Possible copyright issue with new character Vala?

10 hours ago, (XBOX)ScarecrowES said:

So I only saw one other topic about this, and it doesn't have many views, so I figured I'd start another topic to highlight a potential big copyright issue with Warframe's new Vala character teased in the recent Devstream.

The character model looks eerily like actress Claudia Black, who just happened to play a character named Vala in the television show Stargate SG-1.  Claudia Black has very distinctive facial features and proportions, and the Vala model in Warframe mirrors those quite closely.  Moreover, her character in SG-1 had gray streaks in her hair, and the Vala model in Warframe also seems to have these gray streaks (hard to tell if that's intentional or a trick of the renderer).

Even if this was accidental or coincidental, I think the very clear similarities between the Warframe and SG-1 characters are opening Digital Extremes up to some painful copyright issues if they choose to go ahead with this character design.  MGM owns the rights to the Stargate franchise and, obviously, its characters.  A character that looks like Claudia Black named Vala?  Instant lawsuit.

Has DE said anything about this since the stream?  I can't imagine there was not even one person over there who stood up and pointed out the big oops they were making.

That's not how copyright works.

• Like 1

To be totally fair, Warframe is a science fiction video game. And if there's one thing I've learned playing such...

...it's that if you just give it long enough, Claudia Black might actually end up voicing a character.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, (XBOX)ScarecrowES said:

-snip-

OP, it's just name similarity. They don't even look alike when you look at Vala from teaser and Claudia Black closely, both have very different face structures and proportions. If anything her face model looks like it is made with a face-app by using Adam Driver's and Cate Blanchett's faces.

2 hours ago, Corvid said:

You know what we need less of in this community?

Armchair Lawyers.

Agreed. 

People said same with Nora Night and similarity with DJ from The Warriors. I swear they do not know what " homage " is and jump into " CopYriGHt inFrIngEMenT " bandwagon without a thought.

Edited by Aeon94
  • Like 2

It's homage at best, and that is if the name is inspired by Claudia's SG-1 character and not a play on an ancient word for seeress/wand. Right now we dont know enough about what Vala will be, so we cant really say.

edit: And since the update will be called Call of the Tempestarii, which is already a reference to magic and magicians I'm not suprised if Vala is inspired by seeress or wand.

Edited by SneakyErvin
8 hours ago, (NSW)IronElemental said:

Where did that happen? Im pretty familiar with warhammer, having a huge army of Iron Warriors. Nothing in there looks like an acceltra?

When Acceltra dropped similar threads to this one started to appear claiming that the Acceltra was exactly like the Bolter from Warhammer, when those comments started to drop suddenly a portion of the players started parroting that statement to no end until maybe they realized it didn't made them interesting at all so they dropped it. Now it's this thing with Claudia Black, check the youtube video of Vala and read the comments: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj_piwLx7gk

• Like 1

This is the same thing with the whole Nemesis thing. 

It's a bunch of armchair lawyering from people who don't know anything about patent law and definitely aren't practicing lawyers. 

Companies like DE have TEAMS of lawyers for stuff like this, and I guarantee you they aren't worried about it, or the Nemesis thing either, for that matter. 

This kind of speculation just creates needless hysteria. Gossiping about it is at best worthless and at worst actually harmful to any kind of meaningful discussion atmosphere. 

Edited by Tesseract7777
  • Like 3
4 hours ago, XRosenkreuz said:

To be totally fair, Warframe is a science fiction video game. And if there's one thing I've learned playing such...

...it's that if you just give it long enough, Claudia Black might actually end up voicing a character.

Didn't she voice a character in Destiny 2? One of the vendors.

5 hours ago, Psianide73 said:

Looks more like Cate Blanchette to me.

That was my first thought.

1 hour ago, DLmusic said:

Didn't she voice a character in Destiny 2? One of the vendors.

Yep, she is the voice actor of Eververse Vendor.

@vanaukas

I just scrolled through about 20 minutes of youtube comments before i gave up. That was about as awfull as trying to read twitch comments.

Tons of 'people' all 'thinking' they are the 1st one to comment all the same comment over and over again.. I hurt my brain. I need to kill off the hurt part with some whisky.

Acceltra looking like a Bolter is really far fetched. I cant see it even if i squint really hard. I've never watched farscape or sg1, but i can imagine this is about as striking a likeness as Acceltra is to a Bolter.

🥂

and on with my life..

Edit: im getting some nasty starwars vibes out of this behaviour actually. That spaceship commander played by Elly Sattler from Jurassic Park, that wa sso insanely overhyped as being cool and interesting, turning out in my mind to be a completely boring idiot of a commander, who could have had evryone on board with her plan by simply explaining herself, instead of exiling the one who asked a question.

Im trusting DE to do a better job at building a cool character than Disney, and the music does actually sound pretty cool (i know, im parroting a popular opinion myself too now)

Edited by (NSW)IronElemental
Added stuff, prevented double-post
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, (NSW)IronElemental said:

Acceltra looking like a Bolter is really far fetched. I cant see it even if i squint really hard. I've never watched farscape or sg1, but i can imagine this is about as striking a likeness as Acceltra is to a Bolter.

It was less the look and more the way it functions (A rapid-fire microrocket launcher). Still tenuous, but at least a shade more logical.

only time a lawsuit would actually stand for something like this is if it was essentially a 1 to 1 comparison, and it was proven DE used the copyrighted character for reference while making the character.

Its actually very easy to get away with almost completely ripping off a character design and not getting into any legal consequences.

No need to worry.

... no one watched stargate sg-1. 

Most famous actor on there did MacGyver in 1985, don't think there is any chance it's going to blow up.

1 minute ago, Surbusken said:

No need to worry.

... no one watched stargate sg-1. 

Most famous actor on there did MacGyver in 1985, don't think there is any chance it's going to blow up.

The merits (or lack thereof) of a copyright suit aside, the "chance it's going to blow up" is probably more dependent on who might be able to sue, and who is available to be sued. I doubt the popularity of SG-1 really factors into that decision, even if some of us did watch it. :P