Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Concept: Chroma Rework

KVenom

Hello there. As most of you know, our Dragon Boi needs some hefty rework done. His 1 and 4 are still underwhelming, and thanks to Shield Gating only steel path enemies seem to activate his only good feature - his 3's Damage Buff.

So yeah, after seeing Sevagoth and mussing around certain forgotten weapons, I came up with a whole concept of a rework:

1. Spectral Scream - increase the damage by 10% . Also allow to switch the damage type on the fly, instead of forcing us to turn it off every time. Simple, not really interesting, just a base upgrade.
  2. Elemental Ward - Allow us to recast the buff before the timer runs out, just like Vex Armor. Of course, the old buff should be removed upon casting of the new one, to prevent stacking different elemental buffs.
  3. Passive - Make the Extra Credits buff from Effigy instead apply to all the kills made by the player with this Warframe equipped. Triple Jump is cool, but we won't need it, because of the next part.
  4. Effigy - it's current version is, frankly, boring and useless. So, this one gonna be a huge change:
  • Effigy is now Tethered to Chroma's back. It attacks with it's own Spectral Scream when Chroma makes a Melee Attack, and when Chroma uses firearms, Effigy shoots an Orb, that works like a Mutalist Quanta Alt fire.
    Technicly, Effigy should become an Exalted Sentinel, like Venari for Khora(except immortal, non-moddable and non-customizeable), and Scream and Orb should be Prime&Alt fires of it's non-changeable weapon. Both Scream's damage and Orb's damage&damage increase should be affected by Ability Strength. Aim of Effigy should be switched from AI to Player's Aim.
  • Effigy Should become a Duration-based non-recastable ability, like Elemental Ward currently is. Toggle abilities don't really suit Chroma's general playstyle, he already got a Spectral Scream for that.
  • Now here's the best part: While Effigy is active, Chroma gains an ability to switch modes: from Walking to Flying, and back. Mode switch should be activated by holding Jump button while in the air.
  • Flight mode: basicly an archwing-like "transformation"(no special animation, just add some "whoosh" sound effect), that lacks Archwing Teleport, and forces Melee to use Aerial Strikes of it's stance. The transformation is forcibly deactivated when ability ends. Chroma should use basic aerial Warframe animations, and flight speed should be affected by Sprint Speed mods and other modifiers for that parameter(infested mobility, speed, etc.). Also Archwing should NOT be useable while the Flight mode is active. And yes Effigy should be forcibly deactivated when using Archwing in Free Roam locations.
  • While Active, Effigy should either mimic Chroma's Gestures or just make it's own actions, depending on the Emote. Yes, that idea was borrowed from Wukong's Celestial Twin.
    Спойлер

And yes, this is a Jojo Reference.

• Activating Effigy Should buff the Damage(by 20%) and Spread(by 30%)(not RANGE! just make cone wider) of Chroma's own Spectral Scream, while Effigy should use the original, non-buffed version.
  • Base Stats of Effigy: Cost(60 energy), Duration(30 seconds), Spectral Scream(200 Damage of Chroma's current element), Spectral Orb(300 Damage of current element on hit, adds 10% of True Damage to all Player projectiles/hitscan vectors passing through, deals 500 of the Chroma's current element on explosion, delay between shots is 2.5 secondsnot affected by mods, lifetime is 4 secondsnot affected by mods), Flight Speed(0.9). Both Spectral Scream and Spectral Orb ARE NOT affected by any Crit Chance/Multiplier Buffs(Harrow/Cats) and have no Crit Chance or Multiplier, just like Chroma's own Spectral Scream.

So, what do you guys think? Maybe you want something explained or removed? At any rate, discussions are always open. Peace!

As far as I understand concept looks absolutely rad, but I don't understand one thing. Is effingy always part of the frame or does it detach in some scenarios? From what you explained it looks like its attached, but later you say that effingy follows its own movement like a separate object.

Also, frame does look a bit overloaded at this point. It is a great idea but lets leave some room for other frames to outshine Chroma in few missions.

Lets keep effingy as Chroma's passive. A back-cannon which fires projectiles, debuffs and buffs. Make his 4 an ability to control his backcannon: click and hold to switch between attack or wings. Attack mode would fire a exploding projective that does minor damage, but applies some status effects (similar how Cedo's secondary fire) every now and then, maybe also slows (ya know a drake just threw up at some poor souls a toxic sludge, it could be sticky) and wing mode would simply increase your movement - higher parkour velocity, additional bullet jump, slower falling, immunity to knockdowns and minor increase to movement speed. Much simpler and much more likely to actually happen

Spectre scream is just a very poor ability in general at the moment and your suggestion is like bringing a duct tape to fix broken vase :/

we should either be able to use it while firing our weapons, or straight on replaced with something else 

В 02.05.2021 в 02:53, FallenDisco сказал:

As far as I understand concept looks absolutely rad, but I don't understand one thing. Is effingy always part of the frame or does it detach in some scenarios? From what you explained it looks like its attached, but later you say that effingy follows its own movement like a separate object.

Also, frame does look a bit overloaded at this point. It is a great idea but lets leave some room for other frames to outshine Chroma in few missions.

Lets keep effingy as Chroma's passive. A back-cannon which fires projectiles, debuffs and buffs. Make his 4 an ability to control his backcannon: click and hold to switch between attack or wings. Attack mode would fire a exploding projective that does minor damage, but applies some status effects (similar how Cedo's secondary fire) every now and then, maybe also slows (ya know a drake just threw up at some poor souls a toxic sludge, it could be sticky) and wing mode would simply increase your movement - higher parkour velocity, additional bullet jump, slower falling, immunity to knockdowns and minor increase to movement speed. Much simpler and much more likely to actually happen

Spectre scream is just a very poor ability in general at the moment and your suggestion is like bringing a duct tape to fix broken vase :/

we should either be able to use it while firing our weapons, or straight on replaced with something else 

Let's start with the first question:

Yes, Effigy is still a separate object, like it always was.Current Effigy just spawns it where Chroma casts the ability, and it stays there as a sentry gun But it will CLOSELY follow Chroma and will be practicly attached to him. Like a Sentinel. You know, Carrier, Taxon, Dethcube? Except it's located directly behind Chroma.  Here's a demonstration how that would look like. And no, I repeat, Effigy will stay like it always was - not customizeable or moddable, just an entity which is summoned by Chroma's Ability. Only it's behavior will be changed from a complex AI to a simple copycat that responds to Players attacks in an appropriate manner and aims at the same point as Player's crosshair.

Second thing: no, Chroma will not be overloaded. Because he will still be just a Weapon Damage Dealer, meaning that he won't be able to wipe out the whole map like Equinox or Saryn would. That and his role as a buffer will only become stronger. Spectral Ball is only usefull for people with projectiles and bullets. Which means Kuva Nukor and Amprex are not gonna benefit from that at all. Also flight is a better replacement for a triple jump, and makes a much better use of his wings. Basicly, casting Effigy will trigger 3 things: Spawn Effigy Sentinel, unlock Flight Mode for Chroma and Buff his Spectral Scream.

Keep in mind, that my concept is actually plausible, due to using only the code that is in the game: Titania(Archwing flight), Wukong/Pet Moa(Spawned Entity responds to player's warframe's gestures/emotes), Mutalist Quanta(Spectral Ball), Khora(Sentinel Spawn), Cats/Dogs/Mutants and Necramechs(hidden unmoddable weapon).
Not even new gameplay animations will be required, since it will only use the ones that are already in the game. And gesture animations will be easy to implement, since most of them will be copies of basic warframe gesture animations+Roar animation from Umbra or Sevagoth's Shadow for gestures that shouldn't be copied(like Nartas).

As for Spectral Scream - buffing the damage on it's own(to 220 per second) will improve it as an ability by alot, while new Effigy will turn it into an Ignis Wraith on STEROIDS. Sure, no crit, but the spray of 100% status chance Fire Damage that hits in a large cone, has a decent DPS(264) and spreads like Amprex or Kuva Nukor -  that's pretty good, especially with Chroma's Buffs from his 3 skill. Now imagine all that with 200 Power Strength or more.
FYI, good Chroma is usually built for 300% Strength or more.

I am not repairing a broken vase with duct tape here, I'm reparing with pure gold, baby!

1 hour ago, KVenom said:

Also flight is a better replacement for a triple jump, and makes a much better use of his wings.

I cant agree on that part. Flight is very uncomfortable to use in tight normal mission runs even as titania. In her example It can get used to it. Wukong can fly because he actually shrinks his hitbox as well and floats as a cloud. Chroma on the other hand he is a dragon. Dragons dont shrink themselves to fly. Quite an opposite, they would rather enlarge. Chroma already has a massive mass using him in normal missions would not only be uncomfortable but also unnecessary. For open worlds you already have an archwing so why would we have a 3rd archwing frame in game.

I get it that you're trying to make Chroma into an attack helicopter that uses firearms as his weapons in an efficient way and its an amazing idea. But that would work better in a game entirely based around open world gameplay. Its not for warframe.

As for the stand I can already see how much problems it can give. DE have problems with some attachemnts to cover your aim and what about effingy. If it followed you it would be either too slow for you, or too fast depending on what you're doing. At this point even current effingy works better since you can leave a sentry to care one spot while you go collect loot

2 минуты назад, FallenDisco сказал:

I cant agree on that part. Flight is very uncomfortable to use in tight normal mission runs even as titania. In her example It can get used to it. Wukong can fly because he actually shrinks his hitbox as well and floats as a cloud. Chroma on the other hand he is a dragon. Dragons dont shrink themselves to fly. Quite an opposite, they would rather enlarge. Chroma already has a massive mass using him in normal missions would not only be uncomfortable but also unnecessary. For open worlds you already have an archwing so why would we have a 3rd archwing frame in game.

I get it that you're trying to make Chroma into an attack helicopter that uses firearms as his weapons in an efficient way and its an amazing idea. But that would work better in a game entirely based around open world gameplay. Its not for warframe.

As for the stand I can already see how much problems it can give. DE have problems with some attachemnts to cover your aim and what about effingy. If it followed you it would be either too slow for you, or too fast depending on what you're doing. At this point even current effingy works better since you can leave a sentry to care one spot while you go collect loot

A HUMAN-sized Dragon. Not to mention that our hit and phys areas shrink when we jump or dash, due to shift in hitboxes and physboxes according to the animation. Basicly, you get a fat Tiatnia without Exalted Weapons. Which means you are still faster than Volt, and have a better maneuverability, all while being capable of shooting and using your normal melee.
I mean, it's like using a Bullet Jump, but without Gravity.

Ever been in early Railjack? There was a glitch that allowed to run in space without archwing and it's weapons. And it was an amazing experience, slashing a nikana at Grineer fighters and dashing around in 360 degrees in all directions as Gauss.

8 hours ago, KVenom said:

Ever been in early Railjack? There was a glitch that allowed to run in space without archwing and it's weapons. And it was an amazing experience, slashing a nikana at Grineer fighters and dashing around in 360 degrees in all directions as Gauss.

Cant forget such experience. It was sure funny, but to make it into warframe? I dunno. Maybe if it gets utilized correctly, but as the time stands I dont see it as a best idea for warframe. It may be just me tho. Not many people responded to this post yet.

В 02.05.2021 в 14:16, FallenDisco сказал:

Cant forget such experience. It was sure funny, but to make it into warframe? I dunno. Maybe if it gets utilized correctly, but as the time stands I dont see it as a best idea for warframe. It may be just me tho. Not many people responded to this post yet.

Of course it will. The code is in the game, just apply how that broken algoryth works, add some constraints(mode enable trigger(warframe Ability Activation), conditions for activation, force melee into aerial stance only) and remove some unneeded parts of the code(Dash Teleport) - and we have a glorious flying Dragon Stand User.

Just imagine people going in Captura, making Jojo references with him and Sevagoth. Not to mention Chroma's viability as a Buffer and Giant Roaming Boss Hunter - it will SKYROCKET.

• 2 months later...

Hello guys, i would like to give my ideas to a chroma rework abilities that i hope DE will see and may take some ideas from it or even change few things to fit their convinience......So lets begin and please read until the very end !!!

Passive :

Chroma could keep the fact that he has a second double jump. (it might be great with the use of a sniper or the strongest bows) but he could also have the ability that no other warframe will have and it is to be able to have self-damage on its own because now no one use chroma because of the fact that we can't get a high porcentage with vex armor without it.

1st Ability :

The same old spectral scream we have always know with of course the ability of choosing a element between fire, ice, electricity, and poison but it has way more punch (so we keep the 100% statut) And it has a synergy with the 2nd ability that i will explain soon.

2nd Ability :

Same old elemental ward with the effects that are provided by the elements ( fire give more health, ice give more armor, electricity give more shields, and poison has a chance of dealing poisoning to ennemies ) BUT lets talk about the synergy i've imagined !!! So my idea is based on the fact that  we can have now a fire breath but having at the same time a ice shield, correct ? So why not fuse the two differents elements. Let me explain, if at some point in a mission you need more armor then you can change the element to ice, cast the ice armor and then change the element to fire and so combine the elements and making a more powerful breath that deal explosive damage (blast) and there is 6 combination in total and if you had the same element in both abilities it just make the elemental breath even more powerful and thank to my idea chroma will be able to deal with every kind of foe and to use that combined element ability you only need to press one more time the 1st ability button after chose the elements like a normal spectral scream cast.

So let me explain my vision of this synergy and all combined elements of what it should looks like but of course they keep their advantage like Corrosive still strip ennemies armor by 25% or even more if we use vex armor and etc... :

Heat + Cold : Blast -> Release multiple fire stream that froze anything it touch and then the crystals explode after few seconds.

Electricity + toxin : Corrosive -> Release acid puddle on the path of Chroma where it aimed.

Heat + Toxin : Gas -> Release and spread clouds of gas that have a high chance to poisons anyone who dare breathes them.

Cold + Electricity : Release some sort of sphere made with ElectroMagnetic Pulse the disrupt the ennemies shields.

Heat + Electricity : Radiation -> Release a nuclear beam like Wisp more or less but with less graphics details than wisp. 

Cold + Toxin : Viral -> Release spores in the air that goes randomly around chroma and infect any foes to close to him. 

3rd Ability :

Typicaly a huge buff to vex armor so it still gives an enormous damage stacks to his abilities, weapons and like elemental ward, he shares it with fellow tenno on his team but with something new.......We all know that chroma transforms the damage he recieve into energy that make him stronger but my guess is where does all that energy go after the time limit, did it simply vanish ??

So my idea is that chroma could store all the energy he would amass during that time period and when he reach the limit, he focus all of the porcentage he got into a energy orb (with the size of an hand) on the palm of his right hand and then break it by clench his fist, this will create an huge burst so to say a massive explosion that will do void + current element of spectral scream damage. Or it can be something other than that, DE will be the judge of the final decision ;) 

4th Ability : 

For the ultimate, i have thought that we could keep the name effigy but change the whole ability by making chroma turn himself into a dragon. This ability, even so will be really good at apparence could make all of his abilities have a great range  so we can share even more buffs to far allies on the map and because vex armor boost only the damages not the range.

I know there will be size problems so i think that on this form, chroma should stand on his arms and legs like an horse and will be big enough to still passes doors but bigger than his human size. In apparence, his wings will always been active. His claws, horns, tails, arms , legs and his neck will grow and gets bigger and sharper during the time limit and because of the fact that he can't use his weapons but only his abilities, and his signature melee weapon will be his tail. And with the different skin chroma has, he could transform into different types of dragon, for exemple a chinese dragon like with the dinasty deluxe skin but i understand that it will take an huge effort from DE to make all those dragons forms.

I really hope that you guys enjoy reading my ideas on this topic, and if so, don't hesitate to take and share those ideas so DE could saw them and maybe (in my dreams) they will apply and add them to the game so we can all enjoy chroma, the elemental dragon frame, once again !!!

(Ps: if you want to take my idea and call them your own I don't mind at all, you can even upgrade them at will. All I wish is to see one day those new power be given to chroma, my favorite warframe. )

• 1 month later...
В 20.07.2021 в 13:49, _Achillean_ сказал:

Heat + Cold : Blast -> Release multiple fire stream that froze anything it touch and then the crystals explode after few seconds.

Electricity + toxin : Corrosive -> Release acid puddle on the path of Chroma where it aimed.

Heat + Toxin : Gas -> Release and spread clouds of gas that have a high chance to poisons anyone who dare breathes them.

Cold + Electricity : Magnet -> Release some sort of sphere made with ElectroMagnetic Pulse the disrupt the ennemies shields.

Heat + Electricity : Radiation -> Release a nuclear beam like Wisp more or less but with less graphics details than wisp. 

Cold + Toxin : Viral -> Release spores in the air that goes randomly around chroma and infect any foes to close to him. 

This thing should be an augment for 1st or 2nd skill.

59 minutes ago, KVenom said:

This thing should be an augment for 1st or 2nd skill.

To me a simple adjustments of changing his vex armor into a channeling ability that channels your shields and health would be easiest. It would be no different than applying self damage. Except maybe safer. 

His effigy should act more like a sentinel. Where it floats slightly above you and provides protection. Health, shields, and armor affects its stats, such as the crankier chroma is, the tankier the effigy is. So Vex Armor and Elemental ward could buff it up. As a fourth ability it should be similar to wukong’s clone where it simply remains until killed or canceled. While it has its own attacks, spectral scream should make it deliver a second stream. Maybe chroma has the unique ability to have 2 different energy colors, one for him and the other for his effigy. Which will make their spectral screams be 2 different attributes which can combine to deal a fused elemental damage. 

Spectral Scream should be able to tap to fire a single elemental explosive while holding makes him shoot out a stream that gets longer to hold. Basically hold will activate it alternative function, to cancel requires tapping to make him end it with an elemental explosive. Hold again while already active will make its range increase. 

Elemental Ward should be held to change attribute. Much like equinox, the default color simply dictates which attribute you start off with. While holding Elemental Ward will make the attribute change. Which becomes evident with a sort of elemental aura emitting from his body. 

Doing that would make chroma not only usable again, but for more than just his Vex Armor.

Archived