Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

gara kaleida skin with splinter storm

Iceman071485

just bought the skin and good god does it look good but when you use splinter storm it just ruins it, would it be too difficult for a small change to be made where she doesn't lose the glass when you pop splinter storm. I know this is all part of the aesthetic but she looks SOOOO much better with the glass on with this skin, i hope this change can be made

• 4 weeks later...

News update for all Tenno using Gara!

You have requested many times (many, many, times) to have a UI toggle that will give you control over whether Gara's glass armor parts will "shatter" while using Splinter Storm. You want to use this power all the time, but it makes your warframe look so much less... shiny when you do.

Given how persistent and unified this feedback is, we've decided to simply make this power not remove her armor plates while it is active. Adding a toggle adds significantly more complexity to the code and significantly more chances for things to break than just not having the effect at all.

We hope this change will be appealing to everybody living on the cutting edge of Gara fashion.

The community: "So long as it's an optional change..."

4 weeks later

DE: "Good news Tenno, you requested a toggle so we've made that change compulsory!"

It's nothing short of amazing. I don't know what to say, it's like I have unlimited wishes but it's all monkey paws. 

15 часов назад, [DE]Momaw сказал:

Dear DE, could you please remove Titania prime's energy wings then? It's been asked for many times, too. Even with the energy wings becoming transparent when aiming they're quite annoying. They also break the style of other Titania skins (like Deluxe skin that already has good-looking arch-wings and adding those butterfly wings make it look silly).

17 hours ago, [DE]Momaw said:

Adding a toggle adds significantly more complexity to the code and significantly more chances for things to break than just not having the effect at all.

I believe that DE should invest the time to integrate the Toggle System into the current cosmetics system. Not only for Gara's skin, but for many other cosmetics. This is a long standing issue and will continue to haunt the Artistic Design Team until it is solved in the way that the players have suggested.

Read more about cosmetics, their categorizations, and potential solutions here:

20 hours ago, [DE]Momaw said:

Adding a toggle adds significantly more complexity to the code and significantly more chances for things to break than just not having the effect at all.

This is a terrible excuse, and the complexity is worth the effort. Consider, for a second, if you spent some time turning ability effects into a new equippable cosmetic type. Gara could equip the "glass doesn't go away" ability FX. Nova could equip the deluxe hand FX. Rhino could equip a different Iron Skin effect. Titania could unequip the Titania Prime energy wing effect, as mentioned above. This could be a new feature for all frames and players, not just Gara. Not making such commonly-requested improvements to your systems because it might require some effort is... not very inspiring. To be polite. I'm sure making Syandanas separately colorable required more complexity, too. Yet you did it anyways and the game is better for it.

13 hours ago, PublikDomain said:

Consider, for a second, if you spent some time turning ability effects into a new equippable cosmetic type. Gara could equip the "glass doesn't go away" ability FX. Nova could equip the deluxe hand FX. Rhino could equip a different Iron Skin effect. Titania could unequip the Titania Prime energy wing effect, as mentioned above. This could be a new feature for all frames and players, not just Gara. Not making such commonly-requested improvements to your systems because it might require some effort is... not very inspiring. To be polite. I'm sure making Syandanas separately colorable required more complexity, too. Yet you did it anyways and the game is better for it.

I agree. Another example to throw in would be Saryn Prime as well:

The the extra flowy parts look great on Warframes new and old, but similar to how people ask about making Excalibur Umbra's scarf an Auxiliary piece (Which Valkyr / Valkyr Prime already make use of), there would hopefully be less work in the long run if it was an option.

• Quite some time ago I vaguely remember someone asked about Ivara Prime as well, but I can't recall where I saw it.

• Chroma / Chroma Prime's effigy taking his Armor off is another visual example; Previewing that in the Arsenal is already a toggle, in a way. Of course the Armor always comes off, but it's good for thought.

As a matter of fact @[DE]Momaw, why not try creating those as Auxiliary options for all the frames mentioned above? I'd like to think the code is already written, all that may need be done is to designate those specific things per frame as the parts to be taken off / on, and voila you have a pseudo-toggle right there!

• Unless I'm mistaken that is. I usually try not to assume too much into something, but I do feel that it wouldn't be exactly as hard as it sounds.

• Doing that for ability effects may be a slightly different manner, perhaps.

I am glad to hear Gara's getting that lookover, but there is more that could be done to benefit almost every Warframe too. It would take some time understandably, but I imagine many people would be willing to wait to see that come to fruition. I hope that helps :)

2 hours ago, (NSW)Gamer-Steve said:

I agree. Another example to throw in would be Saryn Prime as well:

The the extra flowy parts look great on Warframes new and old, but similar to how people ask about making Excalibur Umbra's scarf an Auxiliary piece (Which Valkyr / Valkyr Prime already make use of), there would hopefully be less work in the long run if it was an option.

• Quite some time ago I vaguely remember someone asked about Ivara Prime as well, but I can't recall where I saw it.
  • Chroma / Chroma Prime's effigy taking his Armor off is another visual example; Previewing that in the Arsenal is already a toggle, in a way. Of course the Armor always comes off, but it's good for thought.

As a matter of fact @[DE]Momaw, why not try creating those as Auxiliary options for all the frames mentioned above? I'd like to think the code is already written, all that may need be done is to designate those specific things per frame as the parts to be taken off / on, and voila you have a pseudo-toggle right there!

• Unless I'm mistaken that is. I usually try not to assume too much into something, but I do feel that it wouldn't be exactly as hard as it sounds.
  • Doing that for ability effects may be a slightly different manner, perhaps.

I am glad to hear Gara's getting that lookover, but there is more that could be done to benefit almost every Warframe too. It would take some time understandably, but I imagine many people would be willing to wait to see that cone to fruition. I hope that helps :)

Khora deluxe needs her chest flowers to be optional as well, they clash so bad with almost every chest piece. Luckily the game already has support for this kind of thing in the form of default attachments: Volt's shoulder pads, Oberon's shoulder pads, etc. Auxiliaries, too. More wide-spread support for this would be wonderful.

1 hour ago, PublikDomain said:

Khora deluxe needs her chest flowers to be optional as well, they clash so bad with almost every chest piece. Luckily the game already has support for this kind of thing in the form of default attachments: Volt's shoulder pads, Oberon's shoulder pads, etc. Auxiliaries, too. More wide-spread support for this would be wonderful.

That's a good point, I hadn't considered that!

Although there is one thought I had in case the Auxiliary idea wouldn't be doable; Perhaps a new tab unique to each frame could be added, where instead of making it function like a literal toggle (Such as Chroma's Effigy on / off preview), it could be coded to act as a separate Armor attachment.

I might be thinking a bit ahead here (I'm still learning about Game Development myself :) ), but in theory, what if you could just copy the code for the Arsenal tabs, and add one more "Unique Visual Feature" (Name not important) tab with an array of blank spaces there, and simply have two spaces, one where you have "None" selected, and the second array slot has "that Warframe's personal flowy / other unique visual feature"?

• I realized that if all the flowing things on Warframes went into the Auxiliary tab, then seasonal Auxiliary attachments like the Bunny Ears and Pumpkin head probably couldn't be selected at the same time as a frame's natural attachments. That might defeat the purpose of those, for people who want to have their frame's extra stuff on as well.

In the meantime, I also thought of a few other examples that may be thrown into this hypothetical new "Unique Visual Feature" tab (Which might be below the Auxillary?):

• Mirage Prime's flowing cloth around her legs / back

• The cloth around Wisp's sides

• Lavos' gloves (Due to the possibility they'll block the aiming reticle, unless that was fixed)

• If those were taken off, his actual hands might need to be modeled though.

• The back tail / tail-sides of Trinity Prime (I've noticed they can clip with some Syandanas)

• The Tails (Wings? Not sure if they count as wings) of Titania / Titania Prime (Considering they can clip with Syandanas as well, to a degree)

• To clarify, I'm mainly talking about her physical tail by her lower back, not the actual wings she has. Although those are another part to consider as well, in some ways.

• Come to think of it, if Titania Prime didn't have her tail right behind her, her natural sprinting animation might look like Wisp's!

• Important to consider: When in Archwing mode, Titania and her Prime already have said tails taken off. Meaning the Archwing-Warframe-model of Titania / Prime already exists in the game's files somehow. So with "None" selected in the new tab, you would basically have a tail-less fairy frame!

• As far as the ^ above goes, I'm mainly thinking about the default Warframe skins, as I don't have most Warframe alternate skins yet (Saving plat for the necessities :) ).

• But as you mentioned, there certainly are various skins out there with flowy, etc. areas built-in as well.

Of course, I would imagine that by default all Warframes with this new tab would have their extra parts naturally selected until taken off. That way anyone who wants to keep them on can do so without adversely affecting any other aspect of their Warframe visually!

• That's probably the best I can think of, so it wouldn't interfere with any seasonal / already-existing Auxiliary stuff. Although to be fair, I'm not 100% sure if this would be more or less game-breakable to code in, compared to an actual toggle. This hypothetical new tab would be a toggle with extra steps involved, but if it'll help save the game from some new bugs, I think it's a much safer option.

Doing all of this would certainly take awhile, but I can't stress it enough that it will improve the freedom of customization for Warframes if it were implemented. Making things a choice is always better, if possible.

En 7/5/2021 a las 17:20, [DE]Momaw dijo:

You have requested many times (many, many, times) to have a UI toggle that will give you control over whether Gara's glass armor parts will "shatter" while using Splinter Storm. You want to use this power all the time, but it makes your warframe look so much less... shiny when you do.

Given how persistent and unified this feedback is, we've decided to simply make this power not remove her armor plates while it is active. Adding a toggle adds significantly more complexity to the code and significantly more chances for things to break than just not having the effect at all.

We hope this change will be appealing to everybody living on the cutting edge of Gara fashion.

This includes her Auxiliary "Starglaze Shards" Wings, right?

On 2021-05-07 at 9:20 PM, [DE]Momaw said:

I absolutely get that toggles are much harder that most of the playerbase comprehend, shuffling that visual data on host migrations, making sure nothing messes with the state. Annoying stuff, if you don't have the time to make things like this properly systemic I understand not doing it.

That said

Do you not think that the feedback was unified only because people who didn't like it would call for a change?

I personally prefer Gara with the visual indicator of the power status, this change is bad for me as a frequent Gara player.

I'm not a coder, so I'd like to know how removing the code that creates the effect is SO much easier than adding a few lines that does the exact same thing.

Genuinely. I want to believe it's so much harder than I realize. But I can't wrap my head around it.

On 2021-05-07 at 3:20 PM, [DE]Momaw said:

As someone who is fine with Gara's glass shattering, as it is thematic, I never felt compelled to say anything before. If a toggle is not possible, or making it an attachment like Khora's spikes and Nekros' binds for example, I'd prefer it to be left alone. Also, the last two requests you linked seem to be the same request, and each one asks for an "option" or "toggle". 

Also, if you are going to alter how certain powers affect appearance based on requests posted to forums/reddit, I'd wager more people have requested Ivara's and Octavia's invisibility effects be reduced as they affect the fashion of those frames in missions more.

As a true Gara main, I have been hoping for a change like this for years now. However, like some other users have already pointed out, I am disappointed that the dev team won't entertain the idea of making this a toggle because it "might break something". Additionally, not everyone will be thrilled with this change. From the replies both in this thread here and the one on r/Warframe, it looks toggle features have been repeatedly requested for many different Warframes now.

No doubt this change coincides with the imminent release of Gara Prime, but I really believe the game could benefit from a universal toggle system for these types of cosmetics, even if players have to wait for something functional. This is a QoL feature that Warframe fashionistas everywhere would praise. It has already been done on some individual Warframes, and it's something that will be requested every time either a skin with an extra cosmetic feature, or an ability that visually changes the appearance of the Warframe in question is introduced.

On 2021-05-07 at 2:20 PM, [DE]Momaw said:

I really liked the glass shattering on her 2 a lot. Completely removing that functionality is very disappointing to hear

This is a deeply disappointing outcome. The reason the feedback was so one-sided was because the people who liked it as-is had very little reason to participate in the discussions. Almost everyone in my friends circle has expressed dismay over this change for one reason or another, and I feel like it's a decision that has missed the mark. Please reconsider the toggle. 

If Nekros blinds can have a toggle, umbras scarf can have a toggle, Valkyrie binds can have a toggle then: 

Spoiler

mesa primes chaps can have a toggle

rhinos iron skin 

frosts backpack can have a toggle

novas back jets can have a toggle

Oberons shoulder armor and loin cloth a toggle 

Chroma loin cloth a toggle 

Hydroid Prime's Shoulder Armor 

Ember's Leg Casings 

Khora's Active Ability Spikes (

Saryn's Collar Pieces 

Saryn Orphid's Shoulder Flower 

Nezha's Ring 

*Anything that can interfere or clip with armor or syadanas needs to be a toggle. 

Welp. I was all up for a toggle despite liking how the skin looks without the glass. In fact I would've loved a toggle for the helmet and another for the body, because while I like the body without the glass, the helmet... not so much.

In the end I'm quite disappointed, not because the change is being made but because of how divisive it is for no good reason.

Yes, I'm aware that this horse has been beaten into glue at this point, but please consider reading what I have to say rather than simply dismissing this post as yet another whinefest.

I fully understand that there are people who are dissatisfied with the way Gara looks when she is using her Splinter Storm; however, I would ask that those people read the description of the ability (which I will post here for your convenience). "Gara shatters her glass armor into a storm of razor-sharp fragments that encircle herself." Thus, it makes absolutely no sense that her armor would remain on her body while using this ability. This change is downright unfair to those of us in the community who had no problem with her appearance as it was, but since we had no issue with it, the devs took it upon themselves to assume everyone felt this way. That's not how it should work. I would like to request that the community as a whole be polled, and a decision be made based on those results, not based solely on the complaints of those who failed to understand how the ability is supposed to work.

Thank you for taking the time to read my two cents, and I look forward to seeing how everyone else feels about this topic. 🙂

Archived