Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

RAILJACK: Hired pilot vs. manned artillery/slingshot

The hired crew as pilots are problematic if you're in the artillery trying to down a crewship. Quite infuriating to see a crewship, point Railjack at it, hop into artillery and power it up...and hired pilot moves Railjack.

Some suggestions:

1) Artillery/slingshot has helm control (or aiming separate from helm) if helm is either unmanned by players or manned by hired pilot.

2) Helm has artillery control if player on artillery.

3) If artillery/slingshot is aiming, hired pilot circles crewship or largest/slowest nearby target, keeping it in sight for (manned) artillery while dodging fire, and will only evade if enemy ships nearby.

A workaround for this issue is ordering your pilot to do anything else instead piloting. They will hop off from the pilot seat and follow your orders, this way you can leave the pilot seat after aiming and then jumping into the artillery seat without them moving the ship.

9 hours ago, vanaukas said:

A workaround for this issue is ordering your pilot to do anything else instead piloting. They will hop off from the pilot seat and follow your orders, this way you can leave the pilot seat after aiming and then jumping into the artillery seat without them moving the ship.

Thank you for not suggesting that it's a good workaround.

But yeah, my usual M.O. is to swat all the flies, lay into the crewships with the main battery, then position my RJ somewhere with a clear shot at a couple that are immobilized, hop on the artillery station and blast them. I'd still be delighted to see one or more of Raven-Ghosthawk's suggestions implemented.

11 hours ago, (PSN)Raven-Ghosthawk said:

AFAIK, they're completely autonomous and don't take orders. You get a window after they jump out, but the ship is moving before your artillery has a full charge.

nope, they follow your orders. Press L and give them the order to "defend" and rhey won't jump into the pilot seat until you order again.

3 hours ago, ZokuGojira said:

Thank you for not suggesting that it's a good workaround.

But yeah, my usual M.O. is to swat all the flies, lay into the crewships with the main battery, then position my RJ somewhere with a clear shot at a couple that are immobilized, hop on the artillery station and blast them. I'd still be delighted to see one or more of Raven-Ghosthawk's suggestions implemented.

I mean, it's the only way to habdle this until DE impllement one (or more) of the suggestions made by this user and a lot more since its a problem for everyone who uses the pilot AI.

Yeah I've noticed I had to stop positioning hired crew for piloting because of this small but annoying issue . You get lined up and your like eat my missiles and then the pilot literally just flying as far away from the crew ship as possible. I've got an idea though what if you could toggle and mark targets from the gunner position to implement a order from your hired pilot since you are Indeed the captain of your railjack. A simple mechanic and it could work . 

8 hours ago, vanaukas said:

nope, they follow your orders. Press L and give them the order to "defend" and rhey won't jump into the pilot seat until you order again.

I mean, it's the only way to habdle this until DE impllement one (or more) of the suggestions made by this user and a lot more since its a problem for everyone who uses the pilot AI.

:sigh: It got to the point that I even suggested a 360-degree artillery out of frustration.

• 1 month later...

After today's, I'm convinced that hired pilots are (to put it extremely politely) intentionally messing with anyone on artillery or slingshot. If a fair distance away, the pilot will fly lazily, and you have to fight the stick to line up a shot.

I parked the Railjack for a clear shot on a dead-in-water crewship. But as I was charging up, the Railjack moved the reticle away from the target as if the pilot boosted away, which has never happened before. I'm pretty pissed off about it now as this was an empty public session, so it wasn't player sabotage.

Slingshot should also be added to that, and possibly disentangle artillery/slingshot from the forward axis.

EDIT: OP updated to include slingshot.

Archived