Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Command intrinsic didn’t change solo much

(PSN)ggh667124

After doing a skirmish mission I realized the same issues in being solo is still prevalent : exposing/shooting radiator having to be done by teleporting in an out , crew ships needing you to leave pilot seat to go to the artillery seat . The most most offense of them all , forgery still requires manually going there (more annoying now due to the use of frame energy which I still believe to be a bad change ) 

What command really did was nothing since the AI main use is for gunnery which previously tether covered killing already , and then engineering which isn’t much different from having to use the R10 engineering. 

Presented solutions : allow pilot AI to target exposed radiators , allow engineer to forge or better yet change the energy system to be cool down like lavos since he’s the best pilot . Finally either make R10 gunnery allow shooting artillery in pilot seat or make a crew artillery targeting option . 

I really really would like to regurgitate that the energy change sucks especially due to the fact we have to also consider our builds now since they just pasted in ground missions which I still feel like should be reevaluated to a degree (looking at the corpus defense tileset) . Just make the abilities work on cool downs like lavos please.

Wonderful, the only reason I was looking forward to this update was so I wouldn't have to constantly jump in and out of the Railjack to hack consoles, then back in to destroy the radiators, then back out to repeat the whole process two more times.  I got excited at one point because my gunner did manage to destroy a radiator, but that was only because she was trying to shoot at a turret on the other side of the platform. And since engineers can't forge but still burn revolite for repairs, it means you're still stuck babysitting the ship's forge to make sure the omni's don't run out of ammo. 

I could have sworn somewhere they said that energy would regen over time while piloting, but since that's not a thing I've got to hop out of the pilot seat to either switch to operator or drop an Energy pad, only adding to the Start/Stop gameplay.  Cooldowns would have resolved a majority of the issues, yet here we are again.  

This whole thing feels like Three Steps Forward, Two Steps Back.  It's been improved in some areas, but made more asinine in others. 

The easiest way to fix the "radiators" objective is to simply make it an upfront objective. Like in Corpus Railjack, start with both Raidators exposed and let us shoot them before entering the Point of Interest. Problem solved.

I disagree on the aspect of Crew Ships. You can always pop their engines to disable them (now temporarily) and board them yourself. Your Pilot will take care of the ship in your absence.

2 hours ago, Steel_Rook said:

The easiest way to fix the "radiators" objective is to simply make it an upfront objective. Like in Corpus Railjack, start with both Raidators exposed and let us shoot them before entering the Point of Interest. Problem solved.

I disagree on the aspect of Crew Ships. You can always pop their engines to disable them (now temporarily) and board them yourself. Your Pilot will take care of the ship in your absence.

most people don't want to waste the time boarding crew ships at all, especially when solo and especially when railjack missions already run far longer than on the ground missions. That's why they use the forward artillery to clear them away faster (especially pertinent for the new corpus ships which have an agonizingly long animation until the ship core is vulnerable). Having crew hasn't made killing crew ships better in any way for solo players.

16 hours ago, (PSN)Ravenger-MRIB said:

And since engineers can't forge but still burn revolite for repairs

No they don't. Everyone has their own revolite supply, and your engineers have infinite.

On topic, the update may not have changed solo railjack much for those who had already grinded out and mastered solo railjack, but for my sake I went from having to put out fires constantly to actually being able to play railjack. I would've liked a way to, say, remotely control crew in order to shoot radiators and whatever, but until then Corpus railjack is the more solo friendly option and I just stick to that.

13 hours ago, Zeddypanda said:

No they don't. Everyone has their own revolite supply, and your engineers have infinite.

To test it I've stood with my engineer with my omni out and after they repair the revolite does diminish even without you using it, and while i've not played with other players since the update, it seems like revolite is still shared between you and the npc at least.  As for them burning it out, it may have been a hiccup, but there was an instance of us completely running out of revolite while i was piloting and the engineer just standing there looking at a breach.  Played a bit more yesterday and it's not happened again, so when left alone they do seem generate their own as they do repairs, so that seems to only have been a one time thing. 

On the topic of everything else, I really wish they had given us some more control of the crew other than just telling them to "sit here" and them just running around the ship.  Something like having a command tab which has options for what you want your crew to "do", but gives you command over it.  Such as if you have a gunner, commanding them to use artillery which gives you direct access to said artillery from where ever you might be; or if you have an engineer having them forge a specific thing if you have an open forge.  Something to make you FEEL like you're actually captaining a ship rather than babysitting the crew.

And its still infuriating that the crew ships can only be destroyed one of two ways.  Nothing makes your ship's customization and loadout feel more meaningless then unloading everything at your disposal at a ship, only to have it regen all its health because you didn't use the "Delete This" button.  Artillery should simply the be the quickest means of removing a problem, not the only real viable option.

16 hours ago, Drasiel said:

most people don't want to waste the time boarding crew ships at all, especially when solo and especially when railjack missions already run far longer than on the ground missions. That's why they use the forward artillery to clear them away faster (especially pertinent for the new corpus ships which have an agonizingly long animation until the ship core is vulnerable). Having crew hasn't made killing crew ships better in any way for solo players.

Again, no. I'm a solo player and AI crews have made killing Crew Ships better FOR ME. I can abandon my Railjack in the middle of a firefight and know it won't die before I'm back. It hasn't made killing Crew Ships for people who specifically prefer to kill them with the Forward Artillery - I'm not denying that. However, that's not the only way to kill Crew Ships.

*edit*
Mind you, that's not to say I'm opposed to improvements to the Forward Artillery.

mmm maybe let the player teleport again to the enemy ship/point of interest when using the omni. so you can go back and forth, dont waste so much time, and the action is far more direct.

And let the engineer use the forge to refill anything the ia think we need, maybe even a toogle option from the tactial HUD

2 hours ago, (PSN)Ravenger-MRIB said:

And its still infuriating that the crew ships can only be destroyed one of two ways.  Nothing makes your ship's customization and loadout feel more meaningless then unloading everything at your disposal at a ship, only to have it regen all its health because you didn't use the "Delete This" button.  Artillery should simply the be the quickest means of removing a problem, not the only real viable option.

This was something I found utterly ridiculous when Railjack first came out - you're the same size as at least 8x the size of a crewship, the turret guns on said primitive enemy ship can destroy your vastly more advanced ship, but the turret guns on your vastly more advanced ship can't destroy this primitive Grineer crap.

2 hours ago, Steel_Rook said:

Again, no. I'm a solo player and AI crews have made killing Crew Ships better FOR ME. I can abandon my Railjack in the middle of a firefight and know it won't die before I'm back. It hasn't made killing Crew Ships for people who specifically prefer to kill them with the Forward Artillery - I'm not denying that. However, that's not the only way to kill Crew Ships.

*edit*
Mind you, that's not to say I'm opposed to improvements to the Forward Artillery.

Yes that's why I said most not all. I used to fly out to them via the archwing launcher all the time prior to command. The ship was tanky enough to take the hits while it waited. It just took too much time and waiting on teleports when you needed to kill six of them and the spawn timer was tied to amount of fighters destroyed (which meant you could accidentally summon up to double or more than the required crew ships at one point). I switched to forward artillery after my scanning was done and I've never looked back because it's not a little bit faster it's an order of magnitude faster. For people actually boarding the ships sure having a pilot would be good but a very large portion of this community is geared towards speed and they get left out of in the cold with the way command works.

As a Tangent I'm still massively annoyed that they cut our dome charges for solo down to 2 from 5 especially since our goddamn engineers can't fab up more and now I have extra busywork.

9 minutes ago, Drasiel said:

As a Tangent I'm still massively annoyed that they cut our dome charges for solo down to 2 from 5 especially since our goddamn engineers can't fab up more and now I have extra busywork.

I'm almost positive that this is a bug. I say this, because one of the Engineering Intrinsics allows you to craft more... Which increases your capacity every time you craft. The first time you craft, you get 3. The second time you get 4. Then you get 5. It doesn't seem to be capped. It was also not in the patch notes, so I have to hope that's an unintended side effect of some code change. This almost feels like someone accidentally switched the "total" variable with the "craft" variable when refactoring crafting code.

4 minutes ago, Drasiel said:

It seems DE's thought process was that you're meant to run multiple missions back to back as every time you craft charges you get an extra, same with the other craftables such as revolite and ordinances.  It feels like they're trying to push a particular playstyle while to a small extent punishing others.  I know they've fixed it so that you keep your rewards after each mission, rather than risking losing them if you don't immediately return to a drydock, but things like ammo and sentinel respawns don't replenish when you head into a new mission.  And it seems like glitches and issues just compound and get worse the more missions you run in a row; spawns breaking, objectives not proq'ing, etc.

That latter point about sentinels is another thing that bugs me and just puts another pin into the argument that they're just too weak for new content.  I've been running with a helios prime to scan the new enemies, modded for survivability and the thing is still made out of tissue paper, burning through all its regens in moments in the void storm missions.  To get those back, I need to return to drydock which resets all the munition and craftable bonuses and just feels like a kick in the teeth.  

14 minutes ago, Steel_Rook said:

I'm almost positive that this is a bug. I say this, because one of the Engineering Intrinsics allows you to craft more... Which increases your capacity every time you craft. The first time you craft, you get 3. The second time you get 4. Then you get 5. It doesn't seem to be capped. It was also not in the patch notes, so I have to hope that's an unintended side effect of some code change. This almost feels like someone accidentally switched the "total" variable with the "craft" variable when refactoring crafting code.

I wish it was a bug but I have a sneaking suspicion it's intended because with a full group you get 8 dome charges total which is an "improvement" over the original combined 5. Of course that ignores the fact you have to keep switching out of the artillery seat and that it now punishes solo players. The over crafting is nice, but it only really helps if you run multiple missions and at least for me railjack isn't stable enough to trust it with that right now. :(

12 minutes ago, (PSN)Ravenger-MRIB said:

It seems DE's thought process was that you're meant to run multiple missions back to back as every time you craft charges you get an extra, same with the other craftables such as revolite and ordinances.  It feels like they're trying to push a particular playstyle while to a small extent punishing others.  I know they've fixed it so that you keep your rewards after each mission, rather than risking losing them if you don't immediately return to a drydock, but things like ammo and sentinel respawns don't replenish when you head into a new mission.  And it seems like glitches and issues just compound and get worse the more missions you run in a row; spawns breaking, objectives not proq'ing, etc.

That latter point about sentinels is another thing that bugs me and just puts another pin into the argument that they're just too weak for new content.  I've been running with a helios prime to scan the new enemies, modded for survivability and the thing is still made out of tissue paper, burning through all its regens in moments in the void storm missions.  To get those back, I need to return to drydock which resets all the munition and craftable bonuses and just feels like a kick in the teeth.  

Yeah the sentinel problem is a big one especially vs the corpus because if you get electric procced your sentinel is focked from the unavoidable aoe of the proc. Combined with the forge reset I'm running out of teeth

I don't fully agree with the general assessment, because I do think Command makes certain parts of solo play demonstrably easier, namely dealing with fighters and having the Railjack not explode when doing away crew stuff if one has an engineer assigned. Rank 5 Gunnery crew members are outright better than humans thanks to their aimbotting, and engineers can fix the Railjack for free and defend it pretty decently, all of which I think lets the solo player focus entirely on other stuff.

However, I agree with the assessment that doing away crew stuff remains tedious, because that is something the Command intrinsic doesn't cover at all. There's no designated Away Crew role, nor is there any way to have a crew member target mission objectives or use forward artillery, so the player still has to take care of all that.

Personally, the way I'd change this would be the following:

• First off, allow Pilot and Gunnery crew to target radiators.
  • Second, have Command unlock a series of commands in the tactical menu, which the player can use to order a crew member to do something specific. Example commands could include:
    • Telling a crew member to switch roles, e.g. "Take the helm", "Man the guns", "Guard the deck", etc.
    • Ordering a crew member to perform a specific action, e.g. "Use Forward Artillery on that target", or "Position the Railjack at this target"

The latter could perhaps even be our tenth Intrinsic. Basically, let us order our crew around and have them do stuff more specific than simply existing in predetermined roles, so that if we need them to do something in particular, we should be able to have them do so.

18 hours ago, Teridax68 said:

I don't fully agree with the general assessment, because I do think Command makes certain parts of solo play demonstrably easier, namely dealing with fighters and having the Railjack not explode when doing away crew stuff if one has an engineer assigned. Rank 5 Gunnery crew members are outright better than humans thanks to their aimbotting, and engineers can fix the Railjack for free and defend it pretty decently, all of which I think lets the solo player focus entirely on other stuff.

However, I agree with the assessment that doing away crew stuff remains tedious, because that is something the Command intrinsic doesn't cover at all. There's no designated Away Crew role, nor is there any way to have a crew member target mission objectives or use forward artillery, so the player still has to take care of all that.

Personally, the way I'd change this would be the following:

• First off, allow Pilot and Gunnery crew to target radiators.
  • Second, have Command unlock a series of commands in the tactical menu, which the player can use to order a crew member to do something specific. Example commands could include:
    • Telling a crew member to switch roles, e.g. "Take the helm", "Man the guns", "Guard the deck", etc.
    • Ordering a crew member to perform a specific action, e.g. "Use Forward Artillery on that target", or "Position the Railjack at this target"

The latter could perhaps even be our tenth Intrinsic. Basically, let us order our crew around and have them do stuff more specific than simply existing in predetermined roles, so that if we need them to do something in particular, we should be able to have them do so.

You can actually currently swap their roles mid mission you just click on their role icon in the tactical menu. 

The specifics would be really nice though. 

4 hours ago, Drasiel said:

You can actually currently swap their roles mid mission you just click on their role icon in the tactical menu. 

The specifics would be really nice though. 

Huh, the  more you know! Thank you for the heads-up, I'll be putting that to use more often...

5 minutes ago, Teridax68 said:

Huh, the  more you know! Thank you for the heads-up, I'll be putting that to use more often...

yeah it's pretty useful if you have a gunner who can also pilot since that means if they do get caught by ships the pilot will actually shoot them. Only crewmember you can't change the role of is liches but that's because they are liches.

Archived