Could we add a game mode like Scarlet Spear to Railjack?

(XBOX)Adams Eden

Playing the new Defense Railjack mission just seems like a drag. Have to do 10 to 15 minutes of work to just get to the defense and it’s the huge map and slow moving so another 8 to 10 minutes for 5 rounds.

I feel with it being railjack the boarding crew could be doing something like stealing the cryopod to bring back to the railjack and being supported by the railjack (energy replenishing or support fire to slow enemies down) clearing blockades on their ship to stop us. Etc I feel you can do a lot to make railjack more intense and fun game mode.

I have to say that Scarlet Spear was more interesting than Orphix.

The Condrixes were easier (kill all enemies with Mesa, spam snipe the core, repeat), but I'd be for the Orphixes to replace the Condrixes in a Murex/Condrix situation.

Not sure how the Murex fight will differ though (with Limbo spam being the prime weapon).

On 2021-04-22 at 7:43 PM, (XBOX)Adams Eden said:

Could we add a game mode like Scarlet Spear to Railjack?

On 2021-04-22 at 7:43 PM, (XBOX)Adams Eden said:

Playing the new Defense Railjack mission just seems like a drag. Have to do 10 to 15 minutes of work to just get to the defense and it’s the huge map and slow moving so another 8 to 10 minutes for 5 rounds.

You're asking two different things, though. "Scarlet Spear" aka "OpLink" aka "Squad Link" is a system for synchronising mission scripts between multiple team instances. DE have predominantly showcased it as synchronising progress between ground and Railjack instances, but the idea applies to all content, including Ground/Ground, Railjack/Railjack and even weird stuff like Archwing. To answer the title question - yes, we could have OpLink in pretty much all game modes. It's a batter of storing progress on DE's back-end and creating hooks to read from it. That's a non-trivial issue as it would require creating some kind of independent additional server process to handle synchronisation.

Operation Scarlet Spear itself got around this issue by hosting the entire event within the a single instance - the Scarlet Spear relay, specifically the numbered instance you started in. Ever wonder why you lost progress if you left the Relay? That's because your progress is saved in the relay instance itself. Everyone doing Scarlet Spear - ground and Railjack teams - operated within a unified Dojo instance within the relay. All ground teams added their names and progress to a shared pool within Relay memory, all Railjack teams drew from the same shared pool. This is also why relays were timed - you don't want instances running too long for the sake of stability, and you don't want to risk instances crashing after running too long so as not to risk progress loss.

In theory, it should be possible to put Scarlet Spear as a link between quite literally every two instances in the game. It would require pretty significant work on the back-end, but it is possible. It won't do what you're asking for, however.

To answer your follow-up question: The reason that "Ground" portions of Corpus Proxima Railjack missions lock the entire team into a ground instance is so that the host can suspend the Railjack layer and free up CPU time. This CPU time is then used to populate the ground instance with a sufficient amount of responsive AI without tanking the host's FPS. That means you can't have players on the ground and in the ship, you can't have players on two different ships. Any kind of secondary objectives you can imagine would have to happen within the same instance as the Defence objective, and specifically within the same internal space. Splitting the players means splitting the AI, means everyone gets substantially less in terms of opposition.

What COULD be done to address the inherent boredom and waste of time in Corpus Defence missions is to remove Corpus Defence missions entirely, then replace them with a game mode that doesn't suck ass. Defence has got to be the worst, most reductive, least compelling game mode in all of Warframe. Survival is pretty bad, but at least Survival HAS a full map to explore. Interception is pretty bad, but at least that requires you to move around. Hell, Mobile Defence has a lot of the issues of straight Defence, but at least that both has a full map and requires you to move. Defence is just boring. A game mode which requires me to plant my feet in one spot, hold down fire with one hand and my chin with the other is inherently boring.

Orphyx, Volatile, even Extermination - all of those give the team something to do. Defence is the only one that has us sit and wait for enemy spawns to come fall on our swords.

Archived