Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Update 30: Void Storms Feedback Megathread (Closed)

[DE]CoreyOnline

Void Storms are generally slower than the normal fissure counterparts. A Railjack mission takes around 10-15 minutes to complete, which is around 2-3 endless mission rotations. We can balance this out by say.. bringing 2-3 relics instead of one. 

In a grinding game, efficiency matters. Most players will abandon the mode because it’s not efficient reinforced with player greed.

I think it would be great that Fighters can also be corrupted to drop void reactants. Not every player likes to board every crew ship and letting ramsleds in to get reactant or you can make void reactant drops to be shared to the entire squad.

Another thing I would like to add is please separate Sevagoth and Epitath from the main Void Storm drop table. Add them into their own drop table with the same drop chance. We all hate drop table dilution, it will only make the game mode discouraging in the long run.

Addendum : I am glad you guys included the efficiency feedback in the Trello board. Hopefully this will get executed.

BUG: My Bonewidow Necramech could not damage the void flashbang things. I shot at directly at them with my Mausolon but no damage indicator was even shown and they took no damage. I got splash damage indications when shooting near them but they still took no damage at all.

I noticed that, too. That final multi-explosion looks like a glitch, however. If it is intended, then it should be definitely toned down. Or at least we could be given a slider for void storms visual effects.

Seems there is a fix for it.

3 minutes ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

Fixed a Script Error caused by Void Storms. This would cause crazy bursts of colour and stacking effects, and should be resolved now. 

Void storms - only ran one.  It was way too long to crack one relic.  Once people have frame and weapon parts, will anyone ever want to run these again?  Enemies are too few.  We completed every objective except about 20 more fighters (out of 107) before we even saw a corrupted (in the already cleared out derelict side objective).  This was a Veil skirmish, btw.  3 different zones cleared, and then we had to reenter one of them to collect our reactant.

Also the host's ship was a complete POS.  1.2something health and what felt like MK 1 weapons.  This kind of ship shouldn't be allowed to host in Veil.  I would have taken my own, but there's no option for me to choose to host a public Railjack mission (anymore).  I might just choose to solo these, as I'm not at all interested in these missions to actually crack relics.  Am assuming if I don't crack mine, I still get the mission rewards, yes?

The quest - short.  Not very memorable.

There's 3 major things I don't like about Void Storm missions:

1. After the mission is completed, everyone is back aboard the Railjack, rewards are recieved and enemies have despawned - why does the void lightning strike continue to damage me in the Navigation menu as I set up the next mission, refine relic etc, chase my team mates and down my NPC Crew? This seems pointlessly mean.

2. Corrupted mobs and dropping reactant in Volatile missions is very meagre indeed. We got stuck at 9 reactant in a Neo Storm because hardly any mobs spawned and of those only a tiny fraction corrupted and dropped trace. Huge waste of time. Why don't mobs in PoIs and Secondary objectives have a chance of dropping retactant? It means we have to sit and farm ramsleds before going inside and that's tedious. Will be sticking to the Exterminates for now.

3. The visual noise is off the charts, even by Ludicrous particle setting standards. The giant void storm blast thigns that fill half my ship and instantly down my NPC crew hurt my eyes so much I have to turn away. And yes I normally play on Ludicrous without issue. Even the lesser green void wisp effects that show you're being targetted by a Void bolt are incredibly obtrusive when added on top of everything else.

8 hours ago, [DE]CoreyOnline said:

Please use this thread to let us know your feelings on the following:

Difficulty and understanding of what you have to do to succeed

• Void Storm Enemies
  • Void Storm Rewards
  • Anything else relating to Void Storms

Enemies. It would help the flow of missions if fighters had a chance to drop reactant, but I understand why you wouldn't want to do so for sake of Skrimish missions existing. The community will adjust and take down crewships w/ Archwing in response. It'll be a gripe, but not requiring adjustment. Just preferring.

Rewards. I have a 30-40% chance for useless rewards on all Void Storm missions. Why are the new Pistol and Sevagoth pieces permanent holds in the drop table? It encourages me to NOT do these long term. I don't want 87 Sevagoth Neuroptics in a few months. It discourages me from choosing this over a Disruption or Capture Fissure, wherein I can open my relics faster. If the mission checked "Do you currently have one of X in your inventory? If so, then will roll different reward." it'd be different, but trusting the client's information is poor practice, per Steve on a dev stream. If the Epitaph and Sevagoth pieces are regular drops that I would accumulate dozens of if I played Void Storms, unusable for other portions of the game because I already have built them, then I don't desire playing missions where I have a 30-40% chance for some number of credits. As an MR 30 from Closed Beta days, Credits are not a thing I require often enough for a few 3,500 Credits to put a dent in things.

1) Reduce the VFX, they can and will cause seizures to epileptic people.

2) Tell me, who was the mastermind behind the thought of voidstorms being nothing special than just fissures but in railjack? As others before me have said, void storms are terribly inefficient to people that want to crack a lot of relics. Not being able to crack multiple relics per mission is guaranteed to get people to never touch this mode again after they've farmed Sevagoth and his weapons. You wanted to have railjack tie in with regular content, yet you absolutely fail to take our time into consideration. If someone just wants to crack relics, why would they choose a slow RJ mission over multiple rotations in an endless one? Get back to the drawing board and stop being lazy and disconnected from the community.

Tried to use Crew for two Corpus Voidstorms, and they died nigh on immediately. Either Crew needs HP buffs, the interior of Railjack needs to not randomly spawn enemies when there isn't a ramsled, or the random lightning bolts that almost 1 hit KO Endurance 5 Crew need to be removed from the ship. And considering how much the Omni gets jammed in this (might've bugged out?), I can't get back to my ship in time to revive all 3 of my Crew before they are all dead from the random lightning bolts. The only other option is to use the new matchmaking for Railjack since Corpus Proxima that completely ruined public play since you have to roll the dice to hope your ship is the one that is hosting, and that you aren't entering something like the Veil with a 1k HP Tier 1 guns and ship parts, if even those and not pure defaults.

Also, rewards are just terrible. Epitaph and Sevagoth parts taking up the majority of the loot pool would be cool... if it was only on like a single node. It's a complete waste of time to spend 15+ minutes on a single Voidstorm for relics either, since captures can take like 2 minutes if you use fast solo strategies. Maybe that pre-launch feedback that was dismissed quite heavily on several streams talking about how multiple relics cracking per mission would actually make them worthwhile, otherwise I seriously don't know what will save this mode.

Void storms seem pretty great in concept , and it’s good depending on mission missions like skirmish take a long time to complete (solo) due to having to teleport in and out to destroy/expose radiators please allow AI to target them . 

I also ran into one bug where the void storm explosion effect will mess up my screen for a long time and it’s disorienting . 

The quest was extremely short (felt like 5-10 min), but I enjoyed it nevertheless, because it had a nice flow to it and an ancient funeral ritual vibe.

As for the Void Storms: gigantic waste of time. I definitely won't spend another 15 min or more opening one relic on a bug-ridden railjack mission only to get stuck on extraction or someone dropping from the team. Why on earth would anyone want to spend way more time and effort with much greater risk of failure to do just the same as on a regular void fissures mission? After the majority will get Sevagoth, it will get buried and forgotten.

I didn't want to edit my initial reply since this is a different issue- but considering the Void Storms, I have frames that can survive Steel Path just fine, I have no problem surviving regular Veil Proxima just fine. These void storm ripples (or whatever they're called) and their constant spawning and exploding are absolutely shredding through everything i have, making me waste my revives, not to mention (yet again) how distracting they are. Turning down the particles helped with the visual problem i mentioned in my first reply, but how is anyone expected to solo this? Steel Path was suppose to be the hard path for people who wanted it, this is just suppose to be relic runs in Railjack. Was there a jump in difficulty I missed? This isn't fun, as I'm typing this I'm spectating my friend have to clean up what was my half of the mission, and they're barely getting by.

And right after I finished this they died and we failed the mission.

Quick first Void Storm feedback:

The Void Sinks are a neat addition. Surprisingly lethal even in Lith Missions, great way to spice up the existing Railjack and Fissure formulas.
Worth noting that the Void Sinks' Explosions absolutely tank my framerate, even with both Particle Settings on Low.

Doing Relics in Railjack is great to have for variety. More ways to crack Relics, more ways/reasons to play Railjack, Corrupted Enemy Units in Railjack. No complains here.

But my instantaneous and biggest complain;
I hopped on a Lith Mission, Kill X Fighters, 4 Crewships, 1 Point of Interest. I had reached 10/10 Traces by boarding the first Crewship. With Traces being shared pick-ups in Void Storms, I'd love it if once we collect 10, the Relic cracks and we select another one, like with Endless Fissures.
I would've cracked 3 to 6 Relics by my estimation during that Mission, which would've felt so much better. Currently it just feels like so much slower and with so much "wasted" time, that I can't see myself doing Void Storms over Void Fissures, after getting all the Epitaph and Sevagoth parts.

tl:dr, solid addition and nice twist on existing gameplay loops, but the reward structure is way too slow

few simple ideas to make void storms more interesting (not talking bugs and those super flashy VFX that shines brighter then the sun)

1. completelly remove reactants - void energy of the storm is enough to open relic, just make them cracked by default, you just have to finish mission to get to the relic loot

it will save a lot of reports about not enough mobs spawned, not enough reactants dropped ETC, we are INSIDE void energy, why the hell we need some void reactants to open relic, just throw it out of window into void energy waves

2. multiple relics opening - this mission is LONG - around 15 min to complete ... doing this to open 1 relic is pure nonsense - could be saved by simple trick - if you go solo you can pick 4 of your relics which will be automatically cracked and you will get rewards without picking anything, when going public you will get 1 item from each relic without possibility to choose, something like when you go normal relic hunt solo, item just adds to your inventory

fissure solo capture could be done in 60-70 seconds and you have relic cracked, giving 4 relics per mission  that takes 15 min is still not enough but better then current state

3. crew members AI is really bad ... if you doing skirmish and you used console inside ship/laboratory/whatever and there is something that needs to be done outside (like destroying those coolants) crew members should be able to do it, why is there a crewmember for piloting when he is doing nothing? make them use the ship and help with mission

Adding to the general choir that the VFX intensity on the void tears/sinks/whatnot are well into completely absurd territory. Likewise that rewards are low--in its current state I certainly wouldn't touch them again after getting the new frame and weapon from them.

Gotta do something about those purple voidstorm bubbles. On PS5 Several times I’ve seen dozens, maybe hundreds, stacked on top of eachother in one spot creating a massive instant death super nova (and tanking the frame rate down to nothing) and lasts a solid minute at least, so if anyone gets downed by it they’re pretty much screwed...

So, I played solo a few times Railjack missions on PC after I finished the new quest. Once normal mission in Veil Proxima, the rest were with Void Storms in different Proxima. Great stuff, good thinking, waiting for more soon, too short quest but nice. Though, I will talk only about the bugs I found.

1. The camera in one Corpus Exterminate mission with Void Storm didn't show Up. I moved the mouse, but it would just stop its' movement and didn't show higher than total straight forward. So it was a problem, especially when I wanted to do bullet jump to go fast high on a different floor.

2. The game during railjack (especially at the start of the missions) often would just stuck for a few seconds.

3. At some points, while I was in Void Storm mission in Grineer Veil Proxima, in an enemy place I had to hack, the explosions of the Void Storm thingies that they appear around, went crazy as I could see nothing else but that light blue energy and couldn't move for at least 6+ seconds. I literally thought the game broke at some points.

4. I use AI crew mates. In one normal Veil Proxima mission, I couldn't see them under my stats on the top right side. (photo)

5. My Kuva Lich who was one of my crew, just disappeared while I was not in the Railjack during a Void Storm. And no, it didn't show me he died, nor that I had enemies on my Railjack. However, whenever I was pressing "L" for Tactics, the game showed me his name like he was there alive, but when I was in the Railjack he wasn't there. Neither he was in the mini map on the top left.

6. I couldn't use Omni to return to my Railjack during all the missions I tried. That was a real problem, especially when the bot crew members were dying! (photo)

7. During one of the normal Grineer Veil Proxima missions without Void Storm, where you have to hack the consoles, hit some things from the outside to eventually expose the main core of the place, a few doors and the door that leads you to the bottom floor of that place for the last console to hack, would not open. I could see them unlocked (green symbol on the door), but it wouldn't open. I pressed /unstuck, used abilities, used Tenno, used Mech, opened fire against the door x), left and did the rest of the mission, waited, left to make dinner, explored the rest of the ship I had access to, but the door stayed closed. I had to exit the mission. >.>

So far, these are the problems I remember. Thanks for checking!

20210414000956-1.jpg

After people finish farming Sevagoth, there won't be a reason to do void storms over regular fissures for the simple reason that void fissures are faster. Void storms will need something else to keep people playing it regularly. I suggest having void trace pickups in the voidstorm that the railjack can pick up.

The void explosions are, as many players have stated, excessive and painful to the eyes. It feels like they appear every 3 seconds (faster than you can shoot the lot) and sometimes do barely any damage, sometimes outright kill you. Sometimes they look like they're bugged to repeat the exploding animation over and over, making a bubble of rippling white that hurts both performance and the eyes.

Also, I noticed fissures and corrupted enemies don't appear when a client player goes solo into a Point of Interest. If, for example, the host is flying the railjack and people are jumping out to board other stuff, you can't get any void traces.

The visual that I get when I'm close to a Void Sink completely hides the actual Void Sinks for me.  I simply don't know where they are to determine where to run to get away from them.  They also feel way to frequent, and appear on levels I can't see often (below/above/behind walls/doors).

To avoid complete POS host ships, I'm running Veil solo with no relic.  Exterminate.  My crew does die a lot to the Sinks (I think).  To the point where they're not really needed, assuming I can get to the final ship and Lotus takes over.  They die so often they are not worth saving.  I'm not sure what to do balance these, but the only real enemy is the insta-gibbing the Sinks do to the player/crew.  I can't prevent the crew from dying.  I can't see the Sinks when the Sink proximity visual is on my screen.  Feels very random.  I'm using revives way more on these than any other mission type I've ever done.  Using Wisp with healing mote on at all times (1600ish health).  I do have 2 of the frame parts, so hopefully am done soon with these missions.

Hello everyone.
First off hats off for the quest, love it, sea shanties for days and all that. <3
Also like a lot the possibility of doing some relics in railjack missions.
That being said: as is, I see people going to do some until they get one sevagoth or two and never come back for one very simple reason: time.

I'm not saying that railjack void storms are bad as a concept or anything of the sort, and I'll detail my reasonning below (I will not take into account fissure issues in grineer railjack where you have to board crewships to get your reactants. I consider this to be fine tuning more than anything else and I want to focus on the heavier stuff).

The problem can be seen from a lot of different angles, but imho it boils down to two elements:

1°) The extended length of a void storm mission compared to any fissure mission (yes, even defmob)
2°) The rewards one get from a void storm compared to any fissure mission (aka the same). The argument that void storms can last longuer because other things are in there do not hold because
           a. according to that logic, sabotage fissures and any fissure on a corpus ship or on the gaz city (except defense and interception) should last longuer because you can get extra rewards there.
           b. That's not why people are here and most will likely not bother to get extra rewards if it sidetracks them.

And the question for a player (or worse, a relic runner) will be “why am I taking 15 mins to do what I could do in 3?”. If De wants to offer us that question, the “why” must be meaningfull, otherwise it will be infested salvage all over again, but on a much bigger scale: people get in to farm the frame, get frustrated at its snail's pace, and collectively kinda forgets it exists once they're done. I'm sure most of us would like to avoid that and rather enjoy a cool mode with a nice reward pacing.

In devstream 153, answering a question about the possibility to crack multiple relics in one go in void storms, Steve said he wasn't against the idea as long as we could only take one reward with us. In and off itself, that's fair, but then we circle back to time: why should I crack two relics at the same time and choose only one reward when I could do at least two rounds of survival (aka the absolute slowest of relic-cracking pace)? The time requirement makes it not worth it.

The solution is easy to say but would be hard to fine tune: better rewards. The way I see it, it could go two ways:

1°) a place to farm void traces, and by that I mean a place to farm void traces, not where void traces are technically present in the drop pool but not consistent enough to be a decent reason to get them there. Naturally the amount of traces one could get in a mission should be caped to avoid obvious pitfalls (by the era of the relic maybe? Say, someone with a meso could get more traces than someone with a lith, but less than someone with a neo?)

Once we've opened our relic, we could still see void traces, and every ten of these we get a void trace drop, for instance. It's not great, but it's decent enough people could get there on occasion to get a lot of traces quickly and then go open their relics in more efficient ways (but, tbh, the amounts necessary to make this interesting to relic regulars is probably way too high).

2°) Crack multiple relics at once, but keep everything. Once you've opened one relic, you can still see void traces, and start opening your second relic. This can be tuned along several axes:

a°) at the end of the mission, a player can take a number of rewards equal to the number of relics s.he's opened.
b°) chosing rewards should work in rows, to keep relic runners engaged with strategizing the order in which they place relics to maximise their potential earnings.
c°) the max number of relics one can crack in a void storm mission should be at least equal to (average void storm mission duration in minutes/5) + 1. Otherwise, we would get back to the “why would I do that instead of survival?” situation we're trying to avoid.

To be honest this would not solve everything (relic runners would still prefer super short missions to speedrun their fissures, and doing void storms for void traces would not be big enough of a drive) but it could make it worth the while of a player who wants some railjack but does not want to spend 15 minutes to crack a simple relic.

Other options can be found, like orokin safes escaping from the void storm containing ducats. If people could average 50 on a void storm, it would be a good reason for people to get there and make it worth the time investment.

Again, I quite like the void storms, but the rewards we can get from it must match the time it requires to get said rewards. Sevagoth alone can only be that match when we don't have its parts. Once we do, we'll need something else for the long run.

Archived