Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

There's a man on high with the Devil in his eye...

ant99999

I figured out I have the mood for a lore speculation today.

So, in 'Sleeping in the cold below' song there are these lines:

There's a man on high

With the Devil in his eye

And a golden hand, I'm told

It can hurt you, it can hold you

He can kick you or console you

When you're sleeping in the cold below

The question is: who is this man? At first I thought: 'He's Ballas obviously'. Ballas surely has a 'Devil' in his eye, as well as a patented Orokin creepy arm with golden bits.

But then, why the hell would a Corpus captain know about any of this? There are literally only two creatures who are not Sentient and who saw Ballas in his new form, and those are our protagonist Tenno and Wally.

If so, was it Wally who told Vala about Ballas? Or alternatively is the man not Ballas altogether, but some other character? Or did DE not think about their lore integrity... again?

So many questions...

I think it's meant to refer to Parvos? He, after all, literally has a Golden hand, and whilst he believes in and fights for workers rights, he does so in a way that gives no quarter for weakness or sentimentality. I doubt Parvos has any time for one unable to work for any reason or who finds purpose outside of the pursuit of wealth, after all - so if you fall outside that system even by accident, he will certainly hurt you.

At the end of the quest, a few things came to my mind.

1 - During the quest, Vala says the monsters like her kind for are enough. it means she knows Corpus is a bunch of rotten people and can't do anything about it or does not care. In the movie Die Hard: with a vengeance, the villain says something similar.

2 - When Parvos extends his hand, it is not kindness. It's a deal. And i don't think he will demand money. I think he will ask for a piece of her soul. Not literally, but the things she will have to do to pay for the favor...they will eat her soul, i'm sure.

Isn't this kind of deal devilish?

3 - Why go back to his Granum void? I guess Parvos decided to use the myth and legends surrounding him as a tool of power.

Oh, it was my time prison, yes, but if i receive petitioners there their superstitions will work for my advantage. And i will ask for their souls in return...

Devil in his eye. Not something about our boogeymen.

2 hours ago, Institute-Marksman said:

I interpreted the "devil in his eye" line a reference to his 'vision' for the Corpus though, not to his eyes directly.

I interpreted that as a reference to the red rubedo gem he swiped and used to found his vision for some reason 😊

Just now, (XBOX)TyeGoo said:

It's alright, I'm still hoping to hear about Ballas in a quest again. Still hoping to be able to 'save' him in the new war. I'll never give up believing in him! 

I only knew what any of this means bc they talked about it in streams, iirc, that It's about Parvus again. 

Now my question is, they also mentioned 'something' regarding 'something' being in U30 teasing queenpins.. Does that mean what the ending scene of the quest implies? 

I got the impression Vala is supposed to be the "first". 

But I could be totally wrong. 

1 minute ago, (XBOX)TyeGoo said:

Yh had the same feeling.. We'll see :) I'm definitely replaying it because fighting with Sevagoth's Ghost on an ocean like scene with music,.. Definitely was something I want to experience again. Was fun :D 

I've replayed it once now, feels like 2-3 times with all the crashing, but it's hard to complain with how much I enjoyed the quest lol. 

Had to get the somachord fragments too, and normally I don't even bother to play somachord tones aboard my orbiter. 

Just now, Pinegulf said:

Someone (thing?) impersonating Parvos?

The possibility has occurred to me, yes, but considering the voice that said Sister sounded very Parvosy and this is leading up to the queenpins, I am so far not expecting any serious twist. Occam's razor suggests it will be straightforward, but I'm still open to the possibility. 

5 minutes ago, Pinegulf said:

Fair enough.

>With the Devil in his eye

Could this be reference to the voice Parvos heard in the coins story?

This conversation makes me think about something though: 

Why NOT show Parvos if it is Parvos? 

Clearly the storyteller is hiding something for narrative purposes... but why? 

What do they not yet want us to see? Has Parvos taken on some sort of more obvious physical transformation since we last saw him, and he escaped from the void and realized his full power? Was it some doppelganger made by Wally and we would have seen the similar backward eyeball thing we see when he is impersonating the operator? (this seems least likely to me, as Wally has a fairly distinct voice).  

Did he sustain some injury? It sounds like Parvos, but it sounds, more gravelly, tired, and drawn out, but we just talked to him after the Deadlock Protocol and he was full of vim and vigor talking about "void, fire, and fury" with conviction and strength in his voice. 

So if it is Parvos like we all assume, what is the lack of a full face reveal hiding, and why does his voice sound strained? Did he use void powers to experiment with what he is going to use to make the queenpins, and it made him more immortal/stronger, but also injured/deformed him in some way? What are we not yet being shown and why? 

2 hours ago, Pinegulf said:

Fair enough.

>With the Devil in his eye

Could this be reference to the voice Parvos heard in the coins story?

I doubt it, I feel like people over analyze things too much. I recall back in high school a teacher who found so many deep meanings in a poem we studied. We finally met the poem author one day and she's quizzing him like mad and he straight up just says "I wasn't implying any of that when I wrote it".

And in this instance I feel that "devil in his eye" just refers to an evil man and "up high" merely means void/heaven/granum void etc so it's merely "there's an evil man watching from the beyond" implying that Parvos is watching from his Granum void and he's making a deal with fallen corpus RJ commanders where upon they sell their soul in return for being resurrected from death and becoming a Queenpin.

If the song is 'modern' - i.e. it was dreamed up recently in-universe, then the devil might be referring to the fact that Parvos is operating a religion/cult that stands in opposition to the predominant religion of the Corpus (relatively speaking) - that being the Order of the Profit, Nef Anyo's religious donation sink. 

I can't imagine Nef's all that tolerant of Granum's take after Deadlock, so he's likely rebranded him a heretic preaching a false creed. A 'Devil', if you will.

Archived