Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Update 30: Call of the Tempestarii Quest Bugs/Feedback Megathread: SPOILERS (Closed)

[DE]CoreyOnline

Had a bug that would happen seemly random. Screen would turn black but it was because i was stuck in some sort of void (ironic) and using unstuck would set me somewhere random. From the 2 times it happened, one put me in the glass next to the pilot seat of a enemy crewship and i was stuck there again and the other time i got reset to the start of the corpus ship we were raiding

I felt that the quest was way too short for a mainline quest, it was over before I even knew it. It felt like it was supposed to lead into a third part that would introduce Corpus Liches to the player, but instead you're just left with that cliff hanger with Parvos until Corpus Liches actually come in a later update. I don't mind shorter quests, but for an "Update 30" quest and it being hyped up as much as it was I expected more.

The quest was easy to understand, except that the Sevagoth's Shadow segment was sorely out of place. There was zero lead up to it, you're just suddenly thrown into an empty room with some enemies made of paper while you listen to Sleeping in the Cold Below. You're given zero instruction as to what to do, you just kind of have to figure out that you can melee enemies and like 1 minute in you finally get a prompt that you can use abilities too. I'm all for letting you "practice" Warframes, but this entire segment felt like an excuse to make you listen to the song and still have something to do at the same time, rather than finding a more elegant way to include the song in the quest. It gets dull very quickly beating up endless fodder, and then you're warped back to the ship like nothing happened. Overall a ham-fisted way to insert a song segment into the quest, when it all could've been blended seamlessly into regular gameplay. Imagine if the sea shanty played while you were actually on your ship, instead of an empty void with training dummies. That being said Sleeping in the Cold Below is a great song, it just could have been incorporated better.

Finally, from a lore standpoint, destroying Sevagoth's body immediately after you find it makes no sense. I get that it was supposed to be like a viking funeral, but it's like you go through all the effort to find his body only to immediately destroy it. Just because Cy said there was "barely any energy left" doesn't mean he was too far gone to be saved. We could have rebuilt him and added him to our arsenal so he could live once more a la Excalibur Umbra. Instead it felt like he was destroyed specifically so we'd have a reason to go farm for his parts elsewhere. I miss when we would get all of a Warframe's components from the quest alone, like Limbo, Mirage, and Umbra.

Overall, the quest was fun and showcased some of the best bits of Railjack and give us some nice more lore nuggets about the Old War as well as introducing Vala and hinting at her future. Some more positive, mixed and negative thoughts:

Positive:

• The music, atmosphere and tone were great and Cy continues to be a cool cephalon
  • Having a "try-before-you-buy" section where you experience a new Warframe's abilities yourself is a really good touch!
  • While the quest was short, the lack of filler was greatly appreciated: no booting back to the orbiter or waiting for inbox messages, just one long continous Railjack mission flow, that's fantastic
  • Having a "new" Railjack mission - Spy - introduced this way is fun, too
  • Getting the Tempestarii skin was a surprise - but a very welcome one

Mixed:

• Difficulty: I understand that quests cannot cater to veteran players in terms of difficulty, but maybe one day, we can get a "Steel Path" toggle for more difficult quests...
  • The spy segment really felt like it should've been on an Orokin (Lua) tileset instead of a Corpus ship - but I guess that's harder to implement at the moment and it worked well enough
  • Short: would've been fun to actually square off with Vala's ship a bit more with our own Railjack

Negative:

• Abrupt end to the first mission: why are we fleeing? I know it's part of the difficulty discussion, but with a reasonable Railjack, it doesn't feel like we're outgunned or anything. Maybe have some technobabble, have Vala's ship shoot a shipkiller beam or have a super-violent void storm that gives us a good reason for bailing and make it so much more satisfying to blow up Vala's capital ship with the Tempestarii
  • The shadow/sea shanty scene was very abrupt - I get the intent that it's the shadow "watching over" our knocked out frame, but only realised that afterwards. Having a few extra hints (e.g. see our unconscious frame in the shadow sea scene for a moment) would've made it a bit more natural

I'm experiencing a specific crash when in the Granum Void scene Vala looks up at the Golden Hand. I cannot seem to be able to fix it myself (I've checked if drivers are up to date, hard disk seems fine too). It seems that everything runs well but on that exact frame it crashes :\ 

Bug report, I'm afraid. Completed the quest, returned to the dojo. Changed loadout in navigation, and selected Maroo's quest from the navigation bar. The game then jumped me back into the start of the Tempestarii quest, only this time as I played through it got stuck on the Sevagoth music segment with no enemies and two shadows, while the song played. It timed out and returned me to the railjack as expected, and then almost immediately dropped me back into the shadow segment, this time with no progress whatsoever. I had to abort the mission to get out.
Edit: this is on PC

Warframe-14-04-2021-11-07-39.png

14 hours ago, Tombsite said:

TL:DR There's a lot of potential but to little time is put into making tings make logical sense.... or am I being to hard on DE here? Does my criticism seem valid or pedantic? 

Thank you for writing it out like that :) I really couldn't put my finger on the odd feeling I had and much less am I able to put it into words. Def valid, I just stopped looking for logic quite some time ago
Edit: Only thing I found highly illogical was right at the end... we're shooting Sevagoth back into the void to later on.. uhm.. recover the pieces?^^ Other than collecting a new frame I see no motivation to do so.

I would like to see either a alternate version of Tempestarii (the OG version, pre-voidstorm disapperence) or a button to disable the "void ghost" visual effects for the railjack skin.

Other than this I have no feedback to provide, that haven't been said before.

For my part, I enjoyed playing the quest.
However:
- the resource collection in the first mission is, shall we say, simplistic (ok my railjack is pretty well put together, that could be justified for an unmodded ship)
- I find that Vala's appearance in game is rather caricatured, she is less beautiful than in the trailer.
- during the phase where you have to shoot the countermeasures, the key to press which is indicated on the screen does not correspond to anything (for my part I had to press the key 8). When I used by chance the main shot key (mapped to "C") it worked. Here there is a bug to fix.

Just a wish:
- Is it possible to make the Tempestarii look like a railjack ephemera? In the sense that we can apply this nice texture to the other railjack skins and not only on the original railjack.

Otherwise, great job done, nice work DE.

To start the quest the Codex states that you need to buy a Railjack Cephalon Blueprint from the market.  Of course you can't actually buy one from the market, you have to get it from your dock in the dojo - but the game won't tell you this. 

Pretty frustrating way to start off today's session!

Seeing is how we have 3 slots for weapon/frames/companions appearance, Why not have 3 slots for RJ. 
I got some sick combos in mind but would rather not waste my current setup.

Edit: I would also second the request of having the Tempestarii void halo as an ephemera for other RJ Skins.

Thank you

• TYPE: In-Game
  • DESCRIPTION: when starting the quest it will not put my husband with other players.  If he tries to launch it tells him it is a solo mission only despite letting me join others when playing the same part of the quest.
  • EXPECTED RESULT: To be able to do this quest with others as intended
  • OBSERVED RESULT: solo play which keeps me from being able to complete the mission at all as the railjack needs to be repaired while collecting resources
  • REPRODUCTION RATE: every time

13 hours ago, Tombsite said:

Cy immediately informs me that "Gunfight not an option". WHY? Why is that not an option? Is there something special about her ship? It looks pretty standard to me. In my quest for the Nautilus sentinel and the Penta Carmine I have blown up more than 30 ships of that size in volatile missions, and de-crewed at least trice that number in exterminate missions. I am a god damn space ninja in a god damn Orokin warship and I have to run? WHY? Give me a reason to fear this woman.

[snip]

And despite what we learn later she does not immediately engage the ship but calls home to daddy Parvos to request permission to use the big guns.

big guns. You wanted some reason to fear her, there they are. Always listen to Cy.

- How easy was it to understand the new quest and what you have to do to succeed?- 

well apart from the ghost wants us to find his body plot and some space freeze brain damaged corpus Ahab, that got void stormed to granum space in the end, were she might awake some void powers on her own, there was nothing to follow... all in all you used stale and run down tropes noone older then 30 really cares about.

As for what i had to do... erm... nothing really. this is a visual novelle, not a playable quest imo.

Would have been better to have Drusus narrate that with some screenshots... would have been MUCH more enjoyable...

-What was it like having Railjack involved in a narrative quest?-

on paper amazing but here, there was nothing to actually enage with so for this one you'll get an E for Effort at best...

-Thoughts on gameplay, difficulty, visuals, or in-game guidance?-

Gameplay: not existant

Difficulty: Nursery

Visuals: its Railjack istn't it?

In Game Guidance: love me some Cy in the morning

-Anything else that comes to mind!-

Well this is your worst quest yet.

And what makes it so infuriating is the wasted potential it had just from its setup alone.

You know, weather magicians, void storms etc... what you did with it is worse than any 70's trash Sci Fi  / horror you can find imo

I know you (had to) shortened it so maybe, giving time and resources you could revisit it at some point and release an directors cut.

It has soooooooooo much potential to be the most jaw dropping, awe striking, goosebumbs producing story in all of WF... one can dream right?... RIGHT????!!!!

The quest was... light. A bit of lore, a good song, and that's about it.

Spoiler

Intercept Corpus shipping convoy
Decent introduction. Having a well upgraded Railjack and 47 Intrinsics out of 50 may make the last part way less threatening than expected... or is it that i simply stood away from the Tempestarii dealing with the Corpus?

Infiltrate Corpus archives
I didn't expect to directly follow with another Empyrean mission, not quite pleased there.
Same feedback as with Railjack Retrofit : it's a Spy mission with an (unneeded) Railjack introduction. Moreover, the callback through Omni at extraction, which works in Corpus Empyrean, does not here.
Besides that, not much against using Spy to get the lore stocked at Corpus.

Signal the Tempestarii
I expected the Tempestarii to be quite more threatening during the evasion phase. The lightning announcing the Tempestarii's arrival was actually damaging; the hostile ship threat was barely noticeable.
The song is nice, but i didn't get how relevant the Shadow gameplay part was. I grasped that Vala seeked revenge against the Tempestarii, but i didn't feel any weight to it as Corpus and Tenno are enemies to begin with. Did it happen before she joined the Corpus? Was the Tempestarii already lost in the Void? Are there any circumstances that would make that lore less trivial than "the bad girl is mad that the good guy screwed her"?
The following Beam generator and "Skirmish" objectives were quite light compared to the usual Corpus Empyrean mission. It may have been more interesting with more Vala lines about those objectives, so the quest could actually serve as an introduction to Corpus Empyrean.
The ending, from the swallowing of Vala's ship on, was nice.

Overall, the quest felt quite empty. I'm not against mini-quests such as Chimera Prologue, which are almost only about lore. What contributed to the emptiness here are the "action" phases that, while not contributing much to the story -- apart liberating the Tempestarii from Vala's grasp -- actually contained barely anything noteworthy : too few enemies, too little threat... I may have been (too) well prepared for this quest, but i think even usual missions of the same level have more teeth.

I would enjoy more 'short and sweet' quests like this, it was to the point although the arena fight while  fine i guess could have been done without and instead try to bake that very nice shanty into another part of the quest still I enjoyed it for what it was.

My only question is..can we get the Tempestarii's main weapon? I liked the slow homing missiles but they'd need a bit more punch for players.

when you have to use the Ordinance on the Corpus Capital Ship if you don't have any Dome Charges, you're softlocked because you can craft any on the Tempestarii - Great update so far! loving it so much except for this softlock having been a buzz kill

I really like the character design of Vala. She looks badass, parts of her voice lines are quite good, although I expected her to be a bit better in terms of talking speed than Sargas. Her theme song is absolutely stunning and I listened to it up and down for many hours now. The chorus is awesome as hell.

I would really like to see her becoming a recurring character, somewhat of a Railjack rival. Shows up, causes trouble, retreats. Maybe even shows up, sees the need to ally with player, then disappears. Something like random events in RJ missions, similar to "change of plans, kill all hostiles, love you, Lotus". I think her character design offer much potential while she doesn't really look like a villain. The backstory bit told during the quest sort of paints her as a relatable character rather than another dumb Grineer or profit-seeking Corpus.

It was certainly enjoyable, and it exceeded my expectations as a Warframe quest. Obviously, it's not a main cinematic quest so I don't really expect the length or "cinematic-ness" of a quest like The War Within.

One thing I enjoyed was how we were able to play as Sevagoth's shadow. I'm hoping it becomes a regular thing in future Warframe quests where we can "preview" the Warframe (or some part of it) in gameplay.

The void storm backgrounds for the missions were stunning; that was some amazing art. I liked being in the railjack for the quest but I expected it to be my own, not a swapped out version.

When the tempestarii showed up, I honestly don’t think I saw it. It was way too camouflaged for me. The mission ended automatically while I was still looking for it.

Unfortunately, overall the story missed the mark for me. Nothing about it was clear. It felt like there were a few too many story gaps. It stood out and when I finished I wasn’t captivated to keep playing.

Also, who sang to us? The corpus commander, the ship, the shadow? That whole scene was.. underwhelming for me which I feel bad about; it’s clear that was supposed to be a gift to us players and a cool moment. But my opinion stands, I didn’t like that part.The song did not fit with the fighting going on.Those should have been two separate scenes. I also didn’t care for the song. The combat wasn’t fantastic either. The 2 skill flew me off the edge of the platform more than once and I had no idea what 3 did. The melee felt slow and very short range too. That test drive experience could’ve been better, I’m less excited to get this new Warframe.

Also—after I finished the quest, I logged out. I would’ve tried to farm for the new Warframe but that info wasn't available in game and I didn’t want to look it up. I know it would take under 2 mins but I wasn’t feeling it. I wasn’t excited and not having that info handy was an easy excuse to not continue playing. A farming index really needs to be added in game. 

4 minutes ago, SombraHookier said:

Something like random events in RJ missions, similar to "change of plans, kill all hostiles, love you, Lotus". I think her character design offer much potential while she doesn't really look like a villain. The backstory bit told during the quest sort of paints her as a relatable character rather than another dumb Grineer or profit-seeking Corpus.

If we ever get the equivalent of Invasions in Railjack, it'd be super fun to have her as your Corpus "mission control" for that mission, but opposing the players if you help the Grineer - "can't let you do that, Tenno". She looks and sounds like a fine rival character, basically our Railjack Alad V - sometimes helpful, sometimes hostile.

The quest is a precision-engineered tool for making my internal armchair editors and writers all shouty.

There's a balance to be struck: you definitely don't want quests to have padding (I'm still putting off going back to Glast Gambit, due of course to the stretch where someone fell asleep on the paste key to put in Index stages; I hope they're sleeping better now. Crunch is bad for multiple reasons, but sleep deprivation is a big one!). But there's also such a thing as not giving quests time to develop and breathe, and this one's that.

Vala seems great, but she gets nothing to do; practically speaking there's only intro and exit. There's no middle act arc to cement her and her ship as something against which gunfight is not an option, to make causing her exit satisfying. And that's a shame!

Good song; should have had a better showcase.

18 hours ago, Oreades said:

No UI
No damage feedback
and only sparse "press X to use an ability" suggestions(?)

Joke's on them, I played the quest with the HUD disabled anyways (to get the cinematic experience) and only had to reenable it for the random "go to this random point in space" moments. I did have to replay to get the Mandachord fragments, as I only heard they existed after completing the quest. These were atleast way better than the Sacrifice fragments, where I had to replay it 6 times just to find them all.

On 2021-04-13 at 2:30 PM, [DE]CoreyOnline said:

How easy was it to understand the new quest and what you have to do to succeed?

I felt the quest was easy to understand overall. The brief periods where I was meant to wait until the next stage didn't leave me waiting for too long.

• What was it like having Railjack involved in a narrative quest?

I think there are two parts to this: I liked seeing the Tempestarii, I think a ghost ship makes perfect sense in Warframe with Railjack, and I think it was fun to interact with and operate it. As for my own Railjack... it was kinda there. I don't feel like my own Railjack was particularly utilized, as the first mission was very basic, the second mission was mostly just a ground Spy mission, and the third mission had me mostly out of my ship as well. Even though the Tempestarii itself is vital to the quest, I feel like I could've run all of it without my own Railjack.

• Thoughts on gameplay, difficulty, visuals, or in-game guidance?
  • Most of the gameplay was something I'd experienced before, with the exception of the segment where I got to control Sevagoth's Shadow: I think that the idea of temporary playing a quest's warframe is a brilliant way of showcasing their gameplay and power, and thus give players a taste of the frame they can then farm or buy. In practice, though, the Shadow's abilities weren't really well-explained enough to get a good impression: its 1 made sense as it was basically just Mag's Pull, but its 2 felt like there was something more than just a dash, even though it still just felt like a dash. The 3 was the worst offender though, because with a complete lack of indication of what the ability did, and the only official description on the site listing it as "a harrowing curse", all it looked and felt like was casting some circle on the ground. With a bit more polish, and a bit of explanation of what the abilities do, that segment could be the perfect way of showcasing new warframes in the future.
  • The difficulty was easy for me as both my frame and Railjack are maxed out. As such, I feel like the quest may be properly balanced for players on the other end of the power spectrum, especially as the section when I was controlling the Tempestarii felt just right.
  • The visuals of the Railjack Retrofit are stunning, and the backdrop for the first mission was no exception. The Tempestarii looks incredible, and I very much like Vala Glarios's design. If I had to nitpick, I'd say that the rising smoke in the Shadow section overlapped a bit with its 3, but really, the entire quest was full of gorgeous visuals from start to finish, well done.
  • In-game guidance I felt was good. The only times where there was no indication of what to do were times where I felt I clearly just had to sit tight.
  • Anything else that comes to mind!

My main complaint about the quest is that it's incredibly short, and heavily underutilizes the character of Vala Glarios: we're given a very brief introduction of her in the first mission, then see her equally briefly in the third mission as well, before sending her off to the Granum Void. She has some motivation against the Tempestarii, but otherwise feels like a really compelling character that could've been fleshed out much more in this quest, even if we will likely see her again in the future.

On the flipside, one aspect of this quest that I really liked was the segment where I got to control Sevagoth's Shadow. As a player who prefers to farm frames rather than buy them, I very much appreciated the little showcase I got, as it gave me a taste of what to aim for. Ideally, I'd very much like being able to have this sort of taster for new warframes before farming them, so that I know what to look forward to. There should be a bit more indication of what each ability does, but with that done the segment should be well worth replicating in some form for future frame releases.

As a side note, it bears mentioning that the new song is terrific. Kudos to the music department on another song that's almost impossible to resist singing!

Archived