Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Best Review of WF

Not a big fan of warframe's youtube community, but Skill Up make some of the greatest review on the internet. His one about second dream is just outstanding:

For those who got time on their hands, his half hour review of warframe is actually what got me play the game:

Ah, Destiny. Got it handed to me for free when it was on Bnet. Played through the campaign up to the bit where you get the third subclass. A nicely polished experience with cool gameplay loop. Liked it enough to be looking forward to the Steam and free-to-play shift, and even prepped some money to buy Forsaken.

Then it turned out the transition to Steam wiped my campaign progress, and I haven't bothered to go back since. Yeah, it was a polished experience, but it wasn't anything I haven't played before. It just felt like Borderlands with less personality. I didn't feel like grinding my way through the campaign all over again.

Steve said in the last Devstream that Warframe is experimental. I felt very heartened by that acknowledgement. I've always said that Warframe feels less like a focused and polished experience than somebody's mad science experiments stitched together - and that's what kept me around. Obviously this experimental approach has downsides, but I just wanted to know what Dr. Sinclairstein and his lab assistants are going to try next. So Steve acknowledging how I personally see his game really spoke to me.

Sorry for the long post, I just haven't thought about Destiny in a long time, so a thread about this got all the memories rushing back. Also, this might belong in Off-Topic, so don't be surprised if it gets moved there.

As for the money I saved to buy Forsaken? I ended up buying Tennogen items with it instead.

55 minutes ago, Soy77 said:

Not a big fan of warframe's youtube community, but Skill Up make some of the greatest review on the internet. His one about second dream is just outstanding:

For those who got time on their hands, his half hour review of warframe is actually what got me play the game:

I also started playing because of his review, and while I still agree with most of it, I’m afraid he didn’t play long enough for some of WFs biggest problems to start rearing their ugly head.

I won’t go as far as saying his review is disingenuous, but it does paint the game as a near-masterpiece with very few flaws. And anyone with 200+ hours can tell you that is just not the case.

This game is a beautiful mess, and I’m afraid Skill Up’s review sets the expectations a bit higher than the game actually reaches. I still absolutely love the game, I just think that review should come with an asterisk or something.

The Second Dream is probably the best gaming moment this game has to offer but sorry to say, this review is yet another limited journalistic view about a game. Someone spent some hours to play the story quests in Warframe and comes to the conclusion...

It's not good versus evil, light versus dark but the young and impoverished versus empire and wealth.

Who-the-what-now? A review, even one the focuses solely on the plot, without mentioning the Orokin and Lotus is completely out of focus.

6 minutes ago, rastaban75 said:

The Second Dream is probably the best gaming moment this game has to offer but sorry to say, this review is yet another limited journalistic view about a game. Someone spent some hours to play the story quests in Warframe and comes to the conclusion...

It's not good versus evil, light versus dark but the young and impoverished versus empire and wealth.

Who-the-what-now? A review, even one the focuses solely on the plot, without mentioning the Orokin and Lotus is completely out of focus.

Couldn’t agree more. The article isn’t even a review of Warframe as a game, it’s just “the story is cool and the character creator is well placed”. Cool story bro.

33 minutes ago, Kaggelos said:

Also this review right here by mah boi Ricky, fun and non-toxic, as it should be, pointing out good and bad ^^

Review after 150 hours in warframe is like reviewing Superman after watching Man of Steel

14 minutes ago, (PSN)Wil_Shatner_face said:

I also started playing because of his review, and while I still agree with most of it, I’m afraid he didn’t play long enough for some of WFs biggest problems to start rearing their ugly head.

I won’t go as far as saying his review is disingenuous, but it does paint the game as a near-masterpiece with very few flaws. And anyone with 200+ hours can tell you that is just not the case.

This game is a beautiful mess, and I’m afraid Skill Up’s review sets the expectations a bit higher than the game actually reaches. I still absolutely love the game, I just think that review should come with an asterisk or something.

150% agree.

I'd like to believe that they're sincere, he just doesn't play videogames long enough as game reviewers need to play plenty of games and move on to the next.

In warframe's case: conveniently just enough before some of the fundamental problems with the game would've start to annoy him.

Anyway, i still believe that he do make some of the best review on the internet. I remember when yoko taro himself was impressed with the review of nier automata, I think i might've shed a tear when i watched it.

26 minutes ago, (PSN)Wil_Shatner_face said:

I have over 200+ hours in and I don't see the same 'problems' it seems you do, I just see a fun game with a bunch of fun experimental features to enjoy.

Flaws, IMO/IME, are often times just in the POV of the person, kind of like thinking someone is creepy looking or not, correlating to your attraction to them.

Are there bugs? Yup.

Are there things that are intended for an audience that is not necessarily me, specifically? Sure.

But this idea that the game is full of more bad things just because you have played more of the game is not a truism, IME, it just means some number of vocal gamers think they should be the ones directing the grand experiment, IMO.

Show me a GaaS game without 'flaws' from the perspective of the bored, content hungry, avid gamer.

IME, you find what you look for in GaaS games.

1 minute ago, Zimzala said:

I have over 200+ hours in and I don't see the same 'problems' it seems you do, I just see a fun game with a bunch of fun experimental features to enjoy.

Flaws, IMO/IME, are often times just in the POV of the person, kind of like thinking someone is creepy looking or not, correlating to your attraction to them.

Are there bugs? Yup.

Are there things that are intended for an audience that is not necessarily me, specifically? Sure.

But this idea that the game is full of more bad things just because you have not played more of the game is not a truism, IME, it just means some number of vocal gamers think they should be the ones directing the grand experiment, IMO.

Show me a GaaS game without 'flaws' from the perspective of the bored, content hungry, avid gamer.

IME, you find what you look for in GaaS games.

You haven't yet reached the tipping point of 500+ hours, when a lot of tennos from night to day become bitter angry gamers with an constant insatiable hunger for content that appeases them, specifically, and that is devoured before it even has time to settle down.

Give it time .. :P

vor 2 Stunden schrieb (PSN)Gentleman_Raven_:

Just read this quick article about Warframe, it sums up a lot of what keeps me coming back.

And it rips Destiny 2 a new butthole so that's cool too.🤣

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.eurogamer.net/amp/2021-03-30-forget-destiny-heres-how-warframe-makes-us-care-about-its-space-stuff

People...
learn to create names for topics. now it is pure provocation.
"Best Review of WF in my opinion"

2 hours ago, Vit0Corleone said:

You haven't yet reached the tipping point of 500+ hours, when a lot of tennos from night to day become bitter angry gamers with an constant insatiable hunger for content that appeases them, specifically, and that is devoured before it even has time to settle down.

I'm currently at ~4000 hours (in-game timer, so that's purely Mission time) and I'm not feeling bitter in the slightest. I feel like that ship has already sailed for me.

Some days, I wonder if it's even possible for me to burn out on this game. The worst I ever get is "Nah, don't feel like playing today. Perhaps tomorrow.".

1 hour ago, ZeroX4 said:

Review after 150 hours in warframe is like reviewing Superman after watching Man of Steel

Well, its just his opinion so far, and he also clarifies it, so it's good enough for me ^^

Im always happy to see new players enjoying the game we all grew to love as well :-)

Also, and more importantly, the fact that his criticism is don with respect and not in a toxic, disrespectful manner is even more appreciated, imo

1 hour ago, Kaggelos said:

Also this review right here by mah boi Ricky, fun and non-toxic, as it should be, pointing out good and bad ^^

I just watched this one, pretty good.

There's one thing that he mentioned that I think is a bit incorrect, when he mentions the content "island" with Eidolons, and that you have to kill Eidolons in order to be able to .. kill Eidolons.

Since when is this a thing? Did something change recently?

I did that solo and don't remember any of that circular dependency. I remember killing vombalysts to get the resources to rank up the Quills, which is what we need to get a decent Amp.

My first Teralyst was killed solo with a 1-1-1 amp.

53 minutes ago, Vit0Corleone said:

Hehe. Currently Steam says 712 and I played for like a year on the DE launcher before that...

I do not see games as Lovers, so when WF is no longer entertaining, I just won't play it anymore, I won't be trying to tell everyone else they are not having fun with me Ex, like so very many WF posters seem to need to do.

If I was going to be a bitter gamer, after 40 years, I would think it would have happened by now, but who knows, perhaps WF will 'change my mind!'...

I thank the stars I am not overburdened with the need to find emotional fulfillment in video games.

Perhaps I will 'turn' at 1K hours, I'll keep an eye out! 😉

2 hours ago, KnossosTNC said:

Ah, Destiny. Got it handed to me for free when it was on Bnet. Played through the campaign up to the bit where you get the third subclass. A nicely polished experience with cool gameplay loop. Liked it enough to be looking forward to the Steam and free-to-play shift, and even prepped some money to buy Forsaken.

Then it turned out the transition to Steam wiped my campaign progress, and I haven't bothered to go back since. Yeah, it was a polished experience, but it wasn't anything I haven't played before. It just felt like Borderlands with less personality. I didn't feel like grinding my way through the campaign all over again.

Steve said in the last Devstream that Warframe is experimental. I felt very heartened by that acknowledgement. I've always said that Warframe feels less like a focused and polished experience than somebody's mad science experiments stitched together - and that's what kept me around. Obviously this experimental approach has downsides, but I just wanted to know what Dr. Sinclairstein and his lab assistants are going to try next. So Steve acknowledging how I personally see his game really spoke to me.

Sorry for the long post, I just haven't thought about Destiny in a long time, so a thread about this got all the memories rushing back. Also, this might belong in Off-Topic, so don't be surprised if it gets moved there.

As for the money I saved to buy Forsaken? I ended up buying Tennogen items with it instead.

This is what I love about Warframe too. The ultimate trial and error that we get to enjoy without paying for.

12 minutes ago, bad4youLT said:

This is the proper review 

Oh god, ive seen that video... I loved the fact that it was 6 hours long, but... The best way to describe his review is thus:

Good objective observations here and there regarding mostly QOL and bug issues, but extremely subjective and whining tone for everything else.

Also, worst offender, for me at least, is that he is a fan of ''Spin to Win''. Most aesthetically unpleasing way to fight. Again, for me at least.

Archived