Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Crew of the Tempestarii (Headcanon)

Gamer_Auto

Short little headcanon and my evidence to support it.

We all know that Cy referred to Sevegoth as the Helmsman of the Tempestarii (for those unaware, the Helmsman is the person responsible for keeping a ship on course; ergo, the pilot). That got me thinking as to what the rest of the crew looked like. While we don't have many "sailor-themed" Warframes, we do have one that fits the bill perfectly: Hydroid.

Hydroid's signature Alt-Helm and Hydroid Prime's standard helm are Tricorn hats. In 18th/19th century naval fleets, the Tricorn was usually worn by the captain of a ship. And with Hydroid's "signature weapon" being the Nami Skyla (a cutlass and dagger combo), and his "signature companion" being a Carrier with the Para skin and attachments (making him look like a parrot), my headcanon is that the Tempestarii's Captain was none other than a Hydroid with the Triton Helm or a Hydroid Prime.

As for the other two crew members? I don't know yet. We don't really have any other "Sailor/Pirate" themed Frames. Though I would love if they made them just so players could full-squad a Railjack with a complete pirate crew! All we need are a Gunner and an Engineer/Defender. I guess suitable stand-ins would be a Vauban and an Excalibur.

14 minutes ago, (XBOX)C11H22O11 said:

Well Sevagoth isn't Pirate themed and there's no reason for his crew to be pirate themed as well or even a warframe, it could've been just regular people

Sevagoth is definitely pirate-themed...

One of the classic pirate stories has to do with ghost ships. Sevagoth's shadow is literally the ghost pirate captain of the ghost ship.

f9091ceb424f6e4884ded893c2b3a68e.jpg

19 minutes ago, (XBOX)C11H22O11 said:

Well Sevagoth isn't Pirate themed

7 minutes ago, Leqesai said:

Sevagoth is definitely pirate-themed...

One of the classic pirate stories has to do with ghost ships. Sevagoth's shadow is literally the ghost pirate captain of the ghost ship.

Not to mention his alternate helmet having an eyepatch, which Rebecca said was a direct allusion to a pirate captain.

18 minutes ago, Leqesai said:

Sevagoth is definitely pirate-themed.

No, the Tempestarii is a nod to the flying dutchman but other than that and the alt helmet there's nothing about him that connects to Pirate.

His Railjack was a rescue ship not a pirate ship, he's a Reaper/Phantom warframe nothing Pirate about him.

The song that plays isn't even about him if you consider that a Sea shanty

9 minutes ago, (XBOX)C11H22O11 said:

No, the Tempestarii is a nod to the flying dutchman but other than that and the alt helmet there's nothing about him that connects to Pirate.

His Railjack was a rescue ship not a pirate ship, he's a Reaper/Phantom warframe nothing Pirate about him.

The song that plays isn't even about him if you consider that a Sea shanty

The tempestarii being a ghost ship manned by Sevagoth's Shadow who attacks neutral ships seems an obvious tie-in to pirate-themed stories. 

hace 1 hora, Gamer_Auto dijo:

Short little headcanon and my evidence to support it.

We all know that Cy referred to Sevegoth as the Helmsman of the Tempestarii (for those unaware, the Helmsman is the person responsible for keeping a ship on course; ergo, the pilot). That got me thinking as to what the rest of the crew looked like. While we don't have many "sailor-themed" Warframes, we do have one that fits the bill perfectly: Hydroid.

Hydroid's signature Alt-Helm and Hydroid Prime's standard helm are Tricorn hats. In 18th/19th century naval fleets, the Tricorn was usually worn by the captain of a ship. And with Hydroid's "signature weapon" being the Nami Skyla (a cutlass and dagger combo), and his "signature companion" being a Carrier with the Para skin and attachments (making him look like a parrot), my headcanon is that the Tempestarii's Captain was none other than a Hydroid with the Triton Helm or a Hydroid Prime.

As for the other two crew members? I don't know yet. We don't really have any other "Sailor/Pirate" themed Frames. Though I would love if they made them just so players could full-squad a Railjack with a complete pirate crew! All we need are a Gunner and an Engineer/Defender. I guess suitable stand-ins would be a Vauban and an Excalibur.

I see Hydroid as a captain of his own ship since he has the captain robes and I see him like more offensive so maybe he comanded a first-line-attacker railjack.

I like to think that his crew was Trinity, Vauban and Nova, first of all, Trinity and Nova are found on Corpus planets, Trinity is found on Pluto that has a Proxima region and Nova is found on Europa wich has the remainings of Corpus ships that were destroyed in (afair) unkown circumstances. Also as @HellDevil said, Trinity is the perfect nurse for a rescue ship.

49 minutes ago, Leqesai said:

The tempestarii being a ghost ship manned by Sevagoth's Shadow who attacks neutral ships seems an obvious tie-in to pirate-themed stories. 

I think they retconned at the last minute and threw in a few pseudo pirate themed nods to take advantage of the Sea Shanty craze. 

But the quest itself is clearly about a rescue pilot who loses part of himself, and we have to help him finish his final mission -- rescue his own body. And he's not raiding vessels and taking their stuff, he's just attacking ships he sees as enemies, as he isn't fully himself, literally. 

Yes, he is connected to the Flying Dutchman, but unless we are talking about some very, very recently made up stuff (mostly from Spongebob), the Flying Dutchman wasn't connected to pirates, nor was it even connected to any kind of named captain or lore until some very recent literature. It's just a mirage/phenomenon that can cause sailors to think a ship is far away and also floating, and there is a lot of science behind it. Apart from DE throwing in a few pirate nods like an eyepatch on a helm, what makes him a pirate? Where is the piracy?

When does he raid a ship and make off with booty? When is there even any allusion to that? 

25 minutes ago, Tesseract7777 said:

I think they retconned at the last minute and threw in a few pseudo pirate themed nods to take advantage of the Sea Shanty craze. 

I second this , Sevagoth thematically is not really piratey.

DE could have introduced ANY warframe in the quest and it wouldn't have mattered as it could mostly play the same way. And a cosmetic pirate accessory just so they could justify it.

The Tempestari itself is more of a rescue ship , the opposite of a pirate ship, but still a railjack capable of significant destruction. And it didn't destroy neutral platforms as per what I saw , it only attacked us when we failed the friend foe identification and the corpus cause they attacked first.

it does however seem to attract/follow void storms/create them by its presence. It's like a storm crow or an omen, disliked and misunderstood cause it is followed by destruction but not directly causing it. 

Sevagoth is absolutely a reaper frame in my opinion , like a thematic mix between equinox and nekros.

With that said , there is no rule that a captain  of a ship has to be pirate themed. A good captain keeps the crew in shape and makes decisions for most effective traversal of regions. Being able to manipulate water and wind (solar rails?) Would be kuch more apt. But I digress.

@C11H22O11 , @Tesseract7777 , @0_The_F00l - I never exclusively said "Pirate". I said "Sailor/Pirate". The sailing life was lived by more than just pirates. Navy men, cargo haulers, passenger transport, exploration, these are but examples of what sailors could do. I'm sure Search & Rescue was among that list at one point as well.

@Leqesai, @GrayArchon - I think Sevegoth was first designed as a Wraith, just as the placeholder name said. I think that the quest, the allusions to ghost ships, and the epic song were just added in at the right time. It's likely the majority of the quest was already prototyped out, and the recent Sea Shanty craze was just the perfect icing on the cake to tie everything together. I could easily see the Tempestarii being something darker to allude to Frames like Nekros and Xaku.

@HellDevil@VoidArkhangel - Trinity and Nova seem like decent fits. One's a medic, the other's literally a reactor. It's possible Hydroid had his own ship, but you never know. :wink:

2 hours ago, Gamer_Auto said:

@0_The_F00l - I never exclusively said "Pirate". I said "Sailor/Pirate". The sailing life was lived by more than just pirates. Navy men, cargo haulers, passenger transport, exploration, these are but examples of what sailors could do. I'm sure Search & Rescue was among that list at one point as well.

Although i wasnt particularly denouncing your original statement, the fact remains that Sevagoth is not a frame that has themes related to any sort of sailing adventures (pirate especially).

Frames which have any sort of navigation/nautical/seeker/recon/repair themes would be more apt to be part of the crew. Hell, Zephyr with her winds could also fit.

It is only through his availability being from the quest which includes a ship (the ship itself is very close tribute to the flying dutchman ) and the one alt helmet that has an eye patch (might as well call him the stealth frame then reference MGS) ... that anyone is associating it with a pirate/sailor.

You can replace sevagoth with any generic frame and the quest does not change significantly.

7 hours ago, Gamer_Auto said:

I see you follow the Cult of Reb. :clem:

oh no, I am meme-ster here and there, if you follow memes then you find unganda knuckle and other memes stuff.  Hell, why not throw warframe look like unganda knuckle later on so we all can laugh our bottom off.

6 hours ago, 0_The_F00l said:

Although i wasnt particularly denouncing your original statement, the fact remains that Sevagoth is not a frame that has themes related to any sort of sailing adventures (pirate especially).

Frames which have any sort of navigation/nautical/seeker/recon/repair themes would be more apt to be part of the crew. Hell, Zephyr with her winds could also fit.

It is only through his availability being from the quest which includes a ship (the ship itself is very close tribute to the flying dutchman ) and the one alt helmet that has an eye patch (might as well call him the stealth frame then reference MGS) ... that anyone is associating it with a pirate/sailor.

You can replace sevagoth with any generic frame and the quest does not change significantly.

If you go to other words I typed in that post, I also mention this:

I think Sevegoth was first designed as a Wraith, just as the placeholder name said. I think that the quest, the allusions to ghost ships, and the epic song were just added in at the right time. It's likely the majority of the quest was already prototyped out, and the recent Sea Shanty craze was just the perfect icing on the cake to tie everything together. I could easily see the Tempestarii being something darker to allude to Frames like Nekros and Xaku.

If you want to take the quest into account, regardless of original Developer intent, Sevegoth was the Helmsman of the Tempestarii. Now, Cephalon Cy also states that Sev's Shadow is made from pure Void Energy. So it's likely to be a similar case to Revenant and Xaku, where a Frame got lost in the Void and was permanently changed. We do have to grab Sev's pod from the Void Warp tunnel. Who's to say that he was completely protected from corruption and that his current form is also his original form?

2 hours ago, ChaoticEdge said:

oh no, I am meme-ster here and there, if you follow memes then you find unganda knuckle and other memes stuff.  Hell, why not throw warframe look like unganda knuckle later on so we all can laugh our bottom off.

UganKnuk, 4 Ability, ask every enemy is they know the way until they all die in a 10,000 Meter radius. XP

40 minutes ago, Gamer_Auto said:

If you go to other words I typed in that post, I also mention this:

If you want to take the quest into account, regardless of original Developer intent, Sevegoth was the Helmsman of the Tempestarii. Now, Cephalon Cy also states that Sev's Shadow is made from pure Void Energy. So it's likely to be a similar case to Revenant and Xaku, where a Frame got lost in the Void and was permanently changed. We do have to grab Sev's pod from the Void Warp tunnel. Who's to say that he was completely protected from corruption and that his current form is also his original form?

That last speculation is neither for or against either of our statements.

I had speculated (different thread) that Sevagoth is actually a Nekros that used the last of its energy to spawn A shadow of another tenno that dies on the ship. and the time and proximity to the void changed both of them such that they are inseperable. The abilities are very reminiscent of nekros to me.

So we still dont know what the original untainted frame (in case that speculation is true) and we cannot argue if it was thematically suited for sailing.

And i do agree with the part you quoted , hence i am not arguing against it.

14 hours ago, VoidArkhangel said:

Nova is found on Europa wich has the remainings of Corpus ships that were destroyed in (afair) unkown circumstances.

The circumstances is the constant war between the Corpus and Grineer that broke out into open hostilities during The Archwing quest and hasn't really cooled down. The Europa cephalon fragment says "The icy moon of Jupiter known as Europa is home to one of the largest crash sites of the modern war. The scattered remains of a vast Corpus Obelisk litters the snowy landscape while the battle above wages on." In the Europa skybox, you can see a Grineer Fomorian and a Corpus Obelisk engaged in battle.

14 hours ago, Tesseract7777 said:

Yes, he is connected to the Flying Dutchman, but unless we are talking about some very, very recently made up stuff (mostly from Spongebob), the Flying Dutchman wasn't connected to pirates, nor was it even connected to any kind of named captain or lore until some very recent literature. It's just a mirage/phenomenon that can cause sailors to think a ship is far away and also floating, and there is a lot of science behind it. Apart from DE throwing in a few pirate nods like an eyepatch on a helm, what makes him a pirate? Where is the piracy?

When does he raid a ship and make off with booty? When is there even any allusion to that?

13 hours ago, 0_The_F00l said:

I second this , Sevagoth thematically is not really piratey.

The Tempestari itself is more of a rescue ship , the opposite of a pirate ship, but still a railjack capable of significant destruction. And it didn't destroy neutral platforms as per what I saw , it only attacked us when we failed the friend foe identification and the corpus cause they attacked first.

I agree that the Tempestarii, as an Old War rescue ship, is not inherently very pirate-y, nor is the story of the quest (helping Sevagoth "rescue" himself and be at peace), although Captain Vala's arc is reminiscent of Moby-D*ck, which one might say is pirate-adjacent. But DE does not shy away from the divorce of aesthetic themes with dramatic themes. The Tempestarii as we encounter it in the quest seems to be directly influenced by the, as Tesseract points out, fairly modern pop-culture imagining of the Flying Dutchman as a ghostly monster revenge ship, largely based on the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise with a little bit of Spongebob Squarepants. The Tempestarii, as we encounter it in the quest, is ghostly and mysterious, appearing and disappearing without notice, attacking random nearby ships and facilities (Lucretia Platform, your ship, Vala's ship), captained by a monster/ghost, not answerable to any higher power or government, and hunted by an antagonist – all of which line up with Davy Jones' Flying Dutchman in Pirates of the Caribbean. Just because the Tempestarii was originally a rescue ship and Sevagoth is a warframe with communications issues doesn't mean that those pop culture allusions don't exist and weren't deliberately added. And, as I said earlier, Rebecca said on stream (when discussing Sevagoth's alt helmet) that there was a pirate theme that they were trying to invoke. What confuses the issue is that DE likes to mix in their themes with other themes and types of storylines, and so you'll never see something that is 'pure' pirate; it'll be something else. Much like Atlas is rock elemental + boxer, Sevagoth ends up being wraith + ghost pirate captain.

12 hours ago, Gamer_Auto said:

I think Sevegoth was first designed as a Wraith, just as the placeholder name said. I think that the quest, the allusions to ghost ships, and the epic song were just added in at the right time. It's likely the majority of the quest was already prototyped out, and the recent Sea Shanty craze was just the perfect icing on the cake to tie everything together.

It's also clear to me that Sevagoth was first designed as a wraith, given that it was his codename. In fact, you can see Liger's original concept for the warframe here, before they were hired to DE and the design was made official. The pirate theme probably was added in as his quest was written, as you say. I'm not sure how much I believe that it was DE's attempt to capitalise on the sea shanty craze. I can certainly see them trying to do that, but I'm not sure if it's possible for DE to work that fast, given what we've seen of their quest development process over the years.

9 hours ago, 0_The_F00l said:

I hear what you're saying about Sevagoth's lack of direct nautical allusions, but I think I have to disagree with this statement here, since only Sevagoth has a part of him (his Shadow) that can survive independent of him and seek to reunite with him, which was the impetus for the whole quest.

1 hour ago, 0_The_F00l said:

So we still dont know what the original untainted frame (in case that speculation is true) and we cannot argue if it was thematically suited for sailing.

44 minutes ago, GrayArchon said:

and so you'll never see something that is 'pure' pirate; it'll be something else. Much like Atlas is rock elemental + boxer, Sevagoth ends up being wraith + ghost pirate captain.

Archon mentions this and I think it's interesting. Another franchise that has multiple distinct characters, Pokemon, is notorious for having its titular creatures take multiple inspirations from all across the world; especially the modern designs. I'd wager that DE has done the same thing here with Warframe. No Frame has strictly one inspiration unless they have a really good idea (Oberon and Titania, for example, are folk characters from the UK that deal a great bit with fairy lore).

If I had to guess at Sevegoth's inspirations, I'd say that "shadows of the dead", the classical definition of a wraith (a ghost or ghost-like image of someone, especially one seen shortly before or after their death), and tales of ghosts would be primary among them. Pirates just happen to fit in with those things; so it's likely that the Alt Helm was made to help him match Hydroid in that regard. A drowned captain returned from the sea and the ghostly remains of his helmsman.

2 hours ago, GrayArchon said:

I hear what you're saying about Sevagoth's lack of direct nautical allusions, but I think I have to disagree with this statement here, since only Sevagoth has a part of him (his Shadow) that can survive independent of him and seek to reunite with him, which was the impetus for the whole quest.

Not really , we could easily have a spectral image of the core warframe do the same functions without needing any sort of pull from a split soul entity.

The shadows work could be taken over by the cephalon on board the tempestarii that is only following its directive to rescue the lost souls as well. 

Similar props were used in chains of harrow, the chroma quest, revenant where there is a disembodied entity as well as the "spectre" of the frame guiding us.

3 hours ago, 0_The_F00l said:

That last speculation is neither for or against either of our statements.

I had speculated (different thread) that Sevagoth is actually a Nekros that used the last of its energy to spawn A shadow of another tenno that dies on the ship. and the time and proximity to the void changed both of them such that they are inseperable. The abilities are very reminiscent of nekros to me.

And i do agree with the part you quoted , hence i am not arguing against it.

You know, come to think of it, Sevagoth being a Void-twisted Nekros isn't too far-fetched of an idea.

Aesthetically, they are both quite similar. Even their head shapes are somewhat similar, being triangular in nature.

Ability-wise, they both have an aura on their 3 that casts a distinctively visible field around them, and both use shadows in their aesthetic and abilities as well, and both have an ability that rips out souls, though Sevagoth straight-up devours them for himself.

This is an interesting theory.

Maybe not likely, but interesting nonetheless.

Archived