgot, you need to ask and write.

P.S. Sorry for my bad English.

On 2021-06-15 at 8:06 PM, ExTerminatorOfClones said:

FIX MIGRATION ISSUES FIRST (This is a clear error that the warframe is not transferred to the operator unless you are the host).

This is my favorite warframe. I like intelligent Umbra, the gameplay becomes much more dynamic. The idea originally implied him as an assistant operator, who at that time was also just an idea. I was very happy when I saw him in the game, and I play with pleasure most of the time. The only serious drawback is the transfer between the operator and the warframe, here really, you need to knock on the developers, and seek a fix. A lot of new content has come out, all of it requires editing. But Umbra clearly did not finish and forgot, you need to ask and write.

P.S. Sorry for my bad English.

The issue with you teleporting to Umbra instead of vice versa upon Transference if you're not the host of the session, is nothing more than one of the more recent bugs. The real problem is the tie between the player and what is essentially an uncontrollable dumb AI. Let's be real, Umbra is not intelligent; he simply uses the same weapons and mods you equip to mask the fact that his behavior is copy/pasted straight out of specter AI(except Umbra's is worse).

The way I see it, if this passive is actively and consistently hurting Excalibur Umbra's viability with every new update, it's like raids breaking all over again. To which, I say beg: just remove it altogether(that's what was done with raids anyway).

Am 30.5.2021 um 06:31 schrieb Totterson:

Cool. A topic I can get behind. I was thinking people were completely unaware that Mending Dash gets cancelled early upon transferencing back into Umbra.

It's pretty sad Umbra's fundamentally worse than base Excalibur cause of that buggy AI passive. :P

He isnt worse people are just not able to use him or make up ,,big'' bugs out of thin air

On 2021-06-25 at 6:01 AM, ExTerminatorOfClones said:

Two perfect spies in a row, especially for you. Security teased as much as he could. Please spare me your fantasies in the future. Study the game world, train.

Actually just based on the first spy room alone it appears to be a showcase of both incredible luck and terrible AI. You'll have to go for a much bigger sample size. Now I won't say I've personally had Umbra mess up any of my spy missions, but having enemies be alerted in a spy room very much typically causes them to move to set off the alarms when they are able to, which can never be seen as a "good" thing.

On 2021-06-26 at 1:43 AM, FSK41 said:

He isnt worse people are just not able to use him or make up ,,big'' bugs out of thin air

It's partly an exaggeration on my part but I'm still not that far off since none of the bugs on the list can be disproven. The only benefit Umbra has to me is unlimited ammo on my Bramma and that gets boring in ways words can't describe.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2021-06-26 at 2:43 AM, FSK41 said:

Excalibur Umbra isn't worse stat-wise. Rather, he is worse than his counterparts for normal use in public and private play. It's related to the dire inconveniences his bugs cause for gameplay. I definitely disagree that the bugs are 'out of thin air' since they happen on the regular.

• 2 months later...
On 2021-07-21 at 6:31 AM, Aerokaze said:

Excalibur Umbra isn't worse stat-wise. Rather, he is worse than his counterparts for normal use in public and private play. It's related to the dire inconveniences his bugs cause for gameplay. I definitely disagree that the bugs are 'out of thin air' since they happen on the regular.

This 100

I just randomly remembered Echoes of Umbra and I gotta ask... is the new Helminth Invigoration system taken from the delayed Echoes of Umbra update, mentioned from about two years ago? Because like Invigorations, EoU was also meant to work as a "temporary buff to a selected warframe, given you sacrifice some resources". I realize that nobody well-experienced with Umbra would ever consider adding the Umbra's Sentience passive onto any other warframe, but the more interesting bit that was mentioned was how you could remove the passive as well. The EoU update is still currently on indefinite hiatus(as all things are in Warframe lol) if I recall correctly, but how amazing would it be for Echoes of Umbra to be officially released? It would literally make everyone happy: on one side, people that dislike Umbra's Sentience on Excalibur could finally be free of their curse; on the other, people that like Umbra's Sentience could not only keep it on Excalibur, but also equip it on whatever warframe they choose. Granted, it wouldn't need to be a "24 hour effect" as it was hinted to be. Currently, Umbra's Sentience is certainly NOT some kind of game-breaking passive; realistically, it's more of a feature that includes both pros and cons. So there would be no argument against having this effect be permanent when injected into other warframes, until removed. With the expansion of the Helminth system, I could easily see the EoU update being included into the game as an upgrade to the Helminth system, similar to the Invigoration segment. The Prime Time video showcasing EoU even used the Helminth chair too, so it would be perfect.

URL to Prime Time 258 at 43:00(injecting Echoes of Umbra)
youtube.com/watch?v=6aF4VJDKt4E&t=2580s
link format: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aF4VJDKt4E&t=2580s

URL to Prime Time 258 at 47:15(removing Echoes of Umbra)
youtube.com/watch?v=6aF4VJDKt4E&t=2835s
link format: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aF4VJDKt4E&t=2835s

URL to Rebecca's tweet on the delay of Echoes of Umbra
twitter.com/rebbford/status/1165996703708790785?lang=en
link format: https://twitter.com/rebbford/status/1165996703708790785?lang=en

On 2021-10-06 at 7:39 AM, ExTerminatorOfClones said:

Today I found that the transfer between the operator and Umbra is fixed for those who are not the host. Now it's more of an accident, not a pattern. Congratulations to the real connoisseurs of this wonderful character! Huge thanks to the developers!!!

Hide contents

It's about clem'ing time, to be honest. Also, you still can't deny that none of this would've ever been a problem had Umbra's Sentience never existed.

edit:

Nevermind. The bug still exists, and your video is once again, useless. I just got these examples an hour and a half ago. If you think these are past recordings, I'll be more than happy to show the raw video files' properties to prove their creation time and date.

В 08.10.2021 в 08:49, Yunjuwo сказал:

It's about clem'ing time, to be honest. Also, you still can't deny that none of this would've ever been a problem had Umbra's Sentience never existed.

edit:

Nevermind. The bug still exists, and your video is once again, useless. I just got these examples an hour and a half ago. If you think these are past recordings, I'll be more than happy to show the raw video files' properties to prove their creation time and date.

I see you have a normal transfer, what's your problem? In personal dislike? I don't care about your opinion - everything works for me. Or I absolutely do not understand your English explain with clarity. 
P.S. I was thinking, why don't you delete the game - it doesn't work. ;)

1 hour ago, ExTerminatorOfClones said:

I see you have a normal transfer, what's your problem? In personal dislike? I don't care about your opinion - everything works for me. Or I absolutely do not understand your English explain with clarity. 
P.S. I was thinking, why don't you delete the game - it doesn't work. ;)

You ask me what's the problem, then you say you don't care about my opinion, then you ask me to explain with clarity, and then you tell me to delete the game. Do you have split personality disorder or something? Because even if english isn't your primary language, you must realize that you're bouncing to and fro so fast, that it would put Vauban's old Bounce Minelayer to shame, unless if you're completely daft. Now since you can't decide on what you want, I'll just tell you what you need to know:

Umbra still isn't fixed, your video has no weight because mine exists, and once again I'm right when I say none of this would be a problem if Umbra's Sentience passive was removed from the game.

If you seriously couldn't see that I was clearly teleported back to Umbra twice in my video, then I don't know what else to say other than you might want to go talk to an optometrist.

В 10.10.2021 в 00:20, Yunjuwo сказал:

You ask me what's the problem, then you say you don't care about my opinion, then you ask me to explain with clarity, and then you tell me to delete the game. Do you have split personality disorder or something? Because even if english isn't your primary language, you must realize that you're bouncing to and fro so fast, that it would put Vauban's old Bounce Minelayer to shame, unless if you're completely daft. Now since you can't decide on what you want, I'll just tell you what you need to know:

Umbra still isn't fixed, your video has no weight because mine exists, and once again I'm right when I say none of this would be a problem if Umbra's Sentience passive was removed from the game.

If you seriously couldn't see that I was clearly teleported back to Umbra twice in my video, then I don't know what else to say other than you might want to go talk to an optometrist.

Now I understand you (probably each of us did not understand something). The main thing here is that there is no return (very rarely  -"Now it's more of an accident, not a pattern"). Оperator must teleport to Warframe. Just like must Umbra's Sentience passive. The very essence of the operators that they are placed in battle suits through the astral (in the game of the void).

I said delete the game because you have something that doesn't work in it. You want to remove something from Umbra because it doesn't work? So why don't you use your method.
Or you cannot deny that if there is no game, then there will be no problems with it either.

My opinion that they saw and corrected it, it remains to be completed.
For this, I am even grateful to you that the topic is not closed.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2021-12-12 at 9:11 PM, RadioactiveName said:

Haven't seen any posts about this, but Umbra doesn't keep any buffs from transferring back from operator form. It makes it difficult to keep abilites up if you put Xata's Whisper or Roar on him and makes Vazarin essentially useless.

I've made that post already. It's literally the first thing you read here, but I won't blame you as the post itself is quite huge.

I've noticed that I've lost a lot of motivation to play Warframe over the past couple months. Not a fault with the game as a whole, but literally just Umbra ruining my experiences with my favorite warframe in the game. And with the latest bug I've encountered on him today(edited onto this topic's first post), I can confidently say that my "wanting" to play the game has just drastically and instantly dropped to maybe 5%(and that's me being generous; it's probably more like 2% tbh). I feel like I'm being punished for having my favorite be Excalibur. "Just play default Excalibur". "Just use [insert mod/arcane/etc. here]". "It's not a bug, it's a feature". I'm tired of people negatively criticizing me for offering suggestions to fix a warframe in a way that would harm no one, tired of facing more and more bugs with every update, and tired of having nothing done about any of this.

With that said, apologies for the ping @[DE]Rebecca but I feel as if I've been screaming at a wall for the nearing-three years since the release of The Sacrifice.

Can we please have Umbra's Sentience passive removed from the game? tl;dr: It provides virtually nothing, punishes players for using it, and breaks almost as bad as raids did with every update.

• 2 months later...

I confirm that the Umbra transfer bug, if you are not the host, is back. 
Unfortunately, this is critical for me so much that there is no interest in the game. I do not even take into account the donation specifically for this warframe. Sorry, but I can't stand it and have to take a break out game.
The last minutes of the video, the mission "Exterminate". Especially for demonstrating a bug:

Спойлер

• 3 weeks later...

Archived