Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Mastery System Stresses Me Out

JollierThanThou

I started playing at the beginning of Update 7. I have every Warframe and most weapons. I'm rank 11 now.

Mastery stresses me the F*** out.

To me, each new weapon isn't a bonus, but an obligation. I'm not playing this event to experiment with the Brakk. I'm playing it out of fear that I will miss out on 3,000 mastery points forever. My viewpoint has become so distorted that every exclusive weapon seems like an invitation to fall further and further down the mastery leaderboard. I started behind the eight ball to the tune of 12,000 points (Braton Vandal, Lato Vandal, Skana Prime, and Lato Prime) and I can't afford to miss any more.

I'm damned lucky to have the Gorgon, Snipetron, and other retired weapons.

I don't have a solution yet. I just wanted to raise this concern: The Mastery system, combined with exclusive weapons, isn't creating the incentives you designed it to create.

I don't understand the concept of not playing in the event to "experiment" with a weapon. Equip it, bring it, rank it!

I haven't used a rank 30 weapon this whole event, I've leveled a few melee, a primary and a secondary. I also ranked up a frame and a half. Yes, I used an unranked frame in this event, and nekros of all frames.

But if you don't participate in the event, wont you miss the chance for the new weapons?

The mastery system is stupid.

I don't like that weapons are xp locked.

I don't like how you have to use different weapons to get mastery. 

Just let me use what I want.

No, this is bad too, then you would have all nee people start the game with Flux Rifles and Acrids, this is a horrible idea.

I don't understand the concept of not playing in the event to "experiment" with a weapon. Equip it, bring it, rank it!

I haven't used a rank 30 weapon this whole event, I've leveled a few melee, a primary and a secondary. I also ranked up a frame and a half. Yes, I used an unranked frame in this event, and nekros of all frames.

But if you don't participate in the event, wont you miss the chance for the new weapons?

Sorry, I wasn't very precise.

DE wants players to see the event as an opportunity to experiment with the Brakk or Detron. But all I see is the risk of falling 3,000 mastery behind other Update 7 Hunter-level founders, forever.

It sounds like you have a completionist addiction to the game. I suggest taking a break, stress is rarely healthy.

Thanks; this is solid advice that has worked for me in the past. I normally would take a break from gaming for a few weeks, but time-sensitive missable stuff is my kryptonite. I actually left town from Friday to Monday, and only obsessed about this stupid event the whole time. I'm hoping for some kind of change to mastery or exclusivity to make missing an event less painful.

I convince myself to not care too much by buying cosmetics and constantly changing colors--and having a 50+ game backlog on Steam. I miss out on something here and there, but I love the game and enjoy playing to play. Occasionally the completionist inside starts to surface again, so I intentionally skip whatever item it is that brought up the discomfort. Keeping myself behind just a bit keeps me from stressing over keeping up, and I find it so much more healthy.

[Just FYI, I've quit many games because of completionist behaviour making me get extremely frustrated and stop having fun with them at all. I had to start blocking myself to tame that crap a while back and keep Warframe fun]

I also have a completionist issue, the issue that I can't for the life of me delete utterly pointless lvl 30 weapons to make space for new ones. Ofc I could buy more slots but that's kinda stupid aswell xD I can't even delete excalibur (got prime) or frost (got prime). I just can't :S

At least I'm not in a rush to keep up or anything thou.

The mastery system is stupid.

I don't like that weapons are xp locked.

I don't like how you have to use different weapons to get mastery. 

Just let me use what I want.

I agree with this.  "Just let us use what we want" should become a new motto in the game.  I don't see how locking weapons behind a wall that requires you to level weapons you don't like to 30 (multiple weapons AND frames in fact) in order to unlock weapons you do want helps anything.

If anything it's just another grind in a long series of grinds in this games that I feel will probably help drive away potential new players rather than draw them in.  Especially once they realize that they've seen everything in the game once they've tried all the mission types a few times and the Void and Derelict missions.  This game has nothing but endless repetition of a few level types and maps.  It only has 3 enemy factions, which feel old to me after a while.  Add grind to that repetition, both of levelling weapons and frames you don't want to play, and farming the void for prime parts with low drop rates from missions you can only run by farming even more for void keys and you have a recipe for boredom that I can see make new players just not care.

I'm not bored enough to quite this game from the repetition yet, but I'm getting there, and if not for this new event I probably would've quit.  Even still, this latest event has not impressed me, and having to grind over 8 hours of extermination missions to get 100 Grineer completions has really burned me out.  I'm very concerned that grind without variety and punishing drop rates (combined with no transparency as to where you get things combined with no streakbreaker to prevent you from playing 50 or 100 missions without getting a critical drop instead of tons of useless duplicate items) is all this game will have to offer.

If so, I don't see myself having a future with it.  This from someone who spent real money on platinum 3 times, and would spend more if this game were less punishing and grindy and more engaging.

Honestly I'm liking the increasing lore depth and variety in things. I also like the mastery system, but not using it to lock weapons. I think we should get a mastery-locked region or the likes, maybe a few. Start creating a set of end-game areas to build up for, y'know?

... But then, we're out of planets, so...

I did this as well, leveled got 3 frames to 30 from <10 and a 4th to mid 20's.  Added two formas to my Lex, a forma to my strwaith, leveled from unranked to 30 the ballistica and almost leveled fangs and Gorgon.

BUT I must say as well the mastery thing is a bit painful.  I have weapons I like and many I don't and really the time spent with the Gorgon of the last couple days highlighted how much I am going to not like feeling like I will be required to play with weapons I don't like just to move up to 7 or 8 or whatever.

I can be very happy leveling all the frames but once I find a few weapons that suit a couple different play styles, it does feel like the game forces you to level up weapons you would normally never use, also feel bad that I didn't know the mechanics when I was new and sold off the MK-1 and Skana and Lato at less than 30.

Then top that off with being judged by your mastery rank.  Well really?  If I have frames and weapons that work at any level, but haven't been arsed to level up the others, how does mastery even mean anything?

Yeah, the problem here is pretty clear... Lato Vandall is not only a new cool skin for the Lato... It's a whole another 3000 Mastery Points... By classifying the Lato with Vandall and Prime, you've made me lvl 3 different Latos for a grand total of 9000 Mastery Points... Instead of just 3000 points for having raised the Latos to max...

And now comes the Wraith Machete. That would be another 3000 Mastery Point we'd miss if we didn't got the Wraith version of it... Even if we ALREADY did lvl a damn Machete already (And that thing sucks!)

I'm now going after all of the Primes, even the ones i'v already leveled, because i want the extra Mastery Point. Hell, Braton have a Mk-1 Braton, Braton, Braton Prime and the unobtainable Braton Vandall! That's 4 different weapons with a total of 12000 Mastery Points.... On Braton alone!

I started playing at the beginning of Update 7. I have every Warframe and most weapons. I'm rank 11 now.

Mastery stresses me the F*** out.

I think thats a problem of yours, not of the game.

I for myself dont want weapon mastery anymore. After the last test I prefer to sit on level 8.

Mastery as it stands now is really counter-intuitive to the concept of choosing your favorite weapons and frame and using forma to make them better. I don't really mind the mastery but I think that if you choose to forma something you should get at least half mastery for ranking it up again. One - you are putting in the time. Two - in theory the more time you spend on a particular platform the more of a "master" you become. I do not understand why you only get mastery for your initial rank up to 30. I have pounded my head into my keyboard multiple times grinding through a weapon that I did not enjoy but felt compelled to play it out regardless for the mastery.  :/ 

This game essentially ( assuming you want to level up your mastery ) forces you to not only try everything, but still rank it up to 30 even if you don't like it. This game forces you to play with weapons you don't like. This is the first time I have seen this concept to this degree in a game. I would love to hear the reasoning behind this system because as a player it sure comes across as punishing.  -_-