Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Launcher breaks after every single hotfix.

ShadowShane5

After every single hotfix since I first started playing this game, the launcher would stop working for several hours until it "magically" starts working again. By that I mean that the launcher does not let me play the game, and sometimes it doesn't open at all.  I don't know if this is an actual bug, or if it's something that's only happening to me. I would be very happy if this could be fixed, if not then I don't know what will happen next.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2021-04-01 at 5:53 PM, ShadowShane said:

After every single hotfix since I first started playing this game, the launcher would stop working for several hours until it "magically" starts working again. By that I mean that the launcher does not let me play the game, and sometimes it doesn't open at all.  I don't know if this is an actual bug, or if it's something that's only happening to me. I would be very happy if this could be fixed, if not then I don't know what will happen next.

Yeah, the problem is still there.

You see, the launcher is stuck showing what the Image is showing. (The red circle is for emphasis.)

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiAafm5MFow-g-0yeV02y4flQNThtA (I don't know how to insert images from URL)

Had to uninstall and reinstall to fix it.

I cant play today, there was a hotfix a few hours ago and my game patched, after that I can no longer get past the initial loading screen after pressing play on the launcher. What can I do? I did the otimizing DL cache, removing and reinstalling the game...nothing works! HELP!!

On 2021-04-21 at 7:04 AM, PurplePandaPrime said:

I cant play today, there was a hotfix a few hours ago and my game patched, after that I can no longer get past the initial loading screen after pressing play on the launcher. What can I do? I did the otimizing DL cache, removing and reinstalling the game...nothing works! HELP!!

Every time I try a new method the first time, it ends up not working the second time. You could try rebooting your wi-fi, it'll only work one time though probably. Other than that, I don't know what to say.

I am currently having the exact same problem. Hearing you say it should fix itself is encouraging (as I had thought this would be a problem for days or weeks or forever), but even so it's beyond irritating and disheartening to restart the game and install the Hotfix only for the game and subsequently launcher to completely fail to open (except apparently as a background process that isn't doing anything). Unless, of course, what I'm describing is a different problem but it sounds the same.

1 hour ago, Notsae said:

I am currently having the exact same problem. Hearing you say it should fix itself is encouraging (as I had thought this would be a problem for days or weeks or forever), but even so it's beyond irritating and disheartening to restart the game and install the Hotfix only for the game and subsequently launcher to completely fail to open (except apparently as a background process that isn't doing anything). Unless, of course, what I'm describing is a different problem but it sounds the same.

The reinstall only worked one time for me.

9 minutes ago, ShadowShane said:

The reinstall only worked one time for me.

You said in your opening post that this problem tends to go away on its own after a few hours. I recall having that experience myself a few months ago, so I'm just hoping that happens again this time. Reinstalling didn't work back then so I doubt it will work now, but if it isn't working again after a long enough time I suppose I'll have to try. Are you having the same problem as me or is it just similar? For me, after the launcher installed the new update and I pressed play, the game just didn't open. After checking my processes and finding it had opened as a background process, I ended the process and from then on even the launcher wouldn't open up (only displaying in processes as a secondary effect of Steam and not actually doing anything).

Any chance your anti virus is blocking the download?

The way your describing the problem sounds like it gets blocked, eventually enough people with the same anti virus program set it up to be a false flag, the anti virus gets a new databank of things it blocks/doesn't block and you can download the update.

Some Anti Virus programs can be temporarily disabled for a few minutes, so you don't have to worry about enabling it later again.

1 minute ago, Notsae said:

You said in your opening post that this problem tends to go away on its own after a few hours. I recall having that experience myself a few months ago, so I'm just hoping that happens again this time. Reinstalling didn't work back then so I doubt it will work now, but if it isn't working again after a long enough time I suppose I'll have to try. Are you having the same problem as me? For me, after the launcher installed the new update and I pressed play, the game just didn't open. After checking my processes and finding it had opened as a background process, I ended the process and from then on even the launcher wouldn't open up (only displaying in processes as a secondary effect of Steam and not actually doing anything).

Normally the launcher get's stuck on this screen https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiAafm5MFow-g-0yeV02y4flQNThtA. But now it's not even opening.

4 minutes ago, ShadowShane said:

Normally the launcher get's stuck on this screen https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiAafm5MFow-g-0yeV02y4flQNThtA. But now it's not even opening.

Mine never did that first thing, but my launcher is also not even opening. Perhaps we are or were having a different issue; if so, I suppose I'll start a thread for my variation of this problem but they seem similar enough to be worth lumping together until we can definitively state they aren't the same.

6 minutes ago, 16Bitman said:

Any chance your anti virus is blocking the download?

The way your describing the problem sounds like it gets blocked, eventually enough people with the same anti virus program set it up to be a false flag, the anti virus gets a new databank of things it blocks/doesn't block and you can download the update.

Some Anti Virus programs can be temporarily disabled for a few minutes, so you don't have to worry about enabling it later again.

No, the install went through just fine. The problem is that after it finished, the game wouldn't start and now the launcher won't even open. 

8 minutes ago, ShadowShane said:

So yes, the launcher started working for me again, but will most likely stop working by the next hotfix.

Well that's mostly good. Mine appears to still be broken unfortunately. I restarted my computer to see if that would help, and it seems to have caused the launcher to briefly flash down on the running programs bar but then it went away in less than a second and still refuses to open. Lovely.

Wait, I just tried it and it opened just fine this time! Give it a shot, hopefully it works for you as well and doesn't fail on either of us again!

Edit; Nope, it got stuck on that "Checking For New Content" page like yours did. Seems we do have the same problem after all. Great. Lovely. Fantastic. 

Well, at least going from the Launcher not launching to the Launcher getting stuck is something approaching progress... I guess.

2nd Edit: I tried verifying the game download from the launcher now that I have access to it. This gave told me all was good and gave me the option to press play, hopefully the game will actually start when I do.

Boom, that did it. It seems the solution is to verify the install from the launcher. Now, if you don't have access to the launcher then you're sol until it comes back, but maybe even try verifying the install immediately after new hotfixes to see if that can work preventatively. 

1 hour ago, Notsae said:

Wait, I just tried it and it opened just fine this time! Give it a shot, hopefully it works for you as well and doesn't fail on either of us again!

Edit; Nope, it got stuck on that "Checking For New Content" page like yours did. Seems we do have the same problem after all. Great. Lovely. Fantastic. 

Well, at least going from the Launcher not launching to the Launcher getting stuck is something approaching progress... I guess.

2nd Edit: I tried verifying the game download from the launcher now that I have access to it. This gave told me all was good and gave me the option to press play, hopefully the game will actually start when I do.

Boom, that did it. It seems the solution is to verify the install from the launcher. Now, if you don't have access to the launcher then you're sol until it comes back, but maybe even try verifying the install immediately after new hotfixes to see if that can work preventatively. 

Alright, I'll try when I get the chance.

I've had the same thing for a while now, though the time it takes to finally decide they game can be launched after each patch is fairly random.  Sometimes it hangs at checking for a couple minutes, and a couple times it's been 30+.  No real idea what's causing it, but since it does it after the patching is already complete, I wonder if it might be related to running checksums on the blob files.  It's only for that initial post-patch launch, once it decides the game is ready there's never another quibble before the next patch.

A new problem has emerged. The launcher downloaded the new content, installed it, and then it crashed and refuses to open again.

Archived