Kuva Lich Crewmates: What's the Point?

(XBOX)HollowCube987

The cons for getting and having Kuva Lich Crew is not worth the pros.

Aquiring Human Crew

Requires 1 Command Intrinsic for your first crewmember slot, and 31 Command Intrinsics for your third and final. Human crew member contracts are bought from Ticker in Fortuna for Railjack resources or Credits. Simple, easy process that takes 5 minutes at most and is relatively cheap.

Acquiring Kuva Lich Crew

You need 255 Command Intrinsics to put Converted Kuva Liches in your crewmate slots. If you have no converted unsold Kuva Liches, then you have to slay a Larva, find all 3 Requiems, and spend points on those Requiem mods to save it.

Customizing Human Crew

You're able to use color pallets and cosmetics to make your human crew exactly the way you want. If you want to have a Red Veil Edgelord with a Fire Cape working alongside a Cephalon Suda employee wearing holographic Corpus Propaganda, you're free to do so. You can also give Human Crewmates Assault Rifles, Shotguns, and Single Pistols to defend themselves with, and even mod the weapons you give them.

Customizing Kuva Lich Crewmates

You can't. You can't change how the Kuva Lich looks, you can't give a Kuva Lich a new weapon, and you can't even mod their weapons. If the weapon the Lich has is good, then that means you just turned your back on a Kuva Bramma or Kuva Nukor that you or your human crew could have used instead. If the weapon it has is average at best, then your Kuva Lich is going to struggle later on when it takes out higher level boarding parties.

Using Human Crew

Not only can human crewmembers be set to Pilot, Gunner, Engineer, and Defender rolls at the drop of a hat, but after spending 63 Command Intrinsics, you can give a total of three Competency Training to your human crew. They can fly your ship faster, shoot down enemy fighters better and for longer, fix on board hazards and emergencies, heal lost health, do more weapon damage, and take more damage before entering bleedout.

Using Kuva Lich Crew

Converted Kuva Liches cannot use ANY Railjack Equipment, and cannot receive Competency Points. Because of this, they can only be Defenders. They have more health than a Crewmate built strictly for endurance, but they cannot heal lost health. Kuva Liches during my time with playing with them has been decent on Corpus levels, but absolutely pitiful on Grineer ones, because Gostrad units have insanely high Health and Armor stats that must be modded for in order to get quick results.

Every Kuva Lich I have ever Converted has had a bad weapon with a bad element because I made them by complete accident, so take my words about them in combat with a grain of salt. But through my experience, Kuva Liches are grossly ineffective at doing anything practical. If I had one with a shotgun like a Kuva Brakk or a Kuva Kohm, they would insist to stand 4 kilometers away because AI doesn't know how to use a weapon like that the exact same way a player does. If I used one with an automatic weapon like a Kuva Karak or a Kuva Quartak, then they would spend at least 30 seconds on just 1 enemy while the others are caving in the skulls of my other crewmates and setting fires everywhere. The ONLY Kuva Weapon lich that has some degree of success was one with a Kuva Seer, and even then they spent more time using the ability Vault then actually killing things.

If DE wants the Converted Kuva Liches to have a place in our Railjacks, then we should be allowed to change and/or mod their weapons at the very least. In the meantime, if you want to bring a Converted Kuva Lich to a Veil Proxima Mission, then let me give you some sound advice:

D O N T.

All I want is the ability to have "On Call" not be one of my three Railjack crewmates and allow Kuva Liches to be my On Call summon.

Personally I've opted to give my On-Call Crewmate a Miter with Neutralizing Justice. So I can use them in Nullifier heavy missions.

Kuva Liches on call would be great. I have a feeling like this might be the rank 10 unlock once the queen pins are released.

But I second the concerns about Kuva Liches compared to regular crew. My biggest gripe is that they don't use modded weapons like the crew members do. 

Liches should be able to equip kuva weapons. Our modded weapons outclass the default kuva weapons so much.

My on call crewmember wrecks steel path acolytes. Quite hilariously, I might add. Kuva helpers do piss-all.

They are actually surprisingly competent security officers and can destroy hostile board teams. But yeah, they feel underwhelming otherwise. With pilot + 2 gunners no security needed because they will just obliterate boarding ships.

The fact that they can't be On Call is pretty annoying too. They seriously need some extra functions to them. It sucks that a unit that takes so much time investment to get is mostly inferior to a unit you can just buy instantly, minus one very specific function that doesn;t come up often.

1 hour ago, Artekkor said:

They are actually surprisingly competent security officers and can destroy hostile board teams.

They can’t deal with Veil Grineer. I tried my Lich crew handle the boarders, they always lose and ended up dying. They have no problem dealing with Corpus tho.

1 hour ago, DrivaMain said:

I have a feeling Kuva Lich crewmates are “incomplete”. It seems they were quickly thrown into the crew system without too much thought after working hours on regular crew. They need to be more reliable.

THIS

Kuva Liches have always been incomplete not well thought content

putting them on Railjack is just DE trying to Shoehorn new uses for them; which is why they don't really fit in vs the benefits of Human crew.

4 hours ago, _Tormex_ said:

Liches use abilities. So they got that over other crew types.

The abilities is a good point that I have missed, but in certain cases they can even be a detriment. One Kuva Lich of mine did more Switch Teleport than shooting, and another couldn't stop using Vault.

They definitely confused and evaded the enemy boarding parties, but Psychological Damage Done doesn't show up on the End of Mission screen, it isn't worth anything.

3 minutes ago, (XBOX)HollowCube987 said:

The abilities is a good point that I have missed, but in certain cases they can even be a detriment. One Kuva Lich of mine did more Switch Teleport than shooting, and another couldn't stop using Vault.

They definitely confused and evaded the enemy boarding parties, but Psychological Damage Done doesn't show up on the End of Mission screen, it isn't worth anything.

My Nyx begs to differ

DE have said they're going to look at making liches more useful as crew. 

But you're absolutely right - as it is, using a lich is a detriment. I run two gunners + an engineer with Kuva Nukor. Swapping any of these as a lich reduces my effectiveness.

If they're looking to expand the utility of Liches, then the solution goes well beyond role expansion. The dev team had a deadline to meet & couldn't exercise patience in order to deliver a more satisfying experience.

Lich/Queenpin customization has to improve, plain & simple, from both a cosmetic & combat perspective. Weapons should be changeable & moddable. Perhaps even their abilities could be altered just to add a bit more personalization for the player's sake. I've been saying this since Liches came out. If DE plans on emulating other games & their mechanics, they should actually put effort into it while also adding that satisfying level of customization that Warframe is renowned for.

Archived