Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tenno's Best Friend: Combat Based Docks For Sentinels

Aden

So from what I can see a lot of players want something like Alad V's dog for themselves so here's something I think is practical and just might work in game.

For each sentinel currently in game make something like a docking port. When docked the sentinel becomes more combat based than utility and the becomes something similar to Alad's pet in appearance but has been tailored to the style of the sentinel. Anything that you put on the sentinel cosmetically would also effect the appearance of the sentinel dock. This would have some drawbacks however, if a tenno like Loki or Ash invis the docked sentinel (unless it's shade of course) will not cloak with them. They will still have similar aggression levels as when they are not docked (the difference between shade and death cube, yes I'm looking at you you twitching, trigger happy, lunch box) and will perform similar actions but will overall be used for distractions or tactical strikes. The player would be able to command them to an extent using specialized waypoints, one example being marking an enemy with the docked shade and making it cloak and sneak in to do a stealth attack on one enemy while its master takes down the enemy that was in the now dead guards line of sight just moments before. It's a possibility, probably be difficult to work out the kinks, but a possibility and will make the ones begging for a pet dog happy, heck you could even have fight clubs in the dojos with them.

Have a laugh, give feed back, look at other posts.

later

Yes all the way.

I especially endorse your 'special tactics' with Shade stealth killing an enemy, maybe Dethcube could attract aggro from surrounding enemies for a diversion, Wyrm acts as a guardian (stuns and specializes at taking down multiple enemies), Carrier could maybe act as a Scavenger, and go around trying to collect (spawn) extra resources from enemy corpses.

+1 to you sir.

If any of you want to post specializations for the "evolved" sentinels then post away! Some concept art would be interesting to see so again, have at it.

Challenge Accepted

I shall return relatively shortly :D

Edited by Siubijeni

yes I'm looking at you you twitching, trigger happy, lunch box

This also made me laugh. xD

I love this idea though. I play almost entirely solo (I get tons of lag when I play online :c), so it'd be nice to have an ally that runs around and can be more tactical that a floating machine gun (though I still love my homicidal lunchbox).

If Alad's Pet is released, it should work with the following Sentinels respectively:

Wyrm: Loaded with Pulse ray guns along with Ion cannons. Mainly used for staying beside its master and providing support

Shade: Like OP stated, is usually a lone wolf that takes tactical vantage points and takes down enemies. Can be armed with a back-mounted version of the Lanka.

Dethcube: Sports a chaingun and a set of missile launchers, mainly used to draw aggression from nearby enemies and act as a slow, yet highly efficient tank.

Carrier: Serves a similar role to Wyrm in terms of combat support, however can use his vacuum to absorb projectiles and shoot it back out as a ball of energy. Can also search random dead bodies for some good loot (resources, Mods).

I don't really know how Djinn works, and from the talk around the forum, I probably don't want to know. :Jl

If Alad's Pet is released, it should work with the following Sentinels respectively:

Wyrm: Loaded with Pulse ray guns along with Ion cannons. Mainly used for staying beside its master and providing support

Shade: Like OP stated, is usually a lone wolf that takes tactical vantage points and takes down enemies. Can be armed with a back-mounted version of the Lanka.

Dethcube: Sports a chaingun and a set of missile launchers, mainly used to draw aggression from nearby enemies and act as a slow, yet highly efficient tank.

Carrier: Serves a similar role to Wyrm in terms of combat support, however can use his vacuum to absorb projectiles and shoot it back out as a ball of energy. Can also search random dead bodies for some good loot (resources, Mods).

I don't really know how Djinn works, and from the talk around the forum, I probably don't want to know. :Jl

I like, I like, but let's not turn these into re-skins of wolf from Metal Gear Rising: Revengence (horrible title by the way). while he was cool let's make sure it stays warframe.

Concerning the "evolved" sentinels, as I will now be calling them, after reading your post here's a few ideas for you to work off of.

The evolved shade would probably be best served with a small but flexible arsenal including claws (or some form of melee), a suppressed pistol for medium ranged stealth kills, and some form of long rifle or auxiliary weapon that could be swapped out with others from the tenno's inventory. The pistol (or whichever sub weapon is equipped to it at the time) would remain limited to the sentinel weapons that are available while not "docked" and the melee would remain fixed on "claws.

Deathcube, instead of aggro, would provide a dps role. Utilizing heavy weaponry and a modified version  of vaporize(I'm thinking moa stomp).

If any one of theses evolved were going to be aggro generators it'd be the evolved djin. Fatal attraction is made for drawing in attention and bringing long-medium range enemies close enough to cut, stab, bludgeon, or whatever sort of brutal mutilation you deem fit to force upon their falling corpses. It would most likely be focused around melee combat and use abilities similar to Sayrn's toxic dot.

Wyrm would fill in crowd control and would specialize in targeting and killing multiple enemies at once.

Sounds like this just might start to develop into something tangible, hope this interest keeps up long enough for someone at DE to consider.(not likely but I can hope)

Why do I have the picture in my head of a Start Wars X-Wing with a Shade in the place of and R-Class unit?

Sci-fi genre game and we're talking about lower form AI's integrating and controlling something larger and makes a much nicer boom. That's why.

M'kay, please bear in mind that this is just a very quick concept drawing thrown together in like 10 minutes--you'll notice I didn't even bother with shading. If these things get to being more popular I can redo them better, but at that point you'd be better off getting someone better at that art style because I'm mostly a 3d artist :P My concept sketches aren't as good as a lot of other people's.

That said, with the introduction my rendition of the first of these, might I suggest a name for these? I was thinking about what they do in turning a sentinel--a watcher, aide and assisstant--into a more aggressive and combatant unit. The name that I've taken to using in my head, and that I would like to suggest, is Warmonger. So here's my rendition of the Shade Warmonger, which could perhaps be called Reaper or Twilight:

When slaved to the REAPER Shade loses all restraint, becoming a metal beast that whirls across the battlefield rending flesh and dispensing high-caliber rounds with mechanical precision, while infiltrating the enemy's lines to remove the most dangerous foes.

Reaper is the most fragile of the Warmongers, but is equipped with a cloaking device and quite agile to make up for this. His claws are as sharp as any sword, and the high-caliber sniper rifle mounted on his back is not just for show.

GHOST PRECEPT: Where Shade will cloak both itself and its owner to evade a fight, Reaper will cloak itself to maximize its mayhem. Works like Ghost normally does, really, except that Reaper only cloaks itself and its melee attacks do not disrupt the cloak.

REVENGE PRECEPT: Reaper will automatically attack nearby enemies with its claws, with the Revenge precept affecting only the effectiveness of his sniper (bolt-action like the Vectis)... the sniper prioritizes targets first by enemies attacking Reaper himself, then by enemies attacking his master.

*NEW* EVISCERATE PRECEPT: Reaper will attempt to stealth kill any unalerted enemy (unalerted to him, not you) marked by his owner's waypoint. The level of Eviscerate determines the stealth-damage multiplier, which is based upon his normal combat damage. The higher the level of Eviscerate, the better Reaper is at stealth-kills.

960188_10151931743139000_933130591_n.jpg

Many of you will have noted that Shades arms are quite flexible and fluid, not as rigid as a static drawing makes them seem. Thus, on Reaper they would appear as and serve as feeler/manipulator digits. Kinda like a spider?

Next up... I think I'll do Dethcube or maybe Wyrm.

Edited by Siubijeni

It's a very nice and unique concept, however it doesn't really look TOO much like Alad's pet.

Either way, It's a concept, so no penalties awarded. :p

In relevance to the OP's post, he said that each Dock should be the same, but changes depending on the Sentinel, so I'm guessing same general shape yet more defined features? Such as the sniper rifle on Shade, the Wyrm may have a bazooka, or Dethcube may have dual chainguns and rocket pods. I don't know :s

I don't know about them all being exactly the same, but yes I was thinking of them all being similar with more defined features or slightly altered physiology to fit their role. I designed Shade as spindly and slender because it fits the design of him and his arms, as well as something more agile and inconspicuous. He doesn't look exactly like Alad's dog, but then I didn't think that was goal--the goal is something similar, not a duplicate.

AI would indeed be an issue, and these might be more complicated to implement even if DE does like them. That's why I'm not putting too awful much effort into the concepts just yet.

It's a very nice and unique concept, however it doesn't really look TOO much like Alad's pet.

Either way, It's a concept, so no penalties awarded. :p

In relevance to the OP's post, he said that each Dock should be the same, but changes depending on the Sentinel, so I'm guessing same general shape yet more defined features? Such as the sniper rifle on Shade, the Wyrm may have a bazooka, or Dethcube may have dual chainguns and rocket pods. I don't know :s

Not exactly what I meant so let me clarify. Alad's pet shares certain characteristics and movements that mimic the behavior of lupine species. Personally I don't care if it looks like Alad's pet, the point is for it to function in a similar way that remains unique to the sentinel both in role and appearance. I apologize if I confused anyone.

960188_10151931743139000_933130591_n.jpg

I like this design. It fits the overall look of shade rather well and I like the way you had shade itself dock on the head, it looks a little bit like a cowl now that I think about it. I don't worry, I'll see who I can get to work on a refined version so if you feel up to it post a 3D model of it so we can get a better look at it. I only have one suggestion, instead of having the rifle mounted on the shoulder why not place it just above its neck? The white space there looks like a good place to hide a retractable gun barrel. I still like the design but the rifle on the shoulder feels like it takes away from the smooth design.

Not exactly what I meant so let me clarify. Alad's pet shares certain characteristics and movements that mimic the behavior of lupine species. Personally I don't care if it looks like Alad's pet, the point is for it to function in a similar way that remains unique to the sentinel both in role and appearance. I apologize if I confused anyone.

Oh okay. Well either way, I guess having each Sentinel version of the Dock to look more varied would be better.

However, I guess what kind of threw me off about the design was Shade's huge bulbous head plastered onto the body like that.

It works, but personally it just feels kind of weird seeing the cute little ball of death enlarged 10 times. I was thinking the Sentinel could be attached on either the belly or dorsal side of the platform, with all the models having a similar head with maybe a few different features.

That's just my two cents on it, but as for the rest of the body, it looks pretty damn good. Also what Aden said about the sniper rifle above the neck. <3

It's not enlarged ten times. Shade itself is exactly the size it is now. This isn't supposed to be some huge hulking monstrosity, its small and agile, like Shade itself is. It's a stealth Warmonger.

As for the sniper I'll be sure to take that into consideration in future versions.

Edited by Siubijeni

No problem. The Warmongers will probably be sized slightly differently to fit their different roles but the goal is to keep them somewhat similar in size to Alad's pet. By comparing the shade portion of the drawing to the drawing as a whole, you can see that the Reaper is significantly larger than a sentinel, but not immense--perhaps 4-6 times as massive? Just a quick guesstimate.

Comparing the pet to Alad in the screenshots in which they are both present, its shoulder seems to be slightly higher than his knee. Guesstimating again, I'd say Shade's main body is probably about the size of the pet's head, perhaps even slightly smaller. Given the similar proportions of them as quadrupeds, I'd say Reaper is probably slightly smaller than the pet, but they are indeed very similar in size.

Edited by Siubijeni