Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Teshin's Bad Grammar

Sevek7

I've been hearing this for a while and ignoring it, but it's actually starting to get on my nerves due to the repetition. I play steel path alerts quite often, and one of Teshin's initial messages is grammatically... well... wrong.

"These foes deserve your respect. Honor them with quick deaths, and I with your victory." (Source: Teshin/Quotes | WARFRAME Wiki | Fandom)

He should say "Honor me with your victory." It's not correct to say "Honor I with your victory." 

• 1 month later...
17 minutes ago, (XBOX)PlayerOnBLAKE said:

Youre right but he doesnt say that

Right, he says 

"Honor them with quick deaths, and I with your victory."

Which is not correct. He should say

"Honor them with quick deaths, and me with your victory."

Because the first case would only be correct if it was correct to say "Honor I with your victory." 

1 hour ago, (XBOX)PlayerOnBLAKE said:

Both are correct

No, they are not both correct. Here's a similar example:

1) "My friend and I are going to the bar this evening."

2) "My friend and me are going to the bar this evening."

1) is correct, 2) is incorrect, because you would say "I am going to the bar" not "Me am going to the bar." 

In case you're still confused, here's a couple of links on the correct use of I / Me:

I vs. Me (Review) - The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation (grammarbook.com) 

"John and I" or "John and Me": The Rules Made Simple (publoft.com)

When to Use I or Me in a Sentence (yourdictionary.com)

2 hours ago, (XBOX)PlayerOnBLAKE said:

None of those are representative of the quote

What? Yes they are. The whole point is to know when to use I, and when to use Me.

Both are used to refer to oneself. I is used when the self is the subject of the sentence ("I caught the ball") whereas Me is used when the self is the object of the sentence ("The ball hit me").

Teshin's quote is "Honor them with quick deaths, and I with your victory,"

Here I is an object, it is the thing being honored. Since it's the object, it should be Me

Yes, please.

This first few times I heard this sentence, wtihout reading the subtitles, I could not figure out what Teshin was supposed to tell me?

"Eye with your victory"? Some odd saying I never heard before?

"Aye with your victory"? Aye aye captain win a lot arrr?!?

I still don't understand how I'll honor Teshin when I kill some poor corpus with slightly better shields.

On 2021-05-19 at 9:02 PM, 16Bitman said:

"Eye with your victory"? Some odd saying I never heard before?

"Aye with your victory"? Aye aye captain win a lot arrr?!?

These are hilarious :D

Pirate captain Teshin is now 100% how I will interpret this grammatical error.

I always interpreted it as a quaint phrasing of "Honor them with quick deaths, and I [will honor you] with your victory". The thought to interpret it differently didn't even cross my mind because the grammar would have been so wrong.

So if the intention really was "Honor them with quick deaths, and [honor me] with your victory", then yes, the grammar is totally messed up. "I" is not a valid replacement for "me" in this case, and it should be changed.

11 hours ago, Her_Lovely_Tentacles said:

I always interpreted it as a quaint phrasing of "Honor them with quick deaths, and I [will honor you] with your victory". The thought to interpret it differently didn't even cross my mind because the grammar would have been so wrong.

So if the intention really was "Honor them with quick deaths, and [honor me] with your victory", then yes, the grammar is totally messed up. "I" is not a valid replacement for "me" in this case, and it should be changed.

I thought about your first case, it almost sounds like it could work, but in the end it doesn't since the sentence begins with an imperative. I don't think we can realistically expect them to change the voiceline now, since it may require a voice actor who has moved on to other projects. Nevertheless it might be a good idea for them to bring someone with writing experience on board to proof-read some of these things before mistakes are made. For those of us who find the mistake grating to hear, I think the best idea is to come up with our own interpretation.

Personally, I'm going with the swashbuckling pirate captain Teshin: "Honor them with quick deaths, and aye with your victory!"

• 1 month later...
On 2021-04-18 at 7:59 AM, Sevek7 said:

Honor them with quick deaths, and I with your victory.

It is correct.

Just like " It was I, DIO! ". 

Its just an "old" way of speaking.  Fancy.  Cool.  You just failed to comprehend.

3 hours ago, Kainosh said:

It is correct.

Just like " It was I, DIO! ". 

Its just an "old" way of speaking.  Fancy.  Cool.  You just failed to comprehend.

You're right that "It was I" can be used in some cases and is considered more formal. However, it can only be used when "I" is still acting as the subject of the sentence. For example, you can say "It was I who did the deed" or "Who did the deed? It was I!". Here I is still the subject in both cases. This is called the Nominative Case (Nominative case - Wikipedia). Quote from wikipedia: "Generally, the noun "that is doing something" is in the nominative." 

So, you would be right if Teshin was the one doing the honoring. But he's not, he's the one being honored. Therefore, he's still the object of the sentence and should use the object version of I, me

Let me know if this is still confusing.

21 minutes ago, Sevek7 said:

if this is still confusing

You being so picky on that subject is more confusing to me than Teshin's way of speaking.

Can't you just treat it like some videogame fiction dialect?   Its ok.  Game is not an educational program. And we all understood perfectly what He said.

1 hour ago, Kainosh said:

You being so picky on that subject is more confusing to me than Teshin's way of speaking.

Can't you just treat it like some videogame fiction dialect?   Its ok.  Game is not an educational program. And we all understood perfectly what He said.

Did you read the thread at all? The "fiction dialect" is exactly the solution that I and others found above. 

Reviving the thread two months after the problem is solved in order to call me "picky" doesn't seem very constructive.

3 hours ago, Sevek7 said:

Did you read the thread at all?

Nah I actually didn't..... 

It was just there on the 1st page, so i thought it was recently posted.   Surprising..... I thought there would be much more sound feedback.  

Archived