Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What makes people reply threads that are years ago

yoman15

I mean there isn't a problem for that, just curious.

Do people enter forum and search for topics that they want to look at, so they sometimes ended up with some old posts?

Or do some people intentionally looks for old posts and replying it to put them on top again?

Or any other reasons?

And I'm confused that some people even replying the threads with info from current patches while the post was asked 10 patches ago, did they missed the date for some reasons?

Necro-ing is a thing that happens all over the internet in such types of forums.

I think a large number of them is simply by people new to the system of discussion, enter the forums, search for a particular topic or term, and then click on whatever comes as a result not noticing the date of creation or last post.

There are intentional cases of course.

Possibly found them on google when searching for a specific topic and probably answered it without thinking about it. As I have done once before, some years back, funny enough. Because I'm so used to reply around here that I subconsciously assume all threads are shiny and new.

Regardless, I still stay that it's a good thing in some cases, since new possibly useful info is being added to an existing thread, gathering as much knowledge in one spot as possible. I also find it a bit hypocrite when people just complain about necroing threads, and then on certain topics (Crossave, Excal Prime, etc. comes to mind) complain about people not using the search button. At least regarding this first reason I mentioned, which is a fair one to me.

As for the second reason to necro threads... You know how "the forbidden fruit is always the sweetest"? The best way to encourage trolls to necro threads for no reason is to raise a fuss about it, as it's been happening in the last few weeks/months. This one is abviously not justified.

At least that's my opinion on it.

1 hour ago, yoman15 said:

Do people enter forum and search for topics that they want to look at, so they sometimes ended up with some old posts?

Or do some people intentionally looks for old posts and replying it to put them on top again?

Or any other reasons?

And I'm confused that some people even replying the threads with info from current patches while the post was asked 10 patches ago, did they missed the date for some reasons?

Because whenever you make a thread, someone will whinge that you “shouldn’t have made a thread about a topic that’s already been covered. Smh use the search feature you moron.”

No matter what you do, you’re doing something wrong and someone will be there to whinge at you.

You’re either posting in the wrong section, making threads about something that’s already being covered, or necroing an old thread.

You can’t do anything right, so why bother trying.

People actually searching for a question or solution through Google or the Forum shows old posts. They're not locked anymore so people comment. 

I've almost done the same until I noticed the date of posts.

2 hours ago, yoman15 said:

Or any other reasons?

Simple scenario

You come to this forum with brilliant idea you make topic "in game auction house" and bunch of users will jump on you telling you to learn to use search function
Instead of making another topic about something discussed many times

You come 2nd time to the forum armed with that knowledge using search function adding your 5 cents to someones else topic 
Same users that instructed you to learn to use search function and dont make another post about something that was discussed many time will tell u that you are necroing a topic

Yet they try to insult you with calling u necros many times they will eventually start to contribute to the topic u necro'ed making idiots out of them selves in the process

Anyway now u understand cause and effect

Yet in some cases ppl do understand that others may add their experience to the topic and are in every right to add their thoughts to the problem after some period of time

Well looking at it from little logic topic is not locked so what is the problem?
I think its just a fab so egocentric ppl can bash other users kinda like few years ago there was fab to address other users with "SIR"

Whatever is the case if someone use google or search function wouldnt it be better he/she find topic with answers spreaded in years where he/she can find what is looking for
Instead of 40 topics about same thing with same stuff repeated across them?

I dont see a problem in necro'ing topics yet we have here forum users that will feel urge need to reply to you if u post something in wrong section instead of just asking moderator to move it to correct section which does not make any sens unless we assume they are egocentric and they dont care about you doing it right but just about pleasuring their egos and telling you that you did something wrong just for sake being right

Same story with necro'ing a topic

3 hours ago, yoman15 said:

Or any other reasons?

I'll let you know in a few years why, hang around. 

Noobs found thread from google, then reply without knowing the context or how the forum works.

By the way, in some other internet forums, using the search feature instead of simply making new threads can be highly valued. I've been in forums where people would absolutely lose their **** if anyone dare to asks something that has been answered last year. or two years ago for that matter.

Veterans doesn't have to keep typing the same answers over and over again, mods have less threads to worry about, and noobs have 50+ pages of gold mine filled with information. It's actually not the worst practice in the world.

Lots of reasons like the ones presented and certainly others.

I personally take the other tack, I don't see why people get bent when someone does 'necro' a post.

I find that to be one of the weirdest things that a human could get upset about on the Internet, TBH.

The idea of 'old data' being automatically 'bad' is hilarious. I have heard the arguments and IMO they all amount to 'that data is old, those POVs are old, they are not worth reading'.

I find the outlook to be bizarre.

Playing as a necromancer is always fun.

Jokes aside most of the time easier to put together forum posts on an already discussed topic. Sometimes the user does not notice or does not want to notice the date of the said thread and instead commenting there and reviving it. There are ongoing long ago made threads like the ban the person above you or the last posts wins whatever reason. When you find a topic which totally describes the subject what you are looking for then it is simplier to post comment there than making a whole new thread just to spam and offload the forums. In my opinion it is totally normal since the moderators do like merging different threads with similar theme / subjects causing sometimes huge misunderstandings and chaos.

I rarely commenting on old threads because my favorite class was the Paladin / Rogue but always interesting to revive threads from many years ago. To begin with many of the old threads must be locked by achieving them but sometimes this step is skipped.

6 hours ago, TARINunit9 said:

My question is, how? I was under the impression that threads older than roughly six months get "archived" and go read-only

This was also my impression. I think some forum update broke something, because as far as I know that is how it worked for years and years and necro's like we've been seeing weren't even possible. 

The why is simple, they were google searching and found an old thread and felt compelled to answer, none of the necroer's are regulars so it's not like they understand this forums etiquette, for all they know it's a faux paus to make a new thread when you can search out an old one with the same subject. 

The how they replied, like you said, is the real question here. 

Forum archiving has been disabled because it created a lot more problems on the back end than it solved.

Unfortunately this means that many old archived threads are no longer archived, allowing users to post in them again.

If you see a user 'Necro-bumping' a thread, please don't hesitate to give it a report so a moderator can remove the resurrecting post and give the thread a lock.

Archived