Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why do the new railjack characters talk so slow?!?!

-CM-Mecra

With Cy and the new Corpus captains, they all have these weird pauses between their words. It's just like that flame grineer with his speech impediment. I just want CY to spit it out instead of taking 10 seconds to what should only take 5. The speech pattern doesn't invoke seriousness or awe or anything. It's just damn annoying waiting for the character to finish their sentence.

Well, there's this thing called punctuation. It does translate to speech.

You dont ask someone a thing and then ask again not even a breath later, you wait a bit for a response.

When taking in information and giving a heads up to your team, you dont say "TORPEDOSREADYLCOKEDONFIRE!", you give a warning in a way that is comprehensible and doesnt show you are losing your head and kill morale, because the Corpus need all help they can get because, as one of them Fighter pilots said "We are not equiped to take on a Railjack!".

For Cy it works because that's sort of been his thing from the beginning, and I can only imagine the thought process behind the Corpus having a similar inflection was to emphasize that "they're people, but they're very robotic and analytical in their mannerisms and speech."  You can see it with the other named Corpus characters, but I don't think they did that great a job with it this time around.  Not terrible, but it probably could have used a bit more direction and polish, but with the current state of things it's somewhat understandable.

What I really wish they'd stop doing is trying to make every good character a quipping, discount Marvel character.  I was happy for the introduction of Cy because for once we had what seemed like a purely serious character, a Cephalon that you didn't immediately want to mute, and yet with this update it's all; "5 is the worst by the way", "pants crapping has commenced", and "Jamming drones...  Yay".   Humour repeated ad nauseam isn't endearing, it's insufferable. 

2 hours ago, Kaotyke said:

Well, there's this thing called punctuation. It does translate to speech.

You dont ask someone a thing and then ask again not even a breath later, you wait a bit for a response.

When taking in information and giving a heads up to your team, you dont say "TORPEDOSREADYLCOKEDONFIRE!", you give a warning in a way that is comprehensible and doesnt show you are losing your head and kill morale, because the Corpus need all help they can get because, as one of them Fighter pilots said "We are not equiped to take on a Railjack!".

Of course. That's not the issue with the voice lines we're talking about.

There's one explanation that might, if you're willing to be generous, explain it - the Tenno speak 21st century English, and the Corpus have moved way past that primitive patois. So they're picking their way through it and speaking loud and slow because they think we're stupid and/or deaf.

It's not the Corpus who are the problem, it's us. We speak an ancient language that everyone else is like, "Check out this fossil. They speak 'English.'"

Archived