Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Railjack Crewships can't defeat each other and that sucks

DSMK2

Grineer and Corpus crewships are functionally invincible unless you go board them and blow their reactors, or hit them with your forward artillery once their hard-counter defenses are down. If Railjack had NPC faction vs faction combat, once all the fighters on both sides are inevitably gone, they would be locked in a stalemate. Lemme go through what I've observed:

Corpus Crewships:

• Security nodes that prevent boarding
  • Completely invulnerable-where-its-facing drone shields

Grineer Crewships

• Shield submodules, while one is active, the crewship is invulnerable to all attacks... That aren't attacking the submodule. Also prevent boarding like Corpus security nodes.
  • Fighter healing bubbles? What is this technology?

Both Crewships

• Recover from from zero to a quarter health + restore some engine capability
  • Low level crewships can get HP reduced to 0 due to being in a Void Storm for too long, but ultimately remain "alive", with little effects to the crew. 

These points pain me because the means of defeating both ships are limited to deliberate player actions; they've been designed against the player, but not against other spacefaring factions. They're practically like the strangely powerful Corpus Nullifiers in being hard counters to players.

• Why can't we simply just reverse engineer their shielding technology? They're stupid strong compared to our own Railjack shields that are almost non-existent during combat. Screw Lavan/Vidar/Zekti/Sigma, gimme dem Corpus/Grineer brand shields! Can a Balor Fomorian even kill one?
  • Same for Corpus crewship security nodes that prevent boarding actions, what do these do exactly? As a technology in-universe?
  • What exactly are these healing bubbles relative to Grineer technology? Disregarding the need for skilled pilots... Doesn't this end up going against the Grineer faction's expendable clone philosophy?
  • If we can't simply destroy the ship, why can't we shoot the ship full of holes and kill the crew? Like... Killing crew to make the ship increasingly less responsive to hull breaches.
  • Forward artillery upgrades are meaningless because almost all crewship types can be oneshot (assuming you killed off the shields and hit the engine weakpoints). They don't function at all like OP get out of jail cards for their supposed power, charge time, and charge animation. I mean, they can even be somehow blocked by Corpus crewship shield drones.

I'm assuming Crewships are like this since they're reskins. New, bigger, tougher, ship classes simply don't exist due to Railjack's small scope, along with time and resource allotment to the game-mode.

Railjack in the Warframe Universe is solidly cool to me. But when I think about the crewships I'm required to kill, I think the game-mode is hampered by being designed in baby steps. The newest update seems to an attempt to solve the content island problem between Railjack and Warframe, when in actuality, Railjack needs to turn into its own continent with a kickass intercontinental tunnel connecting the two.

6 hours ago, (XBOX)HAPPYHapyJ0YJoy said:

I really just wish crew ships had a "structural integrity" where they can take a relatively massive amount of damage after hull is depleted, but they can still be destroyed by conventional weaponry.

I can imagine "structural integrity" being implemented with a system like Banshee's sonar. Crewship gets past an HP threshold, glowing weakpoints appear on specific parts of the crewship.

To add to that, I'd add an additional stat: "Crew", they're crewships after all. The amount of crew still living would determine the duration of the weakspots mentioned earlier. So in addition to the "structural integrity" weakspots, you'd get smaller moving weakspots that represent the crew traveling around the ship. Shoot those to reduce the ship's recovery speed.

• Each spot "killed" has a chance of hitting the pilot or gunner, and will be represented under XP "Pilot/Gunner/Crew" killed
  • All crew members killed will increase the required crewship kill count
  • Higher level crewships have faster moving weakspots or weakspots that phase in and out around the crewship.
  • Shoot at each spot individually or use ordinance to take out a bunch at once.
  • Can send crewmembers(!) to an empty ship for an allied ship in the battlespace

And all those appear once HP is low, representing the ships inability to protect their contents due to sustained hull/armor damage.

===

Yeah, I realize at this point it's a suggestion, but existing game mechanics inspire ideas :d

8 hours ago, (XBOX)HAPPYHapyJ0YJoy said:

I really just wish crew ships had a "structural integrity" where they can take a relatively massive amount of damage after hull is depleted, but they can still be destroyed by conventional weaponry.

If the value is set high enough artillery and boarding are still useful, but not *mandatory*.

If you want that, the armor needs to be adjusted to the Gokstad Officer level in Veil (with the DR of 95% from non-RJ weapons).

Archived