Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why do warframes have auras, meelees have stances but guns dont have anything?

(PSN)Moopy_Poopy

I mean im not saying it'd be a good ideia. Nor am i saying it would be a bad one. I just have absolutely no ideia why. Can someone enlighten me?

Like for if you put a stance on the Hema for example that made it charge instead of burst, and also giving it an extra benefit and downside, while also expanding the mod capacity. Would that be bad or hard to code? Im mr 8 so i dont really understand the balancing of the endgame content but i was still curious. 

A very generic example would be like:

Polarity: Madurai.

Fits in: Burst rifles.

Name: Thunder Bullets

Effects: The weapon now charges to attack, increases damage by 10% and deals 30% shock damage. -15% reload speed.

Do you think the negative effect is necessary or am i just exagerating? Or is this just a bad ideia in the first place?

Different gun functions are tied to the gun itself...

Melee stances makes sense because "new" melee weapons are often not new, because DE isn't going to release a new set of melee animations anytime there's a new melee. Look at how infrequent new stances are added to the game, compared to new Warframes or ranged weapons.

Auras also aren't exclusively beneficial to Warframes themselves beyond the capacity increase.

Guns don't need a stance, just use a different gun that fills the function you want.

11 hours ago, (PSN)Moopy_Poopy said:

Like for if you put a stance on the Hema for example that made it charge instead of burst, and also giving it an extra benefit and downside, while also expanding the mod capacity. Would that be bad or hard to code? Im mr 8 so i dont really understand the balancing of the endgame content but i was still curious. 

As for code itself it would probably be easy. There might be some visual bug there and there but probably nothing serious.

11 hours ago, (PSN)Moopy_Poopy said:

Do you think the negative effect is necessary or am i just exagerating? Or is this just a bad ideia in the first place?

Negative effects can be beneficial for certain gameplay.

For example you can make smaller magazine that deals more damage.

8 hours ago, Yamazuki said:

Auras also aren't exclusively beneficial to Warframes themselves beyond the capacity increase.

Only 3 auras have detrimental (in most cases) effect on a player. Most auras gives something (even it's just small amount).

8 hours ago, Yamazuki said:

Guns don't need a stance, just use a different gun that fills the function you want.

"Gun stance" can be more than different gun type or some gun type don't have certain features.

18 hours ago, (PSN)Moopy_Poopy said:

I mean im not saying it'd be a good ideia. Nor am i saying it would be a bad one. I just have absolutely no ideia why. Can someone enlighten me?

Warframes have auras because the intent was to give every warframe the ability to contribute at least to some minimum degree to their team, no matter how the player plays. This is also why our Railjack plexus has an aura slot. Melee weapons have stances because stances are what give a melee weapon its moveset. Guns do not have stances because guns typically have only one move, which is to shoot.

18 hours ago, (PSN)Moopy_Poopy said:

A very generic example would be like:

Polarity: Madurai.

Fits in: Burst rifles.

Name: Thunder Bullets

Effects: The weapon now charges to attack, increases damage by 10% and deals 30% shock damage. -15% reload speed.

What you are proposing sounds more like an augment, or just a regular mod, than a stance. I also would be wary of adding that kind of mod to the game, because if the mod is good enough to become meta, it risks making every gun of the same type play the same. Melee stances already create a similar problem, in that if one stance for a melee weapon class is better than the rest, that stance ends up being the only one that gets picked, and every melee weapon in that class ends up playing the same.

18 minutes ago, Teridax68 said:

Guns do not have stances because guns typically have only one move, which is to shoot.

First the way you shoot can be different. It can be semi-automatic or automatic. If we go into fantasy or sci-fi genre then we can go even deeper.

Secondly, there exists things like gun-kata which allows you to do different actions, not even with your gun. In real world it's not flashy but in a fiction... why not.

One thing that stops developers from making such changes is genre of game & how "interesting"  they want their combat.

4 minutes ago, quxier said:

First the way you shoot can be different. It can be semi-automatic or automatic. If we go into fantasy or sci-fi genre then we can go even deeper.

Whether the gun is auto or semi-auto doesn't matter, at the end of the day, you press one button to shoot the gun, and the gun only shoots one way or the other. Some guns have alt fires, but that's about as far as it gets.

Secondly, there exists things like gun-kata which allows you to do different actions, not even with your gun. In real world it's not flashy but in a fiction... why not.

How do you propose to implement this? What are the moves involved?

One thing that stops developers from making such changes is genre of game & how "interesting"  they want their combat.

Change needs some reason behind it to work though, and change purely for change's sake rarely ever leads to anything good or useful. I don't think wanting more mod capacity on our guns is really a good enough reason to rework our gunplay from the ground up.

23 minutes ago, Teridax68 said:

How do you propose to implement this? What are the moves involved?

24 minutes ago, Teridax68 said:

Change needs some reason behind it to work though, and change purely for change's sake rarely ever leads to anything good or useful. I don't think wanting more mod capacity on our guns is really a good enough reason to rework our gunplay from the ground up.

I don't suggest to implement it because it would require a lot of changes. I meant that there are ways to make gunplay more interesting if creators want it.

1 minute ago, quxier said:

I don't suggest to implement it because it would require a lot of changes. I meant that there are ways to make gunplay more interesting if creators want it.

Okay, but more interesting how? Is there a need to make Warframe's gunplay "more interesting" in a manner that would involve involve giving every gun so many different moves that they'd start to need stances?

58 minutes ago, Teridax68 said:

Okay, but more interesting how? Is there a need to make Warframe's gunplay "more interesting" in a manner that would involve involve giving every gun so many different moves that they'd start to need stances?

I would like some gun-kata but I mean simple aura-like mods.

Those mods would change some aspects of a gun. For example bullets bounce off walls, deferred damage - damage is dealt at reload with increased damage per enemy.

10 minutes ago, quxier said:

I would like some gun-kata but I mean simple aura-like mods.

Those mods would change some aspects of a gun. For example bullets bounce off walls, deferred damage - damage is dealt at reload with increased damage per enemy.

Okay, but therein lies the problem: those simple mods aren't auras, they're just mods. At that point you're just asking for regular mods that give mod capacity instead of draining it.

Sounds great, but I wouldn't call it "Auras" but something else, as I imagine that as tampering with the weapons guts to change its functionality. I wouldn't make that weapon aura effects are shared to everyone, but give an effect that is only for your weapon.

This would also potentially make them stronger and more competitive without nerfing melee to oblivion.

19 hours ago, quxier said:

Only 3 auras have detrimental (in most cases) effect on a player. Most auras gives something (even it's just small amount).

Not all auras do something for Warframes, whether positive or negative. Some of them are exclusive benefits for weapons, or are neutral [CP].

19 hours ago, quxier said:

"Gun stance" can be more than different gun type or some gun type don't have certain features.

Not all melees have the same features as each other. The point in weapons being different... is so they're different.

Melees have stances to save on dev time, going back and creating gun stances to change how all guns function is the complete opposite of that. It also makes no sense to ask DE lazily design ranged weapons the same way they do for melee... The Cernos line of bows for example, each do something different for the most part. All melees of a given type all function exactly the same other than stat changes entirely due to the stance system.

The op is just asking to use less formas on ranged weapons, that's really all they want, and they may as well have just asked for that.

On 2021-04-10 at 8:14 PM, Teridax68 said:

Heres an ideia (again idk if its a good one) It adds a secondary fire, and for the weapons that already have secondary forms of fire you can cycle through them, and its stats are based on the stance and the main weapon. (This would probably be broken tho)

Archived