Jump to content

Best mmorpg to play on ps4?


(PSN)lydon123

Recommended Posts

I really want to try and get in to a fantasy based mmo but struggling to decide which one is best to invest time in to.

I recently downloaded Elder scrolls online only to find the store to be disgustingly greedy and no way to properly trade items for crowns in game, like warframe for example. I know you can trade gold for crowns, in a sense via gifting but there seems to be no actual trade system. The monetization in eso is really not to my taste and it's clear to me that going with the subscription would be the best way to enjoy the game. However, locking inventory space, races, classes and dlc behind a pay wall or monthly subscription is a big no no by my book. I mean warframe techniqually gives us dlc for free every update. No subscription needed. 

I've played neverwinter and thats pretty good but once I hit max level there were campaigns, some taking months to complete. I sort of lost interest as the progression felt really stale after hitting level 70.

I don't mind investing time in to a game but it has to be worth it. Warframe, I feel has always been worth the time investment (most of the time) to farm sets to trade for plat and it's fun to play.

So which mmo, if any, are worth the time investment on ps4? 

Tera, neverwinter, final fantasy, skyforge, bless unleashed? 

Or are they all monitized to hell with grind walls that sap the fun out of it.

Maybe i should just stick to warframe and skyrim. At least on skyrim I don't have to subscribe to get infinite storage and I don't have to pay 20 quid or so to play as an imperial.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ffxiv really caught my attention.

It's one of this decade's gaming best comeback story (the other one is no man's sky). the devs seems to be really into this, they're way past doing it just for the money. every updates seems to be always critically welcomed. And they're japanese, so you know that they'll be really professional about timelines and such -at least there won't be any missing codex entries.

The only thing that stops me from starting now is it's a paid service. Which can be kinda irresponsible for our economical situation right now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, minininja77 said:

If they are not willing to pay for ESO, FFXIV is off the table,

the only thing that comes to mind is that either Tera or the other loli game that game out recently something impact

We'll just agree to disagree. ffxiv is simply a different creature than eso. It offers different stuff, and charges for different stuff.

Definitely not a loli game that's specifically engineered to target weebs and milk their money. Yes there are japanese cute stuff in there, but definitely not created for that intention.

5 hours ago, Loza03 said:

Genshin Impact? Is that an MMO? I thought it was a Gacha Open World adventure game similar to Breath of the Wild.

It's gatcha alright.

I'm just struggling to understand why botw can't be mmo? Most mmos are open world adventure games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Soy77 said:

It's gatcha alright.

I'm just struggling to understand why botw can't be mmo? Most mmos are open world adventure games.

Most MMO's - Massively Multiplayer Online games - are open-world adventures, but that doesn't make all open-world adventures MMO's.  BOTW, for example, is most certainly not, because it isn't a multiplayer game and you're never online. To be any sort of MMO you need to fit those two criteria, and to be a true MMO, you'd need to be, well, massively multiplayer. 

Warframe, for example, would qualify as an MMO-lite like Monster Hunter would, as it has play features and a game structure similar to an MMO, but only features multiplayer gameplay more similar to a traditional 4-person co-op dungeon crawler/horde shooter. In other words, it's got the structure of an MMO, but it lacks the first 'M'. Genshin Impact possibly meets those criteria.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Loza03 said:

Most MMO's - Massively Multiplayer Online games - are open-world adventures, but that doesn't make all open-world adventures MMO's.  BOTW, for example, is most certainly not, because it isn't a multiplayer game and you're never online. To be any sort of MMO you need to fit those two criteria, and to be a true MMO, you'd need to be, well, massively multiplayer. 

Warframe, for example, would qualify as an MMO-lite like Monster Hunter would, as it has play features and a game structure similar to an MMO, but only features multiplayer gameplay more similar to a traditional 4-person co-op dungeon crawler/horde shooter. In other words, it's got the structure of an MMO, but it lacks the first 'M'. Genshin Impact possibly meets those criteria.

Just want to make it clear that I was referring to the open world adventure genre. instead of the mmo nature.

It's easy to assume that people are stupid in these forums, but i definitely know what "massive" and "multi-players" mean when i wrote that post. Just fyi.

==========

With that out of the way, so you thought genshin is an offline solo adventure game like botw?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Soy77 said:

 

With that out of the way, so you thought genshin is an offline solo adventure game like botw?

Yes, more or less. I've never played it, and everything I've seen of it has been from a solo perspective.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Soy77 said:

ffxiv really caught my attention.

It's one of this decade's gaming best comeback story (the other one is no man's sky). the devs seems to be really into this, they're way past doing it just for the money. every updates seems to be always critically welcomed. And they're japanese, so you know that they'll be really professional about timelines and such -at least there won't be any missing codex entries.

The only thing that stops me from starting now is it's a paid service. Which can be kinda irresponsible for our economical situation right now.

I understand the paid service models. It is an expensive proccess to maintain mmo servers but money is an issue for many of us right now and a consideration when trying to find the best mmo. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, minininja77 said:

If they are not willing to pay for ESO, FFXIV is off the table,

the only thing that comes to mind is that either Tera or the other loli game that game out recently something impact

Never said I was not willing to pay a monthly subscription. The in game store in eso however, makes me not want to pay a thing in to it. For now, i'm just playing through for free to see how it goes. If an mmo is fair in its buisiness model than i'm happy to invest. 1650 crowns a month allowance is a bit low imo considering most things in the store is 2000 plus.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, o0Despair0o said:

Don't even get me started on map DLCs.

"Here's all of Tamriel, for only 50 bucks per square centimeter".

I did a rough estimate of how much it would cost to buy all the dlc in eso. Roughly £250 or $346 if american. If you are an eso plus member, it would take about 2.5 years to save up the crowns you get monthly to buy all the dlc. 

That's just dlc. There are mounts, housing, inventory slots, bank slots, character slots, pets and lots lots more to burn money on. Yeesh.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, (PSN)lydon123 said:

That's just dlc. There are mounts, housing, inventory slots, bank slots, character slots, pets and lots lots more to burn money on. Yeesh.

I have been playing ESO since launch, I have never bought a mount from the crown store or a house for that matter you get a free one from one of the DLCs and there are plenty of free event mounts. The inventory space is never a issue so long as you are a sub bank slots are never a issue its the crafting bag that they get you on if you do not sub but that is a east work around with character mules, the game is good but getting caught up in the crown store is ones own fault no one else's, also to get all the DLC that has come out over the years is something like 100 US now

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, (PSN)lydon123 said:

Never said I was not willing to pay a monthly subscription. The in game store in eso however, makes me not want to pay a thing in to it. For now, i'm just playing through for free to see how it goes. If an mmo is fair in its buisiness model than i'm happy to invest. 1650 crowns a month allowance is a bit low imo considering most things in the store is 2000 plus.

You are looking at the crown store from the perspective of a subscription player where as they are setting it up to make money off of the F2P player base, ESO may have a subscription plan but many people do not sub as you can do everything in the game with out paying a penny so they like DE they have to make money some how so they have the crown store and I will not disagree that many of the items are high priced but if you have the "I gotta have it now" attitude well then thats how they get you to buy crowns. I have both the banker and the merchant (two of the highest priced items on the store) I paid real cash for neither just saved my monthly crowns up. Also subscription players get sale prices in the stores that non subs do not, you as a free trial player do not see them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, minininja77 said:

I have been playing ESO since launch, I have never bought a mount from the crown store or a house for that matter you get a free one from one of the DLCs and there are plenty of free event mounts. The inventory space is never a issue so long as you are a sub bank slots are never a issue its the crafting bag that they get you on if you do not sub but that is a east work around with character mules, the game is good but getting caught up in the crown store is ones own fault no one else's, also to get all the DLC that has come out over the years is something like 100 US now

Being a newer player, I would not know about mounts given in events but it is good to know. 

Considering that I did not come up with the prices for the crown store, it's hard to see how its somehow my own fault for getting caught up on the crown store. If by caught up you mean surprised at the prices they are asking for then yeah i'm pretty caught up, for sure.

Not sure where you are getting that price from unless you mean the eso plus giving you access to all dlc which you technically do not own and once your subscription runs out, the dlc is locked again until you renew. The cost of all dlc is much more than 100 dollers and I know this because I was literally in the crown store last night working out the costs for everything on the dlc page. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, minininja77 said:

You are looking at the crown store from the perspective of a subscription player where as they are setting it up to make money off of the F2P player base, ESO may have a subscription plan but many people do not sub as you can do everything in the game with out paying a penny so they like DE they have to make money some how so they have the crown store and I will not disagree that many of the items are high priced but if you have the "I gotta have it now" attitude well then thats how they get you to buy crowns. I have both the banker and the merchant (two of the highest priced items on the store) I paid real cash for neither just saved my monthly crowns up. Also subscription players get sale prices in the stores that non subs do not, you as a free trial player do not see them.

I was looking at the store as a f2p player and considered trying the subscription but i'm happy playing through the story for now as is. No point comparing the two companies really because it's two very different products but de definitely handles the buisness model side of things better.

You can't do everything in eso like you can in warframe though. You have to pay money to play eso dlc or gift gold which is risky as there is no trade system in place like warframe to stop people running off with your gold without gifting you the dlc or store item you want.

 

I understand they need to make money. An mmo is expensive to maintain every month but some of the things for sale for the price asked, such as inventory slots, is really a kick in the balls.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2021-04-22 at 5:10 PM, (PSN)lydon123 said:

I really want to try and get in to a fantasy based mmo but struggling to decide which one is best to invest time in to.

I recently downloaded Elder scrolls online only to find the store to be disgustingly greedy and no way to properly trade items for crowns in game, like warframe for example. I know you can trade gold for crowns, in a sense via gifting but there seems to be no actual trade system. The monetization in eso is really not to my taste and it's clear to me that going with the subscription would be the best way to enjoy the game. However, locking inventory space, races, classes and dlc behind a pay wall or monthly subscription is a big no no by my book. I mean warframe techniqually gives us dlc for free every update. No subscription needed. 

I've played neverwinter and thats pretty good but once I hit max level there were campaigns, some taking months to complete. I sort of lost interest as the progression felt really stale after hitting level 70.

I don't mind investing time in to a game but it has to be worth it. Warframe, I feel has always been worth the time investment (most of the time) to farm sets to trade for plat and it's fun to play.

So which mmo, if any, are worth the time investment on ps4? 

Tera, neverwinter, final fantasy, skyforge, bless unleashed? 

Or are they all monitized to hell with grind walls that sap the fun out of it.

Maybe i should just stick to warframe and skyrim. At least on skyrim I don't have to subscribe to get infinite storage and I don't have to pay 20 quid or so to play as an imperial.

Bless unleashed is the worst i have ever played. A single random person walking past you while you're in combat basically stops the game dead and only when they leave can you continue reacting properly since the enemies are moving again. It's free so you can try it for yourself, but it sure isn't worth it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, (PSN)Yggranya said:

Bless unleashed is the worst i have ever played. A single random person walking past you while you're in combat basically stops the game dead and only when they leave can you continue reacting properly since the enemies are moving again. It's free so you can try it for yourself, but it sure isn't worth it.

Yeah it doesn't look great at a glance. It looks pretty dated. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Letter13 said:

FFXIV.

Hands down.

Playing through FFXIV now on the free trial. I much prefer action based combat instead of tab targeting but the social aspect of FFXIV is very appealing. There are so many players chilling out in the starting area i'm in and chatting. 

I think I saw a higher level player ferrying noobs around in a flying airship to do the map events. The world is so alive; it's really cool. 

Those classic ability cooldowns though really hurt the spammer in me lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ESO or FFXIV if you are willing to pay for your game. ESO isnt very expensive since it has been out for so many years, so accounting for the mass sum of expansions doesnt really work. You could esseintially get all expansions, pay a couple of months of membership as needed and come out at half the cost (or less) of a sub-mandatory game like FFXIV or WoW over the same period of time.

The only bonus with the sub-mandatory games is that you get all (more or less) vanity items by simply playing the game. But one could also argue that the cash shop vanity items in ESO are bonuses ontop of the already awesome looking sets obtainable in the game. So you already get the customization depth of sub-based MMORPGs, with the addition of buying even extra looks and come out at a far lower total price.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally, I recommend Final Fantasy XIV.  All of the other console MMO's I have tried have controls like they are a first-person shooter; you have to always keep adjusting your aim to keep your cursor on an enemy, which is needed to keep attacking...and given that it's an RPG, battles can be pretty lengthy.  I find that this gets really uncomfortable for my wrist.  In contrast, Final Fantasy XIV has an actual persistent targeting system and lots of different customization options for how to set up your personal controls and UI.

Other notes:

  • You buy the game and pay your subscription, and that's all the money you need.  There's an optional store (that isn't even accessible in the game) for some kinds of "fashion" items, but none of them are necessary and there are way more items that can just be naturally unlocked in the game.
  • It's nice that you can do everything in the game with only one character.  Every class, every kind of gathering/crafting, you can do it all on your one main character and you're good to go.
  • There's a good balance between "casual" and "hardcore" content, so however you're feeling on any given day, there's something to meet that need.
  • Absolutely wonderful community that is very kind and positive overall.
  • Personally, I really like the fight mechanics, especially as they evolve over the various expansions.
  • Final Fantasy XIV tends to have a good story.  Narratively it starts a bit clunky, but it finds its footing soon enough, culminating in Shadowbringers (at the moment) which may be my favorite Final Fantasy story ever.
  • The soundtrack is top-notch.
  • Cross-platform with PC, PS4, and PS5.

Source: Final Fantasy XIV is my other "forever" game

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...