Murmur farming: Fast missions (capture/exterminte) or slow missions (defence/interception) spawn more thralls per minute?

Often long missions means more murmurs per minute but it's up to the mission loop to know if it complements or contradicts your MPM.

IMO best to worst:

Survival and Mobile Defense net you 10 murmurs if your KPS is optimal with less than 6 mins clear time.

Defense net you 7 murmurs but as long as your clear time is around 5 minutes then it shouldn't be too insulting to do.

Interception is tricky to do but rewarding if you can pull it off right cuz you need to get good MPM while allowing mobs to control 2 nodes.

Exterminate, Capture, Rescue are fast missions that don't contradicts your KPS for extra murmurs too much and solid time vs murmurs ratio.

Avoid Spy, Excavation, Hijack, or the likes if possible, if not at all cost.

2 hours ago, Ragnafiro said:

Exterminate, Capture, Rescue are fast missions that don't contradicts your KPS for extra murmurs too much and solid time vs murmurs ratio.

I've found that the number one determining factor for these mission types is map size. For example, Lua Exterminate generates huge maps that can get me roughly 10 thralls even with the Corpus taking up half the spawns. Meanwhile, Earth Exterminate spawns much smaller maps and sometimes I get as little as three thralls

Yes, this is also why Hijack is almost worthless for thralls

Edited by TARINunit9
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, TARINunit9 said:

I've found that the number one determining factor for these mission types is map size. For example, Lua Exterminate generates huge maps that can get me roughly 10 thralls even with the Corpus taking up half the spawns. Meanwhile, Earth Exterminate spawns much smaller maps and sometimes I get as little as three thralls

Yes, this is also why Hijack is almost worthless for thralls

So fast missions with big maps could be the most efficient then?

1 hour ago, Guybrush88 said:

So fast missions with big maps could be the most efficient then?

There's always an element of luck, but yes. Just an hour ago I was in a Sedna Sabotage lich mission, and it was a nice big map where the actual objective was very quick. We got all ten thralls (and all three caches) in about 9 minutes

Sometimes when you finish a fast mission, it lets you re-run it, meaning 2 (and sometimes more) chances to spawn your lich.
Regardless of the mission type, i find it much better to farm murmurs by finding a new squad for every mission. If someone's lich spawns, it's 10 free murmurs, unless they decide not to stab it for some reason.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rantear said:

Sometimes when you finish a fast mission, it lets you re-run it, meaning 2 (and sometimes more) chances to spawn your lich.
Regardless of the mission type, i find it much better to farm murmurs by finding a new squad for every mission. If someone's lich spawns, it's 10 free murmurs, unless they decide not to stab it for some reason.

I actually avoid squads because when a lich spawns i want to camp it for additional 10 thralls but people never understand and just smash their keyboards at the lich even after i explain. Much easier to just play solo. Also, faster missions are good because as you said you can redo it. I think a certain lower limit number of thralls has to spawn and get killed before the node is removed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FiveN9ne said:

I actually avoid squads because when a lich spawns i want to camp it for additional 10 thralls but people never understand and just smash their keyboards at the lich even after i explain. Much easier to just play solo. Also, faster missions are good because as you said you can redo it. I think a certain lower limit number of thralls has to spawn and get killed before the node is removed.

This was true in the old system when lich kill murmurs were not shared with the squad. But now that they are shared, it kind of balances out.

It's more a matter of how you Manage the Mission

Thralls spawn approx every 10 kills or so, but can only appear when new enemies spawn. Meaning you have to be moving, or a new defense wave has to trigger.

max of 10 Thralls will spawn per mission; with this limit being reset if your Lich Appears and begins to Convert Grineer (10 conversions allowed on top of whatever spawned Before arrival)

This means "Fast" mission types can be more Productive than "Slow" ones. -If you Manage them properly.

Capture, Exterminate give me very good Thrall numbers, if I take my time and milk it. Basically instead of rushing the objective, I'll drag the mission out and slowly kill grineer while moving back and fourth between Tiles to manipulate Thralls to spawn.

in Contrast, Defense, Interception give me very poor numbers, because the Spawn Rate is linked to the waves cleared and I can't move between Tiles to force new spawns.

Survival is my least favorite, because the mission is on a timer which puts a cap on how slow I can drag it out. No Thrall milking there.

Excavation, Disruption, Spy are best because you can Ignore the Objective indefinitely. Got all the time in the world to force those max 10 Thralls out.

2 hours ago, (PSN)haphazardlynamed said:

It's more a matter of how you Manage the Mission

Thralls spawn approx every 10 kills or so, but can only appear when new enemies spawn. Meaning you have to be moving, or a new defense wave has to trigger.

max of 10 Thralls will spawn per mission; with this limit being reset if your Lich Appears and begins to Convert Grineer (10 conversions allowed on top of whatever spawned Before arrival)

This means "Fast" mission types can be more Productive than "Slow" ones. -If you Manage them properly.

Capture, Exterminate give me very good Thrall numbers, if I take my time and milk it. Basically instead of rushing the objective, I'll drag the mission out and slowly kill grineer while moving back and fourth between Tiles to manipulate Thralls to spawn.

in Contrast, Defense, Interception give me very poor numbers, because the Spawn Rate is linked to the waves cleared and I can't move between Tiles to force new spawns.

Survival is my least favorite, because the mission is on a timer which puts a cap on how slow I can drag it out. No Thrall milking there.

Excavation, Disruption, Spy are best because you can Ignore the Objective indefinitely. Got all the time in the world to force those max 10 Thralls out.

But what's the overall thrall/minute rate?

I'd rather do 3x4mins capture with 8 thralls each than 2x6mins spy mission with max spawn of 10 thralls each

42 minutes ago, Guybrush88 said:

But what's the overall thrall/minute rate?

I'd rather do 3x4mins capture with 8 thralls each than 2x6mins spy mission with max spawn of 10 thralls each

There Isn't a set Rate

Thralls spawn on Conditions, not a Timer.

approx every 10 grineer killed (+-RNG) there is a chance for the next enemy spawn to be a Thrall

So it really depends on how you play, not the mission type.

You need to put enemy radar and kill stuff as you do the mission, the more enemy you kill the more new will spawn as you move forward including thralls. Nothing beats capture and sabotage, extermination is still fine.

Survival is the absolute worst because you get 10 thralls in 5 minutes assuming you end up on the extraction point at 5mn, it is imho hands down the worst game mode, the easiest one because it is camping for thralls but it is hands down the worst in terms of efficiency.

You want a frame that melt everything in one sweep. Not using spells to clear is a time loss, it is about living the power fantasy to the fullest and consistently.

Then there are some advanced stuffs like, if there are thralls around, purposely dodging enemies to kill thrall then nuke everything and move forward, But imho killing everything constitently is more important than minmaxing spawn quality(spawning enemies while thrall are present)

Also count your thralls, you get 10 max and if a lich spawn you have 10 more.

You can always go public if you have issues farming fast, you get more murmur in parties because more monster spawn(meaning more thrall spawn) but you see less of your liches, from my experience lucky guesses are a real thing tho. In party always burst kill liches, it is not worth farming the 10 thralls except in the S#&$ty endless missions that are S#&$ty anyway ^^'.

Edited by Galuf

For me personally, I find both exterminates and disruptions to be the most efficient for murmer farming. 

Sure in exterminates you're not likely to find 10 Kuva Thralls due to the mission being too short and their not being enough enemies. But I average about 6ish Kuva Thralls per exterminate, and most of these exterminates take me about 1:30 - 2:00 to do. I find this average to be much more efficient than missions like survival where you'll get 10 Kuva Thralls, but the mission taking just over 5:00 usually.

Disruptions I love since you can get 10 Kuva Thralls and still extract at about 2:30 - 3:00, making it what I believe to be one of the best murmer farming missions out there, long as you're killing fast and doing the objective fast too. 

Edit: Just read more of the replies, surprised their are no mentions from others about disruptions. Honestly give it a go guys, disruption is amazing for getting 10 Kuva Thralls in a short amount of time. 

Take this from someone that's defeated 140+ Liches :) 

Edited by (XBOX)l Saminator l

8 часов назад, (XBOX)l Saminator l сказал:

Edit: Just read more of the replies, surprised their are no mentions from others about disruptions. Honestly give it a go guys, disruption is amazing for getting 10 Kuva Thralls in a short amount of time. 

Disruptions might be amazing (haven't paid much attention in the few lich ones that i've played), but from my experience with disruptions in general, there's two major downsides, that may or may not make the gamemode unpopular:
1) It's best played with someone, otherwise the spawns are terrible.
2) There's alot of people who treat them like regular missions, and alot of players who also just dont have the power to kill the demos on their own, both of which results in the destruction of the conduits.

And a note on topic:
After seeing all the different opinions, i really want to measure average thrall spawns per minute in each gamemode, but i also am kinda tired of lich hunting currently.....

21 час назад, FiveN9ne сказал:

I actually avoid squads because when a lich spawns i want to camp it for additional 10 thralls

Some work around for that, that i've been doing for my last few hunts:
Complete a few missions with randos, then when my lich is somewhere around one-third of the anger meter, i run survival or exterminate, trying to get it to spawn.
Survival seems to be the best for thrall conversion, since liches can only convert thralls in the same room, exterminate can be finicky with spawns, and sometimes requires kiting enemies towards the lich.
Something to note tho, in both of those, lich usually converts it's last thrall around 7:30 into the mission.