Do grineer need a visual touch up?

The grineer are looking dated compared to all the recent tile sets and new units the corpus are getting. 

The grineer ship is showing it's age and the main grineer units are really copy paste with not all to tell the difference between a napalm or a bombard.  I think they need to be touched up graphically and maybe slight redesigns here and there.

3 minutes ago, (PSN)Unstar said:

I love the aesthetic of the Grineer units, but it would be nice if the Bombards had a more distinct silhouette so they stood out more, like Heavy Gunners and Nox.

And also glowing rockets when they come at us, instead of a trail of barely visible smoke

5 hours ago, (XBOX)The Neko Otaku said:

The grineer are looking dated compared to all the recent tile sets and new units the corpus are getting. 

The grineer ship is showing it's age and the main grineer units are really copy paste with not all to tell the difference between a napalm or a bombard.  I think they need to be touched up graphically and maybe slight redesigns here and there.

I'm just honestly waiting to see some Handsome Grineer.

XvULG68VkwjSL5JKCYX5xEL-5a-F05uGpvtZldpl

I think the Grineer are definitely in need of the touching up love.  Maybe even throw in a Handsome Squidward one somewhere as a gag lol

Napalms and Bombards look way too similar.  Elite Shield Lancers need special weapons. You don't see the unique Grineer types often enough honestly.  I'd love to be doing a survival somewhere and #*!%ing Vay Hek shows up with a a metric buttload of Ghouls.  Or running around Grineer tilesets with outdoor areas and run across the Mortar Bombards.  The Grineer units on Sedna I think that are element type locked for damage? I forget their names, would be nice to see them elsewhere.

Just like I'd like to see a bunch of the new infested Deimos enemies show up on infested missions around the starchart more often. Imagine a Phorid assasination but he has several of the new Infested enemies in that open area with him.  Could be cool. 

A Ghoul boss could be neat.

7 hours ago, (XBOX)xJdKxZomBiE said:

I'd love to be doing a survival somewhere and #*!%ing Vay Hek shows up with a a metric buttload of Ghouls.

I can imagine it already. You're doing you mission, minding your own business when the lights start to flicker, and on comms you suddenly get "Now we finish this, ONCE AND FOR ALLLLLLL!"  🤭

I'm very reluctant to say Grineer tiles need an update as I dislike passionately the Corpus fleet retrofit tiles. It's like the Corpus aesthetic is very different now and I cannot possibly get used to it - I'm simply not having fun with these maps. My worst fear for an updated Grineer visual style would be changing the Hydron defense map into a convoluted, unlikeable and broken mess like what the Corpus ship defense map has become.

I'm much more fond of the Jupiter Gas City improvements, but I see this whole process as rather hit-n-miss. We might end up with good new Grineer tiles or awful ones. So I'll be conservative here: Grineer maps work, they don't need fixing.

The infested need a graphical overhaul the most i think, nearly all of the old infested units look awful when compared to just about anything else in the game. The old infested decor looks incredibly bad when compared to how good some of the new Deimos assets look. For some reason they even mixed the old assets with the Deimos ones in some instances.

But yeah the Grineer tiles and some units do look pretty rough when compared to all the gorgeous Corpus stuff we've been getting.

1 hour ago, rastaban75 said:

I'm very reluctant to say Grineer tiles need an update as I dislike passionately the Corpus fleet retrofit tiles. It's like the Corpus aesthetic is very different now and I cannot possibly get used to it - I'm simply not having fun with these maps. My worst fear for an updated Grineer visual style would be changing the Hydron defense map into a convoluted, unlikeable and broken mess like what the Corpus ship defense map has become.

I'm much more fond of the Jupiter Gas City improvements, but I see this whole process as rather hit-n-miss. We might end up with good new Grineer tiles or awful ones. So I'll be conservative here: Grineer maps work, they don't need fixing.

The reason why the new Corpus Ship defense tile is terrible is because Defense isn’t well designed with big tilesets. We are off better asking for a defense rework to fit with the newer bigger tileset designs instead of DE making smaller tilesets.

DE seems to be happy with the current grineer aesthetic. They probably only do minor reworks to the existing galleon and asteroid base tilesets. Adding more detail or new rooms without changing too much to the aesthetic. Just like they did to Earth, Grineer Shipyard, and Plains of Eidolon.

the Grineer don't really care much about looks, only that their gear works, so perhaps some more weathered/post-apocalypse vibes for them could be good. admittedly they could have made a few new helm and armour designs when they introduced Drekar and Kuva Grineer, as well as the 3 types in Grineer Railjack missions. it's funny because we used to say the Corpus everywhere all looked the same, but now it's the Grineer, even with the different color variations, their age is starting to show. IMO they should get Faven - the guy who makes the Graxx Tennogen - as a consultant; guy knows how to make Grineer stuff look cool!

IMO they should work on the Asteroid Base tile first, place is boring IMO, but the layouts don't need to change much. a bit more stuff going on like mining machines, Drudge workers, maybe some rooms that have an open view of space outside or even rooms separated by huge gaps between giant rocks that we'd have to traverse;  same kind of thing we already have on some Jupiter tiles, so wouldn't be too much of a stretch I think. 

I think the galleon is fine. It's the asteroid tile that desperately needs an overhaul - if anything to fit in with Kela's boss tile, which was clearly an attempt at reimagining the set's aesthetics. I'd love to see that set being redone, with more possibilities for the skybox be visible. So you know you're in orbit of whatever planet that asteroid floats around. The asteroid tileset also had a few tiles that DE removed early on, which were pretty cool. A the story spiral staircase, a giant ore mining center and a very tall freight elevator like tile, similar to the ones on uranus.

It'd also be fun if they could somehow build the tileset around the transport platform rails they put in some of them. Something that they didn't mention in any patchnotes is that over the past few months they've been adding a new lighting set to the mars tileset.

Spoiler

alCY7JS.jpg

That's something I always wanted them to do with the tilesets you see most often in game, particularly the corpus outpost. It's skybox and lighting is exactly the same whether youre on venus or pluto. Instead of adding an entirely new tileset to either of these, they could just make a "dawn" and "night" version of said tileset depending on how far the planet they're on is away from the sun.

Most of the tiles are out dated on the grineer sides but mostly the asteroid mining colony what needs to be touched up. All of the old tiles should be touched up time to time and some more new but useful room would be handy. Their design is mostly okay I would add a bit more face variations because despite they are clones they could have some variations what they used for cloning. New units and some map touches also would be interesting.

The main deal is to make the maps more mobility compatible so less minor invisible walls and corners what stops you when you try to bullet jump. More secret rooms would be also good and some old room could get simple addons too so they could be more interesting and lead to another corridors or whole rooms.

The old Venus maps also could get some touch but not too much as like the corpus ship, jupiter ones. Ceres, Mercury, Saturn all could be different. Ceres could be a minimg operation place with mining and assembly tech stuffs while Mercury could be space asteroid mining and secret space labors. Saturn could be similar to Corpus Jupiter with some differences and with a prison map.

Few thoughts maybe others can also lump up some extra. What I would change slightly too their weaponry and their movesets.

On 2021-04-30 at 8:48 AM, (XBOX)TyeGoo said:

No. Because DE 'touching' stuff makes units ridiculously OP (railjack earth\venus units\mechanics do more damage than some steel path enemies, reworked corpus got mini rapid fire rocket launchers and are a more than a common unit, and a full group of them can deal up to millions of damage per second at certain lvls) (and DE also likes to bloat new tilesets with unnecessary items that block ways and or hallways that are weird to traverse, both for enemies (that get stuck) and players)

So no. They don't need any of that. 

Visual update/overhaul and some new distinguishable units =/= massively overpowered faction weaponry. I've also had no problems with Corpus since their overhaul so I don't see the issue. 

The grineer always felt to me of "function over form" philosophy.

I do not mind some touch ups , but i would not enjoy changing them too much.

The tilesets themselves could definitely have some improvements (more worn out and used feel , fewer obstructions) but i think they are still operational and dont need a full overhaul like the corpus gas city or corpus ships,

Maybe the asteroid colony could use an actual overhaul.

3 hours ago, 0_The_F00l said:

The grineer always felt to me of "function over form" philosophy.

I do not mind some touch ups , but i would not enjoy changing them too much.

The tilesets themselves could definitely have some improvements (more worn out and used feel , fewer obstructions) but i think they are still operational and dont need a full overhaul like the corpus gas city or corpus ships,

Maybe the asteroid colony could use an actual overhaul.

I wouldn't mind Mr. Potato Head grineer just take the lich concept and make tons of grineer parts and just randomize most grineer units. Bionic Arm on that guy, 2 metal peg legs on that guy etc. Just wear and tear from previous battles, patches to armor etc. 

Archived