Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Yareli is the first "Y" warframe...

KnossosTNC

...which leaves just D, J, Q and U on the English alphabet. And since Yareli is another ascended fan concept, it got me thinking if there are any other interesting fan concepts that could be used to fill the remaining gaps. Does anyone know any?

Also, it continues to baffle me that there hasn't been a "D" warframe yet. I kinda felt that should come pretty naturally.

13 minutes ago, (PSN)Deeceem said:

Some people used to call old Limbo a "D".

s reactions smile GIF

lol.

7 minutes ago, Drachnyn said:

oh that's actually a big brain strat to get your fan concept noticed by DE: just have the initial be a letter the warframe alphabet doesnt have yet.

z3qIKU1.gif

6 hours ago, KnossosTNC said:

which leaves just D, J, Q and U on the English alphabet.

guess I'd better start on 4 frame concepts:

Dingus, the dumb warframe

Jumbo, the Sumo Frame

Quornus, the Vegetarian Frame

Uberion, the Taxi driver frame.

these should work, right?

personally i think we have too many warframes now. All the new frames are just re-spins of the same gimmicks we already have.

Lavos = Chroma
Sevagoth = Nekros
Yareli = Hydroid

Which is fine, but it shows how they're running out of "new/different" concepts to make warframes based around. And before someone says it, xaku isn't DE made, its fan made so he don't fully count. Besides, its a bit of a stretch, but he ain't too far off from limbo.

45 minutes ago, Joezone619 said:

personally i think we have too many warframes now. All the new frames are just re-spins of the same gimmicks we already have.

Lavos = Chroma
Sevagoth = Nekros
Yareli = Hydroid

Which is fine, but it shows how they're running out of "new/different" concepts to make warframes based around. And before someone says it, xaku isn't DE made, its fan made so he don't fully count. Besides, its a bit of a stretch, but he ain't too far off from limbo.

There's inevitability going to be overlap in themes as you continue to grow the list of frames but I'd call it a stretch to say all the new ones are re-spins on gimmicks we already have.

Of the three you listed Lavos and Chroma have the most merit with their element mixing, but they do totally different things with it, Chroma choses one to buff himself and allies, Lavos mixes them to deal the different damage effects to enemies. Though even here there's a huge distinction given Chroma just picks and element and that's it where Lavos can mix them and use the combined ones too.  There's nothing wrong however with two frames occupying the same theme so long as they keep out of each other space, in fact a lot would prefer it as many see a theme they love, hate/dislike the frame that gets it and would love it to get a second, different go around.  

Sevagoth = Nekros starts and ends with their shared "reaper" aesthetic, beyond that they don't occupy the same conceptual or mechanical grounds at all, one is a frame about looting and creating a minion army, the other is about slowing you to a crawl ripping you apart with shadow magic, ripping itself apart to then kill you again with it's shadow. 

We know literally nothing about Yareli other than "water themed" which could even be coolant for all we know, but if that's enough for you to think she equals Hydroid, well it explains why you think the frames are so samey, though I don't recall Hydroid riding a k-drive or throwing glaives but might just be my memory. 

And I'm not even going to touch the "Xaku = Limbo". wouldn't even know where to begin with that one.  

1 hour ago, Joezone619 said:

Lavos = Chroma
Sevagoth = Nekros
Yareli = Hydroid

16 minutes ago, BlitzAceRush said:

There's inevitability going to be overlap in themes as you continue to grow the list of frames but I'd call it a stretch to say all the new ones are re-spins on gimmicks we already have.

Of the three you listed Lavos and Chroma have the most merit with their element mixing, but they do totally different things with it, Chroma choses one to buff himself and allies, Lavos mixes them to deal the different damage effects to enemies. Though even here there's a huge distinction given Chroma just picks and element and that's it where Lavos can mix them and use the combined ones too.  There's nothing wrong however with two frames occupying the same theme so long as they keep out of each other space, in fact a lot would prefer it as many see a theme they love, hate/dislike the frame that gets it and would love it to get a second, different go around.  

Sevagoth = Nekros starts and ends with their shared "reaper" aesthetic, beyond that they don't occupy the same conceptual or mechanical grounds at all, one is a frame about looting and creating a minion army, the other is about slowing you to a crawl ripping you apart with shadow magic, ripping itself apart to then kill you again with it's shadow. 

We know literally nothing about Yareli other than "water themed" which could even be coolant for all we know, but if that's enough for you to think she equals Hydroid, well it explains why you think the frames are so samey, though I don't recall Hydroid riding a k-drive or throwing glaives but might just be my memory. 

And I'm not even going to touch the "Xaku = Limbo". wouldn't even know where to begin with that one.  

Don't forget Vauban and Protea.

13 minutes ago, (PSN)DoctorWho_90250 said:

Don't forget Vauban and Protea.

I was only covering their examples, but as I said there's going to be overlap the key is as I said that they can have the same theme while keeping out of each other's space which I think DE do a good job at. 

2 hours ago, Joezone619 said:

Lavos = Chroma
Sevagoth = Nekros
Yareli = Hydroid

It’s hard to come up with original ideas these days. If you have too many playable characters there is bound to be some theme overlapping. League of Legends, Overwatch, or any game that has so much playable character all have the same problem.

I had almost forgotten the  alphabet completion.

If I ever have kids , they will know a is for Ash , the patron saint of murder.

As to the rest of the conversation ,I think we reached saturation of ability effects.

So unless there is a dramatic technology change in warframe all new abilities will remind us of older abilities (with some tweaks) like a Frankenstein's monster. From a mechanics perspective.

I personally feel they should no longer release new frames with the same frequency.

Maybe half the frequency (twice as long) , and put in a " chaos god's gift" to one existing (but minimally used) frame.

2 hours ago, BlitzAceRush said:

oClBku1.png

13 hours ago, (PSN)robotwars7 said:

Uberion, the Taxi driver frame.

9 hours ago, BlitzAceRush said:

And we could say Sevagoth = Inaros because of its "reconstruction" thing. ;)

6 hours ago, 0_The_F00l said:

As to the rest of the conversation ,I think we reached saturation of ability effects.

So unless there is a dramatic technology change in warframe all new abilities will remind us of older abilities (with some tweaks) like a Frankenstein's monster. From a mechanics perspective.

Unless they allow us to have fun they will stuck with same stuff like buff X, exterminate Y, Sleep, Mind controll etc. Technology might help but it's not so important as "fun aspect".

Look at Xaku. Look at Xaku's Grasp of Lohk. What's it now? Thing that can destroy anything in range... like many other abilities. What it might be? Things to disarm enemies. Something different and weaker than Loki's. But no, we need to use old stuffs -> kill.

Of course I'm not saying something is good or bad. We just need different stuffs.

20 hours ago, KnossosTNC said:

..which leaves just D, J, Q and U on the English alphabet. And since Yareli is another ascended fan concept, it got me thinking if there are any other interesting fan concepts that could be used to fill the remaining gaps. Does anyone know any?

Also, it continues to baffle me that there hasn't been a "D" warframe yet. I kinda felt that should come pretty naturally.

We don't have probably many letters. Why? English likes to use same sounds with different letters. Like Xaku starts like Zephyr.

They could always do Donar, a Thor themed frame, Qayin a Kain father of murder frame, Urd a norn/fate themed frame and Jormungand a frame themed around the world serpent, or Jotun a frame based on... well, jotuns... or uhm house paint.

On 2021-05-02 at 3:43 AM, Joezone619 said:

Lavos = Chroma
Sevagoth = Nekros
Yareli = Hydroid

Tbf the game has been going for nearly 10 years now with almost 50 base frames not including primes. There's inevitably going to be some overlap in general themes but DE do a good enough job to make them feel distinct. Sevagoth and Nekros share the death/reaper theme but they play completely different. Nekros is the "necromancer" of the game who summons the souls of the dead to do his bidding for him. Sevagoth harnesses shadow magic to control the battlefield and reap souls with his shadow form. Lavos and Chroma are almost nothing alike besides the focus on elements. 

Look at Smite. They have gods that share similar themes but they play different and have their own signature abilities. It's already been stated but Yareli is looking like a frame that uses some kind of K-drive and water glaive weapons. Her general theme may be water but so far she sounds nothing like Hydroid. We will have to see in the next dev stream but I'm calling it right now, the two will play completely differently.

The only similarities Xaku and Limbo have are the void theme. That's about it. They harness it in totally different ways. 

For a game that's been going for as long as it has with this many frames I would say DE have done a solid job making them feel different. It's one of the most diverse rosters I've ever seen in a game and new frames always get people coming back for a reason. 

Archived