Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

gara kaleida skin with splinter storm

Iceman071485

I have mixed feeling about this. I like how an ability actually having an impact on the appearance on the frame. It is also a nice visual indicator when splinter storm has worn off. I feel taking away this visual would be taking something quite unique away from Gara . I however also dislike how naked Gara looks without the glass armour.

This problem does remind me of how people spend a lot of time fashioning Loki and Octavia only for them to be invisible for most of the mission. Wisp being the only exception of frame who can be invisible to enemy but not the player.

Nerveless I think a poll to gauge community opinion would be warranted. As those who speak up are unlikely to be those are content with Gara as is.

Ideally of course we should have a toggle option but DE think that is too much of a hassle and that is why we have this thread.

Er. So at the moment Gara doesn’t lose her armour when casting splinterstorm?

Or it does shatter and you’d prefer that it doesn’t? Which I guess is the takeaway I have at the moment, but you said yourself that it makes sense that her armour shatters. And if that makes sense, why would it have been a community-based decision that determined whether it shattered or not?

I don’t have Gara on my PC account so I can’t test at the moment, but I’d appreciate clarification

13 minutes ago, (NSW)Greybones said:

Or it does shatter and you’d prefer that it doesn’t? Which I guess is the takeaway I have at the moment, but you said yourself that it makes sense that her armour shatters. And if that makes sense, why would it have been a community-based decision that determined whether it shattered or not?

I don’t have Gara on my PC account so I can’t test at the moment, but I’d appreciate clarification

casting shatterstorm right now removes her armor. a lot of people dont like this since it ruins her look, so DE is changing it to not remove her armor. OP doesnt want this change, they want it to still remove armor

20 minutes ago, (NSW)Greybones said:

It removed the armor when cast.

People didn't like it for aesthetic reasons, and asked for a toggle.

Instead of making a toggle, DE went the easy route and just made it so visually, her armor stays, as it seems their stats told them that was the more popular desire. 

Now a different, presumably smaller group of people are unhappy instead.

1 minute ago, Tesseract7777 said:

It removed the armor when cast.

People didn't like it for aesthetic reasons, and asked for a toggle.

Instead of making a toggle, DE went the easy route and just made it so visually, her armor stays, as it seems their stats told them that was the more popular desire. 

Now a different, presumably smaller group of people are unhappy instead.

That's the problem. DE is assuming that fewer people will be upset by this change than if they left it as is. That's why I'm trying to get them to poll the community. It probably won't happen, but it doesn't hurt to try. If it turns out that more people want this change than not, that's fine, those of us who don't like it will just have to live with it. But they shouldn't just assume one way or the other.

Just now, perylousdemon said:

That's the problem. DE is assuming that fewer people will be upset by this change than if they left it as is. That's why I'm trying to get them to poll the community. It probably won't happen, but it doesn't hurt to try. If it turns out that more people want this change than not, that's fine, those of us who don't like it will just have to live with it. But they shouldn't just assume one way or the other.

Even if only 10% of people want to have the armor removed, imo that's still a lot of people, they should have made it a toggle. They still can. IMO they still should, and I don't even use Gara yet, but imo this is an easy choice. Don't make a cop out about potential bugs, just give people a toggle even if it takes longer to do. That's what the community was asking for. 

Not to take away what others enjoy. 

Just now, Tesseract7777 said:

Even if only 10% of people want to have the armor removed, imo that's still a lot of people, they should have made it a toggle. They still can. IMO they still should, and I don't even use Gara yet, but imo this is an easy choice. Don't make a cop out about potential bugs, just give people a toggle even if it takes longer to do. That's what the community was asking for. 

Not to take away what others enjoy. 

I would be perfectly fine with a toggle, and I'm sure others would as well. I just want a choice, which they aren't currently giving us.

Ahhhh, thanks for the clarification @Miser_able and @Tesseract7777.

Maybe they’ll change the expectations around the ability? The reason it shatters her armour is because the description says it does, and perhaps an updated description conveying an alternative source of all the shards would work.

edit: Personally, I do like the idea of physical appearance being linked to an ability and am mildly saddened at the change, but if they do a proper alternative, I don’t mind stepping aside for others. Much as I advocate for freedom of choice in this game, a toggle shoe-horned in wouldn’t strike me as a proper alternative.

That said, they could just as well make it so it’s exactly the same just that the armour doesn’t disappear 🤷‍♀️. That’d be disappointing, though I have higher expectations

7 hours ago, (NSW)Greybones said:

Ahhhh, thanks for the clarification @Miser_able and @Tesseract7777.

Maybe they’ll change the expectations around the ability? The reason it shatters her armour is because the description says it does, and perhaps an updated description conveying an alternative source of all the shards would work.

edit: Personally, I do like the idea of physical appearance being linked to an ability and am mildly saddened at the change, but if they do a proper alternative, I don’t mind stepping aside for others.

This wouldn't be my ideal solution to the problem, but I suppose I could accept it if other possible options have been exhausted or simply aren't feasible.

4 minutes ago, (PSN)sister-hawk said:

Oh my god, are they seriously changing this? Based on a few people on the forums who squealed about it? Not to make a mountain out of a molehill but why? Why go screwing with the fashion? That just seems like such a silly decision.

Don't blame the people who squealed about it, blame DE. The people complaining wanted a toggle, so based on fashion choices/lore immersion, you could choose whether her full armor showed during splinter storm or not (after all, Warframe is all about choices, what other games have so many classes and weapons and toggles and etc?). 

Instead, DE said "potential bugs will make it really hard to do a toggle, so screw it, we are just going to change it to what we think is more popular". 

Edit: I want to be clear, I am not trying to be insulting to the developers, they are just people working a job, but I am just saying, you want to blame, put it where it is due. I have not seen a single player asking for it to be changed, they were asking for a choice

Simple fix, why doesn't DE just put a Toggle in our Arsenal under Appearance, not that hard we have one now for toggle prime blah blah, that way the ones who want glass armour to stay can on get it to stay on, the ones who want it the way it was designed can have that too.

Personally I'd like the sound to return when the ability ends, I'm positive it had one before, I don't hear it anymore.

It would also fix the Xaku users who are complaining about the 4th skill skeleton look the armour to stay on the others well me I like it off.

Edit:
Oops just read Tesseract7777 post. SeMz4.gif

2 hours ago, perylousdemon said:

Yes, I'm aware that this horse has been beaten into glue at this point, but please consider reading what I have to say rather than simply dismissing this post as yet another whinefest.

It certainly isn't as there is distinct lack of wine anywhere here, mildly disappointing.

I agree DE could've handled this better (becoming a trend at this point). a toggle would be best for everyone but they assumed it would cause more bugs and went with 'taking candy from one and giving it to another' route

On 2021-05-08 at 6:20 AM, [DE]Momaw said:

News update for all Tenno using Gara!

You have requested many times (many, many, times) to have a UI toggle that will give you control over whether Gara's glass armor parts will "shatter" while using Splinter Storm. You want to use this power all the time, but it makes your warframe look so much less... shiny when you do.

Given how persistent and unified this feedback is, we've decided to simply make this power not remove her armor plates while it is active. Adding a toggle adds significantly more complexity to the code and significantly more chances for things to break than just not having the effect at all.

We hope this change will be appealing to everybody living on the cutting edge of Gara fashion.

Hiyo, thanks for the information update.

Would it be possible (and does it make sense) to change the description of the ability to reflect that it’s no longer her armour that shatters, and instead the shards come from an alternative source?

edit: hah. Reflect. Reflective glass. 🤦‍♀️

Here is the solution for DE:
"Over time Gara has become so good at her abilities, that she only needs to use a very small fraction of her armor to use with the ability. It looks like the armor stays on."

But honestly, when I read about DEs statement, I already knew that some guy would be upset in the forums :D

I am also a bit disappointed. In my opinion, it removes a bit of her uniqueness and the impact the ability has. And I honestly, I don't get why people were so upset in the first place. She only loses her armor when she uses that one ability, any other time she still has it. Completely removing the effect was too much for being purely based on some people's aesthetic preferences and the request of a toggle was the reasonable way to go, in my opinion.

47 minutes ago, Sinekanter said:

I am also a bit disappointed. In my opinion, it removes a bit of her uniqueness and the impact the ability has. And I honestly, I don't get why people were so upset in the first place. She only loses her armor when she uses that one ability, any other time she still has it. Completely removing the effect was too much for being purely based on some people's aesthetic preferences and the request of a toggle was the reasonable way to go, in my opinion.

Some people (myself included) run the ability constantly, as it makes her nigh unkillable even in Steel Path content. It can also reach silly amounts of damage in endless missions if you keep refreshing the duration with her 4 and shattering it from the outside with her 1. All of that aside, people have only started complaining about it in earnest since they released the new skin, when the fact is that she has always been without her armor when using Splinter Storm. NOTHING has changed. So, either poll the community to see what the majority of Gara mains actually want, give us a toggle, or do nothing. Don't make changes based solely on the negative feedback that's been received, no matter how "overwhelming" it seems. As I stated in my original post, those of us who were fine with the armor disappearing had no reason to say anything, but now we certainly do. 😒

I actually don't like the idea of it being removed, it was more logical and made sense to have her armor plates to become part of the ability she uses.

Totally disappointed by this decision as I liked this little detail about her. 

If there is no toggle option, it's best to leave things as they are. 

vor 8 Stunden schrieb perylousdemon:

This wouldn't be my ideal solution to the problem, but I suppose I could accept it if other possible options have been exhausted or simply aren't feasible.

I have no opinion one way or another but given the choice, I'd say go with the people who argue based on what they think looks better and ignore the pedants whose problem is that they think the effect doesn't match the flavor text.

vor 12 Minuten schrieb perylousdemon:

Some people (myself included) run the ability constantly, as it makes her nigh unkillable even in Steel Path content. It can also reach silly amounts of damage in endless missions if you keep refreshing the duration with her 4 and shattering it from the outside with her 1. All of that aside, people have only started complaining about it in earnest since they released the new skin, when the fact is that she has always been without her armor when using Splinter Storm. NOTHING has changed. So, either poll the community to see what the majority of Gara mains actually want, give us a toggle, or do nothing. Don't make changes based solely on the negative feedback that's been received, no matter how "overwhelming" it seems. As I stated in my original post, those of us who were fine with the armor disappearing had no reason to say anything, but now we certainly do. 😒

Thanks for the explanation, I don't use Gara too often (only on my old account). 

I wonder why they didn't just make the deluxe skin (which is the one people were complaining about, am I correct?) static then. I still would miss the effect and prefer a toggle, but at least it would only have been the one thing people were actually complaining about.

And I find it weird, that DE would just give into these request. Back when the wing ephemeras were new, many people also asked for a toggle/removal and DE didn’t care. And didn't it take at least a bit of time and effort to create the armor removal effect? Seems kind of wasteful to just remove it. 

10 hours ago, perylousdemon said:

Gara shatters her glass armor into a storm of razor-sharp fragments that encircle herself." Thus, it makes absolutely no sense that her armor would remain on her body

Don't try to use logic in this game.

The problem isn't the reason, the problem is the visual. Gara's default skin always looks like crap, but the deluxe only looks bad without the glass.

If you want her to shed half her body on every cast, good for you. But we don't like it.

Give us a toggle and everyone's happy.

I'm upset now. I just checked Gara in game and there's no change to splinter storm. Was this just an announcement?

We already have one frame that looks stupid 24/7 during actual gameplay and that's Xaku. I really hate that Gara has to take off her armor since it's the only thing that makes her look decent. Especially with the new skin. Her outfit and body without the armor just looks so bland and meh. I mean, maybe if it was Saryn where we can take off her armor... 

Happy Parks And Rec GIF

Archived