Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why tenno are evil?

TeaHawk

10 minutes ago, TeaHawk said:

I had some suspicions before. But after call of Tempestarii... Seriously we're basically helping some ancient evil to finish its war crime? Why we are exterminating Corpus for no freaking reason? Isn't it called something like... genocide?

Because they would do the same to use a thousand times over?

Also what part of the Tempestarii is evil? It was a rescue vehicle that was lost in the void. 

Just now, (PSN)AdiosGamer said:

Are you drunk or on some smoking stuff?

I've just completed the quest and it all looks like a huge war crime.

Firstly, I don't understand Corpus RJ missions. We just come and kill thousands of people by exploding their ships for no reason.

Vala has been traveling through the Void to avenge her sisters exterminated by some random tenno ship. We just came in and eliminated all her crew once again. Just why? She had a pretty good reason to hunt down Tempestarii. It's a honorable revenge.

2 minutes ago, Kaokasalis said:

Because they would do the same to use a thousand times over?

Also what part of the Tempestarii is evil? It was a rescue vehicle that was lost in the void. 

Well Salad V is salad V. It's one among thousands or even millions. On RJ missions it would not seem that Corpus is seeking to destroy anything. We are basically defending their ships. We are basically coming to destroy all of them. Could someone at least explain what for? Are they threatening someone?

->Also what part of the Tempestarii is evil? It was a rescue vehicle that was lost in the void.

It does not look like a rescue ship. It does not act like a rescue ship.

59 minutes ago, TeaHawk said:

so you're just gonna brush off the what was it 2 017 rescued souls CY found in the ship logs during the quest?

Just now, EDM774 said:

so you're just gonna brush off the what was it 20 000 rescued souls CY found in the ship logs during the quest?

There's no rescue equipement or whatsoever. It's equipped as an attack RJ same we are piloting. Also, even though now there's no one to rescue. Why we are killing all the crew from the Corpus ship to save a simple outdated wreckage? We are killing hundreds of people to pay respects. Is that normal?

I must say, I didn't get much of the story during the mission. Wish they would add a bit more actual story telling rather than Cephalon Cy saying something after you hack a console. I understood there was a rescue ship (the tempestarii) and then we are fighting some ship and some woman and then well, it was all lost on me. Maybe I'll have to play the quest again to make sense of all this (like with any other Warframe quest).

But I never got the idea that the Tempestarii were the bad guys.

2 minutes ago, TeaHawk said:

There's no rescue equipement or whatsoever. It's equipped as an attack RJ same we are piloting. Also, even though now there's no one to rescue. Why we are killing all the crew from the Corpus ship to save a simple outdated wreckage? We are killing hundreds of people to pay respects. Is that normal?

Who's attacking who? If you go into the mission with no crew and don't fire a single round, will the corpus not attack?

2 minutes ago, TeaHawk said:

Well Salad V is salad V. It's one among thousands or even millions. On RJ missions it would not seem that Corpus is seeking to destroy anything. We are basically defending their ships. We are basically coming to destroy all of them. Could someone at least explain what for? Are they threatening someone?

Corpus don't destroy, they only exploit. The independent colonies defended by Steel Meridian, the Myconians and the Solaris are just some of the MANY people that has been exploited by the Corpus. And its not just Alad V but really their entire people. They trap their own people in pyramid schemes and debt all to enforce the current dogma of getting wealth through conflict at any cost. I am not advocating genocide of the Corpus but their current leaders are practically the worst of the lot and Vala got what was coming to her.

13 minutes ago, TeaHawk said:

The Orokin logs said otherwise and the ship has the right to defend itself.

1 minute ago, RazerXPrime said:

Who's attacking who? If you go into the mission with no crew and don't fire a single round, will the corpus not attack?

I personally think this game critically needs some options.  I'm a bit tired of exterminating everything. Vala's motivation is explained by the vengeance since her comrades have been obliterated by the Tenno. Honestly, I would like to simply leave. It's not my war.

Also there's New War coming. Sentients are the real enemy. And all we keep doing is wreaking havoc on our potential allies in this war.

1 minute ago, Kaokasalis said:

Corpus don't destroy, they only exploit. The independent colonies defended by Steel Meridian, the Myconians and the Solaris are just some of the MANY people that has been exploited by the Corpus. And its not just Alad V but really their entire people. They trap their own people in pyramid schemes and debt all to enforce the current dogma of getting wealth through conflict at any cost. I am not advocating genocide of the Corpus but their current leaders are practically the worst of the lot and Vala got what was coming to her.

Well... If corpus people are exploited and trapped in pyramid schemes risking dept for any obedience, then there must be a better solution rather than simply killing the innocent soldiers with no free will. Maybe it's time to focus on their leaders instead?

7 minutes ago, TeaHawk said:

Well... If corpus people are exploited and trapped in pyramid schemes risking dept for any obedience, then there must be a better solution rather than simply killing the innocent soldiers with no free will. Maybe it's time to focus on their leaders instead?

Their leaders are the worst of the lot but that doesn't mean their soldiers are innocent. You sure as hell don't see them trying to rebel do you? The only differences between the average crewman and a high ranking leader is how much they get paid but the greed is the same.

1 minute ago, Kaokasalis said:

Their leaders are the worst of the lot but that doesn't mean their soldiers are innocent. You sure as hell don't see them trying to rebel do you? The only differences between the average crewman and a high ranking leader is how much they get paid but the greed is the same.

How can they rebel if the dogma is enforced from the childhood to death and any rebellion is quickly localized and suppressed? All rebels we find are struggling to survive on Fortuna. And it does not seem the way.

9 hours ago, TeaHawk said:

It was a void rescue ship. It had a void drive aboard, and that is all it needs to dive into the void and make its rescues, as is demonstrated during the quest. At the point where the Corpus were attempting to capture and destroy the Tempestarii, it was still on a mission to save someone. It only turns out afterwards that the 'person' being rescued is already dead.

Yes, it is heavily armed. It was lost during the old war, after all, so it likely had to defend itself from Sentient attackers whenever it wasn't diving the void. 

What Vala did is the equivalent of bombing a hospital.

What is the purpose of the Tenno fighting against the Corpus and the Grineer?

Because, as has been poorly explained, the Corpus and Grineer we fight are a warring, oppressive force on a system that is apparently full of their victims.

We don't see a lot of the people that are oppressed by the Corpus or Grineer, although we're constantly working with the grineer peaceful defectors in the Defection missions, and we're constantly helping out the Solaris on Venus, who are oppressed to the point that they have to actually sell their limbs and organs in order to start paying back debt that has been on their families for generations...

Even the Ostrons, who are traders and peaceful, still have to deal with grineer invaders into the Plains on the daily, getting captured, enslaved, killed for sport...

The Tenno are a group displaced from their time, they were a force for war with the Sentients, but after the war was won... We went to sleep. We're awake now in this new time because the Grineer and Corpus keep digging up our Warframes and trying to use them for research to unlock more and more powerful tech to fight their ongoing wars.

So what are we doing fighting the Corpus and the Grineer? Surviving. Destroying oppressors. Fighting armies.

Are we good people?

Probably not.

Are we fighting worse people to help the good people?

Definitely.

20 hours ago, TeaHawk said:

I personally think this game critically needs some options.  I'm a bit tired of exterminating everything. Vala's motivation is explained by the vengeance since her comrades have been obliterated by the Tenno. Honestly, I would like to simply leave. It's not my war.

Also there's New War coming. Sentients are the real enemy. And all we keep doing is wreaking havoc on our potential allies in this war.

I agree with you. Same with Ropalolyst... we could let the boss live. War within give us some options... that means nothing.

Instead of those "flashy" RJ I would rather have some choices. I guess we are in minority.

Finding story in a game that is tossing it out there in bits and pieces over a decade and is making things up as it goes. By this point the Tenno are nothing and everything, like everyone else. In other words, good, evil, whatever. It makes no difference. Everyone in the game does what sides with their own personal gain (if we are to look for a story) to serve the bigger option of just playing in different ways. Like Invasions. One second we are helping Grineer mow down Corpus, the next we are helping Corpus mow down Grineer. Or is the Red Veil some sort of noble cause? They are assassins and the Tenno are pretty much at this point just henchmen that do whatever wherever. I barely pay attention to the story by now. Was so into it by second dream, then it started losing interest on me period. New War Old War Side War bla bla bla while we are practically kids in a suit (man this annoyed me when it was revealed, but I went along)...

5 years later, and we are pretty much still at the same point. I don't even think they have any profound or interesting story period tbh. The rate at which they are dishing it out and the convoluted "secrecy" of how it is slowly revealed and through a cephalon in the back of the ship that you barely hear while you are hacking people into bits, is more there to create the idea that it is something profound when it isn't. When you put it all down, its just some simple arbitrary plot. Whoop dee doo.

Sorry to sound so negative on it, but seriously, I left the game a year before Empyrean came out, came back now, done the quests, and its practically still the same thing.

Just gimme things to shoot and cool ways to do it at this point. I really don't care. And when a game like Doom Eternal manages to put together a more actually complex backstory in less than half the time and in one go when its supposed to be nothing but a crazy guy killing things in hell, then something ain't right.

Point being, to go further into rationalizing with the story in terms of morals and what not? In WF? Nah, I'll pass xD

I'll try to sidestep the semantics discussion and just say this:

I agree with the OP's sentiment. I personally tend to find that the ending of the "Call of the Tempestarii" quest is broadly out-of-theme with the rest of its own narrative. Vala is set up as a bitter, traumatised survivor now driven by a self-destructive need for revenge. Sevagoth, on the flip side, is set up as a ghost of the past - long dead but still haunted by its final rescue mission. All of this makes sense, but the ending is a complete inversion. The quest finale is us fighting enemy craft until we charge up a giant Genki Dama with which to blow up "the enemy," and then we go ahead and go through the motions of a rescue mission. It seems like the exact opposite of what should have happened.

I posted this elsewhere, but I keep feeling that the Quest should have had one more step. Instead of killing Vala, we cripple her ship and escape... Only for her to follow anyway, with a ship pushed to the breaking point and melting down. Forced to choose between her and the capsule, we take the capsule and jump out, leaving Vala to die from her own quest of revenge - rather than killing her ourselves. It would have played far better to the themes the Quest itself set up, it would have made for a nice duality between Vala and Sevagoth both trapped in a state with no reason to live but with a stubborn refusal to die before accomplishing one last thing. It would have played on the themes of perpetuation of violence and could even have let us show some compassion at the tail end of murdering countless soldiers who may not have deserved it.

Warframe toyed around with a Light/Dark morality system at one point. It ultimately meant nothing, but it was still a neat way to create the illusion of choice. What happened to that?

58 minutes ago, Steel_Rook said:

but I keep feeling that the Quest should have had one more step

I feel it should have had several more...

Investigating the Tempestarii, establishing Vala as a more dogged and pursuing force that just sees another Tenno Railjack 'helping' the Tempestarii and (when she can't follow it) following us to get to it, maybe we even have to fight off her ship but can't kill it because she's done something that prevents the Tempestarii (and thus other Tenno) from boarding... or we get the introduction of the giant claw machine trapping us a bit earlier and have to escape it with our own Railjack first.

Heck, have our escape be what lets Vala upgrade the claw to the point where it can hold the Tempestarii...

And then the defense of the Tempestarii, the introduction of the Shadow Helmsman was great, but our experience of blacking out while it defends the ship is rather poorly explained and oddly stretched out... I do like the simplicity of that, with the boarding parties coming, us blacking out, the Shadow sequence, and then 'waking up' to find all those dead crewmen... but it did need better pacing there.

Then the 'rescue' mission, we just fiddle-dee-dee'd the corrupted data, maybe a mission of us flying the Tempestarii to a Corpus scanning base to raid that for 'deep Void scans' to help with that?

Top that off with Vala's ship jumping into system behind us as we finish up the different stages, always just that little bit behind, but catching up.

We could have had some better tension, more sense of Vala as a force to be reckoned with (as far as the Tempestarii was concerned), and a more satisfying end with your own suggestion of crippling her ship before we leave on the rescue mission.

Archived