Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Which frames choice?

Sephiroth87zx

Question

Hi i need some help to decide which frame using.

I'm always been a terrible indecisive person and have so much different type of frames to choice don't help.

I tried to read around to understand which are the best frames, but even in this way there are too much choice for me.

I play this game with a friend and not really interested in play public, so we want to divide the "necessary" frames between us.

Not really interested in prime frames for now, we only need 2-3 frames to use on them orokin reactor and be able to deal more easy with enemies lvl 60+

Basically we want one frame for defence, one for dps and one support/healer if needed, otherwise we are not sure about frames with invisibility skill for spy mission.

We are doing spy on Oceanum without big problem and get the max points stealth, if i understand how this mission work, so maybe we not really need a invisible frame.

Actually we completed around 7-8 frames, but we only get interest in Gara, seems to work both for dps and defence.

I like Frost, but not sure if is better a double Gara or a Frost and a Gara.

Sorry to be so long, hope someone can help, every time i see a frame and read the description i nearly always find some particularity of it i like and want to try it, but for now the slots are too low.

A curiosity, this site is trustable for the tier list, maybe in this way i can narrow a bit the list of choice even for weapons(Another really big problem of decision)

https://overframe.gg/

15 answers to this question

19 minutes ago, Sephiroth87zx said:

"necessary" frames

Good news, there aren't any. Once you get your mods squared away you can run literally anything for most of the game. Probably beyond 60 if your build is good.

Gara and Frost both excel in Defense. Gara hard stops enemies from reaching the target, but Frost offers 360 degree bubbles to protect from incoming fire.

I can't recommend Oberon for multi-role now that they've bumped him out into Railjack, but he's great for it. Sayrn and Mesa are meta dps,

I may not be the "best" at this, but I have run 60+ with: Wukong, Atlas, Valkyr, Frost, Inaros, Mesa, Sayrn, Limbo, Loki, Oberon, and the list keeps going. Learn a frame, figure out the build that works, and you're set.

15 minutes ago, TheSixOfDiamonds said:

Good news, there aren't any. Once you get your mods squared away you can run literally anything for most of the game. Probably beyond 60 if your build is good.

Gara and Frost both excel in Defense. Gara hard stops enemies from reaching the target, but Frost offers 360 degree bubbles to protect from incoming fire.

I can't recommend Oberon for multi-role now that they've bumped him out into Railjack, but he's great for it. Sayrn and Mesa are meta dps,

I may not be the "best" at this, but I have run 60+ with: Wukong, Atlas, Valkyr, Frost, Inaros, Mesa, Sayrn, Limbo, Loki, Oberon, and the list keeps going. Learn a frame, figure out the build that works, and you're set.

Yes i readed there aren't necessary frames, but the problem is there are limited space and i can't take decision, personally i find various frames have something funny to use but with limited slots is a pain for me take decision.

So i prefer to have the best or more adapt frame for specific roles, so one defender, one dps and one support/healer or spy.

I already have oberon, so he can fill the support/healer role?

You think is better a double Gara(my friend don't like frost) or is better Gara and Frost?

Thanks for the list i will try this frames.

At one point you both will have all warframes and with a potato. Just don't feel rushed to get all of them.

As for recommendations, I usually say "the one you're interested the most" because you can exel way more than you think with all of them with the right build (as @TheSixOfDiamondssuggested).

It all depends on your playstyle. If you find yourself sticking to Gara, then you should probubly keep at it and master Gara. If you're at the point of fighting rank 60+ as you said, then she's also worth your potato. Note that in about three Prime Access rounds, she should be primed. It's about half a year from now.
There aren't many warframes with similar playsttyle to Gara. Gara is a very unique defensive warframe: her defensive capabilities are more personal and what she got for area defense is also good. Her damage output can stack, it starts low but have infinit potential (you can kill ranks 300+ by touching them if you stack Splinter Storm right). Frost might be the closest in terms of defense while Equinox the closest in terms of damage output, and none of them are nothing alike.

What you asked for is for three warframe with spesific roles for defense, offence and support.
For defense I already mentioned Gara, but mainly for you already like playing Gara. Might as well master her.
For offense (and spy) I will go less mainstream and recommend Ivara. She doesn't have the offensive capabilities of Mesa and Saryn, but she can still pack a punch and have the advantage of the only warframe who can go invisible and doesn't have a timer for it.
For support you can go classic and pick Trinity, the OG support. Another one I recommend is Nekros as Desecrate both give loot and increase the chance of dropping health orbs.

12 minutes ago, Sephiroth87zx said:

I already have oberon, so he can fill the support/healer role?

Yes, especially with Phoenix Renewal or one of his other augments

13 minutes ago, Sephiroth87zx said:

You think is better a double Gara(my friend don't like frost) or is better Gara and Frost?

Depends. If you have one small ring and one large ring most enemies will never reach your Defense target, and if they do you can cast Splinter Storm on the objective, too. I'd run Frost for the aerial coverage to complement Gara (but Frost is also one of my top 5 fav frames)

2 hours ago, FrostedMike said:

At one point you both will have all warframes and with a potato. Just don't feel rushed to get all of them.

As for recommendations, I usually say "the one you're interested the most" because you can exel way more than you think with all of them with the right build (as @TheSixOfDiamondssuggested).

It all depends on your playstyle. If you find yourself sticking to Gara, then you should probubly keep at it and master Gara. If you're at the point of fighting rank 60+ as you said, then she's also worth your potato. Note that in about three Prime Access rounds, she should be primed. It's about half a year from now.
There aren't many warframes with similar playsttyle to Gara. Gara is a very unique defensive warframe: her defensive capabilities are more personal and what she got for area defense is also good. Her damage output can stack, it starts low but have infinit potential (you can kill ranks 300+ by touching them if you stack Splinter Storm right). Frost might be the closest in terms of defense while Equinox the closest in terms of damage output, and none of them are nothing alike.

What you asked for is for three warframe with spesific roles for defense, offence and support.
For defense I already mentioned Gara, but mainly for you already like playing Gara. Might as well master her.
For offense (and spy) I will go less mainstream and recommend Ivara. She doesn't have the offensive capabilities of Mesa and Saryn, but she can still pack a punch and have the advantage of the only warframe who can go invisible and doesn't have a timer for it.
For support you can go classic and pick Trinity, the OG support. Another one I recommend is Nekros as Desecrate both give loot and increase the chance of dropping health orbs.

Gara would be next as they Prime two guys then two girls. Octavia, Nidus, Harrow and Gara were together sooo figure it out. Last two were Nezha and before him was Inaros two boys. Titania and Ivara were the last two girls out. DE might change but current trend following Gara will be next Prime then Nidus then Harrow rounding out the year. 

Gara is a great frame, it depends on how you are playing her cause she is both defense and very offensive when you play touch of death with her. But touch of death is very energy hungry.

Offense, Wukong solid all a rounder, easy to mod and a solid tank. Valkyr another good tank. I would recommend Ivara but she is hard to get and a glass cannon but she is good.

Defense, Frost is decent but he is a bit old and has some health issues but if you get the mod equalibreium it helps him allot. On that note Excalibur and Nezha both are helped by equalibreium. Speaking of Nezha, he is a good offense/defense frame, mod him for speed and use firewalker and watch things burn. 

Equalibreium is a great mod for some frames with health issues cause what it does is supply a percentage of health from energy orbs and energy from health orbs.

Support, depends on what you mean. Rhino is a good support tank. But pure support? Trinity the queen of the battlefield. She is hard to get now, Wisp is another good support that you get from the ropalolyst fight, worth it. Protea, another good all a rounder that is a defense/support frame. But she is harder to get than Trinity, Protea is worth buying with plat.

Excalibur, Frost, Rhino, are all early frames and easy to get and do work, they have minor problems but can be worked around with equalibreium.

Wukong is a very popular frame cause he has the full package, built in companion, fast travel with a nice heal, a decent ohh crap in defy and exalted weapon with a small cc and nice damage. 

Farm the prime frames of Wukong, valkyr, Ivara, you might get some parts of mesa, trinity cause they are vaulted but you see them every now and then. 

My top frames are Wukong, Ivara, Protea, Valkyr, Mesa, Wisp, Nezha and Oberon. A bit of tanks, supports and one stealth frame and the aim not. 

As others have said, over time you will probably accumulate all of the frames, because Nightwave challenges give you free slots for more Warframes and weapons.  But you need something for the short-term, so here are my recommendations:

Protea - She really has it all.  Her 1st ability can either create large areas of shrapnel that will periodically stagger enemies, or it can give her whole team full overshields for defending them.  Her 2nd ability can kill pretty much any enemy.  Her 3rd ability keeps your team juiced up on energy, health, and ammo.  Protea doesn't excel quite as much in any role as the top contenders I'm going to list below, but so effective at everything that I would

If you need to defend an NPC or a console, I would recommend Frost or Gara.  Both of them have an ability that can create a powerful barrier.  Generally I would say that Gara's ability to do this is better (and she's a more powerful frame overall), but Gara's barrier doesn't defend from the top, which may be an issue at times, while Frost's is a sphere that defends from all angles.  However, if you want to defend an target that is walking around, they may not stay in your barrier.  In this case Limbo is a good choice, as he can put them in the Rift where enemies can't hurt them.  Limbo can also completely freeze all of the enemies in an area, so he's a good general alternative to Frost and Gara, but it's not quite the same as a shield.  The reason I didn't suggest Limbo overall for defense is because when his freezing ability doesn't 100% work with Sentient enemies, otherwise he would be at the top of the list.

For stealth, Ivara.  Just Ivara.  She can do it all, and she does it better than the rest.  The only downside is that she can't run while invisible, but she more than makes up for it by having the most thorough and versatile set of tools for any stealth mission.

If you want a frame that specializes in murdering a bunch of enemies, I would recommend either Ember or Saryn.  They both can use their abilities to wipe rooms quickly.  Ember only goes after what she's facing and the results tend to be immediate, while Saryn is a bit more technical, but can kill over a wider area.  Generally Saryn will kill more enemies faster than Ember, but each individual death will not be as fast, so Saryn has to worry more about surviving the enemies in front of her (though not much).  Mesa is a good alternative, as she specializes in killing single targets, but can also kill so fast that she can kill multiple targets easily as well.  She's as good at killing multiple enemies as Ember and Saryn, but you do have to aim her in the appropriate direction and she requires line-of-sight to kill, while Ember and Saryn can kill enemies they can't see.  Another alternative is Octavia.  Octavia is one of the ultimate frames when it comes to murder.  No matter what the levels of the enemy, Octavia will kill them.  However, she does kill more slowly than the previously mentioned frames...that is, until the enemies get so strong that they have trouble killing enemies quickly.  And that's when Octavia shines, because she can kill level 9999 enemies just as effectively as level 60 enemies.  (Note: Octavia can also do stealth missions and has very good crowd control, so she's a solid all-around pick similar to Protea if you'd like one Warframe that can fill multiple roles)

If you want a healer, Trinity is simply the best at it.  She can keep the whole team full on energy and health while also mitigating damage to the team.  She's also one of the best tanks in the game, if you need a Warframe to just soak up enemy attacks.

Hope this helps!  Have fun!

Nezha is a good all rounder, pretty tanky , you can mod him for support being able to put his halo on allies, already can debuff and CC though he might not top the damage meters.

his 2 can teleport you past barriers so might be useful on some of the more annoying spy missions.

as for stealth I know you said it wasnt needed but you could get the one of the kubrow capable of getting steath, it just never runs out while enemies are near by if you don't attack

Thanks to all.

For now i will go for Gara for defence, mostly because frost is more easy to get again in case.

The support for now i think i will wait, Trinity seems better, not hard the boss fight, but really boring get the item to do the fight.

I'm not sure between Nezha and Ember, Nezha seems have more "variety".

Until i not have more slot i think i will wait for stealth frames, i'm doing a spy on oceanum and i not really needed.

I will keep in any case Oberon, i read can be useful against eidolon boss for magnetic immunity.

Little question, Volt worth anything to keep it if i take Nezha or Ember?

I'm always been a terrible indecisive person and have so much different type of frames to choice don't help. you'll be happy to hear that you can make almost no mistake in warframe. almost nothing is permanent, so being indecisive is not punished in this game

I tried to read around to understand which are the best frames, but even in this way there are too much choice for me. as many others have said, there are no best frames. there are slightly more suitable warframe for certain job. almost anything can be OP if you invest enough on it.

I play this game with a friend and not really interested in play public, so we want to divide the "necessary" frames between us. it's a good plan. playing with friends is the best. but it won't hurt to hop on public every once in a while. for instance when you want to open relics

Not really interested in prime frames for now, we only need 2-3 frames to use on them orokin reactor and be able to deal more easy with enemies lvl 60+ why not. prime frames are generally easier to get than their regular counterparts. and if you want to invest reactors or catalysts, primes are the wiser option. unless we're talking about primeless or vaulted stuff, then go ahead.

Basically we want one frame for defence, one for dps and one support/healer if needed, otherwise we are not sure about frames with invisibility skill for spy mission.
We are doing spy on Oceanum without big problem and get the max points stealth, if i understand how this mission work, so maybe we not really need a invisible frame.
if you ever need one, i recommend wukong. both regular (considering you're in a good clan) and prime version are relatively easy to get. he ignores lasers and pretty tanky

Actually we completed around 7-8 frames, but we only get interest in Gara, seems to work both for dps and defence. that's how you play warframe: you like a frame, you go make it. you're interested in gara? go make gara, mate!

I like Frost, but not sure if is better a double Gara or a Frost and a Gara. frost is a good defender. his mechanics are pretty old so he might feel like a one trick pony, but again: invest enough, and you will end up with a great frame. nowadays limbo has replaced frost in the meta for defense, but i have outperformed a couple of limbos with a properly built frost. if you like frost, don't be afraid and go make one. imho your group of friends can benefit more with variety.

Sorry to be so long, hope someone can help, every time i see a frame and read the description i nearly always find some particularity of it i like and want to try it, but for now the slots are too low. you're not alone. frame's descriptions rarely paint the full picture.

A curiosity, this site is trustable for the tier list, maybe in this way i can narrow a bit the list of choice even for weapons(Another really big problem of decision) most stuff that sits on top of their tier lists are great, so you probably won't go wrong with thoose. but it poorly describes the strength of some stuff that sits lower on their tier lists. some stuff got buffed, some new stuff got introduced, some got nerfed, and the tier lists sometimes couldn't keep up.

i concur with everyone that advise you to just make everything. i know at first slots can be pretty hard to come by, but if you move forward inside the game, you will find methods to increase your slots. enjoy warframe and good luck, tenno!

EDIT:
Little question, Volt worth anything to keep it if i take Nezha or Ember? volt is a great eidolon hunter. but if you don't like a frame that much, you can always use them on that red back room on your orbiter. i won't spoil anything if you haven't reach it, but you can use it after finishing quests on deimos.

43 minutes ago, Soy77 said:

I'm always been a terrible indecisive person and have so much different type of frames to choice don't help. you'll be happy to hear that you can make almost no mistake in warframe. almost nothing is permanent, so being indecisive is not punished in this game

I tried to read around to understand which are the best frames, but even in this way there are too much choice for me. as many others have said, there are no best frames. there are slightly more suitable warframe for certain job. almost anything can be OP if you invest enough on it.

I play this game with a friend and not really interested in play public, so we want to divide the "necessary" frames between us. it's a good plan. playing with friends is the best. but it won't hurt to hop on public every once in a while. for instance when you want to open relics

Not really interested in prime frames for now, we only need 2-3 frames to use on them orokin reactor and be able to deal more easy with enemies lvl 60+ why not. prime frames are generally easier to get than their regular counterparts. and if you want to invest reactors or catalysts, primes are the wiser option. unless we're talking about primeless or vaulted stuff, then go ahead.

if you ever need one, i recommend wukong. both regular (considering you're in a good clan) and prime version are relatively easy to get. he ignores lasers and pretty tanky

Actually we completed around 7-8 frames, but we only get interest in Gara, seems to work both for dps and defence. that's how you play warframe: you like a frame, you go make it. you're interested in gara? go make gara, mate!

I like Frost, but not sure if is better a double Gara or a Frost and a Gara. frost is a good defender. his mechanics are pretty old so he might feel like a one trick pony, but again: invest enough, and you will end up with a great frame. nowadays limbo has replaced frost in the meta for defense, but i have outperformed a couple of limbos with a properly built frost. if you like frost, don't be afraid and go make one. imho your group of friends can benefit more with variety.

Sorry to be so long, hope someone can help, every time i see a frame and read the description i nearly always find some particularity of it i like and want to try it, but for now the slots are too low. you're not alone. frame's descriptions rarely paint the full picture.

A curiosity, this site is trustable for the tier list, maybe in this way i can narrow a bit the list of choice even for weapons(Another really big problem of decision) most stuff that sits on top of their tier lists are great, so you probably won't go wrong with thoose. but it poorly describes the strength of some stuff that sits lower on their tier lists. some stuff got buffed, some new stuff got introduced, some got nerfed, and the tier lists sometimes couldn't keep up.

i concur with everyone that advise you to just make everything. i know at first slots can be pretty hard to come by, but if you move forward inside the game, you will find methods to increase your slots. enjoy warframe and good luck, tenno!

EDIT:
Little question, Volt worth anything to keep it if i take Nezha or Ember? volt is a great eidolon hunter. but if you don't like a frame that much, you can always use them on that red back room on your orbiter. i won't spoil anything if you haven't reach it, but you can use it after finishing quests on deimos.

This are good thing for a videogame(no punish for choice and every characters can be good), but not help with my patological indecision, but this is a good thing for the game.

Yes i started to notice this thing checking nezha, is more easy get the prime version than take the normal, wukong seems interesting too.

Gara surely will be the first we will use the reactor, is good both defence and damage so is a good first to start.

For now i will keep Frost too, is old mechanic but i always liked it, i played alot when i started playing warframe the first time in 2013( i stopped for lack of time in start of 2014, so the game is basically new for me), but is easy to get again so probably i will sell it.

I think for now i will keep gara and Oberon(because is not easy to get again).

Really in doubt for Volt, we already have all the the laboratories in dojo ready but is long time to get things in there and very costly for now.

Probably i will try to get Nezha instead keeping Ember, seems give more variety in play, Ember i find myself spamming 4 too much.

Thanks you too for the hints.

If I had to pick only 3 frames to get me through the majority of star chart content to lvl 60+ it would be...

Saryn for defence. I know, shocking considering she is more of an offensive frame but if it's lvl 60 and under then there is not too much pressure on you in a defence so a nuke saryn can really help you clear out waves easy. With that said so can many other frames. She can also double as a dps. Frost would be my backup pick in the defence department. He is pretty easy to use and has some great utility and survivability early game. Plus he is an armor strip machine late game with a good mod set up.

For dps I would go mirage. She honestly has some of the best dps buffs in the game. She can be squishy though but the trade off is big damage numbers. If you need dps but something more tanky then a chroma is ideal although he doesn't pack as much of a punch as mirage.

For support it's hands down oberon. His augment for his renewal will prevent you and team mates from dying every time you take fatal damage. It has a 90 second cool down but well worth it imo. His smite augment can give you and your team extra radiation damage which is very handy and smite scales with enemy lvl so can kill mobs whatever level they may be. His 4 is pretty trash though (comparatively to other ults). However if infinite energy is a must then trin is goat.

Warframe content can be overwhelming. Good news is, there's no timelimit to try things out. Just try things out and note what you enjoy. Having many different frames to me is a joy because I can go through the list and go: oh I haven't play this one in a while, let's go! Sure there's certain frames that due to their kit are more suited for certain types of missions, but generally if you outfit yourself well and understand the frame you are playing you can make anything work in your favor.

Some players will rate frames in terms of power or say certain frames are trash. Those players are simply misguided because they just rate them based on their own playstyle.

Just find what you like. Take your time. There is no rush. In fact if you rush you'll only find yourself more overwhelmed.

7 hours ago, (PSN)Unstar said:

As others have said, over time you will probably accumulate all of the frames, because Nightwave challenges give you free slots for more Warframes and weapons.  But you need something for the short-term, so here are my recommendations:

Protea - She really has it all.  Her 1st ability can either create large areas of shrapnel that will periodically stagger enemies, or it can give her whole team full overshields for defending them.  Her 2nd ability can kill pretty much any enemy.  Her 3rd ability keeps your team juiced up on energy, health, and ammo.  Protea doesn't excel quite as much in any role as the top contenders I'm going to list below, but so effective at everything that I would

If you need to defend an NPC or a console, I would recommend Frost or Gara.  Both of them have an ability that can create a powerful barrier.  Generally I would say that Gara's ability to do this is better (and she's a more powerful frame overall), but Gara's barrier doesn't defend from the top, which may be an issue at times, while Frost's is a sphere that defends from all angles.  However, if you want to defend an target that is walking around, they may not stay in your barrier.  In this case Limbo is a good choice, as he can put them in the Rift where enemies can't hurt them.  Limbo can also completely freeze all of the enemies in an area, so he's a good general alternative to Frost and Gara, but it's not quite the same as a shield.  The reason I didn't suggest Limbo overall for defense is because when his freezing ability doesn't 100% work with Sentient enemies, otherwise he would be at the top of the list.

For stealth, Ivara.  Just Ivara.  She can do it all, and she does it better than the rest.  The only downside is that she can't run while invisible, but she more than makes up for it by having the most thorough and versatile set of tools for any stealth mission.

If you want a frame that specializes in murdering a bunch of enemies, I would recommend either Ember or Saryn.  They both can use their abilities to wipe rooms quickly.  Ember only goes after what she's facing and the results tend to be immediate, while Saryn is a bit more technical, but can kill over a wider area.  Generally Saryn will kill more enemies faster than Ember, but each individual death will not be as fast, so Saryn has to worry more about surviving the enemies in front of her (though not much).  Mesa is a good alternative, as she specializes in killing single targets, but can also kill so fast that she can kill multiple targets easily as well.  She's as good at killing multiple enemies as Ember and Saryn, but you do have to aim her in the appropriate direction and she requires line-of-sight to kill, while Ember and Saryn can kill enemies they can't see.  Another alternative is Octavia.  Octavia is one of the ultimate frames when it comes to murder.  No matter what the levels of the enemy, Octavia will kill them.  However, she does kill more slowly than the previously mentioned frames...that is, until the enemies get so strong that they have trouble killing enemies quickly.  And that's when Octavia shines, because she can kill level 9999 enemies just as effectively as level 60 enemies.  (Note: Octavia can also do stealth missions and has very good crowd control, so she's a solid all-around pick similar to Protea if you'd like one Warframe that can fill multiple roles)

If you want a healer, Trinity is simply the best at it.  She can keep the whole team full on energy and health while also mitigating damage to the team.  She's also one of the best tanks in the game, if you need a Warframe to just soak up enemy attacks.

Hope this helps!  Have fun!

for Ivara, Infiltrate and Ability Strength increases her move speed when Prowling plus she points and laughs at lasers. I find as it cloaks her and companion a Vulpaphyla and Ivara or Smeeta if resource farming- are the tag team from hell. An unarmed Carrier Prime is great with a silenced Bramma-packing Ivara too but solid advice all-round on your post

Archived