Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Lore Question, Relating To The War Event And The Tenno

unmog

Okay, so here's my question and I hope it's not something super obvious that I missed but here I go anyway.

How many Tenno are there supposed to be in the universe?

That's right... probably not what you were expecting but lets think about this for a second okay? Is everyone who plays technically a Tenno, and thus there are perhaps millions of us?

Or is there theoretically only a handful of Tenno, like one of each of the available warframes we play. Aka, 15-ish. Ash, Banshee, Ember, Excalibur, Frost, Loki, Mag, Nekros, Nova, Nyx, Rhino, Saryn, Trinity, Vauban and Volt.

I do say 15-ish though since there are prime versions of, possibly, each Warframe as well that may or may not be sepperate, the Stalker, and of course the, perhaps unfinished, Tenno in the Cryo tubes that we rescue all the time.

The reason I ask this is because Ive always thought of each warframe as a character, since there isnt like male and female versions of each. Plus in all the videos DE has done for warframe we never see duplicates, aka, more than one Excalibur and so on. So if there's only a couple handfuls of Tenno it would make a lot of sense according to the Lore that were re-emerging and probably why we haven't ourselves tried attacking a planet and taking over nodes.

But, if there are litterally millions of us and the warframes are just suits that we can wear, it raises other questions. Like 1, why does my gender change all the time depending on the suit I wear. If they're suits, how do we get in and out of them? The lore behind Dark Sector was he couldn't get out of it and it was merging with him right?

And while we're at it, how many Grineer/Corpus is there? I know I've personally killed something like 100,000 something or other enemies, and Im assuming theres plenty of others with about the same or even more. Shouldn't we have made a pretty big dent in their numbers by now? Especially when considering the war/conflict just now, and the ones before it. I'd really like to see a number of enemy casulties in this and past conflicts actually. :)

But the reason I ask is to get a basic idea of the strength of our "Tenno Faction". Are we a handful of super elite assassins and mercenaries, or are we littlerally a growing super power in our own right? I also had a cool idea for a video, DE you're more than welcome to use it!

Imagine this, a squad of 4 tenno are running through a battlefield, it's all out chaos. Grineer and Corpus armies are shredding one another, but this group of tenno are speeding through the battlefield blasting and chopping enemies and generally making them look like the chumps they are. The enemies start to notice them, trying to surround them, but using their special abilities they cut an escape route through them. The Tenno are getting shot and chased, and they leap past down a hill for cover. But as the enemies chasing them rise the crest of the hill, below them they see an army of Tenno sprinting in the direction of the battlefield. Horrified a Grineer commander tries relaying a warning, but it's too late as an ambush of other Tenno fall down upon him from the rocks above. End scene.

Seriously though, think of how badass your squad of 4 typically is, and how many enemies you kill in a single mission. Then imagine it on a much larger scale. Is that even possible? it might be if there's more than just a handful of us...

There's so many questions related to this one that only DE has the answers to. 

The lore will come in its due time.

Well of course guys, but it's still fun to speculate so everyone feel free to give your opinions and reasons why.

I imagine there are way too many different Warframes. Excal, Frost, and those lot are unique. I also like to imagine that Rhino, Thrak and Vanguard could all be slightly different Warframes. (What I mean is that each an every one of the ~3 million Tenno is different. We can only pick from a handful of faceless, voiceless characters.)

Edited by Lumireaver

In reply to the amount of enemies in the game...

There would be no game if there was a limit.

Also, read The Lotus' post about the Gravidus event. Our job is to restore peace and stability to the system. Killing ALL of the Corpus/Grineer in the system wouldn't necessarily accomplish our task.

We'd just be a bunch of Genocidal suit-clad space ninjas.

Edit: Grammars :p

Edited by Ozzie387

Well of course guys, but it's still fun to speculate so everyone feel free to give your opinions and reasons why.

I'm not saying no, just telling you to have a little patience. Everybody's crazy about the lore, especially about its relation with this recent event and its possible past and future, and people still want to know more.

I imagine there are way too many different Warframes. Excal, Frost, and those lot are unique. I also like to imagine that Rhino, Thrak and Vanguard could all be slightly different Warframes. (What I mean is that each an every one of the ~3 million Tenno is different. We can only pick from a handful of faceless, voiceless characters.)

Ah thats a good point too, i didnt even think of the different helmet variations. So what you mean is there might be base types, like excaliburs, but they each have different faces and personalities. I suppose that could work too, to some extent. And like, maybe all excaliburs are always male, all Nyx's are female.

If thats so I wonder if, as a player then, I actually control a squad of Tenno myself and am not actually one. Like ICly, and when I'm not doing anything all my warframes are hanging out talking, training and so on. if so... then who am I? Like a mini Lotus?

Edited by unmog

Considering how big a solar system is, and if you take into account that there is about one billion human beings that are alive on earth right now it's; Now imagine how many people could live when the entire solar system is inhabited. If so then 15 or 20 Tenno would be spread too thin to make that much of a difference. So there must be more, and if there is more, then you might as well have a million.

If Tenno are in abundance "Theory" then I'm pretty sure not all Tenno are the exact same size, It would be great to have Special Sliders like in MMORPGs to change width length etc.

Unless this brings another Theory that specific Tenno were cloned to be bearers of that specific Warframe. Attached to this theory would be that the Grineer found broken cloning *Technology* from the Orokin Era. Of course since it was damaged the cloning wasn't perfect therefore Decaying became the side-effect.

DUN DUN DUUUUUUNNNN

Your Welcome.

If Tenno are in abundance "Theory" then I'm pretty sure not all Tenno are the exact same size, It would be great to have Special Sliders like in MMORPGs to change width length etc.

Unless this brings another Theory that specific Tenno were cloned to be bearers of that specific Warframe. Attached to this theory would be that the Grineer found broken cloning *Technology* from the Orokin Era. Of course since it was damaged the cloning wasn't perfect therefore Decaying became the side-effect.

This would actually make a lot of sense.

Edited by CaptainPeanut

As lotus has posted that we are one million tenno now when the player player base hit 1 mil. I think that there is not only one Ash or one Excalibur, Warframes are suits and Each warframe is used by multiple tenno.

ALSO, why can clans exist then???

Edited by Genoscythe

DUN DUN DUUUUUUNNNN

Your Welcome.

So you think we're actually all clones too then, like the Grineer? Thats the first I've heard of it, but it would fit well with my "Would you Kindly?" Lotus theory, except this time the Lotus didn't tell us which side to support. :p If we're all clones it makes more sense why all the tenno are the same body build too and thus no special body sliders are available. ;) But that would be cool as well, I've been wanting more character customization than just colors and scarves for awhile.

Also what was up with the "You don't have eyes" comment Alad V would say? Thats the first time I heard that brought up, like, ever. When did we stop having eyes? I always assumed I could see through my helmet like a 1 way mirror or special sensors somewhere. Now I dont have eyes? I'm blind? NOOOOOOO~ But then it makes all my bad-assery even more bad &#! when you consider I'm shooting all those people while doing backflips... AND Im blind. >.>

As lotus has posted that we are one million tenno now when the player player base hit 1 mil. I think that there is not only one Ash or one Excalibur, Warframes are suits and Each warframe is used by multiple tenno.

ALSO, why can clans exist then???

I was wondering the same thing, I just forgot to bring up Clans. I was wondering if Clans were actually In Character or not and actually existed within the Lore. If so, the big Clans would be like... space Capitals then or something right?

Edited by unmog

DE seems just too lazy to finally bring us gender swap, and if they excuse it with each warframe being a unique person, they will REALLY piss off the community, as it kills customization and before all player identification with his tenno. Hope they wont ruin the lore by making each warframe a unique character, because, if that, im out.

This is not street fighter we are not like "choose your character", clans and pretty much the whole war(event?) in its scale would make no more sense then.

Really, DE. Mess up the game with PvP, mess up the game with missing balance, but PLEASE, dont mess this up.

Over and out.

If we became a superpower, how would that maintain the balance? Although i do have to say that i can only imagine the faces of the enemies regarding an army of Tenno charging them. I thought of a similar idea for the finally of the event, like Alad V sitting in his stronghold where he was holding the Tenno captive and an armada of Grineer ships led by Ruk's flagship show up, and then when the fight is going, the Clan "citadels" would come out of the void and the Tenno would swarm the stronghold and Alad escapes to plot his revenge in the Grineer victory, or vice versa with the Corpus ships devastating the Grineer armada with Ruk's flagship and a few others limping away if the Corpus had won.

Edited by StevangarCronox

They talked about this already. Similar Warframes; Different skills. (e.g.: Nyx is Excalibur's sister & was the female Excalibur.)

How long would this take to make so many new frames and skills? I dont want to have to wait till update 40 until I can finally play a male nova. Putting it in as skins would be OK too I think. Also it would double the time for each new frame to be released, pretty much doubling it, instead of just changing the animation set and model a bit.

Im not ok with this, they gave us a (completely half-assed)pvp because people wanted it, but are not willing to give us an addition that more people want, and that would be more logic to give us.

How long would this take to make so many new frames and skills? I dont want to have to wait till update 40 until I can finally play a male nova. Putting it in as skins would be OK too I think. Also it would double the time for each new frame to be released, pretty much doubling it, instead of just changing the animation set and model a bit.

Im not ok with this, they gave us a (completely half-assed)pvp because people wanted it, but are not willing to give us an addition that more people want, and that would be more logic to give us.

Why would you want to gender-swap, honestly?

Why would you want to gender-swap, honestly?

I can understand this so Ill take a stab at answering it.

Its for personal identity. We get a name, a color pallete, different helmets to choose, but cant really customize our warframe. If we had the ability to pick the gender skin of a warframe, maybe a height slider at least, we could personalize them to more. Maybe some people want to invision their tenno as actually being them in a warframe suit they can wear you know?

Either way it would be way easier than making a male/female version of each warframe each with different powers.

I can understand this so Ill take a stab at answering it.

Its for personal identity. We get a name, a color pallete, different helmets to choose, but cant really customize our warframe. If we had the ability to pick the gender skin of a warframe, maybe a height slider at least, we could personalize them to more. Maybe some people want to invision their tenno as actually being them in a warframe suit they can wear you know?

Either way it would be way easier than making a male/female version of each warframe each with different powers.

You can customize your Warframe as far as possible. Picking out colors and an helmet already makes you unique. Nobody cares about a little change in height, besides all Warframes have slightly different heights. And the gender? I wouldn't mind, but it has already been answered to what they intend to make out of it and I completely understand. They've already made up their mind and gone through it. My head says no, because I like their unique Warframes and personas you can come up with or their existing background story.

Maybe gender-swapping could be made available as cosmetic changes. Who knows?

JRMC, on 30 Oct 2013 - 7:46 PM, said:

You can customize your Warframe as far as possible. Picking out colors and an helmet already makes you unique. Nobody cares about a little change in height, besides all Warframes have slightly different heights. [snip]

You, and I think DE, are underestimating the lengths many people in online games will go to stand out/be unique. People will expend a good deal of time, effort, and even money to look different than that other player who is Class/Race X. Play any dedicated online multiplayer game and it becomes obvious the average player wants to stand out from the crowd, even if that difference is a few inches of height that is only noticeable when in a line up.

We can already see that in Warframe with not only the color variations people use, but also with how many people buy the little cosmetic add ons for their sentinels, a functionally useless thing to do or spend plat on.

It seems that only games like DOTA 2 picked up on this though, everyone else is still living by the atrocious model of buying actual stat items or time convenience.

DE would do better adding cosmetics and cosmetic options as content for players than constantly subjecting the game to power creep with a new non-cosmetic weapon every few updates.

Considering how big a solar system is, and if you take into account that there is about one billion human beings that are alive on earth right now it's; Now imagine how many people could live when the entire solar system is inhabited. If so then 15 or 20 Tenno would be spread too thin to make that much of a difference. So there must be more, and if there is more, then you might as well have a million.

Underestimating the current population of Earth by just a tad... it's actually right around 7 billion (China and India alone account for about 2.5 billion). ;-)

Regardless, the point kinda stands. I agree - if we're talking just double-digit Tenno, there's no way they could have a big enough impact in the Solar system to make a real difference. It makes a lot more sense that each user is an individual Tenno, and the frames are just armor (I also prefer this reasoning for the simple reason that it means each user's frames are unique, they're not just running the same Frost/Frost Prime, Rhino, etc.)