Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How should Nyx be fixed..?

I have avoided her, for like the longest time, still haven't used her so it's not my place to speak of her and her problems tbh. But her concept alone looks... looks like they took a concept and had no idea what to do with it. Psychic Bolts..? What, I mean I guess.. 

Anyways, what are her main issues?

What causes the issues?

Does Nyx need ability reworks or stat reworks?(I think psychic bolts need to be swapped with something, like a telekinesis character uses bolts as on of their main gimmicks : //)

Lemme hear it, and what are her current "gameplay band aids" ? Because I've avoided her but want her so bad plus her deluxe skins are probs some of the best, I just dont want to be disappointed so I'm saving her for when I need the MR.

4 minutes ago, (XBOX)Apoll0 666 said:

have avoided her, for like the longest time, still haven't used her so it's not my place to speak of her and her problems tbh.

You should probably go use her. You can search around and find out what people think of the frame, you’ll get much more information than here. Nyx is fine, not terrible, but not amazing.

Nyx's problems are as follows:

1: Mind Control is a meme at best, enemy-on-enemy damage is basically nothing the higher up levels go. It also is likely the number one replaced ability via the Helminth system, not gonna say that for sure, but it just seems like the logical choice.

2: Psychic Bolts are severely overhyped because they are a one-button solution to one of the overarching problem of Warframe's enemy balance as it can delete 100% of an enemy's armor, however at most of the usual levels of the game this level of armor/shield strip is pointless overkill on top of already pointless overkill.

3: Chaos is a glorified Radiation proc and only reduces the odds of getting attacked, while other frames can consistently shut down the A.I. completely instead. Even Oberon's Hallowed Ground can deliver a similar effect AND provide aid for a party, while Chaos just makes already dumb A.I. even dumber.

4: Absorb is basically either a mediocre damage ability or one of the most unga-bunga tier "I'm invincible" abilities in the game, which again only exists to counteract the insane imbalance of how enemy-on-player damage scales.

Basically everything she's good at is either done better by some other frames, or only is applauded because it cuts the knot that is Warframe's imbalance.

Why bother controlling enemies, stripping their defenses, making them fight each other, and absorb incoming damage when all enemies within a wide range of your teammates are dead in 1 second, their defenses don't matter either due to overwhelming player damage or straight up defense bypass, and the player is already functionally invincible?

There's nothing wrong with Nyx, she just ended up in the wrong game.

Step 1: Give both Nyx and Nyx Prime 25 more energy, for QoL on a frame that frequently casts.

Step 2: Make Assimilate base kit, because Absorb is really bad without it (new augment needed obviously. Maybe something to heal Nyx).

Step 3: Rework Mind Control. You could do a number of things. You could give it infinite duration, or make the controlled target a higher threat target, or increase the number of enemies controlled (hold cast to kill thralls with that). Personally, I'd just have the damage the enemy deals ramp us significantly (and I mean very significant, maybe even 100% armor penetration on enemy attacks too if the damage still isn't enough) for every second it's under your control. I'd also probably replace Mind Freak with an augment similar to Phoenix Renewal and Savior Decoy, allowing a mind controlled enemy to die in place of an ally, with a cooldown.

46 minutes ago, Aldain said:

It also is likely the number one replaced ability via the Helminth system, not gonna say that for sure, but it just seems like the logical choice.

I'm not sure if the stats have changed, but Ballistic Battery was the most replaced for a long time, followed by Devour, because both Inaros and Mesa are pretty popular. Nobody cares to invest time into Nyx :(

What i normally do with her is use her cc and armor stripping abilities with a strong weapon to melt enemies.  She could use a rework. Or more specifically her abilities should synergize better.

If i could change her however this is what i would do.

Passive - for each enemy effected by her chaos she gets a buff.

Mind control ability.  Still control a foe but it buffs them. Mod buff they pulse aoe damage.

Phycic bolts. Let it strip armor and do damage and bounce from enemies further stripping armor and doing damage.

Mod buff. Enemies hit by bolts pulse aoe damage and are mind controled for a short time.

SYNERGIZE with other abilities. If an enemy is affected by chaos that is hit with a bolt nyx gets healed and mind controled foes get buffed.

Chaos- keep the cc as is but with new passive nyx gets buffs and synergyy from above makes it better.

Mod - enemies effected by chaos upon death create a reality fracture that does massive damage to foes.

Ultimate - current one is trash throw it out for a new ability.  Enemies around nyx have a mental collapse. Becoming miniature black holes that pulse aoe damage. 

Mod - enemies killed by the ultimate spawn wraiths to fight for nyx for a time.

Synergize. Enemies that are affected by nyxes other abilities also die and do aoe damage upon ult use. Wraiths spawned are empowered.

Im just spit balling here. Probably to strong but you get my point.

7 minutes ago, (XBOX)Regxxh said:

I'm not sure if the stats have changed, but Ballistic Battery was the most replaced for a long time, followed by Devour, because both Inaros and Mesa are pretty popular. Nobody cares to invest time into Nyx :(

I should have clarified that I meant "Most replaced on Nyx specifically" when I said that, my bad.

9 minutes ago, (XBOX)Regxxh said:

Step 1: Give both Nyx and Nyx Prime 25 more energy, for QoL on a frame that frequently casts.

Step 2: Make Assimilate base kit, because Absorb is really bad without it (new augment needed obviously. Maybe something to heal Nyx).

Step 3: Rework Mind Control. You could do a number of things. You could give it infinite duration, or make the controlled target a higher threat target, or increase the number of enemies controlled (hold cast to kill thralls with that). Personally, I'd just have the damage the enemy deals ramp us significantly (and I mean very significant, maybe even 100% armor penetration on enemy attacks too if the damage still isn't enough) for every second it's under your control. I'd also probably replace Mind Freak with an augment similar to Phoenix Renewal and Savior Decoy, allowing a mind controlled enemy to die in place of an ally, with a cooldown.

3 minutes ago, (PSN)Kakurine2 said:

What i normally do with her is use her cc and armor stripping abilities with a strong weapon to melt enemies.  She could use a rework. Or more specifically her abilities should synergize better.

If i could vhange her however this is what i would do.

Passive - for each enemy effected by her chaos she gets a buff.

Mind control ability.  Still control a foe but it buffs them. Mod buff they pulse aoe damage.

Phycic bolts. Let it strip armor and do damage and bounce from enemies further stripping armor and doing damage.

Mod buff. Enemies hit by bolts are debuffed and are mind controled for a short time.

SYNERGIZE with other sbilities. If an enemy is affected by chaos that is hit with a bolt nyx gets healed and mind controled foes get buffed.

Chaos- keep the cc as is but with new passive nyx gets buffs and synergyy fromvabove nakes it better.

Mod - enemies effected by chaos upon death create a reality fracture that does massive damage to foes.

Ultimate - current one is S#&$ throw it out for a new ability.  Enemies around nyx have a mental collapse. Becoming miniature black holes that pulse aoe damage. 

Mod - enemies killed by the ultimate spawn wraiths to fight for nyx for a time.

Synergize. Enemies that are affected by nyxes other abilities also die and do aoe damage upon ult use. Wraiths spawned are empowered.

Im just spit balling here. Probably to strong but you get my point.

Reb has publicly said that Nyx's governing theme bans any ability rework or implementation in which the ability deals direct damage.

1 hour ago, (XBOX)Apoll0 666 said:

I have avoided her, for like the longest time, still haven't used her so it's not my place to speak of her and her problems tbh. But her concept alone looks... looks like they took a concept and had no idea what to do with it. Psychic Bolts..? What, I mean I guess.. 

Agreed. Nyx is meant to be our psychic frame, and she seriously underdelivers on that fantasy.

Anyways, what are her main issues?

• She only really does one thing, which is turn enemies against one another.
  • Many frames whose main contribution isn't even crowd control have better crowd control than she does, e.g. Nidus.
  • Her only other strength (survivability) is either incredibly unreliable (i.e. her passive) or requires her to essentially cripple herself (i.e. her 4, with or without its augment) while draining massive amounts of Energy, all to achieve what other frames can do without much trouble.
  • Her kit in general is clunky, gimmicky, limited, and full of redundancy, and anyone playing her can feel her age despite her rework.

What causes the issues?

• Turning enemies against one another is generally not great, because enemy AI is terrible and enemy damage scales terribly against enemy EHP. Chaos, despite being Nyx's main attraction, is unreliable because affected enemies can still attack Nyx and her allies.
  • Mind Control and Chaos are two abilities that essentially do the same thing, i.e. turn enemies to Nyx's side.
  • Psychic Bolts has no reason to have a target limit while plenty of other frames can casually strip masses of enemies of armor and shields, particularly when that's generally the only thing the ability does.
  • Absorb forces Nyx to stand still and has this really antiquated bonus Energy drain that also, for whichever reason, also happens with ally damage, allowing teammates to troll her (usually accidentally) by dropping her to 0 Energy in a flash. Assimilate is an essential augment, yet still makes her painfully slow.

Does Nyx need ability reworks or stat reworks?(I think psychic bolts need to be swapped with something, like a telekinesis character uses bolts as on of their main gimmicks : //)

Yes, I personally believe Nyx is in need of a comprehensive kit rework. Pretty much all of her abilities are severely flawed in one way or another, and even Chaos is outdone by Loki's Irradiating Disarm augment... and Irradiating Disarm isn't even that popular. Here would be my take on how to change her:

• Passive: Nyx stuns enemies while they remain near her aiming reticle.
  • 1 - Mind Control: Nyx reduces her maximum health and shields to turn an enemy to her side. The enemy gains perfect accuracy, forgoes defensive tactics, and deals bonus damage scaling with enemy level and Power Strength. Mind Controlled enemies prioritize targets stunned by Nyx's passive. The ability costs no Energy, and holding it releases mind controlled enemies from Nyx's grasp, restoring her reduced health and shields.
    • Augment - Mind Meld: When Nyx takes fatal damage, her weakest Mind Controlled minion dies instead, making her invulnerable for a short duration.
  • 2 - Telekinesis: Nyx pulls the target enemy and holds them in front of her, draining Energy continuously while they are held. While held, the enemy is stunned and intercepts incoming attacks, taunting enemies in view to attack it. Casting the ability again throws the enemy towards the target point, causing them to damage themselves and nearby enemies for a portion of its maximum health and shields, plus the damage they absorbed, the latter of which scales with enemy level and Power Strength.
    • Augment - Telekinetic Pacification: Enemies in the impact zone are confused for a duration.
  • 3 - Chaos: Nyx marks the target enemy for a duration, causing it to emit an aura that reduces its maximum armor and shields as well as that of other nearby enemies, while causing affected enemies to attack the target. The armor and shield reduction aura persists even after the target dies.
    • Augment - Spreading Chaos: If the original target dies, all affected enemies become targets of Chaos for its remaining duration, spreading to further enemies until the ability ends.
  • 4 - Absorb: Nyx activates a telekinetic field around herself that absorbs all nearby enemy attacks for a short duration, releasing the absorbed damage in a radial explosion whose damage scales with affected enemies' level, as well as Power Strength. For a short duration afterwards, the ability's Energy cost is doubled, stacking infinitely.
    • Augment - Assimilate: Chaos no longer inflicts an explosion, but instead generates an aura during its post-invulnerability duration that deals a portion of the explosion damage each second.

Effectively, play on the telekinetic aspect of her psychic powers in addition to the telepathic aspect, allow her to deal damage based on her opponents' threat in addition to applying crowd control, and make her generally smoother to play.

Lemme hear it, and what are her current "gameplay band aids" ? Because I've avoided her but want her so bad plus her deluxe skins are probs some of the best, I just dont want to be disappointed so I'm saving her for when I need the MR.

If you want to make the most of Nyx in her current state, the main thing you need is her Assimilate augment: this is what single-handedly lets her survive in high-level missions, not just because it lets her move, but also because it prevents allies from draining her Energy if they shoot at her (why this interaction wasn't removed on the base ability is beyond me). Once you have that and some Range+Duration mods, you should be all set.

Bake in the functionality of Assimilate and Chaos Sphere, and let Mind Control scale with actual applied damage including elemental damage and damage from abilities. She really doesn't need much, CC frames as a whole lack a purpose with the current DPS meta.

7 minutes ago, Jarriaga said:

Reb has publicly said that Nyx's governing theme bans any ability rework or implementation in which the ability deals direct damage.

I didn't ask for direct damage, I asked for the mind controlled target to be able to deal reasonable damage to their allies, maybe a scaling damage bonus and armor penetration on their attacks, but nothing to deal direct damage. That seems to fit with the purpose of Mind Control just fine.

3 minutes ago, (XBOX)Regxxh said:

I didn't ask for direct damage, I asked for the mind controlled target to be able to deal reasonable damage to their allies, maybe a scaling damage bonus and armor penetration on their attacks, but nothing to deal direct damage. That seems to fit with the purpose of Mind Control just fine.

He's referring to my spit balled suggestions of how i would rework her.

Cc is just not really viable her kit is just not very good. I think she needs a real change to be a top tier frame.

I enjoy her on occasion as is though.

I agree with the others who suggest that you just go play her.  I know you've been on the forums long enough to figure out that there's no objective truth to be found here.

For what it's worth, I think Nyx is okay.  Psychic Bolts lets you entirely remove armor and shields from enemies, which is incredibly powerful.  That alone makes her quite effective, though she's certainly a glass cannon who relies on weapons to do damage after defenses are stripped.

The rest of her abilities have their niches, but are just lackluster compared to alternatives that serve the same purpose.  Mind Control is CC for a single enemy.  Chaos is CC over a wide area, but it's a kind of CC that doesn't guarantee you won't get shot by those affected.

Assimilate is more complex.  It's a channeled damage shield that consumes energy-per-damage while keeping you stationary.  There are things you can do with Assimilate, usually in regards to combos or specific strategies.  Takes too much effort to do too little, in my opinion.

You can also use her Assimilate Augment to make it so you can move slowly while Assimilating, but even then I feel like Assimilate doesn't offer enough defense to be worth it.  I find that I can't sustain the energy required to be in this mode when there are threatening enemies around, because it just costs too much, and because it's channeled may of the energy-regain mechanics don't work with it.

So all of that being said, for my money, Nyx is a very powerful offensive Warframe because she can remove enemy defenses, but the trade-off is that you have to be constantly on your toes because she can't endure much punishment.  It's more than a fair trade if that's a play style you're willing to engage with.  But if you're used to frames like Rhino and Revenant who just kind of don't care that they're being shot at, Nyx can be a tough sell because she cares quite a lot.

I just swap her 1 with Mag's Pull with Helminth.

Attach Assimilate mod.

Keep power strength to as close to under 125% as I can. Closest I can effectively get to was 124.5%

Psychic Bolts removes armor, but if you remove ALL armor you don't get the damage bonus for Corrosive etc.

Due to DE buffing Umbra Intensify, I had to move up to a rank 8 Umbra Intensify combined with a weaker Overextended.

Yeah, I use a full Umbra set on mine.

Wonderful Shocktrooper she turned into.

I think Nyx has one thing she does better than any other frame. Keeping masses of nullifiers away from excavators at high levels in corpus excavation.

Chaos has an absurd range and with the augment, it hangs around, isn't popped on contact, is renewed on an enemy the moment they leave a nullifier, and indirectly affects everyone else because they attack their confused allies.

That said, it's a tiny tiny niche and her kit is a mess. 

Currently doing my umbral nyx, I'm considering using chaos sphere but I like absorb as it is I don't like assimiliate at all. Put on her shooting gallery and mobs are all the time confused or unable to shot me, leveling up on  SP Mot to test her harder and make a proper buiold. I've used to play the regular nyx long a go but almost never used her prime and I'm liking her a lot, I wish I could make her sentient as Umbra so I have a reason to play her more, but I an say that for almost every frame...

I love my Nyx.  Adaptation+Redirection+Arcane barrier.  Condemn on her 1.

The only thing that needs fixed is her 4.  First of all it shouldnt drain energy absorbing damage.   There should be no damage cap on it.  It should be a simple drain/ efficiencu+time like other on/off abilities. The explosion needs to be 20m by default.

Aka her 4 should soak damage faster w/ no cap and explode in a huge aoe that ignores walls.

Also i think her chaos should make enemies only target enemies.  I dont like defense targets still taking shots from enemies.

My build has to sacrifice range to give her survival and a crappy nuke that cant kill fairly early on.  Her 4 is no ultimate.  Sometimes I feel like i should just be max range w/ as much duration as possible just for her 3.  Screw her 1 2 and 4...     I'd rather see her 4 be awesome tho.  Her 2 is great if u have any strength.

Nyx's main strength is she has infinite scaling.  Moat of her abilities affect level 1 enemies just as equally as level 9999 enemies, which is neat.  

Otherwise, she is niche. Like her confuse soft counters nullifiers and Mind Control ensures allies won't kill utility enemies you grab.  But other frames have better general purpose while stepping on her toes.  Like Oberon basically has Chaos Sphere plus extras, but nullifiers wipe Hallowed Ground where they don't touch Choas Sphere.

Nyx also needs like half her augnents integrated directly into her kit.

She's neat and highly playable and can be used in most content, but she's more niche than most frames and definitely needs some touch up.

Mind control would be a better ability if individual enemy units actually mattered like in a lot of trading card games.

Nyx is just an outdated frame back when Warframe was a lot slower with stamina, lower enemy counts and etc. 

Armor strip is the default rework ability DE gives to frames they don't know what to do with because they know armor scaling is busted, but also know its the only thing to withstand the busted power creep.

Archived