So about the ending of "Call of the Tempestarii"

19 hours ago, GrayArchon said:

It is curious why he was there. I assume he can go back and forth at will, but the question remains: why? Perhaps he needs to gather Void energy for something he's working on, or maybe he just detected that Vala was there and went to get her.

My guess is he is working on the new Corpus Queenpins. 

She will be the first, lore-wise, or something to that effect.

4 minutes ago, -Augustus- said:

The timing of its loss and her relatively recent existence don't make any sense. Did it randomly reappear, and happen to coincide with a void storm that wiped out the Corpus station (or whatever) she was working outside? That's...not much of a revenge motive if you have the slightest concept of what a void storm even is.

If you play the quest you can see that it can defend itself

& she specifically says in the quest that she was waiting for it's shields to go down, e.i. when we made contact with it

• Like 1

Just now, Ailia_Grimm said:

If you play the quest you can see that it can defend itself

& she specifically says in the quest that she was waiting for it's shields to go down, e.i. when we made contact with it

I think you missed my point. The ship was lost during the Old War. Neither the Corpus station nor Vala herself were around then. So what's supposed to have happened? Ship reappeared in a void storm and randomly attacked the station because...reasons? It's a narratively vapid, 10 minute "quest" that gives a new frame. Meh. Song's nice.

16 minutes ago, -Augustus- said:

The timing of its loss and her relatively recent existence don't make any sense. Did it randomly reappear, and happen to coincide with a void storm that wiped out the Corpus station (or whatever) she was working outside? That's...not much of a revenge motive if you have the slightest concept of what a void storm even is.

Here's how I understood it: 

She is angry because the Tempestarii attacked the space station her and her "battle sisters" were on and destroyed it. 

Then the already damaged Tempestarii and Vala and whatever ship she managed to comandeer got caught in a void storm and ended up in a timeless loop, like all things in the void, time doesn't really exist or pass like we know it. 

Cephalon Cy finds their signal after he has been rebuilt thousands of years later, and takes you to the Tempestarii still searching for the bits of itself that got lost in the void so it can find peace, and Vala still seeking revenge. When we destroy her ship, she finds safe harbor in the Granum Void, where Parvos is presumably turning her into the first Corpus Queenpin. 

Edited by Tesseract7777

2 minutes ago, Tesseract7777 said:

Here's how I understood it: 

She is angry because the Tempestarii attacked the space station her and her "battle sisters" were on and destroyed it. 

Then the already damaged Tempestarii and Vala and whatever ship she managed to comandeer got caught in a void storm and ended up in a timeless loop, like all things in the void, time doesn't really exist or pass like we know it. 

Cephalon Cy finds their signal after he has been rebuilt thousands of years later, and takes you to the Tempestarii still searching for the bits of itself that got lost in the void so it can find peace, and Vala still seeking revenge. When we destroy her ship, she finds safe harbor in the Granum Void, where Parvos is presumably turning her into the first Corpus Queenpin. 

If Vala is an Orokin-era Corpus who's been chasing a white whale RJ for literal millennia after picking a fight with it back during the Old War... that seems like something they really should have indicated more distinctly.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, -Augustus- said:

I think you missed my point. The ship was lost during the Old War. Neither the Corpus station nor Vala herself were around then. So what's supposed to have happened? Ship reappeared in a void storm and randomly attacked the station because...reasons? It's a narratively vapid, 10 minute "quest" that gives a new frame. Meh. Song's nice.

Call of the Tempestarii for dummies:

Old War Railjack gets sucked up & corrupted by a Void storm

Time is very distorted in the Void & the ship appears all over the Solar system when a Void storm appears

Later on-

Corpus commander Vala sees a Railjack appearing instantaneously near their base, assuming they are enemies

They attack it 'cause they think they are enemies, Tennos most likely

Tempestarii defends itself & destroys the whole base with the Void vortex

Vala is mad & swears to get revenge, pursuing it to every Void storm she could find

Later on-

We encounter the Tempestarii & make contact with it to free Sevagoth

Vala takes the opportunity that the ship can't attack to attack it herself

We defend the ship & kill all her crew with the same weapon that killed all her friends & troops years ago

We free Sevagoth from the Void, he's now free

-

Mysterious golden hand assumed to be Parvos reaches out to Vala- End quest

Edited by Ailia_Grimm
  • Like 7

3 minutes ago, -Augustus- said:

If Vala is an Orokin-era Corpus who's been chasing a white whale RJ for literal millennia after picking a fight with it back during the Old War... that seems like something they really should have indicated more distinctly.

IDK to me it was clear it was from the Old War. 

Cephalon Cy has you doing that spy mission for Orokin Era battle records, and first introduces us to the ship as "Your Golden Masters". I thought basically all warframes we recover are supposed to have been lost during the old war. 

Seems like sort of a Moby $&*^ story in a way though yeah. 

Of course, the above poster has a different interpretation that suggests Vala isn't from the old war, to me I interpreted it differently, but I'm open to different ways of looking at it. Some of it was kind of ambigous. 

I might have to play it a few more times... to get a better look at the lore, I want to be sure I am interpreting it right. 

Edited by Tesseract7777

50 minutes ago, Tesseract7777 said:

IDK to me it was clear it was from the Old War. 

Cephalon Cy has you doing that spy mission for Orokin Era battle records, and first introduces us to the ship as "Your Golden Masters". I thought basically all warframes we recover are supposed to have been lost during the old war. 

Seems like sort of a Moby $&*^ story in a way though yeah. 

Of course, the above poster has a different interpretation that suggests Vala isn't from the old war, to me I interpreted it differently, but I'm open to different ways of looking at it. Some of it was kind of ambigous. 

I might have to play it a few more times... to get a better look at the lore, I want to be sure I am interpreting it right. 

I didn't question whether the ship Tempestarii was Old War-era, I questioned whether Vala was. I was fairly thorough hunting for any lore fragments during the quest, which was made easier by how short it was, and didn't see anything suggesting Vala or her Corpus ship was Orokin-era Corpus rather than shiny new Corpus. The point raised about Cy's reference to the incident in which Vala's  station was attacked seems equally well explained by the fact that Cy would now be up to date on everything that's happened since he was deactivated. 

The fact the above poster can come up with a completely different narrative and be so arrogantly certain about it as to entitle their screed "Call of the Tempestarii for dummies" seems like solid evidence to me they did a poor job of laying out whatever they believed their narrative to be. 

44 minutes ago, Kraethius said:

Doesn't Cy mention a certain incident at which Vala was also present? If Cy knows it then it kinda has to be Old War era stuff.

He does, but do we think he's not able to access the Tenno version of Wikipedia? Not like he has anything else to do since being reactivated. Cy referencing it doesn't seem like evidence to me that the incident occurred at or before the point the Tempestarii was lost during the Old War.

Edited by -Augustus-
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, -Augustus- said:

The fact the above poster can come up with a completely different narrative and be so arrogantly certain about it as to entitle their screed "Call of the Tempestarii for dummies" seems like solid evidence to me they did a poor job of laying out whatever they believed their narrative to be. 

I disagree, I think whatever poster you're talking about just wasn't paying attention, and there's nothing wrong with the writing this time.

Vala is specifically hunting a Void-possessed ship, in such a way that makes it very clear she's not hunting a standard Railjack. She discusses anti-Void weaponry that is never once used on actual players. This, combined with the fact the Tempest will happily blast anything that isn't a Tenno, makes it pretty clear that Vala's tragedy was relatively recent, after the Tempest became a ghost ship

I don't see any ambiguity that wouldn't be resolved by just paying attention

10 minutes ago, -Augustus- said:

seems like solid evidence to me they did a poor job of laying out whatever they believed their narrative to be. 

Agreed. I am reading through the transcripts from the quest on Wikipedia and tbh some of it is as clear as mud. 

I retract most of my theories about Vala's timeline until I have more information. I have come to the conclusion it is too ambiguous. 

She makes it sound early on like she is working for Parvos, but that has multiple explanations. Is she a recent recruit? Or is she old war back when Parvos hadn't been lost and still ran the roost? It could be either. Was the person reaching out to her really Parvos or some void entity like him? Could it have even been Nef trying to ascend to voidhood? 

And even if she was a recent Parvos recruit, he could have found her trapped in the void. Clearly she knows who Parvos was from old, but why is she talking about telling Parvos she found the ghost ship unless she is already currently working for him. 

Lots of questions, I feel like they wanted it to be open ended idk. 

I love how attached people already are to the new lore though, telling each other they are dummies for "not getting it", lol. 

Edited by Tesseract7777
  • Like 1

Just now, Tesseract7777 said:

She makes it sound early on like she is working for Parvos, but that has multiple explanations. Is she a recent recruit? Or is she old war back when Parvos hadn't been lost and still ran the roost? It could be either.

The first time you hear his name in the quest, she's asking to call him on the phone. Right that minute. She's a recent recruit

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TARINunit9 said:

The first time you hear his name in the quest, she's asking to call him on the phone. Right that minute. She's a recent recruit

I could have understand it wrong. I'm going to play the quest a few more times just to make sure I get the somachord stuff and enjoy it fully anyways, so I'll probably understand what you mean once I play through it again a couple times. I did it without stopping to smell the roses the first time and I crashed a couple times too. 

Regardless it's really fun to have new lore to talk about, and I still think the scene at the end is probably some kind of segue toward the queenpins but who knows maybe I'll be wrong about that too lmao. 

1 minute ago, Tesseract7777 said:

I did it without stopping to smell the roses the first time and I crashed a couple times too. 

Yeah that would do it, because here's the quote:

• Vala Glarios: "I see you, you bastard. I see you. Contact Parvos Granum immediately. Get me authorization for multiphasic ordinance. Tell him I've found that damned ghost!"

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, TARINunit9 said:

I disagree, I think whatever poster you're talking about just wasn't paying attention, and there's nothing wrong with the writing this time.

Vala is specifically hunting a Void-possessed ship, in such a way that makes it very clear she's not hunting a standard Railjack. She discusses anti-Void weaponry that is never once used on actual players. This, combined with the fact the Tempest will happily blast anything that isn't a Tenno, makes it pretty clear that Vala's tragedy was relatively recent, after the Tempest became a ghost ship

I don't see any ambiguity that wouldn't be resolved by just paying attention

Another one in the Vala's not Old War era bucket, then. Thank you for adding to my point.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, TARINunit9 said:

Yeah that would do it, because here's the quote:

Thinking she can contact Parvos doesn't really help fix where in the timeline she thinks she is, though. Like the Tempestarii, he was around both back then and right now.

What would be helpful is any reason to think that "multiphasic ordinance" didn't exist back in the day and is some new, very recent Corpus toy (that can only be authorized by someone who's barely even returned to realspace). Do you have any authority for that proposition?

Explaining Doctor Who GIF by BBC America

Edited by -Augustus-
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Crossfire78 said:

I didn't like this quest at all...

I was more a confusing visuel novelle then anything else just interupted with a couple seeker volleys and jamming drones.

The whole Sevagoth story and its main body emergence in the Temestarii after we void stormed Vala's ship back to Granum space is just dumb.

Where did it (the body) come from?

How did we picked it up?

Why did we shoot it, after the shadow combined itself with it, back into the void?

Why did the Temepestarii destory that Corpus Station in the first place?

Who are Vala's sisters she's talking and singing about?

(mind you the way it looked is that the void changed her into the first Queep Ping as you might deduce when u let the quest screen open for a bit after you finished the quest. After some time she sais something and her eyes turn black...

Not happening when you revisit the quest in the codex unfortunately..

All in all there was so much more energy and polish in Deadlock and Deimos then here, its not even funny.

Yes they said they shortened the quest for some reason but after this i really hope they reconsider and release a directors cut at some point, because right now i do not give a single piece of crap about anything and anyone here...

Why should i care about that generic mix of Cate Blanchet and DE Danielle anyway? -.-

I can answer at least most of these for you:

1: After banishing Vala to the Granum Rift, the Tempestarii Void-Jumps straight into the Void to retrieve Sevagoth's body. That was the whole "Complete the Tempestarii's final mission" thing Cy was blabbing about.

2: The target in that Void instance is the life pod where Sev is stowed.

3: Sevagoth had died, and we sent him into the Void in a viking funeral sort of way. It was both a means of honoring his death, and ensuring people wouldn't find him in the imminent future.

4: If you're talking about the backstory, nobody really knows. Presumably the Stanchion was up to no good. The Tempestarii was a rescue vessel, after all.

5: Vala's sisters were her fellows wgo did not survive the attack by the Tempestarii.

At least, that's what I've gathered.

1 hour ago, -Augustus- said:

Thinking she can contact Parvos doesn't really help fix where in the timeline she thinks she is, though. Like the Tempestarii, he was around both back then and right now.

What would be helpful is any reason to think that "multiphasic ordinance" didn't exist back in the day and is some new, very recent Corpus toy (that can only be authorized by someone who's barely even returned to realspace). Do you have any authority for that proposition?

Explaining Doctor Who GIF by BBC America

Well let me ask you this:

If you were watching 1917 and the German commander suddenly shouted "Contact Jesus immediately. Get me authorization for mustard gas. Tell him I've found that damned Tommy!" would that make any freaking sense? Of course not! He would say something like "Contact General Ludendorff immediately." You know, somebody who is actually in a position to be contacted

There is a reason Call of Tempest takes place AFTER Deadlock Protocol, because it takes place AFTER Parvos is free and able to be contacted again

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TARINunit9 said:

Well let me ask you this:

If you were watching 1917 and the German commander suddenly shouted "Contact Jesus immediately. Get me authorization for mustard gas. Tell him I've found that damned Tommy!" would that make any freaking sense? Of course not! He would say something like "Contact General Ludendorff immediately." You know, somebody who is actually in a position to be contacted

There is a reason Call of Tempest takes place AFTER Deadlock Protocol, because it takes place AFTER Parvos is free and able to be contacted again

That's an amusing hypothetical, inapplicable here but still amusing. But you're not addressing the point that Parvos was alive and contactable and running all things Corpus at two very distinct periods: (1) a very long time ago, back when the Tempestarii was still doing Old War stuff and not lost in the void, and then (2) thousands of years later in the time that is right now when Vala is speaking those lines. 

Does Vala know Parvos was on a millennia-long vacation somewhere, but has since returned? Or have Vala and the Tempestari being doing a void dance since back when Orokin were still big fans of naga drum music, she's just saying contact the guy who was running things when that whole timey-wimey thing started, and if she'd tried at any point in the thousand years before the events of Deadlock Protocol she would have gotten a number disconnected response from Parvos? There's no clear answer from the mission and lore as presented thus far.

If she's from the present time, and her incident with the Tempestarii is a more recent event, then there's still a bunch that doesn't make sense. Railjacks were not a thing that existed in WF until we very recently rebuilt Cy. Corpus seeing one would have no reason to perceive it as any kind of a threat. But then the story is that one turned up outside Vala's station in a void storm...and the Corpus instinctively start shooting? It's weak sauce all around.

• Like 1

Just now, -Augustus- said:

If she's from the present time

Which she is. Like... I'm surprised this is tripping you up at all, now that I understand what your confusion is. She's, like, roughly the same age as Nef Anyo, that much is obvious by looking at her, much less listening to her.

1 minute ago, -Augustus- said:

If she's from the present time, and her incident with the Tempestarii is a more recent event, then there's still a bunch that doesn't make sense. Railjacks were not a thing that existed in WF until we very recently rebuilt Cy. Corpus seeing one would have no reason to perceive it as any kind of a threat.

Which they don't. Congratulations on pointing out something already in the story. But despite me saying that:

2 minutes ago, -Augustus- said:

But then the story is that one turned up outside Vala's station in a void storm...and the Corpus instinctively start shooting? It's weak sauce all around.

The Corpus would still totally shoot at it. Remember what the Corpus call us: Betrayers. To the Corpus, we're at best a corpse to be looted for valuable parts, and at worse religious heretics. And on top of that, they're just petty jerks no better than the Grineer. They have MULTIPLE reasons to open fire on the Tempest despite not perceiving it as a threat

And this is even assuming they shot first. Because to quote Vala:

"I was working in an exosuit when the Tempstarii destroyed Lucretia Platform. I drifted for days among the frozen fragments of my crew. My Sisters. I dreamed their dead, gaping mouths were singing with me yet."

We have no idea who shot first

9 minutes ago, TARINunit9 said:

Which she is. Like... I'm surprised this is tripping you up at all, now that I understand what your confusion is. She's, like, roughly the same age as Nef Anyo, that much is obvious by looking at her, much less listening to her.

You're very certain about how someone trapped in a void might or might not age. Which is weird, considering the fact that Parvos appears to have gone into granum space a grizzled old dude and come out more or less the same. But whatever, either you grok the ambiguity or you don't.

I'm not sure what your point is about Corpus viewing tenno as betrayers. Corpus, until really really recently, would not have associated a RJ with the tenno at all. Until Sev, we knew them as Dax-crewed orokin craft. At most, they'd think holy crap, orokin-era salvage, but more likely they'd think WTF is that thing? Likewise, how does not being sure the Corpus shot first help the plot? If the Tempestarii shot first in a recent encounter, it was as far as it knew randomly attacking a friendly merchant ship while trying its hardest to do a rescue mission thing. This all could have been tied up neatly, with us learning the Corpus salvaged something lost from Sev, similar to the pod we retrieved later, the Tempestarii attacking them because of that, and hinc illae lacrimae for Vala. But it wasn't.

Edited by -Augustus-
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, AuroraSonicBoom said:

who the man in the wall is

I'd say that discussion is largely settled in the wake of Albrecht Entrati's tale.

Sevagoth's entire gimmick is based on wally.

Source?

People just refuse to acknowledge it because they're still suffering from anchorman bias from palladino implying wally and what rell saw is the same thing.

Palladino didn't say it. Rell said it. It's as direct as it could be.