Companion affinity gain is terrible

Berzerkules

RjP6Hjo.jpg

I realize that solo Steel Path survivals aren't the most efficient method to rank companions but 13,500+ kills in 2 hours for 5 levels on a companion is ridiculous.

I was running a Whiplash Mine and Blast Shield on my Nychus Moa, the moa hit maybe half of the enemies in the mission with those abilities but didn't get the kill so, no affinity gained. If companions  got affinity for kill assists and enemies killed while effected by their abilities it wouldn't be a problem. The way affinity gain works on companions is just terrible though. The companion needs to make the kill or you need to leech. Companions aren't known to be DPS powerhouses so you better get to leeching. When leeching is the best way, something is horribly wrong. 

Companion Affinity
Companions gain their own Affinity, similar to Tenno.

Companion kills: Total Affinity upon kills is equal to that gained by Tenno. The owner of the Companion gains no Affinity.

• Kills with its weapon: Affinity is split between the Companion and its weapon 50/50%.
  • Kills with an ability: All Affinity goes to the Companion.

Companion uses an ability: Amount varies by ability.[investigation needed] 100% goes to the Companion.

Allied Tenno, but not the Companion's owner, kills an enemy: Affinity gained by the Companion does not detract from that gained by its owner.

• Affinity is split between the Companion and its weapon 50/50%.
  • 100% Affinity to the Companion in the absence of a weapon.

54 minutes ago, Dauggie said:

if you had team mates it would have maxed i believe, i just do random ESO and it easily maxes companion, i put no attack mods since they will just go far away and die.

That's the problem. You need to be in a squad to effectively rank a companion because companions get affinity from squad kills and not your own. It creates a situation where afk limbo in ESO is "the best" way to rank gear because you aren't taking away potential kills from team mates. I hear rj is also really good for ranking companions but, ewwww rj.

I wasn't really trying to rank my moa in solo SP survival, it's just what I had equipped when I started mission. I figured it would be a good example to showcase how bad it is trying to rank a companion solo since none of the affinity you earn isn't shared with the companion. 

Actually RJ is a decent method too as fighter kills give a fair amount of affinity towards companions. But don't use an AI crew as their kills won't give any affinity. 

Besides that I support your idea. It should be possible to rank up companions in normal missions in a fair amount of time. 

3 minutes ago, (XBOX)TyeGoo said:

I remember when I tried to discuss this awful distribution.

I was told to go into missions and do NOTHING but let my companion do kills. "Easy fix"

But yeah, compared to railjack distribution, 'old warframe' makes it basically impossible to lvl certain companions. Especially when you play alone. Which again, is not the case with railjack. I was surprised my sentinel lvled at a decent rate despite it being dead at the end.

Yeah, that sucks, observing an AI vs. AI fight is so far from a solution. 

I've had the biggest gripe with companions/sentinels for the longest time. We have 13 sentinel/moa and 15 companions, so much potential for possible synergies there.  It's hard to justify dumping forma and an absurd amount of time into ranking them when their AI and therefore, survivability is awful (that's a totally different topic though). I'd like to fully forma and find a use for all of them but I normally just default to Smeeta or Djinn. 

7 hours ago, Berzerkules said:

That's the problem. You need to be in a squad to effectively rank a companion because companions get affinity from squad kills and not your own. It creates a situation where afk limbo in ESO is "the best" way to rank gear because you aren't taking away potential kills from team mates. I hear rj is also really good for ranking companions but, ewwww rj.

I wasn't really trying to rank my moa in solo SP survival, it's just what I had equipped when I started mission. I figured it would be a good example to showcase how bad it is trying to rank a companion solo since none of the affinity you earn isn't shared with the companion. 

You can do that, but I tend to contribute using Revenant.

Also, a weapon or two here and there can use a Forma adjustment, so that makes it a multi-task task.

On 2021-04-30 at 1:45 AM, Berzerkules said:

Railjack wouldn't be so bad if DE kept Gian Point around.

On 2021-04-30 at 2:09 PM, (XBOX)Helverin said:

Actually RJ is a decent method too as fighter kills give a fair amount of affinity towards companions. But don't use an AI crew as their kills won't give any affinity.

No Railjack is a worse affinity farm than before. Why? Because the plexus leeches all affinity if you get personal kills while piloting and gunning, that includes companions as well. Unfortunately, DE deemed the problem not a high priority to fix. If you want to farm affinity in Railjack, you do not participate in the Railjack space combat at all.

More reason to add to the pile of how terrible the companion system in general.

While I can very easily see how poorly designed this was, I do have to say that places like Hydron, SO and ESO have become such defacto places for levelling that even brand new players are aware of them.

While personally I would appreciate seeing this system worked in a bit, I also realise there are so many things in the game that require the attention of the devs.

So, with places like Hydron, SO and ESO in mind, were a certain amount of “Leeching” is unavoidable, I can’t see the devs setting time aside to fix something that is functionally a non-issue.

I do mean that, too.

Like, how do you max a weapon?

Couple rounds at Hydron.

How do you mad a companion?

Couple rounds at Hydron.

Do you really think it justifies dev time?

Companions also benefit from objective affinity, for example hacking Spy consoles. It’s tedious, but spending those 2 hours grinding a mid-level Spy mission like Pavlov would have been much more productive.

I think mid-level missions work out more efficient than high, because your companion will actually manage to kill things along the way.

Obviously it would be better if you could do it while having fun in missions you like with rewards you want. But still, it is a solo option that will clock pretty much anything in a couple of hours (with a booster).

ALL affinity Acquisition in this Game is Terrible....

On 2021-04-30 at 7:09 AM, Berzerkules said:

When leeching is the best way, something is horribly wrong. 

Pretty much.... The way it works Encourages Leeching....

2 hours ago, Berzerkules said:

8 days later.....

rkZRPd5.jpg

Considering you have to do this Multiple times This is just Unconstitutional.... 

I wonder how the Developers level their Companions....

Open Dev mode and type in:

"COMPANION_01 VARIABLE LEVEL SET TO 30 = TRUE..."

LoL.... Or maybe they just Leech off each other just like we do and then say:

RingedYellowHyrax.webp

This topic has made me curious now.

I tend to go into starchart content geared so that the fights are more of a challenge, and my Kubrow does a pretty good job of holding off and killing one group of enemies while I deal with the other (sometimes I end up really relying on him when things get hairy).

I’ve been meaning to forma my dog again, and this might be a good chance to do so and see how long it takes to get him back up. It’s been years since he’s needed leveling. Either that or finish my goal of building my MOA (again) and getting that leveled.

I’ll probably update this post with an edit once the job’s done, just as a matter of Curiosity Fulfilled, and thanks for the inspiration, @Berzerkules 👍 

Do you know why Moa and Sentinel pets progress so slow? It's because almost nothing in the game actually gives them XP. Kills your Moa makes don't give IT XP. No, that goes to the equipped weapon. Kills you make don't go to it either - they go to your Warframe and weapons. The only way they gain XP is from using abilities, which are what? 100 XP per cast? The only reasonable way to get companion progression is shared Affinity in some fashion - either Tenno Affinity from other players or the "about equal distribution" of mission objective Affinity. Spy is pretty good for levelling pets because a perfect vault run grants a fairly large chunk. Railjack similarly helps since each objective has a large Affinity reward attached to it.

Can I just say something, though? XP distribution in this game is bullS#&$. This idea that XP goes predominantly to the tool you use causes so many irritating edge cases like this that I wonder if it's even worth it. What's the point in the first place? Nominally, I guess you can level individual items a little faster that way. Practically, it feels like DE attempting to force us to use weapons in order to level them up, instead of levelling them up passively. As though that's a huge enough issue to matter. Time and again, attempts to block "exploits" end up hurting legitimate users without doing much to actually block said exploits.

Well, my patience is running low. To this I say "screw it." Give me XP for everything I have equipped regardless of whether I'm using it or have it equipped.

Archived