Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So is Outriders any good?

nslay

Was watching Bellular News... it's my favorite channel for Blizzard/Stadia schadenfreude! You want to see how bad ActivisionBlizzard is doing? This is the channel. You want to watch Stadia burn to flames? This is the channel.

And I learned about Outriders from him... looks... promising?

Spoiler

Looks medium-ish... But what catches me is that I could just drop $60 and just get the game (like the old days). There's no plat or any stupid stuff like that from what I understand.

So is it worth it? I like me some looters (and through Warframe, looter/shooters).

I've tried the demo and then uninstalled. I've read thousands of people unable to play online due their S#&$ tier servers in the released version. I didn't liked it at all, it's filled with cool ideas and mediocre execution. I honestly think it'll be dead in a  year or 2, same as Anthem.

Played through the demo. It was shinny at first (new car smell) but if you like movement in WF you will most likely not have fun in Outriders. It's a run from cover to cover system and is very much on rails. The artificial invisible boundaries are painful, and the instance gating is real. I did have fun but after walking away from the completed demo and really looking back it's just not for me.  

Coming from WF where grind is king, Outriders is way to much repetition in different clothing.

Give it a shot, you may like it.. just don't expect the moon and stars.

Played the demo until the point where you unlock powers, then uninstalled again. I don't get the hype. Story and characters seem super generic, powers were boring, gunplay was clunky but okay. The controls reminded me a bit of ME3 multiplayer, just worse. Overall nothing I'd spend 70-80 bucks on.

14 hours ago, vanaukas said:

I honestly think it'll be dead in a  year or 2, same as Anthem.

Its not a live service game , it will be surprising if anyone will play it after 4 months just like any other single player focused games .

I've played it  ton since launch.  There were significant server problems to begin with (aren't there always), but these seem to have been fixed.  There is the very occasional crash where it just dumps me back to my xbox home screen which is annoying, but it is rare.  Apart from that, the only other bug I've found is occasionally the way points can get a bit mangled, but again, its rare.

As to the game itself, in my opinion its downright fecking awesome.

Great story and initial quest, good characters, literally tons of loot, gear progression and customisation, defined end game, actual boss fights and very nice well designed levels and areas.

Sure, it doesn't have the movement wf has but if that's the only thing people can say in defence of wf in comparison, then its not much of an argument.

If you have the means, I would highly recommend giving it a go.

Edit - just to answer the op's question, there is no in game currency, there isn't even a store/market where you can buy stuff.   Tbh, it wouldn't surprise me in this day and age if one got added at a later date, but that's a possibility for the future.   Everything you need to level up and craft gear is easily earned in game.  There is honestly a ton of loot to be had.

And just to explain, the crafting process is how you mod/ alter your gear - you don't have to build your weapons or armour, it all comes pre built and ready to use.

4 minutes ago, (XBOX)C11H22O11 said:

I haven't finished it yet but it feels like a one and done game, once I finish the story I don't think I'll touch it again

The main quest gives you access to expeditions, the end game section where you run high level missions and boss fights to earn bigger and better loot.  Up to you if you want to play it or not, but the game doesn't end when the initial campaign does.

Of course, each to their own and everyone should play how, when and what they want.  To me though who has several thousand hours split between warframe and D2, its a breath of fresh air.

Disregarding bugs, disconnection issues and the fact that you have to be online to play singleplayer for a non-live service game, it's a really solid game.

Reminds me of the good days back when games use to be able to just be games without being a scam. They weren't the prettiest, but at least when you bought the game, you got the entire package.

I wouldn't compare Outriders much to Warframe as its looting system is more traditional in that you are expected to throw away loot for better loot unlike Warframe where you unlock something and you keep it (if you have the slots). But the good thing is that the loot actually feels meaningful as you are playing the game and you are regularly engaging with the modding system to allow you to tackle the highest tier comfortably.

I do like the gameplay loop and personally, I'd want to see something somewhat similar in Warframe (no not cover shooter). I just enjoy that you feel very powerful in the game, but you can't mess up or you go down very fast unless you have very particular late game builds. So it balances difficulty and power quite well but certainly not without opening up other shortcomings like the very tacked on healing system.

Game has a lot of problems like cutscenes triggering at weird times or cutting out, leaving you to wonder if you got the full context or not. Also the bloody shaky cam would even make Michael Bay spew. There's issues with some models not loading in properly during certain parts of the story like certain NPCs. Cover system can be hit or miss as you sometimes find the cover has a pull that would make even Mag jealous. But overall it works most the time for me.

Is it worth the price? Ehh... maybe. For me it's nothing but I think for the majority of players, it's a steep cost for an unpolished (but working) game. For others, I think $40 USD would be more reasonable. What it does have going for it is that unlike other looter shooters, it is a complete game out of the package. So you aren't paying for promises as much as you are with say, Destiny or Anthem (*spits). However it is unpolished with a few glaring bugs and the fact that despite advertising itself as a non-live service game, you still require a connection to the server in order to play any part of the game. If PCF can at least make an independent singleplayer mode where progress doesn't carry over into multiplayer (prevent cheaters), then I say it's definitely worth $40. You'll get at least 40 hours from it if not more. I haven't hit endgame yet but I've clocked a little over 30 hours and still on the story. Granted I always play on highest world tier so progression is a bit slower than if you were to play 2+ world tiers below.

I'm enjoying the game and don't regret my purchase at the moment. But I will say that I would recommend people who haven't bought the game yet to either wait a month or two and see if they've made any improvement or fixes or wait for the game to go on sale.

1 hour ago, (XBOX)Hyperion Rexx said:

As to the game itself, in my opinion its downright fecking awesome.

Great story and initial quest, good characters, literally tons of loot, gear progression and customisation, defined end game, actual boss fights and very nice well designed levels and areas.

Agree. Gameplay is awesome. Feels already very balanced. Powerful abilities and still challenging on high difficulty. 

They just have to improve netcode and matchmaking. Fixing a ton of bugs and then hopefully we will see some DLC's

Harrow would fit perfectly into Outriders. And some Outrider mods would make primaries in Warframe pretty interesting. :>

Opinions on this game vary so widely that you really just have to play it for yourself and decide if you like it. Personally, I think it’s a good time. Very flawed but it checks a lot of boxes that other looters don’t.

It also can feel pretty janky and looks like a PS3 game. Definitely not visually impressive. But ultimately I think the gameplay is very fun and the loot grind is very well executed, so it nails the most important aspects of a looter for me.

On 2021-04-06 at 3:30 PM, vanaukas said:

I honestly think it'll be dead in a  year or 2, same as Anthem.

It’s not a live service game so this comment makes no sense.

This game also succeeds at just about everything Anthem failed at doing, so this comment double doesn’t make sense.

Also check the player counts, the game is already a hit.

21 minutes ago, (PSN)Wil_Shatner_face said:

It’s not a live service game so this comment makes no sense.

This game also succeeds at just about everything Anthem failed at doing, so this comment double doesn’t make sense.

People have been calling this "the warframe killer" for some reason, supossedly they expect to be playing this for years, so...

And if we are going to use "player counts" as argument, then check the player counts on wallpaper engine, must be an amazing game according to that logic.

23 minutes ago, (PSN)Wil_Shatner_face said:

I'd just like to point out that Anthem was the best-selling game in the Bioware's history as a studio at the time of its release, so whether Outriders has staying power really can't be determined as of yet.

1 hour ago, vanaukas said:

People have been calling this "the warframe killer" for some reason, supossedly they expect to be playing this for years, so...

And if we are going to use "player counts" as argument, then check the player counts on wallpaper engine, must be an amazing game according to that logic.

Yeah, it’s not the “killer” of anything, but it can be a fun game for some people if you can get past it’s flaws. It’s not going to be for everyone, but it does seem to have amassed a solid player base so far.

1 hour ago, Corvid said:

I'd just like to point out that Anthem was the best-selling game in the Bioware's history as a studio at the time of its release, so whether Outriders has staying power really can't be determined as of yet.

1 hour ago, JackHargreav said:

No. From what I gathered this is just another Anthem. Boring and expensive. It's more bland than a piece of paper.

And this game was supposed to be better than warframe by some players. What a joke.

This game should not be compared to Anthen. Anthem was fundamentally broken at its core. Outriders is a little buggy, but it has fully functioning systems and a well-designed loot game. Literally almost everything that Anthem did wrong, Outriders does right. It has many flaws but being like Anthem is not one of them.

. @JackHargreavyou should try actually playing the game instead of just listening to talking heads. And if you insist on listening to talking heads, at least pick one like Skill Up that knows what they’re talking about.

Is it better than Warframe? Far from it, but you can have a fun 100 or so hours with it. The gameplay is fun. It’s not a live service, it’s a finite experience to play through once or twice if you really like it.

1 hour ago, JackHargreav said:

... and expensive.

I view $60 for a complete package to be pretty darn cheap. Certainly beats games with excessive DLCs and games with microtransactions. I've probably spent more on Warframe... I started with the price of a good game with an expansion (out of the goodness of my heart)... then add Tennocons on top of that (and they generally bundle some plat).

I'm definitely impressed by the trading economy of Warframe (even though I don't partake in it). I think the way looting works in this game is very tame to other looter games. However, I'm NOT impressed by stuff like the Foundry system, slots, etc... And considering I could drop $60 and just not think about these kinds of lame issues is HUGE attraction to me! This is how games used to be and it was great! And apparently this is a big selling point to everyone else! Everyone has acknowledged in the reviews that it is currently mediocre but somehow it remains a hit... probably because it's a complete package.

Game was ok, played closer to Mass Effect 3 from what I can tell.

Equipment system is like Destiny.

Most weapons I used had Lifesteal in it.

You can tell the game wants you to be reckless, with the kill faster to heal that it works into the gameplay.

I played the demo.

Storywise, the characters felt kinda cliche. Leader guy in the beginning was an idiot for sure throwing a tantrum when he didn't get his way.

6 minutes ago, nslay said:

I view $60 for a complete package to be pretty darn cheap. Certainly beats games with excessive DLCs and games with microtransactions. I've probably spent more on Warframe... I started with the price of a good game with an expansion (out of the goodness of my heart)... then add Tennocons on top of that (and they generally bundle some plat).

I'm definitely impressed by the trading economy of Warframe (even though I don't partake in it). I think the way looting works in this game is very tame to other looter games. However, I'm NOT impressed by stuff like the Foundry system, slots, etc... And considering I could drop $60 and just not think about these kinds of lame issues is HUGE attraction to me! This is how games used to be and it was great! And apparently this is a big selling point to everyone else! Everyone has acknowledged in the reviews that it is currently mediocre but somehow it remains a hit... probably because it's a complete package.

This is a big selling point of Outriders. A lot of people in this thread are just not being objective about this game. The combat is fun and the gear game is immediately engaging instead of having to wait until endgame.

Downsides are it looks like a PS3 game, zero mission variety, average gunplay. But you can feel like a badass while being challenged at the same time. If you like looters I say it’s worth $60.

Archived