Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

why and how are there so many human corpus units?

helpbugsareinme

Professional Warframe noob here, been playing since Heart of Deimos. Ever since the beginning, there's always been a question that's been stuck in my (and i'm sure a lot of others') head: how are there so many human corpus units? 

In every corpus mission, you have the option of slaughtering a plethora of enemies, mortal or robotic. With all of these, I have noticed the sheer quantity of the mortal units in these missions. Considering how there are tons and tons of players slaughtering dozens of corpus by the second, there begs a question of how in the world are there so many human units.

A theory I and a few of my peers concocted goes as follows:
The Corpus are a high-production, high-efficiency based faction that will utilize their resources and technology to it's fullest. With this being said, the Corpus have invented a method of mass-producing their non-robotic units. Units that had the benefits of flesh, with the killing capacity of their robot counterparts. Capitalizing on greed and profits, the Corpus searches far and wide for fit, strong, genetically superior specimens to donate their "organs" for Corpus units reproduction, with a high-profit reward, of course, sitting in the millions of credits. Using a wide array of chemicals and steroids, the Corpus are quickly able to manufacture and reproduce human units with superior growth and strength.

Anyways, this is YOUR daily dose of Warframe Weirdness. I'm a loser with no time who might just get banned from the forums, and I wish you a great day.

(oh yeah btw gauss FTW)😉

Just now, (PSN)Unstar said:

The Corpus use clones for their rank-and-file jobs.  In many Corpus environments you can see "unactivated" clones just hanging like laundry.

I thought those were just suits. Cloning does make sense, though. I just don't see it being to the extent of the Grineer, as nothing is mentioned about corpus cloning and its downsides, if it happened.

6 minutes ago, TheRadicalSpaceNinja470 said:

Aren't those just the crewman suits?

If they were suits, I would expect them to "deflate" in areas, just like how normal clothing doesn't retain a human form/thickness once you've removed it.

6 minutes ago, helpbugsareinme said:

nothing is mentioned about corpus cloning and its downsides, if it happened.

I thought I read about Corpus cloning in-game, but I can't recall where.  I remember at one time that was the explanation for why all Corpus units were male (as opposed to a mix of male and female like the Grineer).

In regards to the downsides, I wouldn't expect their to be downsides like the defects the Grineer had, as those defects were intentionally added by the Orokin to mitigate their ability to rise up.

Here's at least part of what I was remembering; this is from a Cephalon Fragment:

Predominantly a merchant guild, Corpus labour and security forces are composed of mostly purpose-bred humanoid crewmen, and animal-like robots; both equally indoctrinated into a ritualized and propagandist devotion to labour and work.

The exact word "clone" isn't used, so maybe it isn't cloning?  But cloning would at the very least be the most "ethical" way of fulfilling that statement.  The alternatives are incredibly nasty and gross, basically a people farm...which would certainly have its parallels to slavery.

But whatever the method, this "purposeful breeding" is why they've got so many boys.

1 minute ago, (PSN)Unstar said:

Here's at least part of what I was remembering; this is from a Cephalon Fragment:

The exact word "clone" isn't used, so maybe it isn't cloning?  But cloning would at the very least be the most "ethical" way of fulfilling that statement.  The alternatives are incredibly nasty and gross, basically a people farm...which would certainly have its parallels to slavery.

But whatever the method, this "purposeful breeding" is why they've got so many boys.

As stated in the initial theory alleged, perhaps they offer people with good genes a high sum of credits to take their reproductive organs, slap em in a machine and let the steroids, chemicals and thousands of growth hormones do their work.

4 minutes ago, (PSN)Unstar said:

But it really fits within the Corpus' doctrine of efficiency for credits, doesn't it? Having a nasty yet efficient way to produce top-of-the-line troops or workers for the single purpose of raking in money.

Just now, helpbugsareinme said:

As stated in the initial theory alleged, perhaps they offer people with good genes a high sum of credits to take their reproductive organs, slap em in a machine and let the steroids, chemicals and thousands of growth hormones do their work.

Once I've gotten over the horror of "slapping reproductive organs in a machine", it's certainly possible.

For what it's worth, "good genes" isn't really a concept, though.  Every biological strength comes with biological weaknesses, it all depends on what your niche and context are. :)

7 minutes ago, TheRadicalSpaceNinja470 said:

Maybe the crewman suits are more solid then just clothes, considering the different environments they all have to work/fight in.

This is possible, but then we'd still have the question of why there are hangers of suits coming out of the walls of random large rooms?  They can't be in transport because they are attached to the walls, and they're located in very odd places for people to get dressed in.  It would make more sense to have specific rooms for suiting up, and I hesitate to believe that the Corpus - in their endless pursuit for wealth - would tolerate inefficient design at such a basic level.

4 minutes ago, TheRadicalSpaceNinja470 said:

But it really fits within the Corpus' doctrine of efficiency for credits, doesn't it? Having a nasty yet efficient way to produce top-of-the-line troops or workers for the single purpose of raking in money.

Kind of?  Parvos Granum came from poverty and seems to champion working hard to get what you desire.  If you were specifically bred to be limited in that regard...that seems like it might be at odds with his ethos.  But it certainly isn't at odds with capitalism, I agree with you there.

2 minutes ago, (PSN)Unstar said:

This is possible, but then we'd still have the question of why there are hangers of suits coming out of the walls of random large rooms?  They can't be in transport because they are attached to the walls, and they're located in very odd places for people to get dressed in.  It would make more sense to have specific rooms for suiting up, and I hesitate to believe that the Corpus - in their endless pursuit for wealth - would tolerate inefficient design at such a basic level.

You could say that's just a Warframe level design thing. DE obviously doesn't need to hire an architect just to make a level in a game.

1 minute ago, (PSN)Unstar said:

Kind of?  Parvos Granum came from poverty and seems to champion working hard to get what you desire.  If you were specifically bred to be limited in that regard...that seems like it might be at odds with his ethos.  But it certainly isn't at odds with capitalism, I agree with you there.

Parvos could always get his troops in a different way from, say, Alad or Anyo. Parvos may hire workers who've proven themselves to be in pursuit of profit, while the others just wish to see their own workforce increase in number.

1 minute ago, helpbugsareinme said:

You could say that's just a Warframe level design thing. DE obviously doesn't need to hire an architect just to make a level in a game.

I'm not going to do that for multiple reasons.

First, DE puts a lot of work into designing their assets.  While we as players may gloss over them, each asset has to be designed and then modeled and textured and polished and positioned.  Numerous people are a part of that lengthy process, working together to achieve a specific vision.  It's always possible that some aspect of something wasn't considered, because oversights do happen, but it's generally unlikely.  I'm going to default to respecting what DE has produced as matching their vision.

Beyond that, once we as readers decide we can just ignore details that would contradict the narratives we're interested in, everything starts to break down.  The illusion of being in a world, our ability to discuss it, it just gets fractured and ceases to be cohesive.  I don't want that.  On the off-chance that something is accidental, I would rather just consider it part of the world because it's there, because even if it's unintentional, that's the story DE told.

But since this is a detail that contains humanoid bodies, which are at the very least meant to be noticeable and unsettling, it seems like one of the least likely places where DE would be making mistakes.  These are very prominent set pieces, and I trust they were constructed with thought and care.

15 hours ago, TheRadicalSpaceNinja470 said:

Maybe the crewman suits are more solid then just clothes, considering the different environments they all have to work/fight in.

It's worth noting that Crewman suits are actually powered armour, which was first mentioned on one of the devstreams, and confirmed by the presence of a metallic "undersuit" on John Prodman's model (which has had the outer layer on his torso and arms peeled off and tied around his waist to give a "shirtless" appearance).

As a result, they probably hold their shape better than normal clothing while unoccupied.

16 hours ago, TheRadicalSpaceNinja470 said:

Aren't those just the crewman suits?

Was always my assumption. 

It's pretty clear the Corpus are into cloning. Not as much as the Grineer, but they seem to be better at it. The robotics are far more prevalent and make up the difference. 

What we've seen recently is a subgroup of enhanced corpus clones. These are the new shiny and are being cranked out at a prodigious rate. That's what we've been running into more and more of late. 

Keep in mind that as tenno we're on the outside looking in. There are factions of corpus and not all see eye to eye on everything. We simply show up and get a snapshot of what they're up to when we're in contact with them. Some of it is a bit disturbing, but we're not privy to their plans or even their political machinations. The only group we're in regular communications with are the Perrin Sequence and even that is fairly superficial--and not all tenno are on good terms with them. 

6 hours ago, vanaukas said:

weren't most of the corpus forces just people enslaved by debts? 

I thought they're forced to sell their limbs and replaced them with robo parts? Don't forget that they also sold their children's lives, since debts goes for generations.

Anyway, in a game where people are forced to sell their limbs and replaced them with robo parts, i would like to go with "they're not clones". Quoting regor: cloning are too... humane.

59 minutes ago, Soy77 said:

I thought they're forced to sell their limbs and replaced them with robo parts? Don't forget that they also sold their children's lives, since debts goes for generations.

Anyway, in a game where people are forced to sell their limbs and replaced them with robo parts, i would like to go with "they're not clones". Quoting regor: cloning are too... humane.

that's one option for their debts  as brain shelving 

On 2021-04-29 at 2:19 PM, helpbugsareinme said:

A theory I and a few of my peers concocted goes as follows:
The Corpus are a high-production, high-efficiency based faction that will utilize their resources and technology to it's fullest. With this being said, the Corpus have invented a method of mass-producing their non-robotic units.

This is indeed canon. According to the Fragments, Corpus use "purpose-bred" humans for basically everything (including the executive board, so it isn't just for making slaves). They're not full clones like @(PSN)Unstarsuggested, that's the Grineer's schtick, but they are cranking out humans very quickly

On 2021-04-30 at 12:24 AM, (PSN)Unstar said:

The Corpus use clones for their rank-and-file jobs.  In many Corpus environments you can see "unactivated" clones just hanging like laundry.

I don't recall Corpus using cloning tech in lore Grineer do that , meanwhile Fortuna's lore suggest that corpus workers might be breed in large numbers specifically for work much like Solaris have been .

Inside certain Railjack locations, crewmen founding hanging from a rack like clothing will sometimes 'activate' when you approach them.

It's never explained exactly how Crewmen come into existence, but the Neptune Codex entry used to refer to "robotics and synthetics", though I don't think it says that anymore. It seems unlike DE to just slap on something like "yeah they're clones" and call it a day, so I think we'll be getting a more in-depth explanation in the future. Also, Crewman voices sound different from time to time, meaning there is at least some variation between them.

My educated guess is they're indeed the result of a breeding program, as Nef Anyo refers to himself as the result of one. The best examples are then used to assemble humans not unlike Fallout 4's Institute Generation 3 Synths and given cybernetic implants to allow some measure of external control.

vor 11 Minuten schrieb Institute-Marksman:

as Nef Anyo refers to himself as the result of one. 

Could you give a citation on that? I wanted to post the same thing yesterday, but I couldn't find the quote anymore and it is driving me crazy.

vor 13 Minuten schrieb Institute-Marksman:

The best examples are then used to assemble humans not unlike Fallout 4's Institute Generation 3 Synths and given cybernetic implants to allow some measure of external control.

I think it is somewhere mentioned that their helmets control/brainwash them, but I am not 100% certain.

9 hours ago, Sinekanter said:

Could you give a citation on that? I wanted to post the same thing yesterday, but I couldn't find the quote anymore and it is driving me crazy.

Not sure where exactly it can be found, as I last saw it on a yt video. He says it during a quest, probably the one introducing Parvos.

Archived