Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

"zorencoptering Glitch Abuse"

shut

EDIT:

Please read my suggestion before commenting. I'm seeing a lot of assumptions being made by people who didn't read through to the point that I'm trying to make. Almost everyone who has commented so far has assumed that I am suggesting Zorencoptering be removed.

People,

I am not suggesting that Zorencoptering be removed. Please do not misinterpret this. 

To cut to the chase and see what I'm suggesting, scroll down to Suggestion #4.

At the absolute least, read the TL;DR before commenting.

Greetin's.

So, I'm sure that most of you are well aware of what Zorencoptering is. For the few who don't, it's basically just doing a slide attack in midair with a fast melee weapon (the fastest of which is the Dual Zoren, hence the name), which will send your Warframe hurtling forward at high speeds in the air for no discernible reason.

It is most certainly unintended, and is essentially taking advantage of the flaws of the game's movement system; however, many players currently find it incredibly useful and will be incredibly angry if it ever gets fixed, which is likely why it hasn't been touched as of yet.

Some people have suggested things including (and not limited to):

1. Zorencoptering stays as it is, untouched.

The argument here usually being the undeniable fact that Zorencoptering is what makes certain melee weapons much more viable than they would be otherwise, and is incredibly useful when used effectively, even in the thick of combat.

As fun and useful as it is to use, however, there are many people (myself included) who feel that it goes against the original "ninja"-esque theme of the game. Launching yourself across maps via unintentional flaws in a game engine does not feel ninja at all to many players; it just feels like you're abusing a game engine. This becomes especially apparent when you realize that the airborne Slide Attack animations are (right down to the "running" animation after the swing is complete) the ones that were intended for when Slide Attacks are used on the ground.

Many players like this feature, but, for new players and for players who want their game to be as bug/exploit-free as possible, the animations blatantly show that this awesome, useful feature is just a major bug. This causes a huge hit to the player's sense of immersion.

2. Zorencoptering is removed by removing any and all momentum changes when using a Slide attack. This can already be seen when attempting to Zorencopter while having Hikou, Kunai, or Despair active (essentially, a glitch that prevents this glitch from happening).

As much as this would help get that sense of immersion going for newer players and feel much more realistic, it would of course cause players to lose the ability of Zorencoptering (which would be an outrage for many of the current players) and lose the ability of getting a quick speed boost while on the ground (which some players who refrain from Zorencoptering sometimes enjoy using, since it gives a much less glitchy and much more "ninja" feel than doing it while in the air with nothing to push off of).

In addition, the ground animations would still be readily visible if the player were to stay in the air for long enough after doing a Slide Attack, i.e. off a high ledge, during a Super Jump, etc..

3. Zorencoptering is removed by removing momentum changes when using a Slide Attack in the air.

This would allow players to continue dashing forwards while on the ground, and will prevent the glitchy immersion-breaking Zorencopter from happening. However, most of the previous issues are still in play. It would be an outrage to a large portion of the community and would still have a noticeably glitched appearance if the player remains airborne for too long.

Plus, players would be able to launch themselves off edges of platforms and the like, which would only feel like a tedious, very-glitchy workaround to the old Zorencoptering.

My suggestion, and the reason that this thread is in the Art & Animation Feedback section:

4. Leave the system as it is, but create new Slide Attack animations specifically used when in the air.

Essentially, the current Slide Attack animation would be replaced by a different animation when Slide Attack is used in the air (although Slide Attacks used on the ground would remain unchanged). The feet would no longer be positioned as though they were supposed to be touching a floor when executing the animation. After the animation, the character acts as though (s)he is still in the air (similar to the position held after executing a Wall Attack with a Dual weapon), as opposed to having their legs executing the running animation right away before the player is anywhere near the ground.

This way:

-Pro-Zorencopter players would retain their ability while gaining some more sensible animations, and would be affected only for the better, if at all.

-Pro-Immersion players would still notice an odd shift in the character's momentum, but it can instead be attributed to the specifics of the character's motion rather than a bug (even if it does still break the laws of momentum and center of mass and the like). It would still look "a bit off" to some skeptical players, but that's nothing new in a fantasy video game, and is infinitely less detrimental to the player's immersion than using a maneuver that is, judging from the current animations, a gamechanging exploit of a bug.

The animation change would be a huge plus to these players.

-The animation change would remove that "bug"-like feel of Zorencoptering that made it painfully obvious to the player that it was not an intended feature. This will help many players maintain immersion.

-There is no downside to this change compared to the original system that I can think of off the top of my head, other than the fact that, of course, animations have to be made.

TL;DR: Change the animations of Zorencoptering to make it look like less of an immersion-breaking bug. Turn Zorencoptering from a glitch into a feature.

So, yeah. Thoughts? Suggestions? Tweaks?

Edited by SortaRandom

I think this is a feature of the game that does NOT need to be addressed.

It is within the confines of the weapon/movement mechanics of the game.

Maneuverability is critical to gameplay in Warframe, and anything that nerfs/erodes that, I am against.

Thoughts: This has been in the game since closed beta and a lot of the older members of the community play this game because of the pacing; part of which is knife-skating.

This was already tested before; when they take it out a lot of people get upset and stop playing till they put it back in. It's a bit late in the game to take it out at this point.

Not wanting to remove/fix it, but rather see an air-slide animation that is the frame going head-first  and spinning around itself in that axis while propelling itself forward... not sure what you call that type of move nowadays.

Edited by ScorpDK

If they removed the last good reason I still play this game I'd be done till Warframes "Official Release" and see if all the glaring problems have been taken care of... I mean... I don't think I could stand not being able to kamacopter, zorencopter, or ichorcopter anymore... it would literally... kill me. I'm so used to coptering behind mobs and blasting em with my guns at this point that I find myself doing it when I don't even want to do it... just... don't... touch movement anymore... Stamina re-re-work already made my rush runs more derpy then need be.

Momentum mechanics like this have been addressed by the Devs in the past...and then quickly reverted. Sometimes unintended bugs like this bring something completely unthought of, but useful/interesting enough to keep.

Im sure you saw a lot of it during the event due to the speed running nature of it and it looks like it made you mad for some reason. That's ok, but I don't think we are going to see any changes to Zorencopters. Hek, it gives Dual Zorens a purpose in the current state of the Metagame.

If it wasn't intended it would've been fixed when Rebecca was "surprised" how fast you moved when you did it during one of the Prime Times. If they remove it, they're just going to piss off more players like they did with the Stamina rework.

Edited by Colorswirl

ive never been a fan of zoren-coptering honestly.

sadly, to keep up with some of the teams i run into, its necessary to use from time to time.

i can see the argument from both sides, but regardless of what they do, DE will never be able to make enough people happy to call it a "win".

they can tweak and change everything or keep it all the same and as if in spite of them, people will still find something similar and abuse the hell out of it till enough people complain and they seek to fix that too.

stop being a whiny baby about something that doesnt affect you at all. I dont like how the vaubans face looks, does that mean it should be removed from the game too? The argument about it not being 'ninja' is just dumb in a game with shotguns, assault rifles, and superpowers

Updated original post.

As much as I like your guys' feedback, I would appreciate it if you guys read and understood my suggestion rather than jumping to conclusions and thinking that I'm another anti-Copterer.

To clarify here and now, I am not suggesting that Zorencoptering is removed.

Ok, I see what you're getting at; yes, giving knife-skating it's own animation would be a great thing to do so it can be reigned in from unintended bug to feature.

I'm still never calling it "Zorencoptering" when it was knife-skating back in u6 =P

screw the haters

zorencopter was always unintentional, and it should be removed, when DE did the big stamina overhaul and the community raged, DE should have stuck to their guns, instead they reversed their changes and let it stay

they got rid of the majority of the wavedashing, zorencopter needs to go next

screw the haters, its $&*&*#(%& looking and it hurts the overall balance becuz its a crutch, take it out and figure out how to give us more/better movement options

btw i am a zorencopter-er, so i know what im talking about, i do it all the time, and i hate that its ingame

screw the haters, its $&*&*#(%& looking

cant really argue with that honestly...

i always seem to see rhino players using it, and just after doing so their legs look so damn goofy that its painful.

little stubby legs flailing around at 100 mph, freaks me right the hell out.

screw the haters

zorencopter was always unintentional, and it should be removed, when DE did the big stamina overhaul and the community raged, DE should have stuck to their guns, instead they reversed their changes and let it stay

they got rid of the majority of the wavedashing, zorencopter needs to go next

screw the haters, its $&*&*#(%& looking and it hurts the overall balance becuz its a crutch, take it out and figure out how to give us more/better movement options

btw i am a zorencopter-er, so i know what im talking about, i do it all the time, and i hate that its ingame

Yes, make your client base angry and do things that have caused groups of veteran players to leave a game over an unintentional bug that isn't game breaking. What could go wrong, right? I mean, so what if WF loses chunks of their most playing and paying client base, it's about to drop on PS4 right?

Not wanting to remove/fix it, but rather see an air-slide animation that is the frame going head-first  and spinning around itself in that axis while propelling itself forward... not sure what you call that type of move nowadays.

Zorendrills that will pierce the heavens. 

I do think fixing the animation to appear as if this is intended would be best. It is a crucial part of mobility in warframe right now, and either needs to be replaced with something equally effective or made to look real. 

I have always been against removing the Zorencopter until movement sees a massive improvement in the game at its core levels. Moving in Warframe is very clunky and slow half of the time, so the Zorencopter provides an alleviation to the failings of the base system. If you want it gone, make movement work in a way that doesn't have most players stopping to walk every 10 seconds. Ninjas are NEVER suppose to be so slow they can't maintain a running gait for more than one room. I don't care how fat your Rhino is...

I can get down on a new animation though with the existing system though..

Nope, I'd still like coptering to be removed, especially since it's based on a glitch. This bug needs to be fixed with every weapon that can spin attack at a reasonable speed, though, not just dual Zorens. Basically, anything that allows you to move that fast compared to your normal movement, run and volts speed ability should be nerfed, fixed or removed, depending on the situation.

There in lies the bigger issue while knife skating is in the game there is less reason to chage the movement system away from using this as a crutch.

Remove it or make it look inteneded will work to help keep the pressure on making the movement system better.

'Zoren-coptering' is an unintended exploit of the mechanics. It should therefore be removed. Instead, player movement should be improved in fluidity and speed (the recent stamina change was a step in the wrong direction with regard to that) such that players do not feel the need to utilise such exploits.