Jump to content

New Player: Baffling Storyline


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Arias_Pher said:

Essentially should I wait and all will be explained or just read the wiki/watch youtube?

I would suggest keep playing blind till you finish The War Within. After that read up on outside sources all you want. I was in a similar postion to you and went looking for information. While I liked what I found it meant I ultimately missed out on one of Warframe's stand out moments. I like Warframe's story and how it's told but you need to do a lot of digging in game for some very meager scraps. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The ingame quests leave some gaps. That require us to read codexes, wikis, and other material to get the story.

Unless you want to be spoiled by other players. Best to play the quests. Read the codexes/wikis. Then ask questions if uour still fuzzy.

Lotus aka space mom. Is at the start our protector. Saying more is dooilers.

Teshin does age and has been around for centuries.

Ordis is an ai that controls your ship. Can't tell you more without spoilers.

The tenno without spoiling are the warframe pilots and there are many not just you the player.  The girl in the opening cinimatic is not a tenno.

Im trying to not spoil but its hard not to spoil if you want specifics.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Arias_Pher said:

I was definitely over exaggerating a bit, it's just odd that characters pop up from nowhere all the time without rhyme or reason. The Natah quest did answer some questions. But take teshin, he just shows up when the lotus leaves. Who is he, who does he work for, why is he helping us, why did ordis contact him out of everybody. Then a few planet missions go by and we still don't know anything about him, then he leaves. It's like getting a single puzzle piece without any other pieces, I can't really do anything with it and have no idea his relevance in anything. 

Also the codex is just for seeing enemies drops and stats. There's nothing of any help there besides replaying past missions.

 

Not knowing where you are quest wise, and wanting to avoid spoilers, but you'll eventually get more info on Teshin. 

Oh, well, you might not be aware, but the Codex has a lot of little info drops about all various manner of Warframe concepts. but you have to scan for them. You'll get info on planets, different races/species, historic battles, technology, a whole lot, then there is also the Leverian. There is another secret of sorts, I'll put it in a spoiler since I am not sure how significant a secret its considered -

Spoiler

but when you have finished a set of scans, its corresponding fragment will have a small mini game, where you use sound cues to unlock a sound clip

. You can find a lot about Ordis this way) - some advice here, eventually you can get a Sentinel called Helios, which you can set up to scan fragments much easier - you can get a lot this way. 

Also, is the fact that you get lore/info this way a bit obtuse? Yes... especially since I got confused by your reply, until I realised my Codex probably looks way way different to yours, since you probably haven't scanned that much. Hope this helps anyway! 

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask. I'd answer the Teshin ones, but the game does answer those ones. Corpus and Grineer baddies? Sort of... at first in a generic enemy faction type way, but you will met some types of Grineer that are more sympathetic, you just generally meet far far more that are trying to kill you. Other such questions, get slow and small tidbits of answers over the course of the game. 

 

Edited by (PSN)slightconfuzzled
Spoiler
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Arias_Pher said:

So I started a month ago and have been having fun with the gameplay and have only been doing the quests to progress to new planets. I'm part way through Natah and I feel like I'm missing something. I have no idea about pretty much everything and the quests feel like you should. The lotus (woman who talks alot) leaves and Ordis (man who talks alot, may be space ship) says he know what it feels like to be abandoned (is that supposed to mean anything?) and that Teshin (?) shows up and says he'll help. It's just so meaningless because I have no idea wtf is going on, am I supposed to care that lotus left? And yes I know it's a looter shooter and lore isn't a focus at all, but it feels like it could be just with more foundation. It feels like the sequel to a game you had to play to understand anything.

Am I the half drowned indian girl from the intro cutscene? Am I the last tenno after vor killed them all on that planet? What's a tenno? If I'm not the Indian girl then where'd she go and where'd I come from? Are the grineer and corpus bad or am I the baddie? Is it true that the orokin (whoever they are) got killed by their smart lawnmowers? Should we be worried? Will anyone even care?

Essentially should I wait and all will be explained or just read the wiki/watch youtube?

Don't worry I'm pretty good at warframe but I didn't understand anything either.

You'll be able to put more puzzle pieces together as you progress, and if you interested in the story (imho you shouldn't), you can do what everyone who does, did. Which is go into wikis and talk about it here.

==============

Today i just rewatch the tempestari trailer, and as I paid more attention, it looks really awesome. Wow, looks like an epic story about some forgotten flying dutchman, a kickas woman pirate captain, and some cool looking ghost warframe that stares at the screen and looks really cool.

But as we all know, once we actually play quests in warframe, they're just "go to this yellow marker, go to that yellow marker, quest done, wtf just happened?".

Warframe's whole mechanics are just not made to deliver good story. Thankfully the game itself is good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, GrayArchon said:

The fragments (which you access from the Codex terminal) do indeed have a wealth of deep lore, but I don't know that I'd consider them part of the Codex proper. The actual Codex, with entries for the warframes, objects, and enemies, is very sparse in lore. Only 4 warframes and a handful of enemies have actual lore entries, though they are again significant (or at least were at the time; it's since been repeated by other dialogue in the game).

Extremely good suggestion. Also can help incidentally with Silver Grove plants and Kavat DNA extracts (until you've completed the Codex entries).

The fragments that I have so far aren't particularly deep. There's 1 sentence for corpus crew. The longest fragment lore I have is 2 sentences. I guess the later ones are much more fleshed out. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, GrayArchon said:

Many of the quests, especially Natah, date from a time when lore was exceedingly scarce, and people who enjoyed it absorbed every drop that DE put out. Natah is a fascinating quest because was the first time the Sentients had appeared in the game, and because of its end reveal (do not expand unless you have finished the quest or do not care):

  Reveal hidden contents

The Lotus is a Sentient.

Now, however, Sentients are encountered on Earth, Venus, and Jupiter, so the quest no longer has that distinction. Additionally, the impact of the reveal falls flat on new players who haven't played for very long. And it's easy to miss the dialogue when you're jumping around in a mission, much less ponder its implications. To that end, one of my main recommendations is to read the transcripts of the quests after you've finished playing them, so you can absorb the story without distractions. Transcripts are on the wiki, but I have written more detailed ones on my site, the Orokin Archives. Watching the quests on YouTube also works too.

This is all based on the assumption that you want to understand the lore, of course. If you're just playing the quests to clear the planets, don't feel the need to devote additional time on something that isn't important.

Ordis is your ship's AI. During your tutorial, you get your ship back, and Ordis explains that he has been abandoned for the centuries that you have been in cryosleep. He's been waiting for you this whole time.

Admittedly, this was abrupt even at the time of release. Teshin is an incredibly minor character until he starts playing big roles in the story, and then he disappears again. It's frustrating.

The Lotus is your mission coordinator and really the only ally you have, aside from Ordis. Nowadays there are multiple civilian towns and other factions, but at the time Lotus sometimes seemed like the only other person in the universe. She guided you on all your missions and during the events. So when quests started to focus on her (Natah, Second Dream, War Within, Chains of Harrow, Apostasy Prologue, Sacrifice, etc) it was significant for long-term players at the time. Again, new players will have much less emotional investment.

Not specifically (probably?). It's a little unclear and difficult to dive into if all you've played is Natah.

No. He's going around one by one. He's killed a bunch but not all.

The nature of the Tenno is developed in further quests, most significantly the Second Dream, the War Within, and the Sacrifice.

They're the baddies. Grineer are shown early on since they torched that girl's town and tried to capture/kill you. Corpus are given a short intro by Darvo in Vor's Prize as soulless capitalists. Both factions and their misdeeds were developed in a series of global events over the course of the game, especially in the 2013-2015 time frame. Unfortunately, new players don't have access to most of that in the game, and must seek it from outside sources. Again, my website has transcripts of all dialogue and events from those operations.

The Orokin participated in a great war against their own creations, as described in the Excalibur Codex entry However, they did win that war (or rather, the Tenno won it for them), and they were ultimately killed by the Tenno themselves, as described in the Stalker Codex entry. These are early bits of lore that you technically have access to (if you've scanned the Stalker), but probably didn't seek out.

My recommendation, as I said above, is to play through the quests so you experience them firsthand, then read transcripts or watch YouTube to see if you missed anything. There's also a lot of lore outside of the main questlines: dialogue from NPCs, Codex entries, Simaris scans, and time-limited events. For those, I would recommend just skipping to the wiki (or, for a third shameless plug, my website, which lays out all the different categories of lore you can find).

Your confusion is understandable. The quests assume that you know everything that's been released up until that point. Much of it can be very hidden. In fact, after you complete the War Within quest, you will have to go back to the civilian towns (Cetus, Fortuna, Necralisk) and unlock parts of them that were previously inaccessible.

The timeline of events can be interpreted in a linear manner, but it's very hard to find that line and follow it, particularly for a new player. You have to treat things in the order they were released into the game, which of course you have no way of knowing without the wiki.

It is a shame DE hasn't invested the effort into clearing it up and making the new player experience more linear with respect to the lore, but then of course they still haven't made the new player experience more comprehensible with respect to the actual game mechanics, either.

Lotus does leave briefly for one mission during the Natah quest, and it's treated as a big deal. This is what OP is referencing.

Thanks I'll check it out. Was just pretty confused over the depth of lore what with having completed 12.5/16 planets and still not really knowing much of anything.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Soy77 said:

Don't worry I'm pretty good at warframe but I didn't understand anything either.

You'll be able to put more puzzle pieces together as you progress, and if you interested in the story (imho you shouldn't), you can do what everyone who does, did. Which is go into wikis and talk about it here.

==============

Today i just rewatch the tempestari trailer, and as I paid more attention, it looks really awesome. Wow, looks like an epic story about some forgotten flying dutchman, a kickas woman pirate captain, and some cool looking ghost warframe that stares at the screen and looks really cool.

But as we all know, once we actually play quests in warframe, they're just "go to this yellow marker, go to that yellow marker, quest done, wtf just happened?".

Warframe's whole mechanics are just not made to deliver good story. Thankfully the game itself is good.

The new quest is short and meh. But stuff like the war within and umbras quest was epic story telling.

Edited by (PSN)Kakurine2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, (PSN)slightconfuzzled said:

 

Not knowing where you are quest wise, and wanting to avoid spoilers, but you'll eventually get more info on Teshin. 

Oh, well, you might not be aware, but the Codex has a lot of little info drops about all various manner of Warframe concepts. but you have to scan for them. You'll get info on planets, different races/species, historic battles, technology, a whole lot, then there is also the Leverian. There is another secret of sorts, I'll put it in a spoiler since I am not sure how significant a secret its considered -

  Reveal hidden contents

but when you have finished a set of scans, its corresponding fragment will have a small mini game, where you use sound cues to unlock a sound clip

. You can find a lot about Ordis this way) - some advice here, eventually you can get a Sentinel called Helios, which you can set up to scan fragments much easier - you can get a lot this way. 

Also, is the fact that you get lore/info this way a bit obtuse? Yes... especially since I got confused by your reply, until I realised my Codex probably looks way way different to yours, since you probably haven't scanned that much. Hope this helps anyway! 

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask. I'd answer the Teshin ones, but the game does answer those ones. Corpus and Grineer baddies? Sort of... at first in a generic enemy faction type way, but you will met some types of Grineer that are more sympathetic, you just generally meet far far more that are trying to kill you. Other such questions, get slow and small tidbits of answers over the course of the game. 

 

Oh didn't know there was anything more to the codex entries than just the words thanks.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Arias_Pher said:

The fragments that I have so far aren't particularly deep. There's 1 sentence for corpus crew. The longest fragment lore I have is 2 sentences. I guess the later ones are much more fleshed out.

It looks like you've unlocked some of the cephalon fragments. Those are the most common ones (large blue shapes in missions). There's some generic lore in each one but there's also a hidden story. Move your cursor around and you'll hear static. When you reach the spot where the static is loudest, it'll unlock another part. The hidden parts tell a story about Ordis, but you need to listen to them in order, meaning you need to find all the fragments on Earth, all the fragments on Venus, and so on. There are other sets of fragments: four sets on the Plains of Eidolon, one on the Orb Vallis, one in the Gas City on Jupiter, one from the Parvos Granum fountains in the Corpus Ships, and one you get from ranking up with the civilian Syndicates on Deimos (although this last one is not technically a fragment set and isn't found in the Codex). These are all little things you hunt down and scan and they have hidden stories like the cephalon fragments, too.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, GrayArchon said:

It looks like you've unlocked some of the cephalon fragments. Those are the most common ones (large blue shapes in missions). There's some generic lore in each one but there's also a hidden story. Move your cursor around and you'll hear static. When you reach the spot where the static is loudest, it'll unlock another part. The hidden parts tell a story about Ordis, but you need to listen to them in order, meaning you need to find all the fragments on Earth, all the fragments on Venus, and so on. There are other sets of fragments: four sets on the Plains of Eidolon, one on the Orb Vallis, one in the Gas City on Jupiter, one from the Parvos Granum fountains in the Corpus Ships, and one you get from ranking up with the civilian Syndicates on Deimos (although this last one is not technically a fragment set and isn't found in the Codex). These are all little things you hunt down and scan and they have hidden stories like the cephalon fragments, too.

 

Yeah I just realized that, thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Arias_Pher said:

So I started a month ago and have been having fun with the gameplay and have only been doing the quests to progress to new planets. I'm part way through Natah and I feel like I'm missing something. I have no idea about pretty much everything and the quests feel like you should. The lotus (woman who talks alot) leaves and Ordis (man who talks alot, may be space ship) says he know what it feels like to be abandoned (is that supposed to mean anything?) and that Teshin (?) shows up and says he'll help. It's just so meaningless because I have no idea wtf is going on, am I supposed to care that lotus left? And yes I know it's a looter shooter and lore isn't a focus at all, but it feels like it could be just with more foundation. It feels like the sequel to a game you had to play to understand anything.

Am I the half drowned indian girl from the intro cutscene? Am I the last tenno after vor killed them all on that planet? What's a tenno? If I'm not the Indian girl then where'd she go and where'd I come from? Are the grineer and corpus bad or am I the baddie? Is it true that the orokin (whoever they are) got killed by their smart lawnmowers? Should we be worried? Will anyone even care?

Essentially should I wait and all will be explained or just read the wiki/watch youtube?

Let me go through each of your directly stated areas of confusion try to give you the short version without too many spoilers. Don't let that make you think there aren't any though:

1) The Lotus

The Lotus is our handler, our support structure, and our adoptive mother. An old spoiler is that she is not human. She is actually a Sentient, one of the species of sapient machines that we will be fighting in the New War. She maintains, or rather has maintained, an extensive intelligence network with black market affiliates, spies, mercenaries, thieves, and sleepers. These organizations operate very closely with her so they operate very closely with us. Many of these organizations are identified as Syndicates. The fact that she left is a complex topic so her motives are, at this time, almost inscrutable. She could be our mortal enemy or she could be the only thing that can save the Origin System. She could be both.

2) Ordis

Ordis is a consciousness adapted into something like an AI from the mind of a living human. Cephalons are, for brevity's sake, basically a computer with a flash-scanned human brain in it that's been picked apart and reassembled. His backstory is violent and tragic, but also somber and meaningful to the player. He wasn't all that dissimilar from us in his service to the Orokin, nor were his goals all that dissimilar from ours when he met them. This is all in the codex fragments though, so you might want to listen to them all on youtube.

3) The Tenno

The Tenno are a sizable group of former retainers that served the immortal Orokin. You may have figured this out by now: The Tenno killed all the Orokin. After destroying the Empire the Tenno entered a sleep-like state and slept until they were awakened by the Lotus. The young girl in the introductory cutscene is likely some manifestation of an Operator. Operators are something you will find out about while playing the main quest line and I don't want to spoil too much of that for you. Let's just say that it's difficult to pin down exactly what Operators are, how they sensed the world while "asleep", and why they retained some memories but not others. These are unresolved plot points so far so I'm not spoiling much by telling.

4) The Enemy

The Grineer and the Corpus are the dominant political, economic, and military powers of the system. The Grineer are largely composed of clones grown from genetic templates and are what you could call ethnonationalist authoritarians, except the "ethno" bit is replaced by the fact they're clones. The Corpus are best described as a Corporate Megachurch, they venerate the Void and Profit as an abstract concept. As you play you will notice that there are Syndicates and subfactions that do not share the same values or are willing to help the Tenno. We tend to target the ones that become a problem, growing too powerful or preying on the innocent. Lotus refers to this as "maintaining the balance."

Edited by Mints
correct incomplete sentence
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Mints said:

Let me go through each of your directly stated areas of confusion try to give you the short version without too many spoilers. Don't let that make you think there aren't any though:

1) The Lotus

The Lotus is our handler, our support structure, and our adoptive mother. An old spoiler is that she is not human. She is actually a Sentient, one of the species of sapient machines that we will be fighting in the New War. She maintains, or rather has maintained, an extensive intelligence network with black market affiliates, spies, mercenaries, thieves, and sleepers. These organizations operate very closely with her so they operate very closely with us. Many of these organizations are identified as Syndicates. The fact that she left is a complex topic so her motives are, at this time, almost inscrutable. She could be our mortal enemy or she could be the only thing that can save the Origin System. She could be both.

2) Ordis

Ordis is a consciousness adapted into something like an AI from the mind of a living human. Cephalons are, for brevity's sake, basically a computer with a flash-scanned human brain in it that's been picked apart and reassembled. His backstory is violent and tragic, but also somber and meaningful to the player. He wasn't all that dissimilar from us in his service to the Orokin, nor were his goals all that dissimilar from ours when he met them. This is all in the codex fragments though, so you might want to listen to them all on youtube.

3) The Tenno

The Tenno are a sizable group of former retainers that served the immortal Orokin. You may have figured this out by now: The Tenno killed all the Orokin. After destroying the Empire the Tenno entered a sleep-like state and slept until they were awakened by the Lotus. The young girl in the introductory cutscene is likely some manifestation of an Operator. Operators are something you will find out about while playing the main quest line and I don't want to spoil too much of that for you. Let's just say that it's difficult to pin down exactly what Operators are, how they sensed the world while "asleep", and why they retained some memories but not others. These are unresolved plot points so far so I'm not spoiling much by telling.

4) The Enemy

The Grineer and the Corpus are the dominant political, economic, and military powers of the system. The Grineer are largely composed of clones grown from genetic templates and are what you could call ethnonationalist authoritarians, except the "ethno" bit is replaced by the fact they're clones. The Corpus are best described as a Corporate Megachurch, they venerate the Void and Profit as an abstract concept. As you play you will notice that there are Syndicates and subfactions that do not share the same values or are willing to help the Tenno. We tend to target the ones that become a problem, growing too powerful or preying on the innocent. Lotus refers to this as "maintaining the balance."

Thanks that's all really helpful in setting up the foundation of lore. And thanks for not spoiling anything.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, (PSN)Kakurine2 said:

The new quest is short and meh. But stuff like the war within and umbras quest was epic story telling.

This will be an unpopular opinion among warframe lovers. But those two are only good if judged by warframe's rather low standards. take it out into the wild, they're pale in comparison with other great storytellers like tlow, gow, tw, etc.

Second dream is the only odd one out that sticks out by being pretty good, with nothing else even come close to it even inside warframe itself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Arias_Pher said:

The only knowledge I should have is that he's a glitched antique AI.

Being fully caught up quest and lore-wise, this is approximately the extent of knowledge 90% of the community has about Ordis, myself included. Theres obviously bits and pieces everywhere, but no quest really tells us about Ordis and if there is, it didn't stick.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Haha, I still remember starting a few months ago and being thoroughly confused about who Teshin is (wouldn't his hat fill up with water when it rains?), who the Stalker is (he really needs to see a doc about his breathing problem) and why that Grineer girl is being so hard on me to help "these people out" (alright, alright!  But... who are they?).  My only advice is to keep playing and doing as many quests as you can muster.  That, and collect the lore fragments and listen to the hidden audio.  Much will be revealed to answer most of your questions.

As for why you should care about the Lotus, well she is the mother figure you first encountered when borne into this world.  She woke you up and guided you on your journey so far.  But now you are starting to see that she may not be as perfect and reliable as she seemed to be.  You are starting to be thrust into the unknown and forced to grow up and stand on your own.

IMO, this would have been much more impactful if DE made the Lotus much more powerful in the beginning - let her be the one to "unlock" your Warframe before each battle, let her give new players infinite revives and boons so we learn to rely on her.  Then when the rug gets pulled from under our feet it will feel that much more meaningful...

Edited by MqToasty
fixed typos
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Story doesn't matter, it's all over the place, doesn't go anywhere and there is no beating the game so, no conclusion. 

You're a magic space kid with war crime machines. You get a big gun, a little gun and a melee weapon. Go kill stuff and have fun.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Institute-Marksman said:

Being fully caught up quest and lore-wise, this is approximately the extent of knowledge 90% of the community has about Ordis, myself included. Theres obviously bits and pieces everywhere, but no quest really tells us about Ordis and if there is, it didn't stick.

There is more info on Ordis but it is also some incredibly stupid stuff, even for "videogame that doesn't really put much effort into story" standards, so yeah, no wonder it didn't stick.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...